The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

On 8/5/2020 at 11:13 AM, JiF said:

Should I slow down learning songs and go back to just practicing chords/barre/scales, etc?  

I like what I am hearing from you.   Just stay the course.  I was a music major in another life.. played upright classical bass but took up guitar at 17 or so simply to play.  My experience was very similar.  

Bar Chords can be a bitch at first but you'll get it. Trust me.

Try playing easy songs as a reward to yourself. 

Lucky Man, ELP is the easiest tune to play.  3 open chords

"Thank you" Zeppelin comes to mind as does Tequilla Sunrise and Take it Easy by the Eagles.  All three are basically in open chords with some "barring".

Curious.. How's your theory?  Example.. You know the difference between a C major and a C minor?  What makes a C-7 different than a C major?

It's fascinating stuff.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JiF said:

Amp

Soooo ….

Since this is the GAS thread (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) dedicated to the proposition that your hard earned cash needs to be redirected from your pocket to musical equipment purveyors …

To help do this the following websites will help make those dollars fly away from you faster than a receiver from Trumaine Johnson

The Gear Page:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

This is the Jets Nation of gear. Research any instrument, piece of equipment or operating method. Ask questions, search subjects. A critcal tool for beginners and pros alike, Does not contain whining about coaches or Pro Bowl safeties.  

Reverb.com

https://reverb.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2069823324&utm_content=campaignid=2069823324_adgroupid=82022253811_keyword=reverb music_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=e_creative=373039183375&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInr212faW6wIVw9SzCh2dsgk6EAAYASAAEgLZovD_BwE

A rule of thumb is buy any device on the cheap first, then if you like what it does, go high end for the unit you will use permanently as you get better. Otherwise you end up with too many pieces that do the same thing as you keep stepping up a level. A good way is to buy used is Reverb, the biggest site for that.

Ultimate Guitar

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

I’m giving you this again as a great way to learn those chords as each song has the chord layout included.

Ok, now to spend a wee bit of cash. Admittedly the wee bit gets you hooked until the bit is not quite as wee anymore.

Looper

A looper pedal could be useful.

These are essentially digital phrase recorders. Usually a very simple operation in the form of an effects pedal, you stomp the switch to start playing a series of chords or riffs and stomp to stop recording. The pedal will play that over and over until you stomp once more to stop. You would also have the option to overdub more parts and instruments.

Playing along gives you practice with keeping time and playing with someone else. It also allows you the opportunity to tell the wife, “I’m going upstairs to play with myself for awhile”. That will get you started. When you are ready for leads and practicing those scales, a looper will get you there. You record the backing track and play the lead over it. Great fun.  

There are several aspects to consider:

1.      PRICE: These go from $50 to $500. Obviously all you need now is an inexpensive one. The Donner Beltway goes for $46. Reverb has pedals even cheaper used.

2.      LENGTH OF RECORDING: These are different lengths that different units allow. Some are annoyingly short (like the TCE Ditto), some are easy to do long pieces on. Beware of the short loop allowance.

3.      MEMORY: Most pedals save the last recording when you turn it off. Many save several songs and some you can save more than an entire gig of backing tracks. Your second looper after you try the inexpensive one will need to be loaded with memory for future use. It will be helpful with solo gigs or open mics.

4.      BATTERY or PLUG?: Battery operated units are useful for playing out but that limits the field a bit on the higher end

5.      DRUMS: Many of these units now have drum tracks. Good for practice and playing for friends or fortune

Multi Effects:

These units often include a looper plus are a good way to discover what effects do. Again some units have allowances that are way too short. We’ll deal with effects at a later date but I brought this up because Zoom makes a nice inexpensive multi effect unit for acoustic, the A1four. It also has a drum machine that you can use concurrently.

Some Units:

Donner Beltway $46. 10 minute recording, ½ speed recording and playback, a good beginner unit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0832X7TT5/ref=as_li_ss_tl?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0832X7TT5&pd_rd_w=RMZT9&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=m7Orp&pf_rd_r=TR3S8EF1NWKQT28HTJ1Q&pd_rd_r=41610a53-c7de-4212-ac7d-3113e7652e67&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFJVzRNUjZIVTdBNlEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMTgwNTUyMVhYUVhGTFNZUFlDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNzUyNTYyRkpPNUlZV0JEWlFGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==&linkCode=sl1&tag=randallheavy-20&linkId=0dd74984c7583eddd3b49d814a0b5af0&language=en_US

Boss RC-1 $100, good quality and the beginning of the 150 Boss pedals you will eventually buy. Saves last song recorded

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0832X7TT5/ref=as_li_ss_tl?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0832X7TT5&pd_rd_w=RMZT9&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=m7Orp&pf_rd_r=TR3S8EF1NWKQT28HTJ1Q&pd_rd_r=41610a53-c7de-4212-ac7d-3113e7652e67&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFJVzRNUjZIVTdBNlEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMTgwNTUyMVhYUVhGTFNZUFlDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNzUyNTYyRkpPNUlZV0JEWlFGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==&linkCode=sl1&tag=randallheavy-20&linkId=0dd74984c7583eddd3b49d814a0b5af0&language=en_US

Boss RC-3 $200, next step up from the RC-1, you can store and keep 99 loops/songs/pieces. You can also import backing tracks from the Boss website

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-RC-3-Station-Pedal/dp/B004J27QXY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=SOJDFUJURYW5&dchild=1&keywords=boss+rc-3+loop+station&qid=1597281053&sprefix=Boss+Rc-3%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-6

Boss RC-10r $300, newest offering, this one incudes a great drum machine.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Rhythm-Loop-Station-RC-10R/dp/B07W5RNNB9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Q7MU1YA6BCCR&dchild=1&keywords=boss+rc-10r&qid=1597281107&sprefix=boss+rc-10%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-3

and the aforementioned muti FX, $130

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-A1-Instrument-Multi-Effects-Processor/dp/B07YGQVXYS

Well the last few loopers are a bit much to start with but these are the entry level units. They go up from there. My fav? The Digitech Jamman, which I can hook up to my little studio and do full backing tracks and save 16 hours of loops on an SD card. Unfortunately Digitech is going away and there product is gettng hard to find. I also use the RC-3 when playing open mics because it holds 99 loops and runs on batteries. I use a TCE Ditto on my harp board just to test out sounds and annoy my bandmates.

I hope this helps in some way and that others here add to or correct the above for posterity if nothing else.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I like what I am hearing from you.   Just stay the course.  I was a music major in another life.. played upright classical bass but took up guitar at 17 or so simply to play.  My experience was very similar.  

Bar Chords can be a bitch at first but you'll get it. Trust me.

Try playing easy songs as a reward to yourself. 

Lucky Man, ELP is the easiest tune to play.  3 open chords

"Thank you" Zeppelin comes to mind as does Tequilla Sunrise and Take it Easy by the Eagles.  All three are basically in open chords with some "barring".

Curious.. How's your theory?  Example.. You know the difference between a C major and a C minor?  What makes a C-7 different than a C major?

It's fascinating stuff.

ok, cool  thanks,

And to your question; no clue.  lol.  I picked up a guitar 3 weeks ago and I know nothing about music.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Soooo ….

Since this is the GAS thread (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) dedicated to the proposition that your hard earned cash needs to be redirected from your pocket to musical equipment purveyors …

To help do this the following websites will help make those dollars fly away from you faster than a receiver from Trumaine Johnson

The Gear Page:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

This is the Jets Nation of gear. Research any instrument, piece of equipment or operating method. Ask questions, search subjects. A critcal tool for beginners and pros alike, Does not contain whining about coaches or Pro Bowl safeties.  

Reverb.com

https://reverb.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2069823324&utm_content=campaignid=2069823324_adgroupid=82022253811_keyword=reverb music_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=e_creative=373039183375&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInr212faW6wIVw9SzCh2dsgk6EAAYASAAEgLZovD_BwE

A rule of thumb is buy any device on the cheap first, then if you like what it does, go high end for the unit you will use permanently as you get better. Otherwise you end up with too many pieces that do the same thing as you keep stepping up a level. A good way is to buy used is Reverb, the biggest site for that.

Ultimate Guitar

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

I’m giving you this again as a great way to learn those chords as each song has the chord layout included.

Ok, now to spend a wee bit of cash. Admittedly the wee bit gets you hooked until the bit is not quite as wee anymore.

Looper

A looper pedal could be useful.

These are essentially digital phrase recorders. Usually a very simple operation in the form of an effects pedal, you stomp the switch to start playing a series of chords or riffs and stomp to stop recording. The pedal will play that over and over until you stomp once more to stop. You would also have the option to overdub more parts and instruments.

Playing along gives you practice with keeping time and playing with someone else. It also allows you the opportunity to tell the wife, “I’m going upstairs to play with myself for awhile”. That will get you started. When you are ready for leads and practicing those scales, a looper will get you there. You record the backing track and play the lead over it. Great fun.  

There are several aspects to consider:

1.      PRICE: These go from $50 to $500. Obviously all you need now is an inexpensive one. The Donner Beltway goes for $46. Reverb has pedals even cheaper used.

2.      LENGTH OF RECORDING: These are different lengths that different units allow. Some are annoyingly short (like the TCE Ditto), some are easy to do long pieces on. Beware of the short loop allowance.

3.      MEMORY: Most pedals save the last recording when you turn it off. Many save several songs and some you can save more than an entire gig of backing tracks. Your second looper after you try the inexpensive one will need to be loaded with memory for future use. It will be helpful with solo gigs or open mics.

4.      BATTERY or PLUG?: Battery operated units are useful for playing out but that limits the field a bit on the higher end

5.      DRUMS: Many of these units now have drum tracks. Good for practice and playing for friends or fortune

Multi Effects:

These units often include a looper plus are a good way to discover what effects do. Again some units have allowances that are way too short. We’ll deal with effects at a later date but I brought this up because Zoom makes a nice inexpensive multi effect unit for acoustic, the A1four. It also has a drum machine that you can use concurrently.

Some Units:

Donner Beltway $46. 10 minute recording, ½ speed recording and playback, a good beginner unit

Boss RC-1 $100, good quality and the beginning of the 150 Boss pedals you will eventually buy. Saves last song recorded

Boss RC-3 $200, next step up from the RC-1, you can store and keep 99 loops/songs/pieces. You can also import backing tracks from the Boss website

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-RC-3-Station-Pedal/dp/B004J27QXY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=SOJDFUJURYW5&dchild=1&keywords=boss+rc-3+loop+station&qid=1597281053&sprefix=Boss+Rc-3%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-6

Boss RC-10r $300, newest offering, this one incudes a great drum machine.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Rhythm-Loop-Station-RC-10R/dp/B07W5RNNB9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Q7MU1YA6BCCR&dchild=1&keywords=boss+rc-10r&qid=1597281107&sprefix=boss+rc-10%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-3

and the aforementioned muti FX, $130

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-A1-Instrument-Multi-Effects-Processor/dp/B07YGQVXYS

Well the last few loopers are a bit much to start with but these are the entry level units. They go up from there. My fav? The Digitech Jamman, which I can hook up to my little studio and do full backing tracks and save 16 hours of loops on an SD card. Unfortunately Digitech is going away and there product is gettng hard to find. I also use the RC-3 when playing open mics because it holds 99 loops and runs on batteries. I use a TCE Ditto on my harp board just to test out sounds and annoy my bandmates.

I hope this helps in some way and that others here add to or correct the above for posterity if nothing else.

This is awesome.  You're the man.  Truly appreciate it. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

This is a GREAT tune, 4 simple open chords.  The chord changes are used in a million different tunes.

Thanks!  I've actually got that one down, I've got a bunch that are similar chord progression songs that I feel I'm pretty good at so I've tried a little tricky ones....To give you a better idea of where I've advance to now which has some intro's and barre chords as well.

:Right now I'm working on:

Here comes your man - Pixies.  I've got the whole song down, just need to perfect (Redemption Song is similar with an intro and chords)

KarmaPolice - Radiohead.  I've got the intro down, its the barre transition after the intro I'm struggling with.

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd.   I've got it, it's just sloppy.

Heaven - Talking Heads.  Same.  I got it, just sloppy.  

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thanks!  I've actually got that one down, I've got a bunch that are similar chord progression songs that I feel I'm pretty good at so I've tried a little tricky ones....To give you a better idea of where I've advance to now which has some intro's and barre chords as well.

Here comes your man - Pixies.  I've got the whole song down, just need to perfect (Redemption Song is similar with an intro and chords)

KarmaPolice - Radiohead.  I've got the intro down, its the barre transition after the intro I'm struggling with.

That’s pretty good for a few weeks....       I went in another direction. I play a ton of Beatles, Paul Simon, Croce etc.    It’s fun.....      

This will make Crimson call Howe a dirty heathen.  lol

Yes guitarist Steve Howe recently sat down for a chat with Guitar World.

The wide-ranging conversation touched on topics ranging from his first band, to his time with Yes, to his massive, mouth-watering vintage guitar collection. However, it was Howe's comments about pedals, and his love of Line 6's Helix multi-effects unit, that were the most eyebrow-raising. 

“I’ve got some great, great guitars, but what I don’t use now are endless arrays of pedals," Howe said. "I mean, I did the pedalboard thing pretty early on. A lot of people sussed that if you stuck them on a ’board, you didn’t have to set it up every day, they wouldn’t break or fall apart so easily, and you wouldn’t stumble over them. 

"I had pedalboards like that for years and years, but now I don’t. It’s just passé to me. These days, my gear is incredibly streamlined. I like to press one button and radically change my sound. I just press a button and it all happens at once. That is heaven, you know. 

"Performing is all about preparation. It took me a while to get into programming, but the [Line 6] Helix can do everything I can possibly want and, therefore, that’s all I want to use." 

Howe also made a point to mention that, in his view, gear is far from the most important aspect of a guitarist's sound in the studio.

“I’ve had so many [pedals] over the years: Big Muffs, Boomerang pedals, different sorts of wah-wahs and stuff from Maestro.

"Most of the stuff I’ve forgotten about, but I have it somewhere, or remnants of it. But the thing people often miss is - and this is important - is that it’s not just about your guitarist, their guitar, the pedals, the amp, the microphone... It’s also about the recording engineer who knows how to record a guitar. 

"So I give credit where it’s due, because there’s a lot more to sound. There’s a myriad of different things. The first thing is who’s playing it and what that person thinks while he’s planning to play something. It goes down that long chain and it ends up with a recording engineer sitting in a studio.”

https://www.guitarplayer.com/news/steve-howe-why-i-ditched-my-pedals-for-the-line-6-helix

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, munchmemory said:

This will make Crimson call Howe a dirty heathen.  lol

Yes guitarist Steve Howe recently sat down for a chat with Guitar World.

The wide-ranging conversation touched on topics ranging from his first band, to his time with Yes, to his massive, mouth-watering vintage guitar collection. However, it was Howe's comments about pedals, and his love of Line 6's Helix multi-effects unit, that were the most eyebrow-raising. 

“I’ve got some great, great guitars, but what I don’t use now are endless arrays of pedals," Howe said. "I mean, I did the pedalboard thing pretty early on. A lot of people sussed that if you stuck them on a ’board, you didn’t have to set it up every day, they wouldn’t break or fall apart so easily, and you wouldn’t stumble over them. 

"I had pedalboards like that for years and years, but now I don’t. It’s just passé to me. These days, my gear is incredibly streamlined. I like to press one button and radically change my sound. I just press a button and it all happens at once. That is heaven, you know. 

"Performing is all about preparation. It took me a while to get into programming, but the [Line 6] Helix can do everything I can possibly want and, therefore, that’s all I want to use." 

Howe also made a point to mention that, in his view, gear is far from the most important aspect of a guitarist's sound in the studio.

“I’ve had so many [pedals] over the years: Big Muffs, Boomerang pedals, different sorts of wah-wahs and stuff from Maestro.

"Most of the stuff I’ve forgotten about, but I have it somewhere, or remnants of it. But the thing people often miss is - and this is important - is that it’s not just about your guitarist, their guitar, the pedals, the amp, the microphone... It’s also about the recording engineer who knows how to record a guitar. 

"So I give credit where it’s due, because there’s a lot more to sound. There’s a myriad of different things. The first thing is who’s playing it and what that person thinks while he’s planning to play something. It goes down that long chain and it ends up with a recording engineer sitting in a studio.”

https://www.guitarplayer.com/news/steve-howe-why-i-ditched-my-pedals-for-the-line-6-helix

Hey all for the multi's too, especially when playing out

Used a GT-5 for years, a GT-1 recently (batteries) and would love that Helix, a Headrush or a GT-1000, but I would really like to have that Fractal Audio AX-8

FAS-027-top.jpg.9ab81c242d4db72a0ba4438dceeec05d.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have traded a set of qsc loudspeaker for a BEAUTIful limited edition 2008 Taylor 426ce in mint shape with case. All tasmanian blackwood. I only traded because everyone is broke due to covid and I cant put the qsc's on reverb or ebay because they are too heavy to ship. The guitar? I can ship that. So if anyone is interested....Ive done my research. it was $2100 new in 2008 and Ive seen em sell for 1600-1800 Ill take $1500 and free shipping to my jet friends let me know

taylor.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 2:34 PM, The Crimson King said:

OK, this should do it. Forgot how good that Bogner pedal is

1721949944_pedals200428(2).thumb.jpg.aabbbfc40684849d822ba2ed4a78050a.jpg

Just to finish the series, after months of staying home and trying out everything this is what I ended up with, a hybrid rack-pedal mish mosh constructed soley with the fingers-crossed-and-hope-it works-method

Special mention for that light blue thingee next to the wah is Munch's vibe pedal which would not be there without this thread

How this works is that the 3 watt recording amp (Lexicon Signature 284) goes through the ADA cab sim with the rack compressor and Rocktron Hush (the compressor is/was noisy) in the effects loop of the 284 into the red and white pedals on the left (a reverb and a doubler) before the Jamman looper. The guitar goes into that white boss pedal in front of the rack which is a line selector. Line A is the main line, line B is essentially just the TCE Nova muti-fx/drive (the large pedal) for cleaner stuff. The the main line all runs through the send-return of the buffer pedal and consists of most of those pedals on the floor feeding the gold colored preamp in the rack. Clyde>Phase90>Munch's Vibe>All that boost, dirt and EQ runs through the send-return of the noise suppressor pedal>TCE Chorus/flanger>delay>preamp . Still requires a lot of tweaking as the amp alone has very interactive controls, but it was fun hooking up all this stuff and trying it. There's also a seperate line for bass (not shown) that is simply Spectracomp>Ampeg bass chorus>Bass SansAmp>mixer.

I also put together a pedal board for harp, TWCAPWOHPB (the world's cheapest and probably way overdone harp pedal board) that I'll show here when I get up off my butt to take a photo of it    

Not earth shakingly important, but immense fun 

183711109_Array200904b(2).thumb.JPG.d14a19ecba756bfdb56fd44f68189ce0.JPG

On 8/18/2020 at 10:14 AM, Warmbrother said:

I have traded a set of qsc loudspeaker for a BEAUTIful limited edition 2008 Taylor 426ce in mint shape with case. All tasmanian blackwood. I only traded because everyone is broke due to covid and I cant put the qsc's on reverb or ebay because they are too heavy to ship. The guitar? I can ship that. So if anyone is interested....Ive done my research. it was $2100 new in 2008 and Ive seen em sell for 1600-1800 Ill take $1500 and free shipping to my jet friends let me know

taylor.jpg

Love it!!!!  Beautiful guitar.  I bought a Taylor 810 in 1996 for about $1,800.  Was double what I expected to pat for a nice guitar to replace my Takamine.  Well, almost 25 years later and it sounds better than ever.  Encourage you to join the Taylor Guitar owners group on FB, Welcome to the club!. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Hi guys im back after the crusher gave me a 2 month ban. Whats new in gear land? Im using a line 6 pod GO and its pretty good

Welcome back

You were, of course missed in this thread. If I had known you were banned I would have started a "Free HighPitch !" campaign. 

Heard good things about the GO. Are you using anything in the FX loop?

Back to gigs yet? 

17 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Hi guys im back after the crusher gave me a 2 month ban. Whats new in gear land? Im using a line 6 pod GO and its pretty good

So this made me look closer at this unit. I wonder why it's a Pod Go and not a Helix Go but all the Line 6 naming conventions are starting to be confusing,  

Looked over the manual and am amazed at some of the models. They even have a Prince of Tone and a Klon, Can you stack OD's ?

Seems perfect for playing out so you don;t have to carry a pedalboard, just this and an amp. Maybe not even an amp if they let you go direct . The big question is that with soooo many choices, how do you choose?

My annual present to myself is coming up. Hmmmmmmm .....

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2020 at 10:09 PM, The Crimson King said:

Welcome back

You were, of course missed in this thread. If I had known you were banned I would have started a "Free HighPitch !" campaign. 

Heard good things about the GO. Are you using anything in the FX loop?

Back to gigs yet? 

Well hello!

No i always go old school into the front. Ive never tried the 4 chord method because it seems like a lot of extra work.

Ill tell you what i dont care for the presets.

The effects are good and i just make simple patches like clean with tamp tempo, clean with tap tempo and slight chorus, clean envelope with delay filter ala jerry, slight overdride grit with tamp delay and dirtier delay drive for wilder soloing. Those 5 make up 80% of my playing. The other 20% is for specialty setting for specific songs.

pros:

small 

relatively cheap

easy and fun programming via pc

very good low to mid level overdrives tones that sound real ( finally)

good envelope , not the greatest but better than average

chorus, phase, delay, comp all as expected . They are easy

wah pedal sound is very good

layout or navigation not mind boggling

cons:

the amp and speaker modeling sounds to me, like every other unit ive heard, sucks. A quality instrument through the pos into an excellent tube amp always sounds a billion times better. Still not a modelling fan

The volume pedal has a bad taper. It comes on strong and sudden and once on the range is limited. Its no ernie ball

i have had it lock up on me 3 times had to power off and on

overall its a good one

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Well hello!

No i always go old school into the front. Ive never tried the 4 chord method because it seems like a lot of extra work.

Ill tell you what i dont care for the presets.

The effects are good and i just make simple patches like clean with tamp tempo, clean with tap tempo and slight chorus, clean envelope with delay filter ala jerry, slight overdride grit with tamp delay and dirtier delay drive for wilder soloing. Those 5 make up 80% of my playing. The other 20% is for specialty setting for specific songs.

pros:

small 

relatively cheap

easy and fun programming via pc

very good low to mid level overdrives tones that sound real ( finally)

good envelope , not the greatest but better than average

chorus, phase, delay, comp all as expected . They are easy

wah pedal sound is very good

layout or navigation not mind boggling

cons:

the amp and speaker modeling sounds to me, like every other unit ive heard, sucks. A quality instrument through the pos into an excellent tube amp always sounds a billion times better. Still not a modelling fan

The volume pedal has a bad taper. It comes on strong and sudden and once on the range is limited. Its no ernie ball

i have had it lock up on me 3 times had to power off and on

overall its a good one

good review, in fact better than any one I've seen online on this unit 

cures my GAS on this :)

Looking to see what I can do  with the B side of the line selector (see photo on 9/7 above) which is now just the TCE Nova. Thinking of moving the vibe over there and need more versatility of cleaner sounds as the A side is all high gain (finally got that dialed in after a lot of experiment). Problem is that I can't make another pedal chain as I am running out of floor space and the Nova is a pain to tweak.

Speaking of GAS, MF had the Ibanez short scale bass on a nice sale, except you had to get orange (well at least it's a Mets color). Had a bunch of points burning a hole in my pocket so, much like my buddy's ex-wife, it was cheap and easy to get. Shows up here Wednesday.

570993559_IbanezGSRM20(2).jpg.5d58b0eb1d20e389a2af3b6168cdeb67.jpg

Probably not approved by our resident CPA, but I only have one bass (MIM Jazz) and I really liked a short scale I picked up during a jam last year. There is a lot of positive talk about this one on Talk Bass so what the heck.   

Speaking of Talk Bass, there was an interesting thread on "How Do You Know When A Guitar Player is Playng Bass?" The OP was followed by pages impuging us poor six stringers. Biggest tells (according to these bass mavens) were always playing the root and never muting. So I started playing off the root and it actually is muuuuuch better, but muting?

One more thing with apologies for thread-hogging, but my other Covid project:

The World's Cheapest and Probably Needlessly Overdone Pedalboard for Harp.

Built for the purposes of playing out and not worrying about the Lone Wolf pedals getting beer and wine spilled on them. Inspred by watching one guy get a Digitech multi fried and another get his pedalboard stomped on by a dancer.  Whole cost is about that of 2 Boss pedals and consists of some stuff I already had that was a waste. Funny thing is that it sounds great. Took it to a social distance friendy party a few weeks ago and played it through a small Bugera tube amp. Not a smidge of squeal (hard to do with the the harp). Actually got rare compliments from certain band members. 

1151609395_200907-harp(3).thumb.JPG.9f313e73561484aaff99a1a426184fe8.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Nice cheap pedalboard!

i actually played our annual daytona bandshell gig. Usually 5 or 6 thousand but because of covid they closed the area off and sold about 1000 seats that were distanced. Still a good time.

this last sturday we played this gig. 89 seats for dinner and $18 a pop and it sold out but WHOA what a crowd! They were nuts. I couldnt believe it. Went crazy after every song. Had to do 3 encores and wait afterwards to take pics and meet people felt like a rock star lol

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Nice cheap pedalboard!

i actually played our annual daytona bandshell gig. Usually 5 or 6 thousand but because of covid they closed the area off and sold about 1000 seats that were distanced. Still a good time.

this last sturday we played this gig. 89 seats for dinner and $18 a pop and it sold out but WHOA what a crowd! They were nuts. I couldnt believe it. Went crazy after every song. Had to do 3 encores and wait afterwards to take pics and meet people felt like a rock star lol

Ha!

The Meet and Greet !

Now we'll see HighPitch autographed memorabilia on Pawn Stars

A new addition to the family......

So i didnt realize I had a music go round store about an hour away. I checked their stock and came across this guy. I have owned 3 MM's in the past and LOVED them all. So I left work early and drove there. Could only test it for a minute but it sounded good. Took her to band practice and played around with her more HOLY F this amp is SWEET. the best MM I have ever owned, small, light enough, loud AF and the distortion is nice because i just add a HAIR of breakup on hard strike. My bandmates loved it too. Its in great condition too I think it is a 1980 model. I got this for $329 plus tax - dollar for dollar by far the best amp I snagged

mm.jpg

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

A new addition to the family......

So i didnt realize I had a music go round store about an hour away. I checked their stock and came across this guy. I have owned 3 MM's in the past and LOVED them all. So I left work early and drove there. Could only test it for a minute but it sounded good. Took her to band practice and played around with her more HOLY F this amp is SWEET. the best MM I have ever owned, small, light enough, loud AF and the distortion is nice because i just add a HAIR of breakup on hard strike. My bandmates loved it too. Its in great condition too I think it is a 1980 model. I got this for $329 plus tax - dollar for dollar by far the best amp I snagged

mm.jpg

Wow. This absolutely made my day

I cannot believe someone else has one of these or even knew about MM amps. I have a 112 RP that I got from Ash in '77. Haven't much used it and probably not since '94-95, but it did sound great. Transistor preamp with a tube amp. Darn thing weighs a ton !  Pull the volume for drive like the old Twin Reverbs. 

Other than a old wah, this was before my pedal obssession, Now I gotta try it with the setup.  

I wonder what the difference between an RD and RP is? Gotta look that up.

BTW: GREAT price ! I love it when you guys spend the $$$

EDIT: So looked it up. The RP has a phaser and the RD distortion. Again pretty much a pre-pedal era when that really mattered. BTW: These are going for waaaaaay more than $329 on Reverb so you got a heckova deal

Here's the manual if you didn't get it with the amp:

http://www.pacair.com/mmamps3/sites/default/files/docs/MM RD RP Manual m.pdf

34 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Wow. This absolutely made my day

I cannot believe someone else has one of these or even knew about MM amps. I have a 112 RP that I got from Ash in '77. Haven't much used it and probably not since '94-95, but it did sound great. Transistor preamp with a tube amp. Darn thing weighs a ton !  Pull the volume for drive like the old Twin Reverbs. 

Other than a old wah, this was before my pedal obssession, Now I gotta try it with the setup.  

I wonder what the difference between an RD and RP is? Gotta look that up.

BTW: GREAT price ! I love it when you guys spend the $$$

EDIT: So looked it up. The RP has a phaser and the RD distortion. Again pretty much a pre-pedal era when that really mattered. BTW: These are going for waaaaaay more than $329 on Reverb so you got a heckova deal

Here's the manual if you didn't get it with the amp:

http://www.pacair.com/mmamps3/sites/default/files/docs/MM RD RP Manual m.pdf

Ive owned 2 2x12 hd130s and a head version. Always regret selling them except for the head which had issues. This is like the same amp but smaller. Always great on dynamics, nice tight bass, nice reverb and a 6l6 fendery tone but with a lil more bite

Lets keep the secret going shhhhh

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2020 at 6:23 PM, JiF said:

Polly by Nirvana is an easy one too

• Upvote 1

You know those little "days" that they list on calenders that you never know (or cared) about like "National Hog Calling Day or National Plumbers Day"?

Well I just saw that 10/16 is National Boss Day. Now this cannot be for supervisors or managers because who ever gives a %#$ about them, about how smart they are, how they make quick and hard decisions that not only flow to the bottom line but enhance the work environment for the staff,  or how hard they work after you go home 3 hours before they do even knowing that in the end that big bonus they earned will  be cut in half because the CEO wants it for himself so he can get a wing at the hospital named after him and his wife and then cuts your division's budget just because he wants to show that is is managing even though he has no idea how the product works to begin with and then he puts an idiot friend in charge of it all because ... (sob)  ...  OK sorry, point is this can't be the Boss they are talking about so it has to be a day for ....  PEDALS !

So I am assuming that the day was set aside to buy any Boss product without feeling guilty that the wife wants new windows throughout the house which is a lot of money spent that could have gone to music, food or sports.

We have  a week to decide which one. I like the idea of the GT-1000CORE but you have to let the first version bugs get worked out. The whole WAZA line is interesting. The Katana amps look cool too but these are all too pricey for National Boss Day. Just a nice pedal will do. I'm leaning towards this one:

mo-2_top_main.jpg.a9447b85a93a92a6156ba4cd45d02941.jpg

Now I just have to fuguere out exactly what it does :)  

So what are you celebrating National Boss Day with?

• Haha 1

well, since my POD GO has an ok, not great, envelope filter I thought about adding a box and creating a patch to allow the new pedal into the effects loop. I was in sam ash and checking out the used pedals and lo and behold theres a mad professor snow white at a reasonable 139. I had watched videos and though it sounded good and remember snell saying it was the best so I just bought it and left because I was in a rush.

Played with it last night.....

AWFUL!!!! I can see it being good for a rythm player but this thing, no matter what i did, could NOT quack each not playing leads ala jeryy garcia. I could barely get an good estimated prophet sound. thats with a strat or LP custom. It just didnt work for me so I am returing it and getting another EHX micro q tron which has a way more jerryesque mu tron sound at 99 bucks. 

well thats that