Wow! Defense looks atrocious

Dcronin

Good test and reality check, Sam is human, good learning and experience - playing the first team is more difficult

I think Alex Smith is a good fit for Washington/Gruden, I thought they were crazy to make that trade and new contract but he looked good, that will be a tough division

Performance of the defense does not match the investment - more of the same with Kacy

29 minutes ago, jgb said:

All going perfect. Darnold showing growth and learning. Defense implodes. Hello new HC to pair with FQB next season.

John Harbough? Could be his last year in BAL if they don't play better. I don't know enough about him, I know he was a ST guy.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We still can't cover anything in the middle.  Every Redskin has a 5-yard cushion.

Whitten has said several times Jets are just playing a soft zone, which isn’t their normal D. 

Run D looks good. 

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Whitten has said several times Jets are just playing a soft zone, which isn’t their normal D. 

Run D looks good. 

So what are we accomplishing by that?  Seriously...how does that help the team prepare for week 1?

Run D did look good in the first half.  

Just now, nycdan said:

So what are we accomplishing by that?  Seriously...how does that help the team prepare for week 1?

Run D did look good in the first half.  

Could be a few things. 

Obviously not show much on tape. These games are just gloried practices anyway.  

Perhaps also allowing them to work on their pass rush. 

But we all know we aren’t a zone D. 

Shut out last week doesn't count. 

15 points off 5 field goals is atrocious. 

2 games the defense averaged 7.5 points against.

We should pray this is the defensive results in regular season. It won't be but now is as good a time as any to declare the D sucks.

Pre season where you're main goal is to give starters some run, see if the younger players imoroved, and evaluate players to determine your 53.

Makes sense to me.

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

Could be a few things. 

Obviously not show much on tape. These games are just gloried practices anyway.  

Perhaps also allowing them to work on their pass rush. 

But we all know we aren’t a zone D. 

Here's what I saw in the limited time I was able to watch.  We actually got pressure on the QB a number of times.  But it seems like almost every time we did, he was able to find a man wide open on a screen or across the middle.  The WAS QBs did a good job but it seems like our defense was not able to come close to even challenging those passes, which is concerning because we are supposed to be a fast defense.  Maybe I missed some plays where they did, but it felt just like every other year recently where we give up third down conversions on quick passes.  If this was what the plan was and the coaches and players got something positive out of it, good for them but I didn't see it.

On offense, I saw a few flashes from Powell that made me happy, especially given the OLine he was running behind.  On to the Giants.

while not impressed with the defense it is the preseason how many times did they really play the schemes they will play in the regular season. this is press defense that was playing soft zone. and they did tighten up in the red zone...We do need a pass rusher and had too many missed tackles allowing for longer runs

Good test and reality check, Sam is human, good learning and experience - playing the first team is more difficult
I think Alex Smith is a good fit for Washington/Gruden, I thought they were crazy to make that trade and new contract but he looked good, that will be a tough division
Performance of the defense does not match the investment - more of the same with Kacy

This is basically how I feel as well. One other thought I’m having is I’m not as high on Leo as the media seems to be either. He’s solid but I see Sheppard having similar impact as the “consensus best player in the draft”. With guys like Leo, Adams and Lee being our high draft pic d leaders I think we may be holding on to fools gold. It’s still early in their careers and they are really young so I’m not pulling the fire alarm of course.
I’m just not seeing the progress I’d like to

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, jgb said:

All going perfect. Darnold showing growth and learning. Defense implodes. Hello new HC to pair with FQB next season.

Yep. Pick was ugly and he forced it but at least he didn’t fumble. His ball Security is coming along.Sam got no help from the line yesterday and did a good job for a rookie. All we really should really need to care about is Sams progression and the eventual replacement of the leadership of this team . 

We need to replace the GM and Coach before have to give Sam a second contract . Period. 

27 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This is basically how I feel as well. One other thought I’m having is I’m not as high on Leo as the media seems to be either. He’s solid but I see Sheppard having similar impact as the “consensus best player in the draft”. With guys like Leo, Adams and Lee being our high draft pic d leaders I think we may be holding on to fools gold. It’s still early in their careers and they are really young so I’m not pulling the fire alarm of course.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Our defensive minded HC can’t develop a Polaroid. I’d like to see what a real HC could do with these guys

41 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agree, I think Leo, Lee and Adams were the "safe" picks for a team devoid of NFL talent, more foundational players than superstars and that's fine with me as long as the Jets find a spark to light this candle, hopefully next year as Sam develops.

IMHO every pick for the next two years should be on offense, I am done investing in this D, pass rush or not they can find their own way until the Jets bring in a real DC to run the defense (I would welcome Rex as the DC at this point)

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree, I think Leo, Lee and Adams were the "safe" picks for a team devoid of NFL talent, more foundational players than superstars and that's fine with me as long as the Jets find a spark to light this candle, hopefully next year as Sam develops.

IMHO every pick for the next two years should be on offense, I am done investing in this D, pass rush or not they can find their own way until the Jets bring in a real DC to run the defense (I would welcome Rex as the DC at this point)

Agree. The whole point of having a defensive-minded "guru" HC is that they SHOULD be able to do more with less, so you can over-invest on the offense while your defensive genius HC still is able to field a competent defense. What's the point of a defensive-HC when you have to over-invest in the defense? Especially, when as here, our defense is still trash.

11 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Ha. Love it. Again it's pre-season but if we allow 15 points a game it's going to be a great season.

quick name Washington's #1 WR without looking it up 

TBH I don't I could do it. 

The Falcons 1st team played 3 snaps and the Redskins stink out loud. 

Archived