Some of you have never watched a preseason game before

shuler82

The over reactions here are ridiculous. Vanilla schemes from both teams on both sides of the ball. Starting two backup linemen tonight. Yeah we need a pass rusher but what else is new?

Darnold took some lumps but he has that something we haven’t seen around here since pre-injury Pennington. Teddy is proving he’s healthy and his trade value continues to rise. And Yeah...The defense is going to have to manufacture sacks but let’s not get all up in arms over a soft zone..

. I think what we saw tonight is what we all already knew - a team with some pieces who’s a year away from being a true competitor. So let’s play the kid and have some fun while we look at the $90M we have to spend for 2019

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

The over reactions here are ridiculous. Vanilla schemes from both teams on both sides of the ball. Starting two backup linemen tonight. Yeah we need a pass rusher but what else is new?

Darnold took some lumps but he has that something we haven’t seen around here since pre-injury Pennington. Teddy is proving he’s healthy and his trade value continues to rise. And Yeah...The defense is going to have to manufacture sacks but let’s not get all up in arms over a soft zone..

. I think what we saw tonight is what we all already knew - a team with some pieces who’s a year away from being a true competitor. So let’s play the kid and have some fun while we look at the $90M we have to spend for 2019

Posted in another thread. Whitten said multiple times Jets were playing a soft zone. We all know (well not all here) that Jets D is predominately press man. So that ties into your vanilla schemes  

Good luck with the responses you’re going to get from the whiners. 

Gawd this place is unbearable. Time to go dark until Spring. Enjoy the season. 

The thing is it happens every year 

The first 3 games of the regular season are also difficult to make any judgment from because of the limited practices 

It wasn't a good performance but the Jets held out like 10 players and the skins are a bad match up for the Jets they have very good lines 

I haven’t watched the preseason games because of work. All I remember is in 2010 we looked like the worst team in the league against Carolina in the preseason and JetNation was having a full-blown meltdown.

We were one of the better teams in the league that year, so I learned my lesson then. 

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's preseason, yes, but the problem is the team didn't look too different from a typical Todd Bowles regular season team. Specifically the D.

So Bowles D would be a problem with a week one shutout and 5 fgs the next week?  

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

All I cared about is the fact Sam Darnold looked comfortable against an opposing team’s starters. 

Even with a bad O-line, he handled himself well, that’s my victory..not the scoreboard 

+1000

Sam did not look like a deer-in-headlights against a defense that handled him pretty well. He took what he could get, but they (and our Oline) didn't give him a lot. I was expecting his throws to be rushed and off a bit in the face of all that pressure, but his passes were ON POINT for the most part, pressure or not.

Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan, be damned; I'm excited about Sam.

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Posted in another thread. Whitten said multiple times Jets were playing a soft zone. We all know (well not all here) that Jets D is predominately press man. So that ties into your vanilla schemes  

Over under on how many days he’s back?  I say 4

6 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

+1000

Sam did not look like a deer-in-headlights against a defense that handled him pretty well. He took what he could get, but they (and our Oline) didn't give him a lot. I was expecting his throws to be rushed and off a bit in the face of all that pressure, but his passes were ON POINT for the most part, pressure or not.

Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan, be damned; I'm excited about Sam.

Teddy passes looked on target also. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

So Bowles D would be a problem with a shutout one week and 5 fgs the next week?  

It's not the points that count, it's how easily we were getting carved up by the other QBs, specifically the LBs. Imagine if the Skins' first team O was in for the entire game. Our defense would've tired eventually and started giving up the big plays, just like they've done for the past 2 ******* years.

And with all the first round talent that we have. Leo can't do it all by himself on the line, Darron looks like the Geno Smith of linebackers on every pass play and looks like Mark Sanchez every time he needs to make contact, and Jamal's biggest impact plays are plays that Rontez Miles (or any average linebacker *cough* Demario Davis *cough*) should be able to make. Jenkins is a solid set-the-edge type OLB, but that's it.

You can't just look at the score sheet and say, "Wow, they were GREAT".

And the whole vanilla scheme and preseason argument cuts both ways. Do you really think that Matt Ryan and the Atlanta offense was giving it their all for the 1-2 series that they played?

Oh, and timeouts and pre-snap penalties and stuff.

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

All I cared about is the fact Sam Darnold looked comfortable against an opposing team’s starters. 

Even with a bad O-line, he handled himself well, that’s my victory..not the scoreboard 

I agree 100%.  I just don't like the thought of Darnold playing 3 games in 10 days... followed by the Jags defense in 100 degree heat behind that "bad O-line" to begin his career.

Another factor is that this was a preseason game.  In a real game... if the Jets fall behind, the pass rush he'll face gets even worse when they don't concern themselves with the run.

If thinking the above makes me an "overreactor"... than so be it.

Heard a ton of guys liken Sam to Chad Pennington and that he can’t throw deep nor will he get enough respect from defenses. This is a classic case of overreacting as a ton are doing.

We also didn’t run any concepts from the real playbook. Darnold actually has a lot stronger of an arm than Chad and he can sling the ball but these first two games have mostly been dink and dunk in order to get the guy comfortable in an NFL game.

I know people wanna see him let it rip but it’s just not what the coaches want to do now. He’ll let it rip eventually and most likely in the most opportune time. It’s a west coast offense so there will be a lot of crossing patterns, underneaths, posts, etc.

Robby Anderson is one of the best deep threats in the league, Darnold will have a shot at going long...just not now.

31 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I haven’t watched the preseason games because of work. All I remember is in 2010 we looked like the worst team in the league against Carolina in the preseason and JetNation was having a full-blown meltdown.

We were one of the better teams in the league that year, so I learned my lesson then. 

Exactly. preseason don't mean diddly squat.

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's not the points that count, it's how easily we were getting carved up by the other QBs, specifically the LBs. Imagine if the Skins' first team O was in for the entire game. Our defense would've tired eventually and started giving up the big plays, just like they've done for the past 2 ******* years.

And with all the first round talent that we have. Leo can't do it all by himself on the line, Darron looks like the Geno Smith of linebackers on every pass play and looks like Mark Sanchez every time he needs to make contact, and Jamal's biggest impact plays are plays that Rontez Miles (or any average linebacker *cough* Demario Davis *cough*) should be able to make. Jenkins is a solid set-the-edge type OLB, but that's it.

You can't just look at the score sheet and say, "Wow, they were GREAT".

And the whole vanilla scheme and preseason argument cuts both ways. Do you really think that Matt Ryan and the Atlanta offense was giving it their all for the 1-2 series that they played?

Oh, and timeouts and pre-snap penalties and stuff.

Exactly the reason you look at plays more than a series.  Point still is 15 points every 2 weeks, I won't complain.  The whole Adams thing is funny.  That people criticize him and praise a jag in the same sentence is puzzling.   It's a wierd jet fan thing.  Fall in love with scrubs and complain about much better players.

We didn't have a lot of presnap penalties or timeouts tonight have no clue why anyone is complaining about both

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly the reason you look at plays more than a series.

Exactly my point.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Point still is 15 points every 2 weeks, I won't complain.

Preseason is the game where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The whole Adams thing is funny.  That people criticize him and praise a jag in the same sentence is puzzling.   It's a wierd jet fan thing.  Fall in love with scrubs and complain about much better players.

Jordan Jenkins is the PERFECT player to compare Jamal to. A player that does the most basic duties of his position, but nothing game changing. And he was found in the 3rd round. Oh, and he's not a liability in the pass game and doesn't whiff on as many tackles.

Note that I'm not calling Jenkins here an All-pro.

FTR, though, I don't hate Jamal, nor am I saying he's a bust. But, do I think his on-field production has lived up to his draft slot?

No.

And do I think people here talk him up way too much (as well as himself) as a "leader" and "stud safety" and "game changer" and "future of our defense?"

Abso-fuccin-lutely.

And his TFL's are fun, but they truly mean absolutely nothing to me when our biggest weakness (passes over the middle that routinely burn our LB's and safeties) is still just that, a gaping hole that high-end, hall of fame QBs like Alex Smith can feast upon. A weakness that we've had for years, and one, mind you, that the drafting of players such as Jamal, Maye, and Darron were supposed to fix. They haven't. And I, for one, put most of the blame on Macc and Bowles for that, rather than the players themselves.

6 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Exactly my point.

Preseason is the game where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

Jordan Jenkins is the PERFECT player to compare Jamal to. A player that does the most basic duties of his position, but nothing game changing. And he was found in the 3rd round. Oh, and he's not a liability in the pass game and doesn't whiff on as many tackles.

Note that I'm not calling Jenkins here an All-pro.

FTR, though, I don't hate Jamal, nor am I saying he's a bust. But, do I think his on-field production has lived up to his draft slot?

No.

And do I think people here talk him up way too much (as well as himself) as a "leader" and "stud safety" and "game changer" and "future of our defense?"

Abso-fuccin-lutely.

And his TFL's are fun, but they truly mean absolutely nothing to me when our biggest weakness (passes over the middle that routinely burn our LB's and safeties) is still just that, a gaping hole that high-end, hall of fame QBs like Alex Smith can feast upon. A weakness that we've had for years, and one, mind you, that the drafting of players such as Jamal, Maye, and Darron were supposed to fix. They haven't. And I, for one, put most of the blame on Macc and Bowles for that, rather than the players themselves.

You compared Adams to Miles.  Miles is a scrub that Jets fans love to love.  The list is long.  Adams is much better after one season.  The comparison makes no sense.  Neither does Jenkins. And while Jenkins isn't a all pro, we don't know what Adams is after one whole season.  I know, crazy talk, we should dump him.  Because who cares what he has hinted at, we don't like him.  We didn't want him and whatever he becomes we'll complain.  Lol, wait for the season, come on. 

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Image result for this gif

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You compared Adams to Miles.  Miles is a scrub that Jets fans love to love.

Okay, I did, but only in the context that the kind of plays that Jamal was making tonight we could get from someone like Miles. And, again, I haven't annointed Rontez as an All-pro. And the reason he gets more love than Adams is because he was undrafted and expectations are low. As a #6 overall pick, the bar is set significantly higher for Jamal. He'd better be making more than Miles-like plays, or he's going to be viewed as a wasted pick that high up.

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

we don't know what Adams is after one whole season.  I know, crazy talk, we should dump him.  Because who cares what he has hinted at, we don't like him.  We didn't want him and whatever he becomes we'll complain.  Lol, wait for the season, come on. 

I never said that we should dump Jamal. Dont know why you're making this argument with me. It's funny, my original post was about the D's performance as a whole, and yet you're making this about defending Jamal and countering arguments that I'm not making. Weird.

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

Dude we need more of you around here not less....but enjoy the season either way and appreciate your cintrubutions...always look out for your perspective

I took vacation last night to watch that sh** show.  Bowles has no idea what he is doing.  How Kacy Rodgers is still a DC is also amazing.  The OL is a joke, and Rawls should be let go today.  Other than that Darnold looked ready for the NFL, Jamal stood around a lot last night ala Revis 2016.

I agree. Jets fans are the worst. I swear no other NFL fan base thinks like this. It’s ignorant and sad.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Good to see someone who can actually analyze the game!!!

7 hours ago, shuler82 said:

This is why fans are laughed at. Reading reactions to last nights game is hysterical. Hey, I think the Giants game is a MUST WIN next week!!!!

The only thing that concerns me is the OL. Yes it's the pre-season but you still have to be alarmed about the lack of depth. We all know how this came about and injuries happen but the fact remains that the OL has been neglected in the draft for a long time. That is inexcusable IMO. Especially when you have drafted a QB in the top 3. Whining about it now won't change it but you have to be concerned about it. I mean WTF? 

Archived