The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Jimmy Page has unveiled the Sundragon amp, a collaboration between the Led Zeppelin guitarist, Perry Margouleff and Mitch Colby. The Sundragon is touted as a faithful recreation of the amp he used on the Led Zeppelin album and the solo to “Stairway to Heaven,” among other recordings.

According to the Sundragon website, Page’s original amp “started out life as a Supro Coronado. After falling out of the back of the band’s van during an early pre-Zeppelin tour, the amp was restored and modified in significant ways. Jimmy realized that the sonic palette of his amp had changed to something new and unique. After being shrouded in mystery for more than 50 years, Jimmy has decided to share this extraordinary amplifier with the world.” 

Said Page, “I had been impressed with the forensic analysis both Mitch and Perry had put into the research of the sonic reproduction of the original Supro amp to arrive at the Sundragon.”

A limited edition run of 50 Sundragon amps will be hand-built by Mitch Colby and signed by Jimmy Page throughout 2019, with a standard production run available later in the year.

For more information, head over to sundragonamp.com.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/namm-2019-jimmy-page-unveils-the-sundragon-amp

hey, these guys are on LI (breeding ground for great guitarists) !

… and all these years people were buying Supro amps saying, "it's just like the one Jimmy played in Zep, man"

Supros are great amps, I would love to hear this thing though. Hopefully it comes with a recreation of Page's fingers too 

• Upvote 1

Blackstar came out with a nice street amp (open mics, outside parties)

Otherwise, the quietest NAMM I have ever heard of.

Surprisingly little from Roland/Boss which is good because it usually causes me to spend money. I'm also glad that they didn't come out with a new workstation because I bought one this year and get mad when they come out with a new one the very next year. They did "upgrade" the GT-1000 but only with a few geegaws and gimcracks. 

Fender with a new pedal line, but they are all huge in size and would be hard to fit on a pedalboard

otherwise, kinda one big yawn

anyone see anything interesting? 

Crimson: Did not want to step on Warfish's guitar thread, so am putting this here.   My recollection is that I got the guitar and amp for Xmas 1968, but you'll get the idea.  I asked my parents for the sunburst guitar and amp in the ad below.  They paid $77.88 for the pair.  LMFAO!  I kept both until I graduated high school.

Sears1969.jpg

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Crimson: Did not want to step on Warfish's guitar thread, so am putting this here.   My recollection is that I got the guitar and amp for Xmas 1968, but you'll get the idea.  I asked my parents for the sunburst guitar and amp in the ad below.  They paid $77.88 for the pair.  LMFAO!  I kept both until I graduated high school.

Sears1969.jpg

Great Parents, I'm jealous. These weren't bad instruments IIRC. Probably worth something now

These old ads are wonderful. Brings a tear to one's eye.

So you get the guitar, amp, an AFL Championship and a Super Bowl all in a row   :)   Not a bad few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Great Parents, I'm jealous. These weren't bad instruments IIRC. Probably worth something now

These old ads are wonderful. Brings a tear to one's eye.

So you get the guitar, amp, an AFL Championship and a Super Bowl all in a row   :)   Not a bad few weeks. 

RLLOL!  Dude, I didn't put that guitar down.  Was such a big deal for me.  And we were not very well off so my folks must have thought I'd amount to something.  Little did they know.  lol

Yeah, I still remember watching Supe III at my aunt's house.  Unlike now, it was in the early afternoon.  No one expected the Jets would win so we all flipped out.

• Sympathy 1

Crimson redux: Just went looking to see if I could find the first guitar I ever had.  Insanely, I found it.  Remember going with my Mom and brother to Korvetts, which was on the other side of Staten Island.  We took two buses and took forever to get there and back.

The guitar was impossible for me or my guitar teacher to keep in tune.  Guess that's what you get for $19.  I can still smell the lacquer from the finish.

0_0_3900_4915.jpg?cs=604800

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

$19.99Crimson redux: Just went looking to see if I could find the first guitar I ever had.  Insanely, I found it.  Remember going with my Mom and brother to Korvetts, which was on the other side of Staten Island.  We took two buses and took forever to get there and back.

The guitar was impossible for me or my guitar teacher to keep in tune.  Guess that's what you get for $19.  I can still smell the lacquer from the finish.

0_0_3900_4915.jpg?cs=604800

Now THAT'S  a great find and a great story.  $20 guitars, $16amps, Korvettes and all … Weren't there still farms on SI back then?

Also, love the $70 reel-to-reel. How about a "cartridge tape recorder" for $50?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Now THAT'S  a great find and a great story.  $20 guitars, $16amps, Korvettes and all … Weren't there still farms on SI back then?

Also, love the $70 reel-to-reel. How about a "cartridge tape recorder" for $50?

Absolutely there were still "truck farms" as we called them.  And had our own dairy (Weissglass) and a Piels brewery in Stapleton.  

As a little kid in the early 60s, I remember visiting a relative in Oakwood and getting off from the SIRT onto a dirt road.  The station was at street level. The end of Hylan Blvd. near Mt. Loretto was desolate and looked like you were upstate.  Believe it or not, we actually trapped raccoons and shot pheasants with BB guns out there.  

Yeah, those prices are crazy when you compare them to now.  And that stuff was mostly made here in the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...

HIRED GUN.....  Any body catch this on Netflix?  As a bass player in college, I would show up to gigs with basically ONE one hour rehearsal before hand and met some of the musicians that night.  Played an upright in a standard "fakebook" jazz setting. Would bring my Fender precision along for some pop tunes BUT this movie brought back a lot of memories.

swse.thumb.png.47a565ca29edee7a2229018682b8eeea.png

https://www.netflix.com/title/80106507

swse.png

frg.jpg

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, munchmemory said:

For all you guitar nuts:  Just saw a reference on Music Radar which mentions Steve Vai's collection of over 400 instruments.  Below is the link on Vai.com.  Insane.

https://www.vai.com/guitars/

OMG … just OMG

They are all named too. You would need a warehouse to store all of these.

Only have at least 375 to catch up. I better get working on it. Now what were those Power Ball numbers? 

• Haha 1

I’m a garage rocker. You guys should check out a website called “build your own clone” if you are into older guitar pedals. They have the original tone bender, fuzz face, etc. They send you the schematics and all the parts, you just have to build it. My friend built a few and they sound great. 

3 hours ago, Drums said:

I’m a garage rocker. You guys should check out a website called “build your own clone” if you are into older guitar pedals. They have the original tone bender, fuzz face, etc. They send you the schematics and all the parts, you just have to build it. My friend built a few and they sound great. 

Interesting site. Fun to look through, like a Warmoth for pedals and amps. But you gotta use those tool things and stuff right?

2 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Interesting site. Fun to look through, like a Warmoth for pedals and amps. But you gotta use those tool things and stuff right?

It comes with all of the wires and equipment you need but I think you can use regular tools. It's like Legos for cool adults.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, southparkcpa said:

For all you Gadget Geeks, look at what this guy is doing. Pretty intense.

I’ve seen that before and it’s totally totally amazing with this guy can do. Not to bash him but just out of musicianship and being interesting, I’ve met a whole bunch of super freaking talented people in my life and played with them and found a lot of quirks among them. For example I don’t know anything about this particular guy but it is possible that if you got into a band with him he would have absolutely zero Ability to improvise. He may also have absolutely zero ability to write even the simplest original roof for a song. Again I’m not bashing him and I’m totally amazed by what he did and I cannot do it personally but it’s possible that he’s a total zero in other areas which I never will understand

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I’ve seen that before and it’s totally totally amazing with this guy can do. Not to bash him but just out of musicianship and being interesting, I’ve met a whole bunch of super freaking talented people in my life and played with them and found a lot of quirks among them. For example I don’t know anything about this particular guy but it is possible that if you got into a band with him he would have absolutely zero Ability to improvise. He may also have absolutely zero ability to write even the simplest original roof for a song. Again I’m not bashing him and I’m totally amazed by what he did and I cannot do it personally but it’s possible that he’s a total zero in other areas which I never will understand

Believe me I know first hand exactly what you are saying.   Musicians can be the weirdest people. egos etc.  I played with a guy once in college, a Beatles  Maniac.  Excellent musician but each part had to be played exactly like the Beatles did it.  I was playing bass, went through the chord changes and he stopped and said..no, McCartmey does a little 1 /5 feel there.    We only played that once.  His musical career went no where as he could not play with anyone. 

47 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Believe me I know first hand exactly what you are saying.   Musicians can be the weirdest people. egos etc.  I played with a guy once in college, a Beatles  Maniac.  Excellent musician but each part had to be played exactly like the Beatles did it.  I was playing bass, went through the chord changes and he stopped and said..no, McCartmey does a little 1 /5 feel there.    We only played that once.  His musical career went no where as he could not play with anyone. 

In my other band, i have to confess, im sorta that dick you described. In my defense tho, and not to sound cocky, but part of the issue is im by far the most skilled in the group. But they are great guys....

The best band ive ever been in was one where i was the least talented. I like that much better....

but in this band, im trying to get them playing funk. The bassist is adhd and everything needs to be complicated. I keep having to say “ less is more in funk” and “ funk is all about staying in the pocket.... nobody is a hero” and “ look at me im repeating same thing over n over just like the greats...individually boring.... collectively interesting” and at first he plays what i showed him .....then it progresses into rock. Then I have to feel bad saying “ dude, youre killing the funk bro”

what i want to say is “ dude wtf, listen to the great funk bassist like george porter and bootsie collins, they repeat and keep it simple. If they dont throw fills in every 5 seconds why the **** would you? Your fills are sloppy as **** to boot.... just stop and keep it simple, you ****”

but i cant say that. Hes a nice guy. I need to learn to accept

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found one of these on ebay extremely cheap. It's a Chinese knockoff of the Shure Green Bullet at about a quarter of the price

d112.thumb.jpg.33380f08b63da1fbc1a5bc894b4c5ca0.jpg

Designed specifically for the harp, it is amazing how much this thing adds to the sound. Gives it some grit and makes you sound like a old timey Chicago blues guy

It is a high impedance mic with a long chord 1/4" jack so you play this through a guitar amp using guitar pedals. It is meant to hold in your hand with the harp cupped. Can't tell you how cool this feels and sounds.

Get one of these and a Hohner Blues harp and you are set for some real fun, Remember, suck, then blow.

• 4 weeks later...

Lesson #190

Why Multi Effects boards are Good

studio190429.jpeg.0e688315fdfb3fe0d08864d44403832b.jpeg 

So many folks claim that individual peals are better than multi effects but what they don't tell you is:

So which pedal is that hum coming from? 

No sound? Now which connection is off?

Why does this sound like crap?

All you need to do is tweak to get that perfect sound? Yeah right, it is going to take years !

In case you care, that is a LP Classic (no NJM, not for sale :) )> Boss FW1 Wah >Carl Martin Compressor>TCE VPD1 Pre drive>BBE Sonic Stomp>SIB Varidrive>MXR El Diablo OD>TCE Vintage Delay>EH Holier Grail>Vox MV50>TCE SCF>DTech CabDry VR>DTech Stereo Jamman>Ebtech Hum Eliminator>stereo into the Mixer w/Boss VF-1 and Roland SRV3030 in mixer inserts. 

That's 52 knobs, 4 switches and 11 buttons to tweak before mixer effects. Took me a week to just get rid of the noise. Gonna take a month to get this to sound right, at least. Tempted to plug the VG-8, GT-5 or GT-1 back in. Is there a service where someone comes over and fixes the sound for you :) ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Lesson #190
Why Multi Effects boards are Good
studio190429.jpeg.0e688315fdfb3fe0d08864d44403832b.jpeg 
So many folks claim that individual peals are better than multi effects but what they don't tell you is:
So which pedal is that hum coming from? 
No sound? Now which connection is off?
Why does this sound like crap?
All you need to do is tweak to get that perfect sound? Yeah right, it is going to take years !
In case you care, that is a LP Classic (no NJM, not for sale )> Boss FW1 Wah >Carl Martin Compressor>TCE VPD1 Pre drive>BBE Sonic Stomp>SIB Varidrive>MXR El Diablo OD>TCE Vintage Delay>EH Holier Grail>Vox MV50>TCE SCF>DTech CabDry VR>DTech Stereo Jamman>Ebtech Hum Eliminator>stereo into the Mixer w/Boss VF-1 and Roland SRV3030 in mixer inserts. 
That's 52 knobs, 4 switches and 11 buttons to tweak before mixer effects. Took me a week to just get rid of the noise. Gonna take a month to get this to sound right, at least. Tempted to plug the VG-8, GT-5 or GT-1 back in. Is there a service where someone comes over and fixes the sound for you ?

I gigged 70 times in 2018 and on pace for about 90 this year with 11 pedals on a board. Use high quality pedals, high quality power supplies, high quality cables, and keep your sh*t maintained and clean and you will not have an issue. One spill of beer or water on a digital multi effect processor and you’re done for the night. Spill on individual high quality pedal and you likely don’t even have an issue, and if u do you’re only down 1 effect.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I run through their Klon clone, the Silver Pony. That pedal is 100% always on for me. Whether it sounds like a Klon, I have no idea. But with gain at like 1 and volume at line level it just adds this beautiful sparkle.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Mani just could not fall in love with mine no matter what. I have a Klon clone, KoT, and a Boss Super OD. So far that’s made me the happiest. I used to have a $30 TC Electronics Mojo OD that I also liked a lot better than the OCD.

Did you run it at 18v? It is like a different pedal, but you need Fulltone's adaptor to avoid the noise

12 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I gigged 70 times in 2018 and on pace for about 90 this year with 11 pedals on a board. Use high quality pedals, high quality power supplies, high quality cables, and keep your sh*t maintained and clean and you will not have an issue. One spill of beer or water on a digital multi effect processor and you’re done for the night. Spill on individual high quality pedal and you likely don’t even have an issue, and if u do you’re only down 1 effect.

Thanks for answering ! Got a list of those 11 pedals?

I put most of the pedals in the picture back on the shelves in their boxes to simplify things. That SIB Varidrive is a nice piece though (as is the currently broken MB V Twin). Not sure if they make it anymore though 

I have a Tom Anderson>Fulltone Clyde>Kelly Nice Compressor>Amptweaker Tight Metal>CE-5>RV-3>Looper>small tube amp set up now that is getting a very nice sound. Probably an accident. It is all about the settings and I am a terrible tweaker.

Next gig a week from now is a party so I'm just bringing a small Boss GT-1 that runs on batteries. Big beer spill risk event and a need for a small footprint. 

FX are great, no? When I first started all you had were a wah, a fuzz and the amp's reverb tank.