The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

Just picked up a 75 musicman hd130 head. Sounds killer, super underrated. I had an hd130 2x12 combo back in the day that i sold and now regret. 

Ive pulled the chassis out and picked up a fender blackface deluxe reverb repo cabinet. Im gonna put it in there as the chassis is 1/8 of an inch smaller. Now im reseaching a single 12 inch to top it off.

Hopefully ill wind up with a nice clean mega headroom sparkly fender like combo thats not too heavy. 

Any speaker suggestions? Ive been listening to lots of shootouts and like the warehouse veteran 30 and c/s stuff

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, Warmbrother said:

Just picked up a 75 musicman hd130 head. Sounds killer, super underrated. I had an hd130 2x12 combo back in the day that i sold and now regret. 

Ive pulled the chassis out and picked up a fender blackface deluxe reverb repo cabinet. Im gonna put it in there as the chassis is 1/8 of an inch smaller. Now im reseaching a single 12 inch to top it off.

Hopefully ill wind up with a nice clean mega headroom sparkly fender like combo thats not too heavy. 

Any speaker suggestions? Ive been listening to lots of shootouts and like the warehouse veteran 30 and c/s stuff

Still have an RP110 from 1979. Haven't plugged it in in a quarter century. Tube amp with a solid state preamp. Problem was that it weighs a ton. Wish I could help cab advice. Still an idiot about such things after so many years.

Been using a Trace Elliot Vellocette for a few weeks now. Nice little all-tube amp that takes pedals well. Bought two when they were selling out to Gibson for a fraction of what they are worth now.

Please report on what you end up doing with the speaker for the education of folks like me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 10:57 AM, NJ said:

Ha Ha - got me there. Should have been more specific. Bass Drum Pedal or in my instance double bass drum pedal.51VYHMLVJaL.jpg

Sorry but I can't offer any first hand experience with electronic kits. I have a 6 pad board that I can plug into an amp (with additional pad for the double bass pedal) but I've only used it for small parties and the like. There are some fairly electronically sophisticated set-ups I've goofed around on at Guitar Center, but they don't play like a real kit. To me anyway.      

Ive never played Gibraltar, I use my Iron Cobras and I like em.

Image result for iron cobra 600

• 2 weeks later...
Did you run it at 18v? It is like a different pedal, but you need Fulltone's adaptor to avoid the noise

Sorry I just saw this. I did try 18v as well. Being honest to me the pedal just doesn’t sound “unique”. I felt like it was covering up the natural tone of my guitar. Mind you I play with my OD levels at like 2 most of the time at the most when I use them. The Boss is really interesting to me, I wanna hate it but it’s the only one I’ve found that at heavier OD levels still seams to allow the guitar tone through. I like the King of Tone for 95% of what I play with any OD and the Boss for stupid over the top sounds.

I was pretty psyched to get my Electro-Harmonix Super Switcher today. That’s going to make my stage life worlds easier once I figure out the midi.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

So Harmon, owner of Digitech  got acquired by Samsung and they are discontinuing  the brand. That means the Ditto, Jamman, Stereo, the DDrum, RP360, etc will be no more. Shame that.
Anyone who comes across blowouts  in  this regard please post, They will not last long. 

No kidding??? I have the JamMan 2, I never use it.

Not sure what music you play, but check out Tone Tubby. Their speakers are out of this world!

Thanks for answering ! Got a list of those 11 pedals?

I put most of the pedals in the picture back on the shelves in their boxes to simplify things. That SIB Varidrive is a nice piece though (as is the currently broken MB V Twin). Not sure if they make it anymore though 

I have a Tom Anderson>Fulltone Clyde>Kelly Nice Compressor>Amptweaker Tight Metal>CE-5>RV-3>Looper>small tube amp set up now that is getting a very nice sound. Probably an accident. It is all about the settings and I am a terrible tweaker.

Next gig a week from now is a party so I'm just bringing a small Boss GT-1 that runs on batteries. Big beer spill risk event and a need for a small footprint. 

FX are great, no? When I first started all you had were a wah, a fuzz and the amp's reverb tank.  

My chain is as follows:

Guitar>

Wampler EGO Comp>

Vox Wah>

Mad Professor SnowWhite Autowah>

Funkzilla Envelop Filter>

Silver Pony Klon Clone>

Analogman King of Tone>

Boss Turbo OD>

Xotic EPBoost>

Ernie Ball Volume>

MXR Phase 90>

EH Octave>

Strymon Timeline

This runs into a Fender Twin Reverb that I split into a head and cab to save my back.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Bye week is a good time to order some gear to work on while waiting for the thrill of the Eagles match

Better yet is finding never used stuff in the basement. Found a Lexicon Signature 284 in an unopened box.  Put it in an unbuilt rack with a TCE Triple C, ADA Cab thingee, Boss reverb, BBE sonic maximizer and a Foster line mixer with the intent to record using pedals. If I had the yarbles, I would add a TCE G Force to the empty rack space. Still need to connect all of this but I expect that the sound will suck as much as everything else I try :). Well at least it didn't cost nuthin' (kinda)   

821400594_Rack(2).thumb.JPG.7696e429e549f0c04b9873648780dba1.JPG

• Upvote 1

So I’ve played I guess about 20 gigs or so with the EH Super Switcher. I love that the midi controls my Strymon Timeline presets for each patch I set, and it was pretty easy to set up. My biggest complaint is the switches are so close to each other. Especially the boost and tap tempo. Countless times when I hit the boost I’ll accidentally hit the tap tempo as well. Problem is if you hit tap tempo only once it essentially turns off the delay since it only had one tap and not a second one to establish the delay interval, so it just goes to a solid light with no delay tempo. I love the functionality otherwise, but I have to play barefoot to not accidentally hit other switches. I guess the designers have really small feet.

On 9/24/2019 at 5:32 PM, The Crimson King said:

Bye week is a good time to order some gear to work on while waiting for the thrill of the Eagles match

Better yet is finding never used stuff in the basement. Found a Lexicon Signature 284 in an unopened box.  Put it in an unbuilt rack with a TCE Triple C, ADA Cab thingee, Boss reverb, BBE sonic maximizer and a Foster line mixer with the intent to record using pedals. If I had the yarbles, I would add a TCE G Force to the empty rack space. Still need to connect all of this but I expect that the sound will suck as much as everything else I try :). Well at least it didn't cost nuthin' (kinda)   

821400594_Rack(2).thumb.JPG.7696e429e549f0c04b9873648780dba1.JPG

Yo!  Is that a Carvin guitar on the left.  Sorry, can't see the head stock.  BTW love the fact you stock a Boss reverb in there.  Those always sound sweet.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Good call on the Carvin.

For the price, it sounds and plays great. Wish they still existed. 

By the way, if you're interested in some visionary music.  Listen to the new Sturgill Simpson album Sound & Fury that just dropped.  Best rock album I have heard in about 10 years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, The Crimson King said:

A) BASS

So it has been about 6 weeks of this and I want to apologize to every bass player who has ever lived for thinking that this is easy. Like for real. My $%^$ hand HURTS !

Had to nail Ain't No Stopping Us Now and the %^$% drummer plays it too fast so I am breaking my arse trying to keep up, then have to do it over (and over) again because the drummer screwed up and the BL has it out for him (for like 50 yrs !). It is a lot of notes. Nothing like guitar of course but those darned strings are so thick and wide apart that it is haaaaard. Did I mention that my hand hurts? Some stuff is easy like Happy, Rolling the Deep and even Boogie Oogie but even those are harder when your HAND HURTS ! BTW:  Good Times by Chic makes up for all of this, Whatta blast to play !

Thinking of maybe getting a short scale bass to make this easier, anyone have any experience with one?

Meanwhile we are moving to one of those studios for full practice this weekend to start folding in the divas, I get to play a full stack SVT. Stand Back !

2) ACOUSTIC GUITAR

Been taking one of the electrics to a regular open mic with a looper and a multi FX and doing stuff like Birds of Fire, Wurm, 21st Century Schizoid Man, instrumental originals, etc.. Getting a lot of strange looks, especially since the gig moved to a bar with a younger crowd,, although they do love Schizoid Man and make me repeat it. So I took the one acoustic that I have (about a 20 yo Ovation) that I never used and am having it set up and the preamp replaced. This should be a new challenge to just use that,  A question and a request in that regard:

Q: Any recommended FX or should I just plug in and play? I plan on doing actual songs and may even write a few. If course, one needs to mix in You Know, You Know once in a while but I will try to restrain myself.

R: How about some good songs to play? I do not have a very sweet voice and am prone to bluesly growling but I need something these kids will notice. Willing to try anything I can get on Ultimate Guitar Tabs and learn on You Tube 

Did I note my sincere apologies to our bass brethren, certified or otherwise? Guess I won't be learning that solo to After The Cosmic Rains soon.

Hey. I just saw this thread. How’s the wedding band going?

For the last 10 years I’ve been in a night club cover band that does a bunch of weddings per year. I also started playing the bass with this band as we had too many guitar players and no bass players. Anyway, there are still people who want the live band feel over the DJ but most people definitely go with the DJ. It’s hard to market yourselves to potential brides to get the weddings here on LI. It’s a big business. 

4 hours ago, cbudiarjo said:

Hey. I just saw this thread. How’s the wedding band going?

For the last 10 years I’ve been in a night club cover band that does a bunch of weddings per year. I also started playing the bass with this band as we had too many guitar players and no bass players. Anyway, there are still people who want the live band feel over the DJ but most people definitely go with the DJ. It’s hard to market yourselves to potential brides to get the weddings here on LI. It’s a big business. 

The wedding band was made up of 4 guys from a larger party band with 2 divas that one of them met. The divas fired our beloved but not that versatile drummer and brought in a replacement. He had me tossed for being "too jazzy" (whatever that meant). The new bassist had the other two original guys replaced for "not having the right look" (one is older, the other is about 400lbs and scary looking). Goodness knows if the replacements ever got this off the ground. To be honest, playing this type of music would have driven me crazy in short order.

I,000 years ago, as high schoolers,  we had a little thing going for one season with our band playing breaks at Bar Mitzvahs at places like The Galaxie, Leonard's and Carl Hoppels (any of those still exist?). The havah nagala band would do their thing and we would be set up to the side to do "rock and roll for the kids". Since one kid had it, their parents in competition with the previous party had to have it too. Then we ran out of that class and that ended.  Didn't get paid much but you got free food and girls who would not normally even look at you would talk to you.  Plus I got a free yarmulke that I still have. Ah, the good 'ole days. 

• Upvote 1

The wedding band was made up of 4 guys from a larger party band with 2 divas that one of them met. The divas fired our beloved but not that versatile drummer and brought in a replacement. He had me tossed for being "too jazzy" (whatever that meant). The new bassist had the other two original guys replaced for "not having the right look" (one is older, the other is about 400lbs and scary looking). Goodness knows if the replacements ever got this off the ground. To be honest, playing this type of music would have driven me crazy in short order.
I,000 years ago, as high schoolers,  we had a little thing going for one season with our band playing breaks at Bar Mitzvahs at places like The Galaxie, Leonard's and Carl Hoppels (any of those still exist?). The havah nagala band would do their thing and we would be set up to the side to do "rock and roll for the kids". Since one kid had it, their parents in competition with the previous party had to have it too. Then we ran out of that class and that ended.  Didn't get paid much but you got free food and girls who would not normally even look at you would talk to you.  Plus I got a free yarmulke that I still have. Ah, the good 'ole days. 

I auditioned for and won the job to be in a wedding band 20 years ago. I was 21/22 years old. I showed up to the first gig and was immediately dismissed from the band before walking in. I didn’t realize that the band had to wear tuxes and showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. ?

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

It's time for all that "Black Friday/Cyber Monday/you need to buy this now because these discounts will never come again" silliness

Anyone see anything cool (like huge discounts on Beat Buddy or 80% off PRS') please let the rest of us know.

So far, I see a 10% discount on all Lone Wolf Blues Co.  products. Amazing harp effects pedals amps and such. Other than Memphis Blues delay pedal I don't think anyone else makes products for harp and these really make a significant difference

On 10/15/2019 at 7:44 PM, Snell41 said:

I auditioned for and won the job to be in a wedding band 20 years ago. I was 21/22 years old. I showed up to the first gig and was immediately dismissed from the band before walking in. I didn’t realize that the band had to wear tuxes and showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. ?

I once lost my bow tie when I played in orchestra in college and we pinned a put a black sock  to my shirt. I played bass and was way in the back...   no one would see.   You should have joined "The good ole boys:.  Get the reference?  You might be too young.

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

It's time for all that "Black Friday/Cyber Monday/you need to buy this now because these discounts will never come again" silliness

Anyone see anything cool (like huge discounts on Beat Buddy or 80% off PRS') please let the rest of us know.

So far, I see a 10% discount on all Lone Wolf Blues Co.  products. Amazing harp effects pedals amps and such. Other than Memphis Blues delay pedal I don't think anyone else makes products for harp and these really make a significant difference

I was just asked to play in a band a few guys are forming here and after a week of deliberation I declined. I feel like time has passed me by. I was a very good bass player in the day, majored in music, now I don't even own a bass. I own a piano and 2 acoustic guitars.  Would have to buy a bunch of gear etc...  my hearts just not in it.  I really envy you guys if you enjoy it.  A college buddy of mine plays ina British invasion band in Melbourne Fl.  He loves it.  @Snell41 @The Crimson King @HighPitch

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I was just asked to play in a band a few guys are forming here and after a week of deliberation I declined. I feel like time has passed me by. I was a very good bass player in the day, majored in music, now I don't even own a bass. I own a piano and 2 acoustic guitars.  Would have to buy a bunch of gear etc...  my hearts just not in it.  I really envy you guys if you enjoy it.  A college buddy of mine plays ina British invasion band in Melbourne Fl.  He loves it.  @Snell41 @The Crimson King @HighPitch

DR                                               CR

Bass                                             A little bit of cash

Amp                                            Equity of the heart

Cabinet

Pedals

Mic & stand

8 track CD recorder

The thrill of researching gear

A truckload of fun

southpark CD's

• Upvote 1

I was just asked to play in a band a few guys are forming here and after a week of deliberation I declined. I feel like time has passed me by. I was a very good bass player in the day, majored in music, now I don't even own a bass. I own a piano and 2 acoustic guitars.  Would have to buy a bunch of gear etc...  my hearts just not in it.  I really envy you guys if you enjoy it.  A college buddy of mine plays ina British invasion band in Melbourne Fl.  He loves it.  [mention=28812]Snell41[/mention] [mention=32104]The Crimson King[/mention] [mention=29137]HighPitch[/mention]

Moving gear is the only thing I dislike about playing music. I’m in the midst of writing and recording an album along with playing like 1-3 times a week, my gear consists of a Fender Twin and a very heavy Trailer Trash flight case pedalboard. My body is hurting loading that in and out every night. Even worse when we have to provide sound. But playing music is therapy in every sense of the word, what my body pays for physically is made up in spades mentally.

• Sympathy 2

22 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Moving gear is the only thing I dislike about playing music. I’m in the midst of writing and recording an album along with playing like 1-3 times a week, my gear consists of a Fender Twin and a very heavy Trailer Trash flight case pedalboard. My body is hurting loading that in and out every night. Even worse when we have to provide sound. But playing music is therapy in every sense of the word, what my body pays for physically is made up in spades mentally.

I played in a jazz duet for a few years with a guitar player and a trio with drums and piano. try carrying around a full size upright bass.  ?

KHDK no.1 for $70 here:

http://www.proaudiostar.com/2019/black-friday/amp-and-pedals/khdk-electronics-khdk-1-no-1-overdrive.html?irclickid=3tBT-axSpxyOWL005-R4sULoUkn3ocXxz11Gyo0&utm_source=Impact&irgwc=1

This one goes for $199 at Ash and most stores, $139 on Amazon (only 1 left).

Haven't heard it yet but it looks intriguing

On 7/25/2019 at 2:48 PM, Snell41 said:

Sorry I just saw this. I did try 18v as well. Being honest to me the pedal just doesn’t sound “unique”. I felt like it was covering up the natural tone of my guitar. Mind you I play with my OD levels at like 2 most of the time at the most when I use them. The Boss is really interesting to me, I wanna hate it but it’s the only one I’ve found that at heavier OD levels still seams to allow the guitar tone through. I like the King of Tone for 95% of what I play with any OD and the Boss for stupid over the top sounds.

I was pretty psyched to get my Electro-Harmonix Super Switcher today. That’s going to make my stage life worlds easier once I figure out the midi.

Have you tried a klon clone? Very transparent

On 11/24/2019 at 2:37 PM, Snell41 said:

Dude a twin? And a flight case?

i detest moving gear too. My awesome “easy” setup:

1. fender blues jr

2. Gator double guitar soft backpack case with a strat and tele

3. Gator soft pedalboard with shoulder strap

thats it. I can park my car and drag everything in to a gig and still have one hand free. 

Now for larger gigs i tool out my matchless chieftan 2x12 but thats for special events. What a bear!

About the blues jr..... I’ve tried every amp in existence defined a great sounding portable light weight set up that can easily keep up with the band. The blues Junior is a fantastic amp..... super underrated. To get the best sound out of them you need to get a replacement cabinet pine works best plus a new speaker and a few simple mods to the amp itself. I own two. The first is a pine head and cabinet configuration with a vintage 30 Celestion made in England. It sounds superb clean dynamics Touch Sensitive I love it. I have a second blues Junior that I’m doing the same thing too but I have a custom combo cabinet being built it’s going to be red tolex And the size of a fender deluxe reverb with a cannabis Rex speaker. I’ll post pics when I get it but the reason I went with that is because the head and separate cabinet looks great but you lose the ability to just pick it up and go

EA036252-842D-4325-98D4-793C785B415D.jpeg

On 11/19/2018 at 9:08 PM, The Crimson King said:

Having retired over 13 years ago, got plenty of free time. I highly recommend doing that as soon as possible. Frees up all sorts of possibilities :)

Egos and money are what always ruined the whole experience. A recording contract and TV made it even worse. Way worse. That's why they invented MIDI, digital multitrack and personal studios. I would have refused to play with that drummer anyway, sounds real bad

I have strong doubts that this can be done anyway as I see no way to compete with the DJ Gangs but would love to try. Bass can be a lot of fun and both the instrument (as a regular) and type of music would be a new challenge for me. A few bucks every so often would go nicely towards some more pedals and such. The pile isn't quite up to the ceiling yet. 

Plus, these girls are amazing enough to even put up with the songs that I was given as the initial assignment to practice:

1. Boogie Ooogie Oogie
  2. I Will Survive (All I will think of is the Replacements on this one)
  3. At Last
  4. Ooh Baby Baby
  5. Ain't No Stopping Us Now
  6. Rolling in the Deep (check out Aretha's version versus Adele's, holy geez)
  7. 24k Magic
  8. I Love It
  9. Shut Up and Dance
  10. We Found Love
  11. Teenage Dreams
  12. Wagon Wheel
  13. Timber
  14. A thousand Years

Ha ! Guess I have to save the good stuff for another time. Anyone have any opinion on that list other than "shoot me now please"? 

Haha I play in a Funtime band just a group of people and wagon wheel is one of the songs. I just play rhythm but I love playing that song, the progression is great, simple but you can really catchy, which is ironic bc when I just listen to it, it sorta bores me, but playing it with people is totally different 

Have you tried a klon clone? Very transparent

Yup, I have a clone that was hand built. That pedal stays on 100% of the time with the gain at about 1. Behind that I run the King of Tone and the Super OD. I’ve been playing more originals lately and opening up the OD levels. The Super OD is great from a compressed heavy OD for solos, the Klon with both sides on has a more bluesy feel.

About the blues jr..... I’ve tried every amp in existence defined a great sounding portable light weight set up that can easily keep up with the band. The blues Junior is a fantastic amp..... super underrated. To get the best sound out of them you need to get a replacement cabinet pine works best plus a new speaker and a few simple mods to the amp itself. I own two. The first is a pine head and cabinet configuration with a vintage 30 Celestion made in England. It sounds superb clean dynamics Touch Sensitive I love it. I have a second blues Junior that I’m doing the same thing too but I have a custom combo cabinet being built it’s going to be red tolex And the size of a fender deluxe reverb with a cannabis Rex speaker. I’ll post pics when I get it but the reason I went with that is because the head and separate cabinet looks great but you lose the ability to just pick it up and go
EA036252-842D-4325-98D4-793C785B415D.thumb.jpeg.d61318fc0530aac52f6cf574f43393b6.jpeg

I hope this pic works, this is my twin in a custom cab I bought raw and sanded/finished.