Chris Berman coming back to ESPN

Nixhead

https://nypost.com/2018/08/16/a-changing-espn-is-working-on-bringing-back-chris-berman/

I always liked Berman. Old school. He practically made ESPN a household name back in the 80s if I remember correctly. Also I kind of remember Chris being a Jet fan - though I never heard a lot of bias towards the Jets I guess after so many disappointing seasons. Anyway glad to have him back!

10 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/16/a-changing-espn-is-working-on-bringing-back-chris-berman/

I always liked Berman. Old school. He practically made ESPN a household name back in the 80s if I remember correctly. Also I kind of remember Chris being a Jet fan - though I never heard a lot of bias towards the Jets I guess after so many disappointing seasons. Anyway glad to have him back!

They need him BIG TIME. Always loved him. Good news

15 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

This calls for the video of him flipping his lid on set getting ready for the show to go live.  he curses up a storm and its a huge laugh.    You should go watch it

Yes. Please post that Video

I always liked and enjoyed Chris Berman. 

His show with with Tom Jackson was always my favorite. 

Vastly, VASTLY better IMO than today's "Ex-Player + Ex-Player + Ex-Coach + Ex-Player" smug/ego/fashion show festival as assholes.  Today's pre- and post-game shows and highlight shows are borderline unwatchable to me.

In point of fact, and I am sure this is an unpopular view, sports broadcasting have become far too much of a ex-jock locker room that it should be IMO.  No great professional broadcasters anymore, just a bunch of over-rated egotistical and bombastic (the wrong way) ex- this or that chuck, porterhouse and ribeye types.

I heard Berman was a bit of a dick backstage, don't care, I don't work at ESPN.  They're all dicks frankly, you think any of the big-name ex-players aren't?

What Berman was was pure fun for the viewer.  The nicknames were great, the style was great, his obvious passion and excitement for the games and highlights was great (and is lacking in most of the ex-players, who clearly do this for an easy check and a chance to show off their $25,000 suit style).  Berman was one of US, or at least portrayed himself that way rather well.  

With that said, you can never really get the band back together, and this will assuredly be no exception.  

Purely JMO.

29 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Yes. Please post that Video

I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to.  Its pretty vulgar and def a NSFW kinda video haha.  I'm at work right now and we have social media sites blocked, so I cant get to youtube right now, but I will post it up after I get out of work if there are no issues

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Vastly, VASTLY better IMO than today's "Ex-Player + Ex-Player + Ex-Coach + Ex-Player" smug/ego/fashion show festival as assholes.  Today's pre- and post-game shows and highlight shows are borderline unwatchable to me.

This made me LOL and I completely agree. The biggest problem with these studio shows is that instead of hiring thoughtful players with real insight and opinions they hire bombastic buffoons for their "personalities." Just cringe worthy.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Berman is awful, but apparently it was determined that he was less awful than the morons that replaced him. 

I once heard someone say that Chris Berman looks like he sweats gravy.  I have never forgotten that and t was a long time ago

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

In point of fact, and I am sure this is an unpopular view, sports broadcasting have become far too much of a ex-jock locker room that it should be IMO.  No great professional broadcasters anymore, just a bunch of over-rated egotistical and bombastic (the wrong way) ex- this or that chuck, porterhouse and ribeye types.

I heard Berman was a bit of a dick backstage, don't care, I don't work at ESPN.  They're all dicks frankly, you think any of the big-name ex-players aren't?

What Berman was was pure fun for the viewer.  The nicknames were great, the style was great, his obvious passion and excitement for the games and highlights was great (and is lacking in most of the ex-players, who clearly do this for an easy check and a chance to show off their $25,000 suit style).  Berman was one of US, or at least portrayed himself that way rather well.  

With that said, you can never really get the band back together, and this will assuredly be no exception.  

Purely JMO.

My friend has worked on the CBS pregame show for a very long time. Only one he said was a jerk of sorts was Shannon Sharpe. Had nice things to say about Boomer, Marino and Cowher too. Said James Brown is nicest guy ever. I know he was never a player, just saying. 

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Chris Berman is a BIG NY Jets fan and supporter WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Remember, Jets Fans love nothing more than to hate their own.

Just ask a certain former crowd-cheer-leader.

(Paging SAR for his usual hate-fest of the cheer leader and the cheer).

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Remember, Jets Fans love nothing more than to hate their own.

Just ask a certain former crowd-cheer-leader.

(Paging SAR for his usual hate-fest of the cheer leader and the cheer).

I used to LOVE Boomer and his passion and enthusiasm for the sport. Somewhere along the way, he seemed to want to be more "schtick", rather than actual substance.

I loved kool-aid when I was youong, but outgrew it somewhere along the way. Berman is something like that to me. His homerun derby calls of 'back-back-back-back-back" on warning track fly balls were comical.

bringing back berman isn't to make anyone watch espn.  the only way this stupid newtwork saves itself is to get back to broadcasting sports instead of being a political soapbox.  they would do themselves a great favor by cutting off any sports celebrity when they start being political.  i for one do not want to hear about these wealthy athletes crying about how they don't get enough money to feed their families.

does anyone still watch ESPN?

Right? Soon to be like MTV. It’s funny, the other day I was legitimately searching my channels wondering if MTV even exists, get the feeling it will happen to ESPN in the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He's a familiar face and a familiar voice.  And yes, he's a Jets fan.  I think he recently went through a tragedy when his wife was killed in a car accident.  I have no problem with him coming back.

I'm pretty sure he's a bills fan

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Purely JMO.

Yup. But you left out the eye candy blonde who just sits there and says nothing.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Purely JMO.

The only ex player highlight sports show I watch is NBA on TNT.  Shaq, Barkley, Kenny and pro broadcaster Ernie Johnson.  Those guys are hilarious.  Everybody else are hacks.  

Archived