Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TuscanyTile2

New York Jets Playoff History

Recommended Posts

I came across this page and had to share.  It's crazy we haven't played a home playoff game since 2002.  We had 2 home playoff games in the 1960's (though we were a a new franchise and came into existence late in that decade), 0 in the 1970's, 3 in the 1980's, 1 in the 1990's, 1 in the 2000's and so far 0 in the 2010's.

Since the merger (post 1969 I believe), we've had exactly 1 home playoff game in the divisional round or later (vs Jax under Parcells). 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/playoffs.htm

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2002.  What a year.  Beat GB at home in the last game of the season to win the division.  Then Chad throws 3 tds and beat manning and the colts in the playoffs.

Too bad we ran into a really good, super bowl bound oakland team the following week.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2002.  What a year.  Beat GB at home in the last game of the season to win the division.  Then Chad throws 3 tds and beat manning and the colts in the playoffs.

Too bad we ran into a really good, super bowl bound oakland team the following week.  

Your description, in my view, is  being kind.  To me, Chad showed his true colors.  The team was flat and was simply not ready. THAT became Chad's M.O.  We had no offense .

Flashes of "stuff" but when the heat got hot, he melted.

 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Your description, in my view, is  being kind.  To me, Chad showed his true colors.  The team was flat and was simply not ready. THAT became Chad's M.O.  We had no offense .

Flashes of "stuff" but when the heat got hot, he melted.

 

The following week they smoked the tennesse titans and held an nfl mvp in steve mcnair to under 200 yards passing.  Did McNair melt?

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap - our more recent playoff win was that awesome game in New England (in 2011).  I really think we're due for a playoff game either this year or next.  I know it's a lot to ask for this year but who knows.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Your description, in my view, is  being kind.  To me, Chad showed his true colors.  The team was flat and was simply not ready. THAT became Chad's M.O.  We had no offense .

Flashes of "stuff" but when the heat got hot, he melted.

 

So his true colors was losing to a really good Raider team, in Ca.  Chrebet down.  

Not beating up on Favre and the Packers and then Manning and the Colts 41-0?

Two of the best days ever at GS.  That GB game, after watching the Pats-Fins on the scoreboard, priceless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

It’s amazing that Mark Sanchez has the most playoff Ws of any Jets QB. Goes to show you the importance of a good OLine 

… and a good defense and some good RB's

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Your description, in my view, is  being kind.  To me, Chad showed his true colors.  The team was flat and was simply not ready. THAT became Chad's M.O.  We had no offense .

Flashes of "stuff" but when the heat got hot, he melted.

 

I’m forced to agree with this. My most vivid memory of that game was the look on Chad’s face as the Jets fell behind. Defeated. Overwhelmed. I don’t want to say deer-in-the-headlights, but it was close. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rexorcism said:

Thanks for the reminder.

 

who the **** cares? Everything is riding on the future here...

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Holy crap - our more recent playoff win was that awesome game in New England (in 2011).  I really think we're due for a playoff game either this year or next.  I know it's a lot to ask for this year but who knows.

That was 7 yrs ago, insane, it feels like just yesterday.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I’m forced to agree with this. My most vivid memory of that game was the look on Chad’s face as the Jets fell behind. Defeated. Overwhelmed. I don’t want to say deer-in-the-headlights, but it was close. 

 

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So his true colors was losing to a really good Raider team, in Ca.  Chrebet down.  

Not beating up on Favre and the Packers and then Manning and the Colts 41-0?

Two of the best days ever at GS.  That GB game, after watching the Pats-Fins on the scoreboard, priceless. 

 

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The following week they smoked the tennesse titans and held an nfl mvp in steve mcnair to under 200 yards passing.  Did McNair melt?

 

 

We all remember the game as we want but in my view , we came out flat and Oakland did not play that well. I remember being in the 3rd QTR and still in it but we couldn't get anything going.  That type of game became vintage Chad.  Great games that got the fan base excited followed by FLAT performances. I enjoyed the GB-Colts 2 in a row as much as anyone BUT the Oakland loss was a SMH moment as we came out flat and stayed flat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We all remember the game as we want but in my view , we came out flat and Oakland did not play that well. I remember being in the 3rd QTR and still in it but we couldn't get anything going.  That type of game became vintage Chad.  Great games that got the fan base excited followed by FLAT performances. I enjoyed the GB-Colts 2 in a row as much as anyone BUT the Oakland loss was a SMH moment as we came out flat and stayed flat.

We started that game with a 3-0 lead, fell behind 10-3 and were tied at the half, 10-10.  Chrebet went out at some point and Pennington had a bad 2nd half.  Don't remember losing because we were flat, just that we lost to a 12 win, SB team at their stadium.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THAT '99 Game vs. Jax WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!

What a GREAT day that was to end the College Winter Holiday Break!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LETS GO JETS, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not really complicated. In the modern setup you essentially need to win the division to host a playoff game and the Pats have owned the division for the last two decades.

Hopefully the rise of Darnold and the end of Brady will signal a change.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bumped this for a reminder... this decade has been one of the single worst decades the NY Jets franchise has ever had. 

Can we please start the 2020’s off with a playoff run? Please.

I don’t think we’re far off..in part because I believe JD understands wtf needs to happen as much as we do, didn’t feel that way with Maccagnan. He was off script from the very start. The flaws are obvious. He’ll get them patched.

Here’s to believing in this team next year. I think we can make a run soon and #14 will be the one under center.

 

PS. It’s okay to trade Jamal — it’s gonna speed this thing up.😃

755285F7-E2F1-4205-95CF-2D9680E29323.jpeg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2018 at 7:25 PM, jetstream23 said:

Interesting.  I've been to 3 of those games and looking at them in that table I'm realizing that one was in each decade (80's, 90's, 00's) and they were all W's.   You know what that means.......either this year or next we're winning another playoff game! :D 

 

image.png.6e94c9e44a8538ef51c7c9d39f81e17d.png

 

No, what this means is we took a decade off.  lol. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

No, what this means is we took a decade off.  lol. 

We took a decade off after SB3 also. 7 year gap between 91’s playoff appearance and 98’ and then we were fairly competitive in the 00’s. 

Sad to say how proud I am over the 6 appearances we had from 2000 -2010.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Jets fans are to impatient, Obviously. 🙄 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep, the jets haven't had many home playoff games.  on the other hand it seems like there is a greater percentage of wild card teams that advance and even win the superbowl than there used to be and not just because they went to a 2 team format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well Jets fans are to impatient, Obviously. 🙄 

Its hilarious when someone accuses Jets fans of being obsessed with instant gratification. 

The only thing more ridiculous would be accusing Jets fans of being bangwagoneers.

The upside of being generally awful is that only the diehards remain. We have one of the most loyal fan bases in sport. When I was a kid, my soccer team never won a game. Parents stopped showing up. OUR PARENTS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep, the jets haven't had many home playoff games.  on the other hand it seems like there is a greater percentage of wild card teams that advance and even win the superbowl than there used to be and not just because they went to a 2 team format.

Very true. This will be my 41st year of season tickets, and I've seen 5 home playoff games.  3-2 record. Long overdue for another.😎

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, section314 said:

Very true. This will be my 41st year of season tickets, and I've seen 5 home playoff games.  3-2 record. Long overdue for another.😎

Same here, only 44 years. 😔

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I came across this page and had to share.  It's crazy we haven't played a home playoff game since 2002.  We had 2 home playoff games in the 1960's (though we were a a new franchise and came into existence late in that decade), 0 in the 1970's, 3 in the 1980's, 1 in the 1990's, 1 in the 2000's and so far 0 in the 2010's.

Since the merger (post 1969 I believe), we've had exactly 1 home playoff game in the divisional round or later (vs Jax under Parcells). 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/playoffs.htm

image.png

Since 02 you have to win your division to get a home game (or get lucky for a conference championship game which we almost did in 09 if Baltimore beat Indy) and we've been stuck with the greatest dynasty in the sport in our division during this period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep, the jets haven't had many home playoff games.  on the other hand it seems like there is a greater percentage of wild card teams that advance and even win the superbowl than there used to be and not just because they went to a 2 team format.

Not really and certainly not recently.  A Wild Card team hasn't made the Super Bowl since the Packers in 2010.  The last 10 years have been dominated by the teams that earned a bye.  The last team to win a Super Bowl outside of the top 2 seeds in either Conference?  Ravens, 2012.  

3/4 teams in the Conference title games this year were teams that got a bye.  

The overall numbers:  Since the league instituted a seeding system in 1975, the No. 1 or No. 2 seeds have reached the Super Bowl 71 times while all other seeds got there 17 times. Only 10 of the 44 champions in that span were seeded Nos. 3-6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...