Quick Observations (WSH)

KRL

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Tom Brady has literally made a career out of dinking and dunking and we're knocking Sam for perfectly executing quick pass plays that were clearly designed?

My gawd...

the game plan last night told me that the Jets are terrified of their OLine

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It surprises how many people are rustled about the check downs.  I have seen a slew of ex-players, scouts, coaches etc praising him for those decisions last night.

Come on here and it's anarchy.

He showed have thrown deep into double coverage because it's only preseason...... followed by a 3 INT disaster of a game and those same people complaining that Darnold is lost. 

As a rookie, he should just take what the defense is giving him early. When the jets are down 6 with 2 minutes left, then you can let Darnold start taking some more chances and relying on his instincts. That is when he is at his best and that is when mistakes are more easily justified. 

Either way, a 70pct completion percentage is something Hackenberg couldn't do against air. 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. The pass was not a good play, INT or not. But for a rookie, it was a pretty standard mistake. He saw the defender jump inside (to cover Powell) and when Powell started to block he tracked Darnold's eyes and the nearest jet and jumped the route. Tough for Darnold to expect/see that, but a play he can't make. 

Again, it was 4th down so an INT in that spot is pretty much the same as a ball that is thrown away. He probably had a read and was hoping Kearse would fight for the ball. He was also probably looking to get rid of the ball quickly to avoid a sack (a little gun shy). 

Again, not a good play, but not a terrible play considering the down and coverage. 

Yes if he does this on 3rd down in the red zone, or really anywhere it’s a bad rookie mistake, but here you don’t know if he knows he is throwing a risky ball that he normally shouldn’t because he has to with it being 4th down, maybe if it’s any other down he pulls the ball down takes the sack to live, and play another play.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Show me where I said that sweetheart.

He did not stink.  Was he great, no? but it's actually exactly what you want to see from a 21 year old rookie.  He took what the D gave him playing behind some of the worst OL play I've ever seen.   He didnt press, he didnt force anything (other than on 4th down which is better than taking a sack or throwing the ball away), he showed accuracy, he showed poise, he showed pocket presence, picked up a couple of nice 3rd downs and led the team on scoring drives.  Sure, he held the ball too long on a couple of plays that were well covered but that sh*t is easily fixable because he's very decisive most of the time.

Saying he "stunk" last night, is ridiculous.  

I ws more disappointed int he game planning.  I would have preferred more risk.  I am not worried about a few mistakes.  I wanted to see him roll a bit more.

People complaining about the checkdowns must not having been paying attention to the fact that Da'Ron Payne and Johnathan Allen were in the backfield on every single play. Clearly the gameplan was to get the ball out quickly to prevent Sam from getting murdered because he was playing with Brent Qvale and Jonotthon Harrison.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Where should he have gone with the ball?

Sweet block by Powell too.  What a freeze frame!!! haha

You dont get sacked on 4th down and you don't ground it.  Either run or try to stick it in there.  And it was a tip, not a straight INT

7 minutes ago, jack48 said:

the game plan last night told me that the Jets are terrified of their OLine

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I ws more disappointed int he game planning.  I would have preferred more risk.  I am not worried about a few mistakes.  I wanted to see him roll a bit more.

Agreed...but dont you think your first point was why? Any play that wasnt a quick hitter, was a sack.  The OL was awful.  

1 minute ago, jack48 said:

You dont get sacked on 4th down and you don't ground it.  Either run or try to stick it in there.  And it was a tip, not a straight INT

100%.  stupidest sh*t I've ever seen giving him flack for the INT.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed...but dont you think your first point was why? Any play that wasnt a quick hitter, was a sack.  The OL was awful.  

True.  I just think we will have no success playing close to the vest.  We need to try and attack. Our best tool of attack is Sam rolling out and making time to  find some targets--IMHO

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

People complaining about the checkdowns must not having been paying attention to the fact that Da'Ron Payne and Johnathan Allen were in the backfield on every single play. Clearly the gameplan was to get the ball out quickly to prevent Sam from getting murdered because he was playing with Brent Qvale and Jonotthon Harrison.

Who will he be playing with next week?

What about week 1 of the regular?

Week 10?

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Your hate for this kid has been showing big time lately with another absolutely ridiculous take.

Darnold's int on 4th and 1 against first stringers where he's trying to make a play and the int actually hurt the skins because they lost two yards gets this:

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

oops INT.  And yes, that INT was all him (stop making excuses ffs, being honest doesn't make you dislike the kid).

Bridgewater's int against 4th stringers on a 1st and 10 where Teddy shouldn't have even thrown the ball because even a perfect throw would have been over the top where either the WR gets it or it's incomplete....gets no mention at all. And Teddy was materially better because he threw (albiet a gorgeous) TD...against third stringers.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Coaching for laughs 

They are so infuriating.  Late half and endgame defense pisses me off too.  Tactically, at least.  We should just let them run it up the field for  TD and get the ball back.  Team with the ball last always seems to win--if they have a QB

The 10 yard cushion by the DB’s is so infuriating, your inviting teams to just take 4-8 yards every single play with a chance for a huge play if the receiver makes the defender miss, and it’s not like we have CB’s who can’t jam it’s what they do best for Christ sakes, and don’t tell me relax it’s just a preseason game this sh*t has been going on with the Jets D since Bowles got here in 2015, and was the sole reason the Jets got embarrassed by Watkins, and the Bills week 17 with a playoff birth on the line, and it hasn’t stopped.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who will he be playing with next week?

What about week 1 of the regular?

Week 10?

Next week he'll be playing with the same jokers, unfortunately.

God willing for the regular season we'll have Kelvin Beachum and Brian Winters out there healthy and playing well.

But yeah, it's going to be a tough year for Darnold if the offensive line plays as poorly as they did last night. They totally sucked and that's 100% on Macagnan for essentially ignoring the position for four years.

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It surprises how many people are rustled about the check downs.  I have seen a slew of ex-players, scouts, coaches etc praising him for those decisions last night.

Come on here and it's anarchy.

But to Jetnation he's Chad 2.0 

9 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

What the hell is with you Man??????

Who the hell is the Brady guy, obviously a sucker who can't play the QB position, just look at those numbers!  Check Down Charlie they should call him!

Dude wont amount to NOTHIN!!!! 

Oh boy.....Some of us would be one step away from calling Tom Brady a loser based on those stats.

IT IS EMBARRASSING.....

Some of you who were literally saying give Geno Smith more time have the chutzpah to say Darnold sucked because he wasn't throwing the ball all over the field, in the 2nd PS game, when he was operating with a porous OL!

Good Grief!!!

Let's Go Jets.... :) 

50 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Darnold's int on 4th and 1 against first stringers where he's trying to make a play and the int actually hurt the skins because they lost two yards gets this:

2nd stringers.  In the Red Zone.

This is exactly my point, when we reach a point where we cannot say "that was a bad INT and it was on the QB", we've got a problem.

Liking Darnold, and I LIKE Darnold, does not equate to denying reality.

50 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Bridgewater's int against 4th stringers on a 1st and 10 where Teddy shouldn't have even thrown the ball because even a perfect throw would have been over the top where either the WR gets it or it's incomplete....gets no mention at all. And Teddy was materially better because he threw (albiet a gorgeous) TD...against third stringers.

Definitely against 3rd/4th stringers, just like Darnold's week one success in PS #1.

And TB's INT it was definitely on the QB, on TB.  WR didn't remotely have enough separation, and didn't make any move on the ball to try and make a play either, but the QB should have not thrown it in the first place, it wasn't even NFL-small-window-open, much less open-open.

Of course, a it was a throw that was a on-a-rope bullet downfield 25+ yards, something we're really not seen from Darnold, at all, as yet.

I'm all for competition and comparison, long as we're being fair and using the same standards.  

56 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This can't be correct because I have heard that Sam Darnold sucked in this game!!

No you haven't.

Exactly one poster on all of JN said he sucked.  One.

Feel free to use the search yourself for the word "suck" if you like CB.

Some of us have criticisms.  Most of those with criticism still think Darnold has shown some great things, and some elite flashes.

It's not all or nothing, few things ever are.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

-Darnold was ok, at best, no matter how much flowery language some folks want to lay on his performance.  Looked like what he is, a very green, quite unready-to-start-yet, rookie QB with a literal ton of potential but needing time to learn the pro game.  He was Chad Pennington reborn last night, dink, dunk, dink, dunk, oops INT.  And yes, that INT was all him (stop making excuses ffs, being honest doesn't make you dislike the kid).  People flogging his play are living in a fantasy world of affectation, not fact.  They desperately WANT him to start, so they'll see what they want to see, not what is real. 

THIS......couldnt have said it better myself.

29 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Kurt Warner chimed in on one of the threads I was reading and basically talked about positive plays etc, and how taking what the defense gives you is what being a good QB is all about.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yeah BRWs INT was awful. But there is this odd lovefest for the guy and several active posters that prefer him to Darnold. Dont get it

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No you haven't.

Some of us have criticisms.  Most of those with criticism still think Darnold has shown some great things, and some elite flashes.

To be fair, people can't be expected to read each of your posts that are miniature novels, so people have take their best guess at the content.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2nd stringers.  In the Red Zone.

This is exactly my point, when we reach a point where we cannot say "that was a bad INT and it was on the QB", we've got a problem.

Liking Darnold, and I LIKE Darnold, does not equate to denying reality.

Definitely against 3rd/4th stringers, just like Darnold's week one success in PS #1.

And TB's INT it was definitely on the QB, on TB.  WR didn't remotely have enough separation, and didn't make any move on the ball to try and make a play either, but the QB should have not thrown it in the first place, it wasn't even NFL-small-window-open, much less open-open.

Of course, a it was a throw that was a on-a-rope bullet downfield 25+ yards, something we're really not seen from Darnold, at all, as yet.

I'm all for competition and comparison, long as we're being fair and using the same standards.  

What was the better decision in that situation? A better throw? 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No you haven't.

Ummmmm I never mentioned you in any of my critiques.  Not one.

As far as I can tell you have essentially said that Sam 1) made some mistakes, 2) needs a superior OL and 3) perhaps should be held back least he be killed.

If I have missed some salient point that you have put forth let me know. 

As far as the first two points, no one I know disagreed with what you posted and the third point, while debatable, is hardly crazy.

Reasonable people can disagree.

And all I can tell you is if one person, a Jet fan, said that Darnold sucked after last night's performance that is one asinine statement to many IMO. 

Under no fair or rationale basis has any objective 3rd Party prognosticator or commentator said that Darnold was subpar or bad last night.  Not One!

Indeed most gave him a better grade than I did! 

Also kindly note for the record I did not down vote that poster's post, quote it directly, or butt fumble it. 

Indeed most of the posts I have commented on in this thread have been 3rd party objective posts, that not only didn't say Sam Darnold played poorly, but to the contrary, imply and state that Darnold was very good and efficient given the limitations that surrounded him.

Let's Go Jets!

6 hours ago, JiF said:

He did not stink.  Was he great, no?

He didnt stink last night but he wasnt lights out either...but right now ANY post that isnt a glowing report is demonized as if you are not rooting for the kid. I think any and ALL of us want him to be successful and an outright stud. He isnt there yet and that is clear but god forbid we have a little perspective around here...not a reference to your posts, just talking about the general theme around the board. 

I didnt want him before we drafted him but I'll be damned if I want him to fail. I have just been a fan of this team since before many on this board were born and every single one of them I went all in and told everyone that would listen was the next coming of Namath. Bought the jersey, sang the song, wore the glasses. 

I can wait to see if he looks as good as the nuts on the rooftop believe in a real game. Or when he plays with the full compliment of offensive players. Then I'll buy the jersey, don the glasses and sing the song again.

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

To be fair, people can't be expected to read each of your posts that are miniature novels, so people have take their best guess at the content.

I know, most folks have the attention span of a gnat and turn off the second an opinion isn't in lockstep with their own.

But in this case, the "suck" post in question wasn't even mine. 

I never said a word about him sucking, that's would be a laughable thing to say.

Which is why almost no one here at JN said it.

Which was my point.  

Carry on.

8 hours ago, KRL said:

I'll re-watch the game tonight after work but just off the top of my head:

- Sluggish effort in all phases as it seemed a week of travel, practices and fights
carried over to the game

- A very soft defensive effort which allowed too many yards.  The good thing was they were
able to tighten up in the red zone and only give up FG's

- There was no pressure from the standard pass rush and Bowles didn't seem to dial up
many/any blitzes.  The run defense was ok but there were mistakes that allowed a couple
of big runs (Darron Lee got washed out on one big gainer)

- The tackling was nowhere near as clean as the ATL game and there were way too many
personal fouls.  Frankie Luvu has to clean up his technique, he brings the kind of
effort you want in applying pressure but you can't give up multiple personal fouls

- Avery Williamson, Doug Middleton, Jordan Jenkins and for the first time as a Jet
Rashard Robinson flashed

- Offensively Bates worked around a banged up OLine and tried not to expose them and
the QB's by keeping the passing game short & quick.  They allowed pressure though as WSH
got Jonotthan Harrison to whiff on one sack and forced Sam Darnold into another sack due
to coverage.  There was no consistent movement in the run game, the starters need to get
healthy and back into the lineup

- Sam Darnold impressed me more in this game than the ATL one.  He struggled in his first drive
with a three and out then recovered in his next two to move the ball into scoring territory.
In addition playing behind a makeshift OLine with pressure coming, he never seemed rattled.
He made good decisions with the ball and even the INT wasn't a bad play.  On 4th down I
want my QB taking a shot at extending the drive rather than throwing the ball out of bounds
as one analyst suggested.  They do realize that if you don't get the first down the ball is
being "turned over" anyway?  Darnold also improved getting the team in and out of the huddle as
he was able to get to the line with 12-15 seconds left on the clock 

- Teddy Bridgewater played well and hopefully continues to increase his value.  Considering
the pressure he was under he showed good mobility in the pocket and his usual accuracy.
Bridgewater's INT was bad because WSH CB had the vertical route covered he should have thrown
a back shoulder   

So say we all.

Archived