The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

The Crimson King

Lesson #190
Why Multi Effects boards are Good
studio190429.jpeg.0e688315fdfb3fe0d08864d44403832b.jpeg 
So many folks claim that individual peals are better than multi effects but what they don't tell you is:
So which pedal is that hum coming from? 
No sound? Now which connection is off?
Why does this sound like crap?
All you need to do is tweak to get that perfect sound? Yeah right, it is going to take years !
In case you care, that is a LP Classic (no NJM, not for sale )> Boss FW1 Wah >Carl Martin Compressor>TCE VPD1 Pre drive>BBE Sonic Stomp>SIB Varidrive>MXR El Diablo OD>TCE Vintage Delay>EH Holier Grail>Vox MV50>TCE SCF>DTech CabDry VR>DTech Stereo Jamman>Ebtech Hum Eliminator>stereo into the Mixer w/Boss VF-1 and Roland SRV3030 in mixer inserts. 
That's 52 knobs, 4 switches and 11 buttons to tweak before mixer effects. Took me a week to just get rid of the noise. Gonna take a month to get this to sound right, at least. Tempted to plug the VG-8, GT-5 or GT-1 back in. Is there a service where someone comes over and fixes the sound for you ?

I gigged 70 times in 2018 and on pace for about 90 this year with 11 pedals on a board. Use high quality pedals, high quality power supplies, high quality cables, and keep your sh*t maintained and clean and you will not have an issue. One spill of beer or water on a digital multi effect processor and you’re done for the night. Spill on individual high quality pedal and you likely don’t even have an issue, and if u do you’re only down 1 effect.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Mankind's greatest inventions:
Sliced Bread
Bottle Beer
Fulltone OCD
990488292_FulltoneOCD(1).thumb.jpg.8440bf826e03d3a04d5bcc1dfc1bfe67.jpg

Mani just could not fall in love with mine no matter what. I have a Klon clone, KoT, and a Boss Super OD. So far that’s made me the happiest. I used to have a $30 TC Electronics Mojo OD that I also liked a lot better than the OCD.

I’m a garage rocker. You guys should check out a website called “build your own clone” if you are into older guitar pedals. They have the original tone bender, fuzz face, etc. They send you the schematics and all the parts, you just have to build it. My friend built a few and they sound great. 

I run through their Klon clone, the Silver Pony. That pedal is 100% always on for me. Whether it sounds like a Klon, I have no idea. But with gain at like 1 and volume at line level it just adds this beautiful sparkle.

• Upvote 1

Did you run it at 18v? It is like a different pedal, but you need Fulltone's adaptor to avoid the noise

Sorry I just saw this. I did try 18v as well. Being honest to me the pedal just doesn’t sound “unique”. I felt like it was covering up the natural tone of my guitar. Mind you I play with my OD levels at like 2 most of the time at the most when I use them. The Boss is really interesting to me, I wanna hate it but it’s the only one I’ve found that at heavier OD levels still seams to allow the guitar tone through. I like the King of Tone for 95% of what I play with any OD and the Boss for stupid over the top sounds.

I was pretty psyched to get my Electro-Harmonix Super Switcher today. That’s going to make my stage life worlds easier once I figure out the midi.

• Upvote 1

So Harmon, owner of Digitech  got acquired by Samsung and they are discontinuing  the brand. That means the Ditto, Jamman, Stereo, the DDrum, RP360, etc will be no more. Shame that.
Anyone who comes across blowouts  in  this regard please post, They will not last long. 

No kidding??? I have the JamMan 2, I never use it.

Just picked up a 75 musicman hd130 head. Sounds killer, super underrated. I had an hd130 2x12 combo back in the day that i sold and now regret. 
Ive pulled the chassis out and picked up a fender blackface deluxe reverb repo cabinet. Im gonna put it in there as the chassis is 1/8 of an inch smaller. Now im reseaching a single 12 inch to top it off.
Hopefully ill wind up with a nice clean mega headroom sparkly fender like combo thats not too heavy. 
Any speaker suggestions? Ive been listening to lots of shootouts and like the warehouse veteran 30 and c/s stuff

Not sure what music you play, but check out Tone Tubby. Their speakers are out of this world!

Thanks for answering ! Got a list of those 11 pedals?

I put most of the pedals in the picture back on the shelves in their boxes to simplify things. That SIB Varidrive is a nice piece though (as is the currently broken MB V Twin). Not sure if they make it anymore though 

I have a Tom Anderson>Fulltone Clyde>Kelly Nice Compressor>Amptweaker Tight Metal>CE-5>RV-3>Looper>small tube amp set up now that is getting a very nice sound. Probably an accident. It is all about the settings and I am a terrible tweaker.

Next gig a week from now is a party so I'm just bringing a small Boss GT-1 that runs on batteries. Big beer spill risk event and a need for a small footprint. 

FX are great, no? When I first started all you had were a wah, a fuzz and the amp's reverb tank.  

My chain is as follows:

Guitar>

Wampler EGO Comp>

Vox Wah>

Mad Professor SnowWhite Autowah>

Funkzilla Envelop Filter>

Silver Pony Klon Clone>

Analogman King of Tone>

Boss Turbo OD>

Xotic EPBoost>

Ernie Ball Volume>

MXR Phase 90>

EH Octave>

Strymon Timeline

This runs into a Fender Twin Reverb that I split into a head and cab to save my back.

• Upvote 1

So I’ve played I guess about 20 gigs or so with the EH Super Switcher. I love that the midi controls my Strymon Timeline presets for each patch I set, and it was pretty easy to set up. My biggest complaint is the switches are so close to each other. Especially the boost and tap tempo. Countless times when I hit the boost I’ll accidentally hit the tap tempo as well. Problem is if you hit tap tempo only once it essentially turns off the delay since it only had one tap and not a second one to establish the delay interval, so it just goes to a solid light with no delay tempo. I love the functionality otherwise, but I have to play barefoot to not accidentally hit other switches. I guess the designers have really small feet.

The wedding band was made up of 4 guys from a larger party band with 2 divas that one of them met. The divas fired our beloved but not that versatile drummer and brought in a replacement. He had me tossed for being "too jazzy" (whatever that meant). The new bassist had the other two original guys replaced for "not having the right look" (one is older, the other is about 400lbs and scary looking). Goodness knows if the replacements ever got this off the ground. To be honest, playing this type of music would have driven me crazy in short order.
I,000 years ago, as high schoolers,  we had a little thing going for one season with our band playing breaks at Bar Mitzvahs at places like The Galaxie, Leonard's and Carl Hoppels (any of those still exist?). The havah nagala band would do their thing and we would be set up to the side to do "rock and roll for the kids". Since one kid had it, their parents in competition with the previous party had to have it too. Then we ran out of that class and that ended.  Didn't get paid much but you got free food and girls who would not normally even look at you would talk to you.  Plus I got a free yarmulke that I still have. Ah, the good 'ole days. 

I auditioned for and won the job to be in a wedding band 20 years ago. I was 21/22 years old. I showed up to the first gig and was immediately dismissed from the band before walking in. I didn’t realize that the band had to wear tuxes and showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. 🤣

• Haha 2

I was just asked to play in a band a few guys are forming here and after a week of deliberation I declined. I feel like time has passed me by. I was a very good bass player in the day, majored in music, now I don't even own a bass. I own a piano and 2 acoustic guitars.  Would have to buy a bunch of gear etc...  my hearts just not in it.  I really envy you guys if you enjoy it.  A college buddy of mine plays ina British invasion band in Melbourne Fl.  He loves it.  [mention=28812]Snell41[/mention] [mention=32104]The Crimson King[/mention] [mention=29137]HighPitch[/mention]

Moving gear is the only thing I dislike about playing music. I’m in the midst of writing and recording an album along with playing like 1-3 times a week, my gear consists of a Fender Twin and a very heavy Trailer Trash flight case pedalboard. My body is hurting loading that in and out every night. Even worse when we have to provide sound. But playing music is therapy in every sense of the word, what my body pays for physically is made up in spades mentally.

• Like 2

Have you tried a klon clone? Very transparent

Yup, I have a clone that was hand built. That pedal stays on 100% of the time with the gain at about 1. Behind that I run the King of Tone and the Super OD. I’ve been playing more originals lately and opening up the OD levels. The Super OD is great from a compressed heavy OD for solos, the Klon with both sides on has a more bluesy feel.

About the blues jr..... I’ve tried every amp in existence defined a great sounding portable light weight set up that can easily keep up with the band. The blues Junior is a fantastic amp..... super underrated. To get the best sound out of them you need to get a replacement cabinet pine works best plus a new speaker and a few simple mods to the amp itself. I own two. The first is a pine head and cabinet configuration with a vintage 30 Celestion made in England. It sounds superb clean dynamics Touch Sensitive I love it. I have a second blues Junior that I’m doing the same thing too but I have a custom combo cabinet being built it’s going to be red tolex And the size of a fender deluxe reverb with a cannabis Rex speaker. I’ll post pics when I get it but the reason I went with that is because the head and separate cabinet looks great but you lose the ability to just pick it up and go
EA036252-842D-4325-98D4-793C785B415D.thumb.jpeg.d61318fc0530aac52f6cf574f43393b6.jpeg

I hope this pic works, this is my twin in a custom cab I bought raw and sanded/finished.

Wow nice, the two dreadnaught’s are both Taylor 100 series. To the left is a Takamine Classical, an old Yamaha 12 string, the dark one w cutaway on the floor is a Martin X series and the old antique one is a 60’s giannani I had to rebuild. Someday I would love to buy a higher end Taylor or Martin but the one’s I have suit me just fine as I mostly just play for fun. 

ive played a few Seagulls and they always sound so bright and clean. The skinny top neck always seem to make it hard to do anything outside of open chords tho

Is the MartinX series the Koa hpl? If so tell me what you think of it.

No, it’s a GPCX2AE Macassar. I absolutely love it. I’ve heard all the negativity around the HPL back and sides but the dark look originally  caught my eye and don’t care or mind, think the look is killer. There is a muted tone to it but I actually love it as I tend to pluck and pick at home a lot and don’t want to be too loud around the family.   I’ve gone through stages where I’ve spent a ton of time at Guitar Center playing the high end Martin and Taylor’s, so much I’m good friends with two of the sales guys who’ve been there forever, I’ve bought stuff from them, hang out with them and they’ve never minded me spending a lot of time playing around with the 2-3k guitars....where I’m going with this is, playability, it’s amazing, this MartinX plays as easy as any guitar I’ve ever played. Especially if you want to dance up and down the neck playing scales slides/pulls/hammers etc...

If I want to play open chords/rhythm I will always pick up the Taylor. It’s deeper, brighter, more punchy. But if I want to get more jammy with licks and scales the Martin has the easiest neck ever, the action is perfect without any set up needed (at least the one I got) and there’s still a great mid range tone almost as good as the higher ends. Closest guitar I’ve played that’s as easy as playing an electric. 

My one and only concern is I read straight from a supposed luthier in an online review that bc of the HPL back/sides the guitar isn’t built to last. I mean who knows about that. But that would be my only concern. Imo great look, feel, playability off the charts with still a very nice tone.  

I’m so glad you said this, I own one as well. I had a $2500 Taylor, Gibson’s, High end Breedlove before they were even known, but I have never played a guitar that plays as easily as the Martin X and I love the tone of it. Electronics are not the best I admit. As far as it lasting, it’s a $600 guitar. Not really concerned. A solid musician can easily use this live and have it paid off in 1-3 gigs and use it till the wheels fall off. It feels like a working man’s guitar and I love it!

• Like 1

A question for you acoustical folks:
Do you use your acoustics plugged in? If so, direct (DI box?) or through an amp?
Do you use an FX processor or pedal(s)? If so which one(s)?
Do you use a slide? glass or metal?
Do you fingerpick or use a pick? If so what thickness?
I am new to this so any advice would be most educational,. 

My rig is plugged through a Boss ACS Pro 120 amp. I use the reverb on it, that’s all. Has harmony and loop but not great. I run through a JamMan 2 if I want delay or loop. Glass slide, both fingers and pick, 2mm Dunlop Gator.

Had to look up that amp. Nice piece ! Do you use the mic input? Seems like a good amp for harp too.

Yes I do, but I do not use harmony functions at all. I don’t use any of it other than reverb on guitar and mic channels. The amp is very warm and does the job for most acoustic settings. This rig is my weekday “moneymaker”. 2 hours for a couple to a few hundred bucks on a weeknight and I’m home to put the kids to bed.

• Upvote 1

Had to look up that amp. Nice piece ! Do you use the mic input? Seems like a good amp for harp too.

If you were looking for a harp amp, I’d stick to low watt tube amps like a Fender Blues Deluxe.

Goal for 2020 is to make some CD's for giving away purposes. Used to do cassettes (via a Tascam 424 into a Sony mix down and copy deck) and people actually listened to them. Well some people did :). One of the keyboard players in the band that I am quitting next time they call does this with a  new CD every month just using his Korg, the sequencer and a four track. Actually comes out good and I look forward to them. 
Kinda outdated stuff but here's the home studio:
Controller:
Roland FA-08 w/ expansion downloaded and all sorts of data cards left over from the old JV-1000. Includes a very useful sequencer and looper.
Modules:
Akai 2800 sampler hooked up to a Glyph CD ROM with about 50 CD's of sounds, pads, patches, drum patterns, instruments etc. Got addicted to these. Fav was the Distorted Reality I and II and Pinder's Mellotron CD.
Korg X5DR, Kurzweil piano, Yamaha P50, Roland JV-1080, Roland SH-32
Board:
Mackie 16 track with dbx 166A, Roland SRV3030, Boss VF-1 and a Behringer Ultra Gain Pro in the inserts and such. Samson amp and JBL monitors through two of the outs. Other two to whatever else.
Other fun toys included a DIgitech harmony workstation and a Boss VT-1 for vocals and of course BBE sonic maximizers here and there
Some how all this should be used to record backing tracks into an 8 track Tascam DP01/FX/CD for the purpose of recording guitar tracks
Guitars (about 25 of them, some nice, some cheapos) to be played through the rack thing described earlier in this thread and any number of combinations of pedals (well over 100 of those by now) and multi fx (also way too many of those). Additional fun is the Roland Ready Strat to play through a VG-8EX and a GT-1 
Also will use electric violin (Fender FV-1), and harp (Lone Wolf effects). Wife wants me to play the sax again (last time I played, Namath was a rookie) to stick it to a certain individual (long story). Also people keep giving me gifts of instruments that I will never use like harmoniums and ukes. 
There is also an old ARP Axxe from the band days of the 70-80's but the Rolands cover that so much better that it just collects dust. 
I do have an extra lap top and Abelon so that should work itself in eventually but the sequencer on the FA-08 is pretty good to start off at least learning the recording device.
Not having kids, Mrs. Crimson let me take over the spare bedroom which is now chock full. Too bad the talent level doesn't match the volume of toys :). Problem is that every time I go in there to learn the recording device, I just end up making a few sequences or loops to jam over and lose a few hours. 
So what do you more modern folks use for home studios these days?

This is spectacular on so many levels! I used to have a Tascam tape 4 track. I’d give anything to ever find and listen to those. These days I use Pro Tools on my laptop, and a simple Scarlett interface, 6 inputs. My keyboard player’s living room is an entire studio. Drums, amps, mics, etc all wired in the walls it’a amazing. Generally I write and record songs acoustically at my house, then the band will full record at his studio.

• Upvote 1

Anyone selling a Les Paul (standard or traditional) with a 60's tapered neck?

You should be able to find that on reverb.com pretty easily.

NAMM 2020: MXR launches this year’s must-have overdrive pedal as it partners with Paul Cochrane for a mini Timmy

By Michael Astley-Brown 8 hours ago

Affordable version of highly respected overdrive boasts clipping switch

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
vyoCjvvtDVetAyufdboJbh-970-80.jpg&key=094c7b220dfd6c887d372d5c1a545f38c9fc8e81efc6f2222b2a05220340357c (Image credit: Jim Dunlop)

NAMM 2020: Paul Cochrane’s Timmy has garnered a reputation for being one of the best overdrive pedals on the market, offering a transparent overdrive that keeps your original guitar and amp tone in check, but there’s always been one problem: Cochrane builds the pedals one by one, leading to lengthy waitlists and high used prices.

MXR has now set out to address that scarcity by partnering with the builder for the Timmy Overdrive mini pedal, which also seeks to put a dent in mini-pedal clones of the original design.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Never played with a  Timmy but they have quite a reputation. Dunlop is doing cool stuff with MXR. I wish they would stop I have run out of room on the shelves

I’m a pedal snob admittedly and can’t see how this would be quite as good as the real Timmy, but if there’s a large pedal company I’d have to guess would come close it’s MXR.

• Upvote 1

Not a NAMM thing but I was looking at this this AM. 

Anyone familiar with Analogman's King of Tone? Anyone play one?

It's an OD pedal that is supposed to be amazing but I don't know if it is just a glorified Tube Screamer or the long wait list just makes it that much mkotoptionsedited.jpg&key=143b07268d891fe87bd6c13ad4e45aecd97d9f8285c05fedd48974832176c2c1ore desirable. The ones shipping today are for folks who put their name on the waiting list in April 2017. 

I play through one, the left side is very Klon-ish. Not to be set very high in gain. Right side def takes its cue from the Tube Screamer but not nearly as noisy or compressed in my opinion. I run a Klon Silver Pony clone>King of Tone>Boss Super OD.

Klon clone is always one. Only left side of KoT is my subtle OD, just a little break up. Both side KoT o is my raw blues tone. Boss is for really right compressed high gain/sustain leads.

I never stack the Boss with the KoT, they don’t play nicely together.

• Like 1

Verrrrrry nice. So what's your whole pedal chain?
Did you build the Klone yourself? 

I run all my pedals through a EHX Super Switcher, but essentially it’s as follows:

Wampler Ego
Vox Wah
Mad Professor Snow White
SolidGoldfx Funkzilla
Silver Pony Klon Clone (hand built by Alchemy Audio)
Analogman KoT
Boss Super OD (built in late 80’s)
EHX Pog
MXR Phase 95 mini
Strymon Timeline

Will be adding a Strymon Lex as well.

• Like 1

Geez, nice setup. Great taste in brands, if you don't mind me saying. 
Phase 95 has the switch between 90 and 45 right? Wish I got that instead of a 90. Set it on 45 at the end of the chain right?
Must look great all together on the pedalboard

Yes, Phase 95 switches between the two. It has a lot of versatility for that type of effect. I have it on a Trailer Trash flight case board. Heavy as hell but simple to setup.

• Upvote 1

PRS made 1,000 of these. It's an SE Custom 24, normally about $500 going for $750. It's called the Schizoid Edition or something like that.
148173203_SkizoidPRSSECustom24.jpg.63679ff340a817e5bbcfdac4f7cd111c.jpg 

We were in our local store this evening for setup and repair on something when the wife saw this and went nuts. She has been insisting all evening that I buy this. There's something about the paint job that kinda looks familiar .
Two problems, however, it's essentially PRS's Epiphone to their Gibson (hence the price) made in Korea instead of MD and you are paying $250 for paint (that's 1-2 pedal money).
Still, I hear that the SE's are a great buy. Anyone ever play one?
Meanwhile, this week's toy currently on UPS  truck somewhere:
Buffer.thumb.jpg.82a5e39be2ef42214b07bb1c0e656a8c.jpg

I’ve never been one for a tribute guitar. Like the Zach Wylde bullseye Gibson, or the countless Jerry Garcia cline guitars. As for the SE version, I can’t answer specifically but I will say this- cheap version guitars are really hit or miss, but you can get a great guitar now and again. I had an Epiphone Sheraton II. It was stellar to play. I mean pure butter. The electronics were wired carelessly, but it plays like a dream and had great tone. I saw another in a store and played it for nostalgia’s sake and it was hot garbage. I mean awful tone, awful playability, just garbage. I have a Martin XD series acoustic, made in either China or Korea I forget. It’s unreal to me how easy it is to play, and frankly I love the tone of it. Price to value I place it up against high end guitars any day. That said I’ve heard people talk about them like they’re pure trash and chances are the ones they played were. Gist of my point, if you’re looking for a bargain guitar, play the sh*t out of it before you buy it.

• Upvote 1

All fun and kidding aside, this pandemic is destroying the livelihood of local working musicians. Besides not having work, the live feed fad went from paying decent to now paying nothing, I’m convinced many of the venues are going to be gone once the world reopens. Most musicians I know, including me, are already a little ****ed in the head. I just hope to god we don’t start losing our local talent to the disease or despair,

• Upvote 2

fun time killer
http://pedalboardplanner.com/
see if you can fill up on of the big ones

I have a flight case board that breaks my back for gigs. This will sound nuts, I genuinely wish I could carry it right now to a gig. I’d never complain about carrying it again.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just picked up the New Pod go. $449. A mini Helix system which for me makes sense because Im a minimalist.
So, stayed with Line 6 simply because NO ONE has a good envelope filter for jerry garcia type vibe and for funk. I knew the reverbs, delays and mods were going to be fine but what surprised me was the overdrive. I use a ts808 and a klon and both sound really good. Not fuzzy and digital but quite analog.

Its a keeper!
download.jpeg.ca5f787467ec9660ed95ebd3992de70b.jpeg

Trust me, there’s a great pedal for the Jerry filter.

Ive used the kangra . OK
EHX q tron. OK.
earthquake devices. Awful.
head rush. Awful.
no jerry type envelope sounds anywhere as good to me as the one on my old line 6 xt live. Doesnt matter what guitar or where you are on the fretboard. Always consistent and quacky.
my buddy has a nice one on his fractal, but thats a fortune.
im sure the mutron reissue is prettty good but its pricey

Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah. The thing is perfect, quacks on the entire spectrum of the fretboard, works with single coil and humbucker just as well. Only drawback is you can’t get the reverse EF that Jerry used on the old school Dancin In The Streets versions, but otherwise the pedal is outrageous. I have played through probably 8 or 9 different ones professionally and by far the Snow White is the best.

Heard this was an excellent piece. 68 Pedals makes a specific clone called Snow White (not sure how they get away with that) for $70 (MP is $195 or so, right?) but it doesn't have the guit/bass switch and it is made in China so not the MO quality but for $70 ...
Funny this came up. I started a sperate chain for the Strat and pulled the QTron off the pedal graveyard shelves, Couldn't get anything musical out of it at all.
In other news ... 
Keep an eye on the Harmanaudio website as they blow out their DOD stock. Rumor has it that they are dropping effects. The Phasor 401 is on there now for $45. They had similar deals with the compressor, booster and the 250 preamp. Not sure if they will do this with DIgitech also but it would be nice to get a whammy or another Jamman stereo on the cheap.  Also, ProAudioStar still has the Rubberneck delay for $120 and it is a lot of fun to fool around with.
Meanwhile, what's on the Gotta Have list today?  

My wishlist top “gotta have” pedal is the Strymon Lex. I used to own one and sold it, I want to kick myself for that.

• Upvote 1

I’ve been doing a lot of recording lately and just wanted to point out, there may not be a better amp on the planet than the Fender Deluxe Reverb. The clean sparkle is amazing, and it takes overdrive pedals so beautifully. Just a magnificent amp.

• Upvote 2

new toy coming next week 
not sure how useful it will be but it was cheap on SDOTD. Wife says that I would buy feces it was half price on a sale. Well you never know when you could use some feces. 
anyone with any advice?

Mothership2.png.88dd43963b12f5bc9ebb0cc111ac6899.png

Advice? Smoke weed. Lots of it. Then play really cool riffs while twisting knobs in all sorts of random combinations of fun until you find it sounds like a gorilla wet farting into an electrified fence. That’s the brown sound 🤣.

All seriousness you should just explore sounds in it, see what u like. And smoke weed.

• Like 1

Little off topic... but for you guys who play guitar, where would you rank the difficulty of this piece. I would call it upper intermediate-low advanced.
[mention=28812]Snell41[/mention] [mention=32104]The Crimson King[/mention] [mention=28492]munchmemory[/mention][mention=29137]HighPitch[/mention]
[/url]  

Being truthful I could probably figure out the song quickly but that does not take anything away from the quality or beauty of the piece. I think you ranked it properly. Great song, as a songwriter I could only imagine the joy of watching your child from the heavens as he/she plays and sings a song you wrote.

• Upvote 1