Anyone else dealing with a weird anxiety about Darnold?

T0mShane

I don’t know what it is, but I’m watching the replay of the Falcons game on NFLN and the drive where Darnold throws the TD to Charles Johnson just played through. There were penalties on the drive, a dropped pass,  and plenty of inside pressure, but Darnold just kept dropping back, making a read, and throwing the ball to the right guy. After scoring the TD, Darnold doesn’t even react; he just kinda trots to the sideline and starts talking to McCown about the series, at one point demonstrating to McCown what he was seeing from behind center. 

This is in addition to what he’s been doing off the field, which is absolutely nothing. There are no mentions on Page Six, no self-serving promotional tour, no photo spreads in fey designer clothes, no articles about him working over some skeezers at Nobu. Nothing. 

It just seems incongruous to be as (seemingly) good as he is without having the need to market that level of goodness, or to use that level of goodness to get laid by 18-ish year old Czech supermodels. 

So, either he’s (1) not really that good or (2) he’s that good, but is hiding some sh*t, or (3) he’s a cyborg. 

Anyone else got the people’s eyebrow going on these days? 

E7B96F29-C2A8-482E-8ADE-6ADB05570F84.gif

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He is New York’s next Derek Jeter?

I heard the same thing about Sanchez, but the difference between Sanchez and Darnold is that Sanchez had that Arod quality to him, where it almost seemed like he was following a script he read from a book titled "How to be a Franchise QB in NY for Dummies" - it just didn't seem natural and always seemed like he was trying to say/do the right thing so that the NY Media wouldn't murder him after a 5-int game. The left side of his brain and mouth was saying "I just need to work harder than everyone and be the best teammate I can be" while the right side of his brain was fisting 17 year old hedge-fund babies from Connecticut. He cared more about being on the cover of GQ than he did about limiting his turnovers, and that's what eventually got him run out of town.

Darnold, on the other hand, carries himself with a blue-collar mentality that you don't see in many hot-shot LA QBs. He doesn't seem to have any interest in partying, banging models, or wearing Mink Coats on the sideline. He seems like a legit lunch-pale kind of guy. It's actually quite refreshing.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’m worried that I’m going to turn into everything I despise about pats fans after Darnold wins his 6th Super Bowl MVP for the Jets.

Judging by the Parcells and Mangini eras, the majority of Jets fans respond to prosperity by crying out in agony. 

3 minutes ago, GATA-Bot said:

He's a cyborg, I'm a cyborg. It happens we're bettering humanity one day at a time.

Can not wait until I have to call customer service regarding my Gata cyborg and they tell me I wasn’t supposed to smother it in butter. 

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know what it is, but I’m watching the replay of the Falcons game on NFLN and the drive where Darnold throws the TD to Charles Johnson just played through. There were penalties on the drive, a dropped pass,  and plenty of inside pressure, but Darnold just kept dropping back, making a read, and throwing the ball to the right guy. After scoring the TD, Darnold doesn’t even react; he just kinda trots to the sideline and starts talking to McCown about the series, at one point demonstrating to McCown what he was seeing from behind center. 

This is in addition to what he’s been doing off the field, which is absolutely nothing. There are no mentions on Page Six, no self-serving promotional tour, no photo spreads in fey designer clothes, no articles about him working over some skeezers at Nobu. Nothing. 

It just seems incongruous to be as (seemingly) good as he is without having the need to market that level of goodness, or to use that level of goodness to get laid by 18-ish year old Czech supermodels. 

So, either he’s (1) not really that good or (2) he’s that good, but is hiding some sh*t, or (3) he’s a cyborg. 

Anyone else got the people’s eyebrow going on these days? 

E7B96F29-C2A8-482E-8ADE-6ADB05570F84.gif

I think we got the right guy.  Talented but a quiet guy/hard worker.  Meanwhile Baker has off-the-field issues, Rosen has injury concerns and questionable leadership, and Allen has accuracy issues.

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He is also the only one of his friends that wears a shirt. Something dint right. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is what I’m talking about. Exactly! ******* guy has a dad-bod!

Dad-bods is the new hand size measurement. All the greats either have it or they don’t. Name me a great QB who was jacked. Go on. I’ll wait.

DE0E3DF1-BC36-4A95-BF57-2074FA720B04.jpeg

Archived