front office is the culprit for the jets

jets rooter

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Your mind is a funny thing. You create these narratives that you try to pass off as gospel, that have no grounding in reality.

But, carry on.

Which is amusing coming from a human who ritually ascribes hidden motives that have no basis in reality to posters on message boards. but cArRY AwN.

10 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Jackie Davidson recently left the front office after something like 10 years for the jets.   Unclear on reasons why.  She was the chief negotiator for Big Macc, so we will see what happens.

They’re replacing her with a dude that worked under Tannenbaum, which makes you think Davidson is leaving of her own accord. 

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

What If I told you that the eagles use less resources than any other team in the draft on OLine?

You would be wrong.  Since mac took over the jets have used the least draft resources of any team on the oline when looking at picks and quality (round) of picks.

Even just watching the Browns now, they have prospects playing well into the second half that would all start for the Jets. The castoffs playing RB last night, like where do our draft picks go? Thomas Rawls? come on. 

Where is Leggett? What happened to Herndon? Hansen, Stewart? Invisible. Mauldin's eating egg noodles and ketchup. Burris? They've boned pretty much every draft.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Who cares what the eagles do.  They caught lightning in a bottle and won 1 super bowl.  They will come back to earth this year.  Im not following anything the crappy eagles do.

the Eagles have a real HC , we do not

9 hours ago, jets rooter said:

Most successful teams build by building the offensive line through the draft.The jets have done little with their early picks.watching the jets last night proves my point.darnell and bridgewater had little time to complete their passes.

I refuse to build an offensive line for a QB I do not know

@Thai Jet now do you get the Joke

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Even just watching the Browns now, they have prospects playing well into the second half that would all start for the Jets. The castoffs playing RB last night, like where do our draft picks go? Thomas Rawls? come on. 

Where is Leggett? What happened to Herndon? Hansen, Stewart? Invisible. Mauldin's eating egg noodles and ketchup. Burris? They've boned pretty much every draft.

^

The issue is not only did the Jets invest few resources in the OL over the past three drafts, but they overdrafted players who may not even make the team.  I can’t imagine that they could not have found an OL that was could have made the team rather than players like Leggett, Donahue, Stewart and Hansen.  

They used three draft picks on DL this past draft, while having to let Sheldon and Mo go.  And Coples.  

The good news is that the Front Office found a QB.  The bad news is that the other drafting has been atrocious.  

10 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Until this year did we really have anyone worth investing heavily into offensive line to protect?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

The most interesting and insightful post I've read on this forum, in a while. When Mac took over he had the  whole team to rebuild. He made, what he felt to be the most logical choices based on draft grade and need. He spent,but didn't overspend on Free agents he felt could help. Center needed to be upgraded, he got long. With a draft and ninety million in cap space next offseason, oline help is on the way.

12 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Of the final 4 playoff teams, 3 starting OL out of the 20 were drafted in RD 1 or 2 by the team they were playing for.  The number of undrafted FA starting for those same 4 teams was at least double.

So no, good teams don't use the early rounds of the draft to build their OL.

Everyone saw the Cowboys do it and think it's some blueprint to follow.  Problem is the Cowboys aren't good.

The place to really invest in the OL is in free agency.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson & Nick mangold say hello.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson & Nick mangold say hello.

Great Players.  They both have career winning percentages below 500 and have 3 playoff appearances in 10 and 11 year careers respectively.

Its not a debate of whether you can get good players on the OL in early rounds.  Of course you can.  Just like you can any other position.  

Its a debate if that method of team building, spending high draft picks on OL(especially multiple high draft picks) is a blueprint for sustained success.  From the high level research I've done, it doesn't seem to be.

2 hours ago, genot said:

The most interesting and insightful post I've read on this forum, in a while. When Mac took over he had the  whole team to rebuild. He made, what he felt to be the most logical choices based on draft grade and need. He spent,but didn't overspend on Free agents he felt could help. Center needed to be upgraded, he got long. With a draft and ninety million in cap space next offseason, oline help is on the way.

This is by far the dumbest way to approach building a team, by far.  It is the Houston Texans method when they had David Carr.

- You know that you are going to draft a franchise type young QB

- You totally ignore the oline for 4 years.

- You let your franchise Qb get his ass kicked and get hurt for 3 or 4 years while you build the oline.

- Also fail to get ANY real offensive weapons.

Know why dak prescott looked so good and mark sanchez had some success when they came into the league?  The oiine was already there, they had weapons.

Also it is 100% delusional to think you can  build and oline in a year or two.

Also it is 100% delusional to think you can get really good olineman in fa just because you have cap space.

If you drew up a plan for the worst way to build a team the current jets have the blueprint.

Draft non premium positions 1st, take fliers on positions you already have covered so you end up with 7 or 8 medium guys fighting it out.  Over draft due to 'hunches'.

Fail to see where the league is going in your draft strategy.  NFL = No hit league

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like the team has taken on Bowles’ personality and have stocked the roster and coaching staff with low-maintenance dudes with low ceilings that won’t test Bowles’ authority. Maccagnan is bad, and those two stories written (by Breer and Cimini) regarding the Jets pursuit of Darnold made it seem like a lot of people in the building know that Maccagnan is overmatched. End of the day, it’s just a bad mix of two guys hired a few clicks beyond their abilities.

Ding ding ding. Having Mo and Sheldon both lose the script is a terminable offense for a HC, especially when that HC is a former player and a defensive coach to boot. Guess what: great players know they are great and usually don't act like pussycats. Our two best players turded out under Bowles and were sold for a song. He sucks.

Bowles is also the reason that there was no way/no how Rosen was ever gonna be a NYJ.

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Until this year did we really have anyone worth investing heavily into offensive line to protect?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

We couldn't draft a FQB because he would get killed behind our terrible line. We couldn't invest in our line because we didn't have a FQB worthy of protecting. I see.

Had Macc not whiffed horribly on all those 2nd round picks, we could have a OL right now that would be gelled together nicely after a couple seasons playing together. Instead we got Hackenberg throwing a cigarette into a trash can, missing and burning down Yellowstone jokes.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:55 PM, Matt39 said:

Macagnan is the real problem.  He is a lousy drafter 

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Ding ding ding. Having Mo and Sheldon both lose the script is a terminable offense for a HC, especially when that HC is a former player and a defensive coach to boot. Guess what: great players know they are great and usually don't act like pussycats. Our two best players turded out under Bowles and were sold for a song. He sucks.

Bowles is also the reason that there was no way/no how Rosen was ever gonna be a NYJ.

Bowles is an empty suit head coach. If the jets are smart they will fire him next January and bring back Rex

On 8/17/2018 at 6:53 PM, nico002 said:

What If I told you that the eagles use less resources than any other team in the draft on OLine?

On 8/17/2018 at 9:54 PM, Beerfish said:

You would be wrong.  Since mac took over the jets have used the least draft resources of any team on the oline when looking at picks and quality (round) of picks.

Even if it was the case, which it isn't, the two teams' lines aren't and haven't been in the same situations. One with an already-solid OL (especially one that finds their next LT in round 5 while it already had an older but still top-notch starter in place). In 2016 they drafted a guard in round 3, Vaitai in round 5, and signed a pair of FA guards. While doing this they already had pro bowlers at LT, RT, and C. 

In these past 4 seasons the Jets have spent exactly zero picks in the first 4 rounds on their OL. This is despite while fielding mostly bad lines (even the just-ok 2015 line included 3 older, declining players plus Breno). A single 5th round pick and a single 6th round pick, plus contract offers to 3rd-tier, low-demand veterans Beachum, Winters, and Long. He did make an offer to Norwell, but not enough to actually close the deal. 

12 hours ago, jgb said:

Darron Lee clearly dogged it against the Redskins. Straight up opted not to compete and it was so flagrant that Bart Scott called him out for it on the FAN. 

Question: what consequences will Lee face for pulling this sh*t? Will he miss a single snap in a game? Will he lose his job? Will he get demoted? There are four guys behind him competing for his job. Neville Hewitt, Wint, and Frankie Luvu have been throwing themselves into contact trying to make the team. Luvu, in particular, is hitting everything he sees and might literally die before we get to the regular season. But none of them are going to get a real chance to take Lee’s job no matter what Lee does. This is a Bowles staple. He let Cro and Revis dog it, which led to Mo and Sheldon dogging it, which has led to Lee dogging it. It’s a culture now, and Maccagnan better get wise before any more of his draft picks learn that they can get paid and do nothing.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:39 PM, jets rooter said:

Most successful teams build by building the offensive line through the draft.The jets have done little with their early picks.watching the jets last night proves my point.darnell and bridgewater had little time to complete their passes.

Darnell got no time behind that OL. He was invisible the entire game. Literally. Didn’t even see him. 

On 8/17/2018 at 8:02 PM, T0mShane said:

GMs let their scouts scout and intervene when it’s a franchise-defining pick. Maccagnan was out on the road scouting Baker Mayfield when his team was simultaneously trying to give Kirk Cousins $150 mil in cash. 

How is that a bad thing? Kirk isn’t a FHoF type QB to lay the red carpet for. You have to keep your options open. And I’m not a fan of Mac. I think he’s done a terrible job. Two years in a row we had a bottom 5 roster and this year would be three. That’s after being 4 years into his tenure that started off with a third of the salary cap space and 10 wins in his first season. He’s gone South every year. Woody’s proxy handed him a contract extension after two straight 5-11 seasons. 

imo there's plenty of evidence that mac has made some bad moves.  the revis contract and re-signing wilky being two of note.  with regard to draft picks, he's muffed on two second rounders and his first draft isn't looking like anything so great.  but at the same time teams don't succeed by having a revolving door in the front office or coaching staff.  the question now is has he learned anything? i doubt if any rookie gm (along with a rookie coach) can come to a team like the jets and turn it into a winning organization is one or two seasons.  yep we all saw parcells go from worst to nearly first in a couple of seasons but he also came into a team with some pretty good players and some choice draft picks.  and then he lucked into very good qb play from vinny.  and even he made the huge mistake of going into the 99 season with only two qb's.  mistakes happen.

this should be the year that determines if bowles and mac should stay beyond 2020.  they need to show some considerable improvement over the last couple of seasons.  and wins will matter.

I like all of you on this board know we need O line help. With our priorities set and enough cap space we were supposed to land some talent in FA. 3 points: 1) we got what we could and didn’t overpay, 2)there were not that many o linemen available and 3) we took QB over o line and got there with our second round pics that would have no doubt been used for o line men.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The last Jets team was built largely on the back of the draft where we took two offensive linemen in the first round (Brick and Mangold).  As much as anybody on the team, they helped us get to two AFC championship games, despite mediocre QB play.  Every once in a while, you have to invest in your OL.

Archived