Sam Darnold Should NOT Start

Ghost

We all know Sam is the future of this team. At this point, I even think he’s the best QB on the team. However, I hold my breath every single time this guy drops back. 

Our offensive line is absolutely atrocious. I think we need to start Bridgewater, let Sam learn as much as possible, and then invest heavily into offensive linemen in the off-season. On the other hand, Bridgewater is looking impressive. It’s not like we’re starting Brett Ratliff in the mean time. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My issue is I don’t want them turning him into Pennington 2.0. I saw a lot of underneath stuff. I want a qb who wins, obviously, but I’m tired of these defensive minded coaches always playing safe and to not lose. I want them to let him be a gunslinger who wins games, not a game manager 

tired of having opposing qbs with 200 yards passing at the half and jets qbs struggling to have that entire games

21 minutes ago, usanyj said:

My issue is I don’t want them turning him into Pennington 2.0. I saw a lot of underneath stuff. I want a qb who wins, obviously, but I’m tired of these defensive minded coaches always playing safe and to not lose. I want them to let him be a gunslinger who wins games, not a game manager 

tired of having opposing qbs with 200 yards passing at the half and jets qbs struggling to have that entire games

I could be wrong but I think he was taking what he was given tonight and the DBs from the Skins did a good job covering the big plays. Unfortunately. I really wanted to see the DBs suffer tonight.

Darnold sitting this year and Bridgewater starting would be close to worst case scenario. We’d lose a year of Darnold on his cheap rookie contract, and Bridgewater would walk after the season. I might be able to buy into having Darnold come in week 4 but not him sitting out the whole season. 

53 minutes ago, Ghost said:

We all know Sam is the future of this team. At this point, I even think he’s the best QB on the team. However, I hold my breath every single time this guy drops back. 

Our offensive line is absolutely atrocious. I think we need to start Bridgewater, let Sam learn as much as possible, and then invest heavily into offensive linemen in the off-season. On the other hand, Bridgewater is looking impressive. It’s not like we’re starting Brett Ratliff in the mean time. 

This doesnt sound like "lets sit Sam so he can learn", but more like "Put Bridgewater behind that oline instead". 

22 minutes ago, Drums said:

You know what, so far I've trusted Darnold to protect himself and I think he's done a good job. With that said, he wasn't safe back there tonight.

As I said, I think Bridgewater gives us the best chance to win this season, and Darnold the best chance to learn (and not get killed). Macc has to address the OL next offseason with a dire sense of urgency. 

If he's ready to play just roll out an extra TE for additional protection and run it a little more until he's settled in. The game doesn't seem to big for him - I won't be surprised if he starts. Even if he doesn't start right away the QB situation is light years ahead of where it's been. Hopefully we're headed the right direction here.

9 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I hate that Tomlinson is basically a lock. He looks so slow. And his Hands were bad today. 

8 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Meanwhile Walford Leggett and Herndon have real talent as receivers and can at least try to block 

Sterling isn't much of a blocker, and I haven't seen anything from Leggett or Herndon yet, but I'm hoping Walford can unseat Tomlinson for that blocking TE position. He's not too bad at blocking, plus he offers more in the passing game than Eric.

I would go with Sterling, Walford, Herndon as the 3 TEs.

I think we should start Sam he has not done anything to really hurt himself. I do think we should move Teddy for a starter quality tackle to sure up the online. That really just scares me...with all the money under the cap next yr we should be targeting a pass rusher and 3 olinemen

The Jets have 3 games in 11 days to start the season and then follow that up with a road trip to Jacksonville and one of the league's best defenses. 

Start Teddy for at least those four games. give Darnold mop up duty in those games so he can get experiences in meaningful games. 

It would be nice to see Darnold as the starter by week 5 and then trade Teddy before the deadline so we get some value. 

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

The Jets have 3 games in 11 days to start the season and then follow that up with a road trip to Jacksonville and one of the league's best defenses. 

Start Teddy for at least those four games. give Darnold mop up duty in those games so he can get experiences in meaningful games. 

It would be nice to see Darnold as the starter by week 5 and then trade Teddy before the deadline so we get some value. 

Been saying this for weeks.

With the new CBA, OL needs time to gel, skill guys need time to get conditioned and work in their timing, and the defense is always ahead of the offense the first few weeks. Also, we’re not competing for a SB this year, so this whole “wasting a year of cheap Darnold” is bogus. Compound all of that with the awful 1st quarter schedule, and I’m all in on sitting Sam till week 5. But, he needs to start week 5 no matter what.

The offensive game plan just seemed off. I don't recall seeing much play action or moving the pocket, give Sam a chance to throw on the move. There was the one rollout early where Kerrigan seemed to know it was coming, and after that, they just didn't seem to play to Sam's strengths. A lot of empty backfield, short routes, get the ball out quickly. Again - was it by design that every throw was short, to protect him behind a banged up OL. He never took a shot deep and once Wash took away the short stuff, he had trouble moving the ball.  I am looking for the silver lining to a very meh performance -- but maybe the game plan was designed to force him out of his comfort zone to see how he woudl respond.

Not going to kill him for the pick, since it was 4th down. Incompletion is same as a turnover there -- might have been e a bad read trying to force it to Kearse in doube coverage -- I would need to watch the replay to see if he had a better option.

Setting aside the fact that we were down two starters, what exactly did Sam do that would lead someone to think he doesnt belong?

The NFL is hard, there will be weeks he gets his a$$ kicked, player will get hurt, it happens - but he protected the football (the int was no different then a turnover on downs given it was 4th down), threw it away when he could, and took sacks rather then force something.  That is how you play QB when things arent going your way.  

There will be games when he needs to play ugly and keep fighting, which is what happened tonight, he just didnt get the second half to come back TB did.

They should have the exact same QB rotation next week and hopefully both QBs continue to do well.

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

The offensive game plan just seemed off. I don't recall seeing much play action or moving the pocket, give Sam a chance to throw on the move. There was the one rollout early where Kerrigan seemed to know it was coming, and after that, they just didn't seem to play to Sam's strengths. A lot of empty backfield, short routes, get the ball out quickly. Again - was it by design that every throw was short, to protect him behind a banged up OL. He never took a shot deep and once Wash took away the short stuff, he had trouble moving the ball.  I am looking for the silver lining to a very meh performance -- but maybe the game plan was designed to force him out of his comfort zone to see how he woudl respond.

Not going to kill him for the pick, since it was 4th down. Incompletion is same as a turnover there -- might have been e a bad read trying to force it to Kearse in doube coverage -- I would need to watch the replay to see if he had a better option.

I was actually pretty pleased with Sam overall. That pick play was destined to be a negative outcome. I just checked, every other option was blanketed and he was forced to throw because a rusher was barreling down. The back picked up one rusher, but another guy got loose. Yet again, 90% of what was bad about the offense was the oline last night. 

Check out the sack plays, he had two hands on the ball under duress and did not allow a strip. It is something little, but it shows that he drilled reps with a focus on that to get better. 

He is thinking out there, goes through progressions, makes quick decisions and reads and has good instincts. He was mostly accurate and converted some key 3rd downs. Really a shame that our oline has been neglected for so long because it is going to blow up a majority of our plays. They got pressure with 4 a lot last night and we lost several one on one matchups, especially in the interior. 

Well welcome to reality do not expect any QB to come in and be all pro right out of the gate every game. I think I agree more rollouts and running on the move seem Sam strengths especially with the line situation it seemed like this would make more sense in game plan

10 hours ago, usanyj said:

I think thats a result of game planning, which falls on the coaches. Maybe because it’s preseason but deepshots are warranted. PS is the best time to do it. 

Archived