The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

The Crimson King

2 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Didn't want to start another sparsely attended music thread but I have been asked to sink to the low of lows ,,,, join a wedding band.

One of the guys that I play with from time to time met these two girls who have been singing in clubs (they are both GREAT vocalists, hot as heck and way younger than us) who are tired of not making any money in the local clubs (so little of those gigs around here these days and they pay next to nothing). Now I haven't been to many weddings on recent days but from what I did see the standard are DJ "bands" that played dance hits on a PC and had members that were there to "enable" the crowd. Do bands actually get jobs?

Assuming this is doable and could be marketed on the basis of the singers (they are both that good), this could be interesting

Bad news is that I would figure on no fusion, prog rock, hard rock, blues or jazz so no guitar or synth or even harp for me. To cut down on the number of members, they want me to play bass. This could be a blast and probably somewhat easier, just bass and amp, no FX (got an old Fender Jazz to dust off), songs not pieces, etc. No pressure. 

So the question is, what are the standard songs one needs these days? I would guess that the Moon River and Hava Nageela of the old days have thankfully passed into obscurity and that the catalog needs to be constantly updated.

Sounds worth a try just for the giggles (and maybe really get paid for this?).

Any advice? Information? Insight? Jokes?   

I have no advice on the music per se BUT for me personally, my free time is so valuable, I couldn't/wouldn't do it.  There is a band that plays around Charlotte that is a bunch of guys(4) playing Tom Petty, Eagles, Steely Dan  and a ton of 60's to 80's music.  They are very talented and were telling me on some nights they only get $300-400.  Just sounds like a LOT of work to play say 2X a week and split say $500-$1,000 between 4 to 6 people.

I joined a band about 5 years ago to give it a try. Lasted about 9 months.  4 professionals, different tastes, schedules etc. Drummer had a huge ego and wouldn't rehearse certain days and said you guys get up to speed with me etc. 

That experience brought back all the BAD memories of playing and made me FULLY appreciate how a band like RUSH can stay together so long.

9 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I would way rather get involved with a great, interesting original project with like minded dudes, but they are hard to find. Too bad you didnt live in tampa we could rock some prog fusion originals

You play guitar mainly?  

20 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Easy to do if you move to NY with the added attraction of being able to get Jets season tickets. Plenty of PSL's still available.

WInters are mild here and real estate is cheap (well compared to Anchorage and Malibu, respectively)

Just in case this works out for ya....  ;)  These books were my passion in college along with the Simandl book which all classical bass players use.

aaa.jpg

51Qxw-X8EhL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

HIRED GUN.....  Any body catch this on Netflix?  As a bass player in college, I would show up to gigs with basically ONE one hour rehearsal before hand and met some of the musicians that night.  Played an upright in a standard "fakebook" jazz setting. Would bring my Fender precision along for some pop tunes BUT this movie brought back a lot of memories.

swse.thumb.png.47a565ca29edee7a2229018682b8eeea.png

https://www.netflix.com/title/80106507

swse.png

frg.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I’ve seen that before and it’s totally totally amazing with this guy can do. Not to bash him but just out of musicianship and being interesting, I’ve met a whole bunch of super freaking talented people in my life and played with them and found a lot of quirks among them. For example I don’t know anything about this particular guy but it is possible that if you got into a band with him he would have absolutely zero Ability to improvise. He may also have absolutely zero ability to write even the simplest original roof for a song. Again I’m not bashing him and I’m totally amazed by what he did and I cannot do it personally but it’s possible that he’s a total zero in other areas which I never will understand

Believe me I know first hand exactly what you are saying.   Musicians can be the weirdest people. egos etc.  I played with a guy once in college, a Beatles  Maniac.  Excellent musician but each part had to be played exactly like the Beatles did it.  I was playing bass, went through the chord changes and he stopped and said..no, McCartmey does a little 1 /5 feel there.    We only played that once.  His musical career went no where as he could not play with anyone. 

On 10/15/2019 at 7:44 PM, Snell41 said:

I auditioned for and won the job to be in a wedding band 20 years ago. I was 21/22 years old. I showed up to the first gig and was immediately dismissed from the band before walking in. I didn’t realize that the band had to wear tuxes and showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I once lost my bow tie when I played in orchestra in college and we pinned a put a black sock  to my shirt. I played bass and was way in the back...   no one would see.   You should have joined "The good ole boys:.  Get the reference?  You might be too young.

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

It's time for all that "Black Friday/Cyber Monday/you need to buy this now because these discounts will never come again" silliness

Anyone see anything cool (like huge discounts on Beat Buddy or 80% off PRS') please let the rest of us know.

So far, I see a 10% discount on all Lone Wolf Blues Co.  products. Amazing harp effects pedals amps and such. Other than Memphis Blues delay pedal I don't think anyone else makes products for harp and these really make a significant difference

I was just asked to play in a band a few guys are forming here and after a week of deliberation I declined. I feel like time has passed me by. I was a very good bass player in the day, majored in music, now I don't even own a bass. I own a piano and 2 acoustic guitars.  Would have to buy a bunch of gear etc...  my hearts just not in it.  I really envy you guys if you enjoy it.  A college buddy of mine plays ina British invasion band in Melbourne Fl.  He loves it.  @Snell41 @The Crimson King @HighPitch

22 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Moving gear is the only thing I dislike about playing music. I’m in the midst of writing and recording an album along with playing like 1-3 times a week, my gear consists of a Fender Twin and a very heavy Trailer Trash flight case pedalboard. My body is hurting loading that in and out every night. Even worse when we have to provide sound. But playing music is therapy in every sense of the word, what my body pays for physically is made up in spades mentally.

I played in a jazz duet for a few years with a guitar player and a trio with drums and piano. try carrying around a full size upright bass.  🤣

On 12/3/2019 at 8:03 PM, HessStation said:

64CC8976-A1A2-413C-860D-58B022A658EC.jpeg

Any Taylors in the group?  I own an Taylor 810, a Furch (Top European guitar) and a Seagull.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Wow nice, the two dreadnaught’s are both Taylor 100 series. To the left is a Takamine Classical, an old Yamaha 12 string, the dark one w cutaway on the floor is a Martin X series and the old antique one is a 60’s giannani I had to rebuild. Someday I would love to buy a higher end Taylor or Martin but the one’s I have suit me just fine as I mostly just play for fun. 

ive played a few Seagulls and they always sound so bright and clean. The skinny top neck always seem to make it hard to do anything outside of open chords tho

My Seagull was an impulse purchase in Charleston at a pawn shop. Think I paid $250 for a $500 guitar.  I wanted to have a guitar for the beach etc. But the Taylor 810 I bought in 95 and still sounds like new, maybe better. Love it. Nice collection you have!

33 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

All fun and kidding aside, this pandemic is destroying the livelihood of local working musicians. Besides not having work, the live feed fad went from paying decent to now paying nothing, I’m convinced many of the venues are going to be gone once the world reopens. Most musicians I know, including me, are already a little ****ed in the head. I just hope to god we don’t start losing our local talent to the disease or despair,

My GF and I workout at different gyms and enjoy it. We were commenting how many people , after coping with this and working out outside etc... will go back to paying $100 a month etc.    Many businesses will be altered or disappear.  One of my bussiens owns a Karate school, he will go under IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

You'd need to school me on all the new effects pedals like that Evantide.  Looks very cool from my uneducated perspective.

LOL on the Marl...  And good eye spotting that PRS.

I've bought several guitars, ukes, strings, cases and a bunch of other stuff from Sweetwater.  Superlative service (no issue with any returns, etc.) and willing to beat anyone's price.  The person I deal with is Tom, who could not be more knowledgeable as well as a great human being.  

4 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

plus if you ever fall into a huge pile of cash and want to build a major league home studio, they will bring everything to your home, set it all up and instruct you on how to use everything, You just have to pay for the equipment plus the tech's airfare and lodging. I kid you not. (C'mon Powerball)  

I’m with munch.  Time  has passed me by.  never used effects much and most of my bass playing professionally was jazz with my upright or fender precision.  I wouldn’t know what amp to use let alone gadgets if I were to play again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I'll offer up my hack talent as your rhythm guitar player.   

Your modesty doesn't sell here....  im sure your quite accomplished.  Ive been playing my acoustic guitar on the balcany (live in a condo)  and the neighbors all think Im an accomplished player.   little do they know.   I was playing Norweigan wood and someone from above applauded and asked if I took requests.  Couldn't see him, just heard him.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

My 3 acoustic Guitars...  Taylor 810, 1997

Furch   Dreadnought. Boght from a Guiatr player in Nasheville who is currently in Lone Canyon Rangers with Steve martin

My Seagull that I bought at a pawn shop for $300 in Charleston

17992132_10212673758987290_5057230658999749621_n.jpg.d86fbee2f357ca2f7abbed07e10911e7.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/5/2020 at 11:13 AM, JiF said:

Should I slow down learning songs and go back to just practicing chords/barre/scales, etc?  

I like what I am hearing from you.   Just stay the course.  I was a music major in another life.. played upright classical bass but took up guitar at 17 or so simply to play.  My experience was very similar.  

Bar Chords can be a bitch at first but you'll get it. Trust me.

Try playing easy songs as a reward to yourself. 

Lucky Man, ELP is the easiest tune to play.  3 open chords

"Thank you" Zeppelin comes to mind as does Tequilla Sunrise and Take it Easy by the Eagles.  All three are basically in open chords with some "barring".

Curious.. How's your theory?  Example.. You know the difference between a C major and a C minor?  What makes a C-7 different than a C major?

It's fascinating stuff.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiF said:

This is awesome.  You're the man.  Truly appreciate it. 

This is a GREAT tune, 4 simple open chords.  The chord changes are used in a million different tunes.

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thanks!  I've actually got that one down, I've got a bunch that are similar chord progression songs that I feel I'm pretty good at so I've tried a little tricky ones....To give you a better idea of where I've advance to now which has some intro's and barre chords as well.

:Right now I'm working on:

Here comes your man - Pixies.  I've got the whole song down, just need to perfect (Redemption Song is similar with an intro and chords)

KarmaPolice - Radiohead.  I've got the intro down, its the barre transition after the intro I'm struggling with.

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd.   I've got it, it's just sloppy.

Heaven - Talking Heads.  Same.  I got it, just sloppy.  

That’s pretty good for a few weeks....       I went in another direction. I play a ton of Beatles, Paul Simon, Croce etc.    It’s fun.....      

On 8/18/2020 at 10:14 AM, Warmbrother said:

I have traded a set of qsc loudspeaker for a BEAUTIful limited edition 2008 Taylor 426ce in mint shape with case. All tasmanian blackwood. I only traded because everyone is broke due to covid and I cant put the qsc's on reverb or ebay because they are too heavy to ship. The guitar? I can ship that. So if anyone is interested....Ive done my research. it was $2100 new in 2008 and Ive seen em sell for 1600-1800 Ill take $1500 and free shipping to my jet friends let me know

taylor.jpg

Love it!!!!  Beautiful guitar.  I bought a Taylor 810 in 1996 for about $1,800.  Was double what I expected to pat for a nice guitar to replace my Takamine.  Well, almost 25 years later and it sounds better than ever.  Encourage you to join the Taylor Guitar owners group on FB, Welcome to the club!.