Quick Observations (WSH)

KRL

I'll re-watch the game tonight after work but just off the top of my head:

- Sluggish effort in all phases as it seemed a week of travel, practices and fights
carried over to the game

- A very soft defensive effort which allowed too many yards.  The good thing was they were
able to tighten up in the red zone and only give up FG's

- There was no pressure from the standard pass rush and Bowles didn't seem to dial up
many/any blitzes.  The run defense was ok but there were mistakes that allowed a couple
of big runs (Darron Lee got washed out on one big gainer)

- The tackling was nowhere near as clean as the ATL game and there were way too many
personal fouls.  Frankie Luvu has to clean up his technique, he brings the kind of
effort you want in applying pressure but you can't give up multiple personal fouls

- Avery Williamson, Doug Middleton, Jordan Jenkins and for the first time as a Jet
Rashard Robinson flashed

- Offensively Bates worked around a banged up OLine and tried not to expose them and
the QB's by keeping the passing game short & quick.  They allowed pressure though as WSH
got Jonotthan Harrison to whiff on one sack and forced Sam Darnold into another sack due
to coverage.  There was no consistent movement in the run game, the starters need to get
healthy and back into the lineup

- Sam Darnold impressed me more in this game than the ATL one.  He struggled in his first drive
with a three and out then recovered in his next two to move the ball into scoring territory.
In addition playing behind a makeshift OLine with pressure coming, he never seemed rattled.
He made good decisions with the ball and even the INT wasn't a bad play.  On 4th down I
want my QB taking a shot at extending the drive rather than throwing the ball out of bounds
as one analyst suggested.  They do realize that if you don't get the first down the ball is
being "turned over" anyway?  Darnold also improved getting the team in and out of the huddle as
he was able to get to the line with 12-15 seconds left on the clock 

- Teddy Bridgewater played well and hopefully continues to increase his value.  Considering
the pressure he was under he showed good mobility in the pocket and his usual accuracy.
Bridgewater's INT was bad because WSH CB had the vertical route covered he should have thrown
a back shoulder   

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'll re-watch the game tonight after work but just off the top of my head:

- Sluggish effort in all phases as it seemed a week of travel, practices and fights
carried over to the game

- A very soft defensive effort which allowed too many yards.  The good thing was they were
able to tighten up in the red zone and only give up FG's

- There was no pressure from the standard pass rush and Bowles didn't seem to dial up
many/any blitzes.  The run defense was ok but there were mistakes that allowed a couple
of big runs (Darron Lee got washed out on one big gainer)

- The tackling was nowhere near as clean as the ATL game and there were way too many
personal fouls.  Frankie Luvu has to clean up his technique, he brings the kind of
effort you want in applying pressure but you can't give up multiple personal fouls

- Avery Williamson, Doug Middleton, Jordan Jenkins and for the first time as a Jet
Rashard Robinson flashed

- Offensively Bates worked around a banged up OLine and tried not to expose them and
the QB's by keeping the passing game short & quick.  They allowed pressure though as WSH
got Jonotthan Harrison to whiff on one sack and forced Sam Darnold into another sack due
to coverage.  There was no consistent movement in the run game, the starters need to get
healthy and back into the lineup

- Sam Darnold impressed me more in this game than the ATL one.  He struggled in his first drive
with a three and out then recovered in his next two to move the ball into scoring territory.
In addition playing behind a makeshift OLine with pressure coming, he never seemed rattled.
He made good decisions with the ball and even the INT wasn't a bad play.  
On 4th down I
want my QB taking a shot at extending the drive rather than throwing the ball out of bounds
as one analyst suggested.  They do realize that if you don't get the first down the ball is
being "turned over" anyway?  Darnold also improved getting the team in and out of the huddle as
he was able to get to the line with 12-15 seconds left on the clock 

- Teddy Bridgewater played well and hopefully continues to increase his value.  Considering
the pressure he was under he showed good mobility in the pocket and his usual accuracy.
Bridgewater's INT was bad because WSH CB had the vertical route covered he should have thrown
a back shoulder   

Agree on all of your observations.

Harrison ducked his head on the sack and the d-lineman went right past him.

The broadcasters mentioned Sam getting the play called and getting the team out of the huddle so he could survey the defense and make any adjustments to the protection and/or play.

So impressive for a 21 year old kid no matter where he was drafted.

I'll also add that his throws are really accurate and seem to go exactly where they need to be

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

When does Williams step up and become a dominant player?  Or at least in on, and impacting, some plays?  Guy looks like "Eh, Mr. Okay".

This is who Williams and Adams were in college. Decent players who will probably get paid elsewhere.

My own views: 

-O-Line is horrible, one of the weakest and least talented units in the NFL.  Period stop, this unit sucks.  Again.

-RB is very weak, especially now with injuries/non-players.  I don't see production from this unit, especially with Bowles "focus" on being a running team first and foremost.

-Jets have almost no pass rush to speak of.  Thoroughly unimpressive Defensive front.

-Coach Charlie Weiss on Sirius NFL said it best this morning "Robby Anderson is not a #1".  For us, he is, for anyone else, lol, no.

-Darnold was ok, at best, no matter how much flowery language some folks want to lay on his performance.  Looked like what he is, a very green, quite unready-to-start-yet, rookie QB with a literal ton of potential but needing time to learn the pro game.  He was Chad Pennington reborn last night, dink, dunk, dink, dunk, oops INT.  And yes, that INT was all him (stop making excuses ffs, being honest doesn't make you dislike the kid).  People flogging his play are living in a fantasy world of affectation, not fact.  They desperately WANT him to start, so they'll see what they want to see, not what is real.  

-Teddy Bridgewater thus far is materially the best QB on our roster.  Which won't matter because the team and 90% of the fans desperately want him traded asap and the Jets to roll with two QB's, Darnold and McCown (who apparently needs no work of any kind nowadays).

-The Jets absolute horrible drafting history of the last decade has really come home to roost, we are deeply weak almost across the board at positions where we've invested a ton of draft capital.  D-Line.  Linebacker.  Safety, none are above average even right now.  The O-line is in shambles.  RB is a collection of depth players at best.  WR too a collection of injured players, overreaching players, and disappointing draft picks (where WAS Hanson and Stewart last night?).

-I like Bert-Toilet.  His name amuses me.  My absolute favorite new kicker (and he looks good too, a bonus).

Put simply, we are a materially below average team in terms of talent and skill position players.  

We have a potentially great future QB who is not ready...yet. 

And it might be literally criminal to put him with no-talent Offensive unit just to get him beat up every week while "learning" Tim-Couch-Cleveland-style.

And I'll say what I've said alot over the past few years:  we focus far too much on drafting Defense, and it's paid literally zero dividends.  Macc (and the regimes before him) are simply bad at drafting, and it's obvious.  This team needs a huge infusion of actual, legitimate, skill position and O-line talent asap.  Not another reach defensive lineman from Appalachian Barber College Macc falls in love with.

This is going to be a long year.

Thx KRL ... I know one of the talking heads was saying Sam should have thrown that 4th down & 1 pass out of bounds ... I was like ... What the F are you talking about you F'ing idiot!

i was pleasantly surprised to see Jenkins & Robinson doing a couple good things

Throwing in my observations after watching this video:

-o line was up and down as you'd expect with 2 back ups starting but I did think Shell and Carpenter did pretty well, Shell especially. Long was inconsistent and got bull rushed pretty hard one play.  But most of the pressure came from the two back ups, so lets hope Beachum and Winters get back in there soon and last the whole season. 

-the game plan was definitely short and quick stuff. A few plays were rub/pick plays trying to clear for underneath stuff. WR's needed to do a better job on clearing the defenders. 

-I think Darnold did everything right. And nothing to really make the coaching staff think twice about starting him. He protected the ball well in the pocket, keeping two hands on the ball, didn't force anything. I think the play where he threw it away under pressure was just as good as anything, a lot of rookies would normally try to make a play and force something.  Was accurate on the run on the throw to Powell up the sideline and the pass to McBride. I don't think many of the plays, if at all, had down the field stuff. He took what the defense gave him. There's so much to be encouraged about.

Edit: Also most of our speed on offense wasn't out there. Enunwa, Crowell, Cannon, Sterling, Herndon, Pryor. 

11 minutes ago, ljr said:

Thx KRL ... I know one of the talking heads was saying Sam should have thrown that 4th down & 1 pass out of bounds ... I was like ... What the F are you talking about you F'ing idiot!

i was pleasantly surprised to see Jenkins & Robinson doing a couple good things

This times 100. The announcers were horrific last night.

Other observations from the old man:

Robinson got burned on a long pass play BTW, otherwise played well I agree.

Who is this Fata guy getting personal foul penalties every other play?

The constant media gushing about Sam Darnold is making me ill. I mean what is the rush to start him behind an amateur OL at best? 9 passes 63 yards with one hideous red zone int that was 150% his fault. Big whoop. One FG no Td drives led in 2 quarters. Not saying he is no good, just saying all of this praise is to me, extremely premature at this point. He is 21 years young and a rookie in every sense, I just cannot fathom the rush to get him into the starting role with such crap in front of him, no running game; basically zero supporting talent on offense.

Speaking of rushing, what is the rush to trade the second best QB in the AFC east? Teddy B is looking awesome in every way - as a leader, as a team mate, and as a starting QB. We will never get fair value for him enough to impact what looks to be a 4-12 team at best. I sign him long term and keep him here and let him use his legs to keep us competitive, maybe win a few games here and there while Sam learns, and stays alive and in one piece. We know what we've got with Teddy, still do not know about Sam for sure, although the prognosis seems to be good. Keep the man here.

Bowles defense looked to be in mid season form, never getting a stop, never a turnover and never making a play unless the opposing WR gift wraps an int to them which is what happened last night. They are still cream cheese soft up front, can't cover anyone; receivers were running open all night, generated zero pass rush. If I hear anyone tell me how great Leo Williams is I am going to hurl, he is without a doubt the most over rated player in the NFL. He does, and has done nothing since coming here. For a team that drafts defensive lineman more frequently then I change wives, they have zero talent up front to show for it.

Special teams still no return game, still getting horrible FP after every punt or kick off.

I know it is only PS and means nothing, but in last nights game, I saw all of the familiar earmarks of a Todd Bowles coached team.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

-Darnold was ok, at best, no matter how much flowery language some folks want to lay on his performance.  Looked like what he is, a very green, quite unready-to-start-yet, rookie QB with a literal ton of potential but needing time to learn the pro game.  He was Chad Pennington reborn last night, dink, dunk, dink, dunk, oops INT.  And yes, that INT was all him (stop making excuses ffs, being honest doesn't make you dislike the kid).  People flogging his play are living in a fantasy world of affectation, not fact.  They desperately WANT him to start, so they'll see what they want to see, not what is real.  

Your hate for this kid has been showing big time lately with another absolutely ridiculous take.

Darnold progressed and learned vs the ones, Rookie as advertised, no concerns 

Teddy showed a much stronger arm than advertised, we have not seen his ceiling yet, he has only started 30 games in the NFL, not even 2 full seasons?  yes, he had the injury but recovered, not like he is some journeyman backup, his story is just getting started - would like to see him extended 

Sam Darnold

Here are some quick thought on the NY Jets preseason game vs the Washington Redskins.

-Sluggish effort in all phases as it seemed a week of travel, practices and fights carried over to the game.

– A very soft defensive effort which allowed too many yards.  The good thing was they were able to tighten up in the red zone and only give up FG’s.

– There was no pressure from the standard pass rush and Bowles didn’t seem to dial up many/any blitzes.  The run defense was ok but there were mistakes that allowed a couple of big runs (Darron Lee got washed out on one big gainer).

– The tackling was nowhere near as clean as the ATL game and there were way too many personal fouls.  Frankie Luvu has to clean up his technique, he brings the kind of effort you want in applying pressure but you can’t give up multiple personal fouls.

– Avery Williamson, Doug Middleton, Jordan Jenkins and for the first time as a Jet Rashard Robinson flashed.

– Offensively Bates worked around a banged up OLine and tried not to expose them and the QB’s by keeping the passing game short & quick.  They allowed pressure though as WSH got Jonotthan Harrison to whiff on one sack and forced Sam Darnold into another sack due to coverage.  There was no consistent movement in the run game, the starters need to get healthy and back into the lineup.

– Sam Darnold impressed me more in this game than the ATL one.  He struggled in his first drive with a three and out then recovered in his next two to move the ball into scoring territory. In addition playing behind a makeshift OLine with pressure coming, he never seemed rattled. He made good decisions with the ball and even the INT wasn’t a bad play.  On 4th down I want my QB taking a shot at extending the drive rather than throwing the ball out of bounds as one analyst suggested.  They do realize that if you don’t get the first down the ball is being “turned over” anyway?  Darnold also improved getting the team in and out of the huddle as he was able to get to the line with 12-15 seconds left on the clock.

– Teddy Bridgewater played well and hopefully continues to increase his value.  Considering the pressure he was under he showed good mobility in the pocket and his usual accuracy. Bridgewater’s INT was bad because WSH CB had the vertical route covered he should have thrown a back shoulder.

You can discuss this topic in our NY Jets forum.

The post Jets \ Redskins Game Observations appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
QR3aoQTTVAs

Click here to read the full story...

biggest disappointment with this team after a decade of defensive first round picks and all the money pumped into the defense via free agency over the years, is that:

1) they still don't have an impact player on defense, someone who either gets sacks, disrupts the run consistently or can cause turnovers

2) they still can't get off the field on 3rd downs and give up long drives.  darnold had the ball for all of 3 drives in the first half.

these two fails are hallmarks of bowles' defense, but to be fair, rex had these issues too.  the difference was that in rex's first two years the offense was good so they TOP was much better.  at least darnold isn't the problem, and in general, the qbs are not the problem with this team.  darnold probably gives this team the best chance to win b/c of his mobility, ironically.

Darnold wasn’t as good as people made it out to be the first game

and he wasn’t as bad this game as people are making it

i agree, I actually saw more things this game that impressed me than the first

he’s going to be great, but right now Bridgewater is way better. I’d say Bridgewater could be a top 12 QB in the game right now 

24 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Darnold progressed and learned vs the ones, Rookie as advertised, no concerns 

Teddy showed a much stronger arm than advertised, we have not seen his ceiling yet, he has only started 30 games in the NFL, not even 2 full seasons?  yes, he had the injury but recovered, not like he is some journeyman backup, his story is just getting started - would like to see him extended 

Agreed, it would be great for the Jets to extend Teddy.

Teddy would be an idiot for doing so however ... And he won't.

Teddy will be the starting QB somewhere next season ... In addition to that he will be the QB of necessity if an injury/trade scenario occurs this year

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Your hate for this kid has been showing big time lately with another absolutely ridiculous take.

As usual, whiny, off-topic emotional nonsense from JiF. :rolleyes: 

"Why don't you love him like I do!" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't "hate" Darnold at all.  I have no personal feeling for him one way or the other, seems like a nice enough kid.  Has a goofy charm, in fact.

I fully expect he has the potential to be a quality starter in the NFL, the best prospect we've had in a long time.  That's strong praise from me.

With that said, none of that changes a single word of my critique of him and his play to-date.  His potential is obvious, and he looks good...for a very young rookie.

He is not ready to start yet, based on his play through two preseason games, and is not the best QB on the roster today, IMO.

I can respect those who hold alternate opinions when based on facts.

I do not respect fawning screee'ing fascist fanbois who demand unquestioning "love" and think everyone who doesn't join them in their Teen Beat Fanclub must "hate" the player in question.

I'm not 13 years old JiF. 

Grow up.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Darnold was ok, at best, no matter how much flowery language some folks want to lay on his performance.  Looked like what he is, a very green, quite unready-to-start-yet, rookie QB with a literal ton of potential but needing time to learn the pro game.  He was Chad Pennington reborn last night, dink, dunk, dink, dunk, oops INT.  And yes, that INT was all him (stop making excuses ffs, being honest doesn't make you dislike the kid).  People flogging his play are living in a fantasy world of affectation, not fact.  They desperately WANT him to start, so they'll see what they want to see, not what is real. 

Chad reborn?  Lol.  You did say pre draft that Darnold was a weak armed QB, compared him to Chad.  

But thanks for the facts you've provided for us. 

Just now, Warfish said:

As usual, whiny, off-topic emotional nonsense from JiF. :rolleyes: 

"Why don't you love him like I do!" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't "hate" Darnold at all.  I have no personal feeling for him one way or the other, seems like a nice enough kid.  Has a goofy charm, in fact.

I fully expect he has the potential to be a quality starter in the NFL, the best prospect we've had in a long time.  That's strong praise from me.

With that said, none of that changes a single word of my critique of him and his play to-date.  His potential is obvious, and he looks good...for a very young rookie.

He is not ready to start yet, based on his play through two preseason games, and is not the best QB on the roster today, IMO.

I can respect those who hold alternate opinions when based on facts.

I do not respect fawning screee'ing fascist fanbois who demand unquestioning "love" and think everyone who doesn't join them in their Teen Beat Fanclub must "hate" the player in question.

I'm not 13 years old JiF. 

Grow up.

You're calling me emotional and telling me to grow up because I believe (and everyone else in the world for that matter) that you're stance on Darnold has been totally off?  lmfao.  ok buddy.

And this post, is a radically different post than what I responded to but whatever, you're all over the place.  He's meh, he's Chad Pennington, he's not showing starter potential but now he is?...okay...

Me think this is you doubling down on your ridiculous post about him not being a top 3 pick. 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

When does Williams step up and become a dominant player?  Or at least in on, and impacting, some plays?  Guy looks like "Eh, Mr. Okay".

Hes overhyped. Its clear at this point. hes very very average and nothing special. Id even let him go if he expects big $$$

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're calling me emotional and telling me to grow up because I believe (and everyone else in the world for that matter) that you're stance on Darnold has been totally off?  lmfao.  ok buddy.

And this post, is a radically different post than what I responded to but whatever, you're all over the place.  He's meh, he's Chad Pennington, he's not showing starter potential but now he is?...okay...

Me think this is you doubling down on your ridiculous post about him not being a top 3 pick. 

Darnold stunk last night.  And its ok.  Hes young, he will learn and get better.

But saying he was more impressive last night then week one is utterly ridiculous.  Take off your green and white glasses.  My goodness.

There was a huge difference in effort and crispness in the Jets play 

Part of that is on Bowles and the players but I would never travel for shared practices again. Let them come to Florham Park. 

We'll see against the Giants if the effort and energy comes back 

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold stunk last night.  And its ok.  Hes young, he will learn and get better.

But saying he was more impressive last night then week one is utterly ridiculous.  Take off your green and white glasses.  My goodness.

Show me where I said that sweetheart.

He did not stink.  Was he great, no? but it's actually exactly what you want to see from a 21 year old rookie.  He took what the D gave him playing behind some of the worst OL play I've ever seen.   He didnt press, he didnt force anything (other than on 4th down which is better than taking a sack or throwing the ball away), he showed accuracy, he showed poise, he showed pocket presence, picked up a couple of nice 3rd downs and led the team on scoring drives.  Sure, he held the ball too long on a couple of plays that were well covered but that sh*t is easily fixable because he's very decisive most of the time.

Saying he "stunk" last night, is ridiculous.  

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He held his shit in a worse case scenario. He did not fumble and kept two hands on  the ball. The pic was better than an incompletion facing 4th down. Maybe not better play but a better look at his growth from getting drafted. 

Tje throw he forced the on 4th rather tossed it outta bound  gives a peek at where his football IQ is at. I came away impressed as well.

Miving forward no way you start him now, he is not ready to compete with this offensive offense . Play Teddy. But Sam is going to be a player so let’s not F it up. 

Just now, JiF said:

Show me where I said that sweetheart.

He did not stink.  Was he great, no? but it's actually exactly what you want to see from a 21 year old rookie.  He took what the D gave him playing behind some of the worst OL play I've ever seen.   He didnt press, he didnt force anything (other than on 4th down which is better than taking a sack or throwing the ball away), he showed accuracy, he showed poise, he showed pocket presence, picked up a couple of nice 3rd downs and led the team on scoring drives.  Sure, he held the ball too long on a couple of plays that were well covered but that sh*t is easily fixable because he's very decisive most of the time.

Saying he "stunk" last night, is ridiculous.  

Sweetheart? You Pig! 

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He barely played. Defense couldnt get off the field. Hard to take anything away from 3 possessions.

I thought darnold had a good outing for a rookie. He was calm and cool under pressure and made a lot of nice throws. At this point, you'd have to be crazy to be super critical of him.

very happy to have him. he is no pennington. warfish blames him for "dink and dunk" but hes not calling the plays. BTW, dink dunk can be effective.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

When you talk about me (not the topic), like a 13 year old girl whining about "hate"?  Yeah, ok, Teen Beat.

I mean you're literally the "Leave Brittney Alone" gif ffs.

He's meh, he's Chad Pennington, he's not showing starter potential but now he is?...okay...

Yes, an 8 for 11, 62 yard + one shorty INT and a bunch of held-it-too-long sacks in a half of football with no passes longer than what, 8 yards in the air, and 3 points scored?

I'd call that Penningtonesque.   

He absolutely has the potential to be a long-term elite starter in the NFL (clear enough for you Teen Beat?).  His poise and confidence, and even his decision making, is very impressive thus far.

That doesn't mean he has shown he is the best choice to start now, for this team as currently built, in game #1.  And he hasn't, TB (through the first two) has been materially better than him.  

Still a long way to go, PS Games #3 especially, but #4 too as needed.  Darnold could look elite next week and throw for 3 TD's in a half, and TB could sh*t the bed.  It's still early.

As of today, however, I would not start Darnold, not behind this tissue-paper O-line and with these weakest link offensive skill players.  I see no impetus to rush Darnold into being beat up week in and week out just to "learn".  We have a perfectly acceptable QB to play in TB who is better equipped, today, to win games and lead the team.  If we can shore up the O-line and show we have any skill players worth a damn, and Darnold contnues to improve to be closer to equal to TB, I would then fully support his starting.

In before all this becomes wasted effort and you go back to more Teen Beat "hate" talk.  :rolleyes:

Archived