RG Brian Winters out for rest of Preseason

Gas2No99

That's it.  Darnold should NOT open the season as the starter.

A shoddy OL is the only thing that can mess this up.  THERE IS NO RUSH TO PLAY HIM.

At least wait until whatever 5 guys are on the OL have some games to gel.  It doesnt happen on a whim.

8422.jpg

Jets RG Brian Winters (abdomen) isn't expected to play this preseason but anticipates being ready for Week 1.

Winters tore his abdominal and abductor muscles in Week 2 last season but played through it before needing surgery at the end of the year. He's believed to be at or near 100 percent, but the Jets aren't pushing the veteran in meaningless preseason games. Winters signed a multi-year deal in January 2017.
Aug 15 - 1:23 PM

The Jets' offensive line is the source of growing concern. Backup swing tackle Ben Ijalana was placed on injured reserve Wednesday after hurting a shoulder in joint practices with the Redskins. Starting LT Kelvin Beachum (foot) already is out and likely will miss the remainder of the preseason, leaving Brent Qvale as the current starter. He started last week's game, but he doesn't have the athleticism to play the left side. If he doesn't play well Thursday night, the Jets might have to shop for left-tackle insurance or maybe move Dakota Dozier to left tackle. By the way, RG Brian Winters is expected to miss the preseason with an undisclosed injury, the NFL Network reported. Imagine if this line has to protect a rookie QB. Uh, oh. To fill Ijalana's roster spot, the Jets signed veteran C Gino Gradkowski.

14 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:
8422.jpg

Jets RG Brian Winters (abdomen) isn't expected to play this preseason but anticipates being ready for Week 1.

Winters tore his abdominal and abductor muscles in Week 2 last season but played through it before needing surgery at the end of the year. He's believed to be at or near 100 percent, but the Jets aren't pushing the veteran in meaningless preseason games. Winters signed a multi-year deal in January 2017.
Aug 15 - 1:23 PM

So he'll be good to go for the season opener in Detroit then? This is just precautionary and injury wasn't reaggravated? 

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let's be real.  I'd put the odds at 50% he plays in one of the first two games this regular season.

This just doesn't sound good.  It was like hearing Carson Wentz's comments on NFL Network yesterday, "I'm pretty sure I'll be ready for Week 1."

Yeah.....right

I agree. It's not a good sign and indicates he may have this as a lingering issue that will nag him throughout the season. He played THROUGH the pain ALL of last season, that CAN'T be good for his body's long-term prospects, surgery be damned. 

2/5 of the starting OLine are injured, one is a new FA signing, and the LG is an ill-fit for the scheme. DEFINITELY expose Darnold to 3 early games (one on MNF) behind WHATEVER the Oline ends up being spackled into by Opening Night. 

10 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Dont worry fellas according to some fans there will be a gaggle of starting O lineman available after cuts are made.

that's how we landed Pete Kendall & Dave Szott back in the day. 

40 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

By the way, RG Brian Winters is expected to miss the preseason with an undisclosed injury, the NFL Network reported. Imagine if this line has to protect a rookie QB. Uh, oh. To fill Ijalana's roster spot, the Jets signed veteran C Gino Gradkowski.

24 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

So he'll be good to go for the season opener in Detroit then? This is just precautionary and injury wasn't reaggravated? 

Cimini says he IS injured. Jets are "SAYING" it's "precautionary" the SAME way Terrell Pryor's ankle surgery in the Spring was a "cleanup" and not because it was "Broken" (per Pryor's statements tot the press and at the IRKING of Bowles)

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Jets' offensive line is the source of growing concern. Backup swing tackle Ben Ijalana was placed on injured reserve Wednesday after hurting a shoulder in joint practices with the Redskins. Starting LT Kelvin Beachum (foot) already is out and likely will miss the remainder of the preseason, leaving Brent Qvale as the current starter. He started last week's game, but he doesn't have the athleticism to play the left side. If he doesn't play well Thursday night, the Jets might have to shop for left-tackle insurance or maybe move Dakota Dozier to left tackle. By the way, RG Brian Winters is expected to miss the preseason with an undisclosed injury, the NFL Network reported. Imagine if this line has to protect a rookie QB. Uh, oh. To fill Ijalana's roster spot, the Jets signed veteran C Gino Gradkowski.

Unfortunately Your correct.  Qvale played pretty well against the Falcons, but your right he just isn't athletic enough to play LT.  He's also a guy, like Carpenter, who might be negatively affected by the switch to a zone blocking scheme.  He's more of a mauler.

The O L is becoming very concerning.  IMO the original starters were good enough to be an average group.  With the injuries it's getting scary.  

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Brian Winters  has been and is a total waste of time. Almost always hurt, and not that good when hes not. Looks the part, nothing more. Wasted pick. Matt Slauson was twice the player Winters is. 

Exactly! What was he a 5th round pick? Shell a 5th or 6th also? Way to invest in the all important O line. Then we pick a project O lineman in the second round - Ducasse and he's starting for another team. Any AAU team or high School in Florida build their teams starting with the O Lineman. Not the Jets. I think they are just realizing now the importance of having a solid line - now that they have a 30million dollar asset to protect. 

54 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Unfortunately Your correct.  Qvale played pretty well against the Falcons, but your right he just isn't athletic enough to play LT.  He's also a guy, like Carpenter, who might be negatively affected by the switch to a zone blocking scheme.  He's more of a mauler.

The O L is becoming very concerning.  IMO the original starters were good enough to be an average group.  With the injuries it's getting scary.  

Not saying he will be just like him but Jason Fabini wasn’t athletic and was moved from RT to LT and played well for a period of time. Qvale and Fabini are similar body types. 

I know it doesn’t fit the youth movement narrative, but if it came down to it, there are some “last leg” players we could sign for the year:

Khalif Barnes, Will Beatty, Eric Winston, Chris Hairston, Luke Joeckel, Jahri Evans, Alex Boone, Joe Berger, Zane Beadles... there’s others 

Just now, Larz said:

I thought he was a career interior guy 

Maybe the new center is the goods? Dennison would know, he coached him for two years.

I misspoke above, I meant to say Travis Long, the dude is 6’5, 320... maybe he could kick out to tackle in a pinch?

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

^ a C that Dennison is familiar with; maybe Swanson could kick out to OT?

Swanson is a career center 

Maybe the Jets don't like the center group like at all lol

Neither guy has ever played tackle 

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

Maybe the new center is the goods? Dennison would know, he coached him for two years.

I misspoke above, I meant to say Travis Long, the dude is 6’5, 320... maybe he could kick out to tackle in a pinch?

Swanson is also tall, but never played out there 

I think Dennison just hates Harrison and Swanson lol 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Swanson is also tall, but never played out there 

I think Dennison just hates Harrison and Swanson lol 

Yep. I just looked it up, neither new guy has experience (college, or pros) at OT.  We’re doomed. 

Archived