Quick Observations (WSH)

KRL

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It surprises how many people are rustled about the check downs.  I have seen a slew of ex-players, scouts, coaches etc praising him for those decisions last night.

Come on here and it's anarchy.

I think the check downs are perfectly fine in the context of what the gameplan is/was. Now there are some of us who are worried about that gameplan when Sept rolls around. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And you do understand the role of a Dlineman is a 3-4 scheme correct ?

Id agree using the 6th pick in the draft on an interior lineman is a poor use of resources. Take that away, Williams hasnt been the impact player we had hoped he'd be. He was drafted to be a disrupter and to get to the QB on third down. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

2nd stringers.  In the Red Zone.

This is exactly my point, when we reach a point where we cannot say "that was a bad INT and it was on the QB", we've got a problem.

Why does it matter that it was in the red zone?  It was 4th down.  Anything but a 1st down was the same outcome.  In the regular season, they line up for 3.

A couple of additions after a full re-watch of the game:

- Darron Lee was bad and showed the "Kyle Wilson finger wag" when he finally got
in on a play

- Brent Qvale was shaky and had an awful false start penalty coming off the
sideline at the start of the 2nd quarter.  It was first and 10 at the WSH
12, after his penalty it was first and 15 and they never recovered

- Jamal Adams played better than I thought and showed his diagnostic skills.
On the long Samaje Perine run (30+ yards) Adams saw it coming, adjusted the
defense and had Darron Lee in proper position.  Unfortunately Lee got washed
out

- Continued strong play by Neville Hewitt at ILB.  If Lee continues to struggle
would Bowles have the guts to replace him?  Also Kevin Minter hasn't been a 
slouch either

- Doug Middleton didn't just have an INT he showed good physicality in run support
and seperating receivers from catches with well timed hits

- Nice TD catch by Charone Peake but is it too little too late?

9 hours ago, KRL said:

- Darron Lee was bad and showed the "Kyle Wilson finger wag" when he finally got
in on a play

out

slouch either

- Doug Middleton didn't just have an INT he showed good physicality in run support

Does the Bowles D understand the concept of a 3 and out, though?  It is almost as if he concedes 6 minutes and 60 yards and designs defense from the 15 yard line in.  It is one of the reasons we lost and have lost int he past.  Teams can orchestrte the final 4 or 5 minutes against us

10 hours ago, KRL said:

in on a play

out

slouch either

Unfortunately, I think Lee is what he is at this point. Young players can certainly improve as they get more experience, but if you are a linebacker that avoids contact, I don't see how that improves, if anything, players tend to become a little "softer" as they get older in an effort to avoid injuries (see Revis). 

Darnold had little to work with Thursday night. His receivers were covered well...and his O-line looked over-matched.

on Defense...their receivers often were wide open...and we had no pass rush. 

The call at the goal line to win the preseason game...(hand off deep in the backfield in a rather slowly developing play)...was abysmal.  If this was a regular season game...I just have to trust it would have been a quick hitter...or a sneak ...from a foot out.  Prob didn’t want to sneak with Bridgewater...so I get that.  

All in all...nothing much seemed positive from the game.  But many here are more football savvy...and perhaps watched more closely. 

Positives?

16 hours ago, Larz said:

@T0mShane

If you posted like a normal person I'd be cool with you. You haven't been funny in forever and the trolling is so tired and old 

Mehta figured out Jets fans were looking for something new about 8 seconds after Darnold was drafted 

You? 

Lol

Wait a second - are you implying Tom Shane at one point was funny ?

12 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Yet TB went out of his way to blame the call... How did he miss that qoute from the HC?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So your saying TB is in mid-season form already throwing his OC under the bus. Does he get to pick a 4th one next season . Meanwhile good ol Kacy has been a pillar of - well let's just leave it at a pillar. 

PFF: Teddy Bridgewater, Nathan Shepherd among Jets' top graders vs. Redskins

usatsi_11092523-1-e1534604287634.jpg?w=1

TWEET
 EMAIL

The Jets lost their second preseason game to Washington, 15-13, on Thursday, but there were some individual performances that stood out to Pro Football Focus.

The analytics website loved no one more than Teddy Bridgewater. The former Viking, who is coming off a devastating knee injury, handled the Redskins’ pass rush with ease. Bridgewater was pressured on 10 of his 18 dropbacks but went 6-7 for 65 yards and a touchdown when feeling the heat. Of the 41 quarterbacks who have dropped back more than 15 times in the preseason, Bridgewater’s passing grade is 86.5, which ranks second.

The players supposed to be protecting Bridgwater had an atrocious night. The offensive line allowed nine pressures, including two sacks, two hits and five hurries on 31 pass block snaps. For the entire preseason so far, the Jets O-line has a 55.8 pass block grade, 24th in the NFL.

Defensively, rookie lineman Nathan Shepherd impressed PFF the most. Overall, Shepherd received a 90.7 defensive grade. He had two run stops in the game, as well as a QB hit and an unrecorded pressure.

Finally, cornerback Rashard Robinson had a surprisingly strong performance. Robinson’s name doesn’t usually come up in a positive context, but PFF gave him an 82.5 coverage grade, which was the best on the team. He was targeted seven times and only allowed four receptions for a measly 30 yards. He also had one pass breakup.

One play that stunned me (no pun intended) was Luvu's late hit on their QB, complete with lowering his head AND hitting him right on the chin with the top of his helmet. If he had been flagged and ejected according to the new or old rules, it would have been fair. I couldn't believe the QB got right up. 

Here's one thing I don't get.  If you're worried about Darnold behind this offensive line then why would you ever start Bridgewater? He's less mobile and coming off an injury that almost took his leg. The chances of him getting inured again are sky high so the Jets need to be proactive in moving him soon after the 3rd preseason game. Hopefully he plays some against the Giants first team and plays well without getting inured. 

There is no benefit in starting Bridgewater since he will not be here beyond this season. He will be looking for an opportunity to start and he won't have that here.  Anybody who thinks the Jets have any chance of re-signing him are living in la la land. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Here's one thing I don't get.  If you're worried about Darnold behind this offensive line then why would you ever start Bridgewater?

He's better (for now).

He's disposable.

He's less mobile

No, he isn't.

and coming off an injury that almost took his leg.

Two years ago, fully healed.  

And again, he is disposable.

The chances of him getting inured again are sky high

Source?

so the Jets need to be proactive in moving him soon after the 3rd preseason game.

Given how imobile and injury risk he is, if we take your word, why on earth would someone ELSE want him in a trade?

There is no benefit in starting Bridgewater since he will not be here beyond this season. He will be looking for an opportunity to start and he won't have that here. 

Opinions, they're like....well, you know the rest.

It IS funny how inconsistent the Teddy Traders are, on one hand they talk endless smack about how bad and risky TB is....

....on the other they're confident some OTHER team will trade us a high pick for him, late in preseason, with many thinking TB will replace their starter!  The very definition of a "our trash for your treasure" type argument.

Amazing scenes.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It IS funny how inconsistent the Teddy Traders are, on one hand they talk endless smack about how bad and risky TB is....

....on the other they're confident some OTHER team will trade us a high pick for him, late in preseason, with many thinking TB will replace their starter!  The very definition of a "our trash for your treasure" type argument.

Absolutely nothing at all like the people referring to Teddy as the best QB on the team, some even calling him the second best QB in the AFCe, then claiming the Jets couldn’t possibly hope to get more than a fifth round pick for him. 

Nothing like that at all. 

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

Here's one thing I don't get.  If you're worried about Darnold behind this offensive line then why would you ever start Bridgewater? He's less mobile and coming off an injury that almost took his leg. The chances of him getting inured again are sky high so the Jets need to be proactive in moving him soon after the 3rd preseason game.

Because Darnold is the future. Bridgewater probably won't be here next year.

Don't want to risk ruining Darnold's future with a poor O-line.

Was Darnold great?  No

Was it all his fault?  No....the O-Line stunk.

HOWEVER....the one thing that does not make sense is the complaint about the INT, and what Cimini (I think) wrote, about NO turnovers in the red zone.  It was 4th and 1.  He had to make some play or lose it on downs.  He didn't see anything else but to try and force the ball in.  I do not see how you blame him for trying to make a play on something he had to or lose the ball on downs. 

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

Here's one thing I don't get.  If you're worried about Darnold behind this offensive line then why would you ever start Bridgewater? He's less mobile and coming off an injury that almost took his leg. The chances of him getting inured again are sky high so the Jets need to be proactive in moving him soon after the 3rd preseason game. Hopefully he plays some against the Giants first team and plays well without getting inured. 

There is no benefit in starting Bridgewater since he will not be here beyond this season. He will be looking for an opportunity to start and he won't have that here.  Anybody who thinks the Jets have any chance of re-signing him are living in la la land. 

Because Bridgewater will be only a memory for jets fans after this season.  Darnold is supposed to be the franchise next 10-15 years

2 hours ago, slats said:

Absolutely nothing at all like the people referring to Teddy as the best QB on the team, some even calling him the second best QB in the AFCe, then claiming the Jets couldn’t possibly hope to get more than a fifth round pick for him. 

Nothing like that at all. 

That's not what Warfish is saying at all, and not what many have stated who want to keep Teddy for the short-term.

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Just remember when this was the Jets Football discussions!!!

Oh how times have changed!!!

Lets Go Jets!! :) 

Not sure what you are saying but I don’t want to risk tearing the ACL of or getting a head injury on my young franchise qb on the road against a team that has pass rushers 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Because Bridgewater will be only a memory for jets fans after this season.  Darnold is supposed to be the franchise next 10-15 years

This is true; and I would LOVE to recoup that 2nd round pick or more for Bridgewater if possible.  But right now, maybe the best thing Bridgewater could do for us is start and keep Sam from risking his life for the next year behind that O-Line if it doesn't play much better. 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Not sure what you are saying but I don’t want to risk tearing the ACL of or getting a head injury on my young franchise qb on the road against a team that has pass rushers 

I agree with you and am in favor of bringing in Sam after 5 games only.....

I was only saying isn't it good we can talk football instead of foolishness... :) 

32 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

This is true; and I would LOVE to recoup that 2nd round pick or more for Bridgewater if possible.  But right now, maybe the best thing Bridgewater could do for us is start and keep Sam from risking his life for the next year behind that O-Line if it doesn't play much better. 

We are not getting a 2nd for Bridgewater 

Archived