Quick Observations (WSH)

KRL

18 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

What was the better decision in that situation? A better throw? 

Not throwing it to the other team would be a start.

The INT was on him, that doesn't make it some unrecoverable sin.  It was a bad read, a rookie throw, and an INT that cost about the same as an incompletion or light sack in the same spot.  I see no reason to rake him over the coals about it, it happens. 

It's his, (to his credit) he owned it in post-game, he'll learn from it.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Warfish said:

My own views: 

-O-Line is horrible, one of the weakest and least talented units in the NFL.  Period stop, this unit sucks.  Again.

-RB is very weak, especially now with injuries/non-players.  I don't see production from this unit, especially with Bowles "focus" on being a running team first and foremost.

-Jets have almost no pass rush to speak of.  Thoroughly unimpressive Defensive front.

-Coach Charlie Weiss on Sirius NFL said it best this morning "Robby Anderson is not a #1".  For us, he is, for anyone else, lol, no.

-Darnold was ok, at best, no matter how much flowery language some folks want to lay on his performance.  Looked like what he is, a very green, quite unready-to-start-yet, rookie QB with a literal ton of potential but needing time to learn the pro game.  He was Chad Pennington reborn last night, dink, dunk, dink, dunk, oops INT.  And yes, that INT was all him (stop making excuses ffs, being honest doesn't make you dislike the kid).  People flogging his play are living in a fantasy world of affectation, not fact.  They desperately WANT him to start, so they'll see what they want to see, not what is real.  

-Teddy Bridgewater thus far is materially the best QB on our roster.  Which won't matter because the team and 90% of the fans desperately want him traded asap and the Jets to roll with two QB's, Darnold and McCown (who apparently needs no work of any kind nowadays).

-The Jets absolute horrible drafting history of the last decade has really come home to roost, we are deeply weak almost across the board at positions where we've invested a ton of draft capital.  D-Line.  Linebacker.  Safety, none are above average even right now.  The O-line is in shambles.  RB is a collection of depth players at best.  WR too a collection of injured players, overreaching players, and disappointing draft picks (where WAS Hanson and Stewart last night?).

-I like Bert-Toilet.  His name amuses me.  My absolute favorite new kicker (and he looks good too, a bonus).

Put simply, we are a materially below average team in terms of talent and skill position players.  

We have a potentially great future QB who is not ready...yet. 

And it might be literally criminal to put him with no-talent Offensive unit just to get him beat up every week while "learning" Tim-Couch-Cleveland-style.

And I'll say what I've said alot over the past few years:  we focus far too much on drafting Defense, and it's paid literally zero dividends.  Macc (and the regimes before him) are simply bad at drafting, and it's obvious.  This team needs a huge infusion of actual, legitimate, skill position and O-line talent asap.  Not another reach defensive lineman from Appalachian Barber College Macc falls in love with.

This is going to be a long year.

Hot take with  the O line  comments...lol

TL;DR version... Warfish being contrarian for sake of being contrarian. Carry on.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. The pass was not a good play, INT or not. But for a rookie, it was a pretty standard mistake. He saw the defender jump inside (to cover Powell) and when Powell started to block he tracked Darnold's eyes and the nearest jet and jumped the route. Tough for Darnold to expect/see that, but a play he can't make. 

Again, it was 4th down so an INT in that spot is pretty much the same as a ball that is thrown away. He probably had a read and was hoping Kearse would fight for the ball. He was also probably looking to get rid of the ball quickly to avoid a sack (a little gun shy). 

Again, not a good play, but not a terrible play considering the down and coverage. 

I'll give him props for aiming beyond the first down line, something his last 10 predecessors failed to do well. 

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

the INT was pretty bad even for a forced throw....

image.png

Darnold’s feet are weird and i’m baffled how more wasn’t made if his footwork in the pre-draft process. This pic illustrates it perfectly he throws it off the back foot or flat-footedl all the time and doesn’t step into the throws, it’s all whippy arm....and yet it seems to work

Just now, Larz said:

@T0mShane

If you posted like a normal person I'd be cool with you. You haven't been funny in forever and the trolling is so tired and old 

Mehta figured out Jets fans were looking for something new about 8 seconds after Darnold was drafted 

You? 

Lol

I’m here for you while you work this out, Lars. I’m glad we’re having this conversation. 

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

This is the best part. I'm sure I missed some scintillating conversations here 

Screenshot_2018-08-17-18-34-34.png

You have Beerfish on ignore?

Beerfish?

Maybe it's better to ask who you don't have on ignore then.

(Presume I'm on ignore, so moving on...)

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

My own views: 

-O-Line is horrible, one of the weakest and least talented units in the NFL.  Period stop, this unit sucks.  Again.

-RB is very weak, especially now with injuries/non-players.  I don't see production from this unit, especially with Bowles "focus" on being a running team first and foremost.

-Jets have almost no pass rush to speak of.  Thoroughly unimpressive Defensive front.

-Coach Charlie Weiss on Sirius NFL said it best this morning "Robby Anderson is not a #1".  For us, he is, for anyone else, lol, no.

-Darnold was ok, at best, no matter how much flowery language some folks want to lay on his performance.  Looked like what he is, a very green, quite unready-to-start-yet, rookie QB with a literal ton of potential but needing time to learn the pro game.  He was Chad Pennington reborn last night, dink, dunk, dink, dunk, oops INT.  And yes, that INT was all him (stop making excuses ffs, being honest doesn't make you dislike the kid).  People flogging his play are living in a fantasy world of affectation, not fact.  They desperately WANT him to start, so they'll see what they want to see, not what is real.  

-Teddy Bridgewater thus far is materially the best QB on our roster.  Which won't matter because the team and 90% of the fans desperately want him traded asap and the Jets to roll with two QB's, Darnold and McCown (who apparently needs no work of any kind nowadays).

-The Jets absolute horrible drafting history of the last decade has really come home to roost, we are deeply weak almost across the board at positions where we've invested a ton of draft capital.  D-Line.  Linebacker.  Safety, none are above average even right now.  The O-line is in shambles.  RB is a collection of depth players at best.  WR too a collection of injured players, overreaching players, and disappointing draft picks (where WAS Hanson and Stewart last night?).

-I like Bert-Toilet.  His name amuses me.  My absolute favorite new kicker (and he looks good too, a bonus).

Put simply, we are a materially below average team in terms of talent and skill position players.  

And it might be literally criminal to put him with no-talent Offensive unit just to get him beat up every week while "learning" Tim-Couch-Cleveland-style.

And I'll say what I've said alot over the past few years:  we focus far too much on drafting Defense, and it's paid literally zero dividends.  Macc (and the regimes before him) are simply bad at drafting, and it's obvious.  This team needs a huge infusion of actual, legitimate, skill position and O-line talent asap.  Not another reach defensive lineman from Appalachian Barber College Macc falls in love with.

So we have the worst OL in the NFL, right? And Sam didnt too well and was just ok? Jeez, I wonder why.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

My own views: 

A little harsh on Darnold, but spot on everywhere else. A month ago I thought this team could get to 9-7, but actually seeing what we’re running out there makes me wonder if we can get to six wins. The most troubling aspect is how soft and unathletic the team is on the OL and in the front seven. These are fatal flaws that don’t get overcome in-season 

Would have been nice if Bowles had played Darnold more than 3 series. Hard to gauge anything off of 11 passes. He needs to play into the 4th qtr against the Giants and they need to throw everything at him. I'm afraid this switch in OC's was to dial back the passing game.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

He didnt stink last night but he wasnt lights out either...but right now ANY post that isnt a glowing report is demonized as if you are not rooting for the kid. I think any and ALL of us want him to be successful and an outright stud. He isnt there yet and that is clear but god forbid we have a little perspective around here...not a reference to your posts, just talking about the general theme around the board. 

I didnt want him before we drafted him but I'll be damned if I want him to fail. I have just been a fan of this team since before many on this board were born and every single one of them I went all in and told everyone that would listen was the next coming of Namath. Bought the jersey, sang the song, wore the glasses. 

I can wait to see if he looks as good as the nuts on the rooftop believe in a real game. Or when he plays with the full compliment of offensive players. Then I'll buy the jersey, don the glasses and sing the song again.

I dont think that's the case but certain people seem to have an agenda and are being just as extreme as the people who are over the moon about him. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont think that's the case but certain people seem to have an agenda and are being just as extreme as the people who are over the moon about him. 

I cant obviously say thats not true but god I would hope that everyone whether they want him or not still realizes that we all have the same underlying hope and that is for him to FINALLY fill the hole at QB that we have had for almost 50 years. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Looking at the Giants game, and if David Webb is better than Sam Darnold I can make a Genuine Rolex watch out of toilet paper.....

The guy acts like he is going to jump out of his skin!!!!

Is Barkley playing? 

Just now, jetspenguin said:

I cant obviously say thats not true but god I would hope that everyone whether they want him or not still realizes that we all have the same underlying hope and that is for him to FINALLY fill the hole at QB that we have had for almost 50 years. 

Agreed...which is why I completely get the over the moon stuff.  And all the early returns if the Jets dont Jets themselves, we should have a mighty fine player on our hands.  Kid has some magical pocket presence that is extremely hard to teach.  He's incredible when it all breaks down and that happens often in the NFL, unless you're the Patriots and are allowed to hold on every play.  You combine that with his ability to process and his arm talent...I think it's fair to be optimistic about Darnold.  Could be wrong...and this is coming the guy who wanted Watson and was very cautious of the Darnold hype. 

20 hours ago, jack48 said:

I ws more disappointed int he game planning.  I would have preferred more risk.  I am not worried about a few mistakes.  I wanted to see him roll a bit more.

I understand what you are saying, and it will come.  Darnold has shown at USC that he has a gunslinger mentality, and he can make plays by improvising.  IMO Bates is trying to get him to play within the game plan and keep the turn overs down. 

I'm not even a hard core Darnold guy.  Had reservations when they drafted him.  Got to say the kid has really impressed me.  One of the things I'm impressed with is his situational decision making.  In the first drive a defender came right up the middle untouched, Darnold dodged him, and started to run then realized he was doomed, and threw the ball away.  On the  pick, it was 4th down, and actually more of a + play then an incompletion.   Both good decisions in their situations. If he had thrown the pick on the first series it would look the same in the stats as the one later, but in all honesty the pick he threw had 0 impact on the game.  A pick on the first series would have turned a bad Play into a disaster play. Really impressive that a rookie, in his 2nd pre -season game is making them.   I'm good where he is at right now.  I also think he is being handled well by Bates.  

10 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Guess I bought into all the Williams hype.  Gee, a Jet fan getting duped by the team PR and press?  Nah.

I think too many are expecting too much from a 3-4 Dlman especially in Bowles scheme. They are being used as space eaters not as pass rushers.  IMO Williams could be dominant inside as 4-3 DT but I guess Todd is the expert .? 

Archived