New York Jets Playoff History

I came across this page and had to share.  It's crazy we haven't played a home playoff game since 2002.  We had 2 home playoff games in the 1960's (though we were a a new franchise and came into existence late in that decade), 0 in the 1970's, 3 in the 1980's, 1 in the 1990's, 1 in the 2000's and so far 0 in the 2010's.

Since the merger (post 1969 I believe), we've had exactly 1 home playoff game in the divisional round or later (vs Jax under Parcells). 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/playoffs.htm

image.png

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2002.  What a year.  Beat GB at home in the last game of the season to win the division.  Then Chad throws 3 tds and beat manning and the colts in the playoffs.

Too bad we ran into a really good, super bowl bound oakland team the following week.  

Your description, in my view, is  being kind.  To me, Chad showed his true colors.  The team was flat and was simply not ready. THAT became Chad's M.O.  We had no offense .

Flashes of "stuff" but when the heat got hot, he melted.

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Your description, in my view, is  being kind.  To me, Chad showed his true colors.  The team was flat and was simply not ready. THAT became Chad's M.O.  We had no offense .

The following week they smoked the tennesse titans and held an nfl mvp in steve mcnair to under 200 yards passing.  Did McNair melt?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

So his true colors was losing to a really good Raider team, in Ca.  Chrebet down.  

Not beating up on Favre and the Packers and then Manning and the Colts 41-0?

Two of the best days ever at GS.  That GB game, after watching the Pats-Fins on the scoreboard, priceless. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m forced to agree with this. My most vivid memory of that game was the look on Chad’s face as the Jets fell behind. Defeated. Overwhelmed. I don’t want to say deer-in-the-headlights, but it was close. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Holy crap - our more recent playoff win was that awesome game in New England (in 2011).  I really think we're due for a playoff game either this year or next.  I know it's a lot to ask for this year but who knows.

That was 7 yrs ago, insane, it feels like just yesterday.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I’m forced to agree with this. My most vivid memory of that game was the look on Chad’s face as the Jets fell behind. Defeated. Overwhelmed. I don’t want to say deer-in-the-headlights, but it was close. 

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So his true colors was losing to a really good Raider team, in Ca.  Chrebet down.  

Not beating up on Favre and the Packers and then Manning and the Colts 41-0?

Two of the best days ever at GS.  That GB game, after watching the Pats-Fins on the scoreboard, priceless. 

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The following week they smoked the tennesse titans and held an nfl mvp in steve mcnair to under 200 yards passing.  Did McNair melt?

We all remember the game as we want but in my view , we came out flat and Oakland did not play that well. I remember being in the 3rd QTR and still in it but we couldn't get anything going.  That type of game became vintage Chad.  Great games that got the fan base excited followed by FLAT performances. I enjoyed the GB-Colts 2 in a row as much as anyone BUT the Oakland loss was a SMH moment as we came out flat and stayed flat.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We all remember the game as we want but in my view , we came out flat and Oakland did not play that well. I remember being in the 3rd QTR and still in it but we couldn't get anything going.  That type of game became vintage Chad.  Great games that got the fan base excited followed by FLAT performances. I enjoyed the GB-Colts 2 in a row as much as anyone BUT the Oakland loss was a SMH moment as we came out flat and stayed flat.

We started that game with a 3-0 lead, fell behind 10-3 and were tied at the half, 10-10.  Chrebet went out at some point and Pennington had a bad 2nd half.  Don't remember losing because we were flat, just that we lost to a 12 win, SB team at their stadium.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I bumped this for a reminder... this decade has been one of the single worst decades the NY Jets franchise has ever had. 

Can we please start the 2020’s off with a playoff run? Please.

I don’t think we’re far off..in part because I believe JD understands wtf needs to happen as much as we do, didn’t feel that way with Maccagnan. He was off script from the very start. The flaws are obvious. He’ll get them patched.

Here’s to believing in this team next year. I think we can make a run soon and #14 will be the one under center.

PS. It’s okay to trade Jamal — it’s gonna speed this thing up.?

755285F7-E2F1-4205-95CF-2D9680E29323.jpeg

• Upvote 2

On 8/15/2018 at 7:25 PM, jetstream23 said:

Interesting.  I've been to 3 of those games and looking at them in that table I'm realizing that one was in each decade (80's, 90's, 00's) and they were all W's.   You know what that means.......either this year or next we're winning another playoff game! :D 

image.png.6e94c9e44a8538ef51c7c9d39f81e17d.png

No, what this means is we took a decade off.  lol. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well Jets fans are to impatient, Obviously. ? 

Its hilarious when someone accuses Jets fans of being obsessed with instant gratification. 

The only thing more ridiculous would be accusing Jets fans of being bangwagoneers.

The upside of being generally awful is that only the diehards remain. We have one of the most loyal fan bases in sport. When I was a kid, my soccer team never won a game. Parents stopped showing up. OUR PARENTS.

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep, the jets haven't had many home playoff games.  on the other hand it seems like there is a greater percentage of wild card teams that advance and even win the superbowl than there used to be and not just because they went to a 2 team format.

Very true. This will be my 41st year of season tickets, and I've seen 5 home playoff games.  3-2 record. Long overdue for another.?

• Upvote 2

On 8/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I came across this page and had to share.  It's crazy we haven't played a home playoff game since 2002.  We had 2 home playoff games in the 1960's (though we were a a new franchise and came into existence late in that decade), 0 in the 1970's, 3 in the 1980's, 1 in the 1990's, 1 in the 2000's and so far 0 in the 2010's.

Since the merger (post 1969 I believe), we've had exactly 1 home playoff game in the divisional round or later (vs Jax under Parcells). 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/playoffs.htm

image.png

Since 02 you have to win your division to get a home game (or get lucky for a conference championship game which we almost did in 09 if Baltimore beat Indy) and we've been stuck with the greatest dynasty in the sport in our division during this period.

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep, the jets haven't had many home playoff games.  on the other hand it seems like there is a greater percentage of wild card teams that advance and even win the superbowl than there used to be and not just because they went to a 2 team format.

Not really and certainly not recently.  A Wild Card team hasn't made the Super Bowl since the Packers in 2010.  The last 10 years have been dominated by the teams that earned a bye.  The last team to win a Super Bowl outside of the top 2 seeds in either Conference?  Ravens, 2012.  

3/4 teams in the Conference title games this year were teams that got a bye.  

The overall numbers:  Since the league instituted a seeding system in 1975, the No. 1 or No. 2 seeds have reached the Super Bowl 71 times while all other seeds got there 17 times. Only 10 of the 44 champions in that span were seeded Nos. 3-6.