The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

PRS made 1,000 of these. It's an SE Custom 24, normally about $500 going for $750. It's called the Schizoid Edition or something like that.
148173203_SkizoidPRSSECustom24.jpg.63679ff340a817e5bbcfdac4f7cd111c.jpg 

We were in our local store this evening for setup and repair on something when the wife saw this and went nuts. She has been insisting all evening that I buy this. There's something about the paint job that kinda looks familiar .
Two problems, however, it's essentially PRS's Epiphone to their Gibson (hence the price) made in Korea instead of MD and you are paying $250 for paint (that's 1-2 pedal money).
Still, I hear that the SE's are a great buy. Anyone ever play one?
Meanwhile, this week's toy currently on UPS  truck somewhere:
Buffer.thumb.jpg.82a5e39be2ef42214b07bb1c0e656a8c.jpg

I’ve never been one for a tribute guitar. Like the Zach Wylde bullseye Gibson, or the countless Jerry Garcia cline guitars. As for the SE version, I can’t answer specifically but I will say this- cheap version guitars are really hit or miss, but you can get a great guitar now and again. I had an Epiphone Sheraton II. It was stellar to play. I mean pure butter. The electronics were wired carelessly, but it plays like a dream and had great tone. I saw another in a store and played it for nostalgia’s sake and it was hot garbage. I mean awful tone, awful playability, just garbage. I have a Martin XD series acoustic, made in either China or Korea I forget. It’s unreal to me how easy it is to play, and frankly I love the tone of it. Price to value I place it up against high end guitars any day. That said I’ve heard people talk about them like they’re pure trash and chances are the ones they played were. Gist of my point, if you’re looking for a bargain guitar, play the sh*t out of it before you buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I’ve never been one for a tribute guitar. Like the Zach Wylde bullseye Gibson, or the countless Jerry Garcia cline guitars. As for the SE version, I can’t answer specifically but I will say this- cheap version guitars are really hit or miss, but you can get a great guitar now and again. I had an Epiphone Sheraton II. It was stellar to play. I mean pure butter. The electronics were wired carelessly, but it plays like a dream and had great tone. I saw another in a store and played it for nostalgia’s sake and it was hot garbage. I mean awful tone, awful playability, just garbage. I have a Martin XD series acoustic, made in either China or Korea I forget. It’s unreal to me how easy it is to play, and frankly I love the tone of it. Price to value I place it up against high end guitars any day. That said I’ve heard people talk about them like they’re pure trash and chances are the ones they played were. Gist of my point, if you’re looking for a bargain guitar, play the sh*t out of it before you buy it.

No matter what, I hate paying for paint and even more on "tributes". That $ could be way better used elsewhere (pedals, pedals and more pedals … and rack improvements :) ). Also for the most part I have to agree that with inexpensive guitars, you need to play it. Of course that also goes for high end but some of them you have to order. Been lucky on a Grosh and really really (really) lucky on a couple of Andersons. Hopefully the PRS and one more Anderson that I order when I win the lottery will be good ones too !

1526388658_SkizoidPRSSECustom24(2).jpg.2084bb54ae3ec8173d6f33004ff925cd.jpg

BTW: This is a better look. I do have to admit that it looks great the way one would play it, I wonder if this tribute is for the band or the JetsNation poster? (HA!)

• Sympathy 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess we all missed out on the $18 bass. Exquisite burning fire style and all that 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exquisite-Burning-Fire-Style-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Blue/372967460235?hash=item56d697cd8b:g:tpsAAOSww5ZeNvdz

Features:
1. New and in good condition
2. Comfortable hand feeling, stylish outlook, stable performance and melodious sound
3. Compared with ordinary guitar, it has thicker strings and larger string tension
4. A perfect instrument for emitting wonderful bass effect
5. It has a silky balance to the tone that supports vocals beautifully
6. Can be a nice gift for your friends or families

it even comes an "amp wire"

• 2 weeks later...

So I put together a nice recording rack for home and the amp (Lexicon 284) needs to be repaired. Figured I'd wait for all this virus stuff to be over so I threw a couple of simple pedals on the floor and fed a couple of a Sans Amps (one for guitar and one for bass) and a looper. Turns out it that it sounds better than the $%^$ rack. What amazes me is the bass compressor. A cheap pedal like that makes a HUGE difference. I guess sometimes simple is better. 

Equip200318 (2).JPG

On 2/19/2020 at 12:10 PM, The Crimson King said:

No matter what, I hate paying for paint and even more on "tributes". That $ could be way better used elsewhere (pedals, pedals and more pedals … and rack improvements :) ). Also for the most part I have to agree that with inexpensive guitars, you need to play it. Of course that also goes for high end but some of them you have to order. Been lucky on a Grosh and really really (really) lucky on a couple of Andersons. Hopefully the PRS and one more Anderson that I order when I win the lottery will be good ones too !

1526388658_SkizoidPRSSECustom24(2).jpg.2084bb54ae3ec8173d6f33004ff925cd.jpg

BTW: This is a better look. I do have to admit that it looks great the way one would play it, I wonder if this tribute is for the band or the JetsNation poster? (HA!)

My wife has a PRS Standard 24.  Not the guitar I would have bought myself, but it is easily the best playing guitar I have played.  Much better than much more expensive guitars that have had a pro set up or been plek’d.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

My wife has a PRS Standard 24.  Not the guitar I would have bought myself, but it is easily the best playing guitar I have played.  Much better than much more expensive guitars that have had a pro set up or been plek’d.  

Your wife?  NOW I'm jealous. I would give a body part to have the Mrs. in a band with me, but in a perfect world it would be electric violin :)

She keeps insisting that I get myself a custom made PRS, I keep telling her it is the price of a car. She keeps telling me that you only live once. 

This is one expensive hobby, no?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Your wife?  NOW I'm jealous. I would give a body part to have the Mrs. in a band with me, but in a perfect world it would be electric violin :)

She keeps insisting that I get myself a custom made PRS, I keep telling her it is the price of a car. She keeps telling me that you only live once. 

This is one expensive hobby, no?

Yes, she is great!  Not only can she play almost any instrument and make it sound good (i can just make a lot if noise), but she also plays all fantasy sports with me and can watch and comprehend games of almost any sport.  She has been going through worse sports withdrawal than I have.  

Its been a little while since either of us played guitar regularly, but she recently got the prs and it restruck our interest.  

I’ll have to post some of our gear, I had no idea this thread existed!  I love stuff that makes or records noise.  

• Upvote 1

Was just watching this video with one of my favorite guitar players, Robben Ford.  Not really about equipment, but did not want it to get lost in the What Are You Listening To thread.  Very nice lesson from one of the greats about not being afraid to use the pentatonic scale.  And his Goldtop is pretty cool, too.

• Sympathy 1

On 3/21/2020 at 12:41 PM, munchmemory said:

Was just watching this video with one of my favorite guitar players, Robben Ford.  Not really about equipment, but did not want it to get lost in the What Are You Listening To thread.  Very nice lesson from one of the greats about not being afraid to use the pentatonic scale.  And his Goldtop is pretty cool, too.

Went crazy looking for this on the listening thread (which takes way too long to download) when I remembered it was here). Very inspiring. Brings you back to the basics.

Kinda is also about the gear though. Beautiful goldtop. Played straight with reverb only? 

Time to fire up the looper and do some blues :)

• Sympathy 1

On 3/18/2020 at 10:14 PM, The Crimson King said:

So I put together a nice recording rack for home and the amp (Lexicon 284) needs to be repaired. Figured I'd wait for all this virus stuff to be over so I threw a couple of simple pedals on the floor and fed a couple of a Sans Amps (one for guitar and one for bass) and a looper. Turns out it that it sounds better than the $%^$ rack. What amazes me is the bass compressor. A cheap pedal like that makes a HUGE difference. I guess sometimes simple is better. 

Equip200318 (2).JPG

the wife looks in and says … "what did those things do, have another litter?"

pedals 200325 (2).jpg

• Haha 1

All fun and kidding aside, this pandemic is destroying the livelihood of local working musicians. Besides not having work, the live feed fad went from paying decent to now paying nothing, I’m convinced many of the venues are going to be gone once the world reopens. Most musicians I know, including me, are already a little ****ed in the head. I just hope to god we don’t start losing our local talent to the disease or despair,

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

All fun and kidding aside, this pandemic is destroying the livelihood of local working musicians. Besides not having work, the live feed fad went from paying decent to now paying nothing, I’m convinced many of the venues are going to be gone once the world reopens. Most musicians I know, including me, are already a little ****ed in the head. I just hope to god we don’t start losing our local talent to the disease or despair,

My GF and I workout at different gyms and enjoy it. We were commenting how many people , after coping with this and working out outside etc... will go back to paying $100 a month etc.    Many businesses will be altered or disappear.  One of my bussiens owns a Karate school, he will go under IMO.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

My GF and I workout at different gyms and enjoy it. We were commenting how many people , after coping with this and working out outside etc... will go back to paying $100 a month etc.    Many businesses will be altered or disappear.  One of my bussiens owns a Karate school, he will go under IMO.

Might be a good time to form a turnaround group, if nothing else to represent companies to negotiate forbearance agreements and restructure facilities with lenders, then shepherd the ones who didn't make it that way through their Ch. 11's.  Yeesh.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:23 PM, The Crimson King said:

Update to the stimulus plan:

1824061830_GuitarFund(2).png.ff9a7163192e16029f2915072161936f.png

$1,200 per person, $2,400 for a married couple?

So a few expensive pedals or a slew of cheap ones? or throw in a few bucks for the custom PRS you always wanted?

A lot of tough decisions coming up

Thank you government *

* note: not a political comment, just a thank you for cash not earned or deserved 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

$1,200 per person, $2,400 for a married couple?

So a few expensive pedals or a slew of cheap ones? or throw in a few bucks for the custom PRS you always wanted?

A lot of tough decisions coming up

Thank you government *

* note: not a political comment, just a thank you for cash not earned or deserved 

Really have been wanting to play one of the new D'Angelico acoustics.  But my OCD won't allow me to order one from Sweetwater.  God knows who handled the axe and plus they're made in China.  Great timing.  lol

I love the look of this as a knock around guitar.

680196086677_02_530x@2x.jpg?v=1571719448

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TmnyPMAN--dangelico-premier-tammany-aged-natural

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Really have been wanting to play one of the new D'Angelico acoustics.  But my OCD won't allow me to order one from Sweetwater.  God knows who handled the axe and plus they're made in China.  Great timing.  lol

I love the look of this as a knock around guitar.

680196086677_02_530x@2x.jpg?v=1571719448

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TmnyPMAN--dangelico-premier-tammany-aged-natural

Decent price for that. You'd even have enough left over for an Eventide H9 Max

Never seen a Marsl all amp before though

Hey ! There are PRS' on the back wall 

good store Sweetwater except that if you buy even a cheap item, they call you for a couple of months to ask how you are and if you need anything.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Decent price for that. You'd even have enough left over for an Eventide H9 Max

Never seen a Marsl all amp before though

Hey ! There are PRS' on the back wall 

good store Sweetwater except that if you buy even a cheap item, they call you for a couple of months to ask how you are and if you need anything.

You'd need to school me on all the new effects pedals like that Evantide.  Looks very cool from my uneducated perspective.

LOL on the Marl...  And good eye spotting that PRS.

I've bought several guitars, ukes, strings, cases and a bunch of other stuff from Sweetwater.  Superlative service (no issue with any returns, etc.) and willing to beat anyone's price.  The person I deal with is Tom, who could not be more knowledgeable as well as a great human being.  

56 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You'd need to school me on all the new effects pedals like that Evantide.  Looks very cool from my uneducated perspective.

I've bought several guitars, ukes, strings, cases and a bunch of other stuff from Sweetwater.  Superlative service (no issue with any returns, etc.) and willing to beat anyone's price.  The person I deal with is Tom, who could not be more knowledgeable as well as a great human being.  

plus if you ever fall into a huge pile of cash and want to build a major league home studio, they will bring everything to your home, set it all up and instruct you on how to use everything, You just have to pay for the equipment plus the tech's airfare and lodging. I kid you not. (C'mon Powerball)  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

4 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

plus if you ever fall into a huge pile of cash and want to build a major league home studio, they will bring everything to your home, set it all up and instruct you on how to use everything, You just have to pay for the equipment plus the tech's airfare and lodging. I kid you not. (C'mon Powerball)  

I’m with munch.  Time  has passed me by.  never used effects much and most of my bass playing professionally was jazz with my upright or fender precision.  I wouldn’t know what amp to use let alone gadgets if I were to play again. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m with munch.  Time  has passed me by.  never used effects much and most of my bass playing professionally was jazz with my upright or fender precision.  I wouldn’t know what amp to use let alone gadgets if I were to play again. 

OK ...

Here ya go, don't blame me if it costs you $$$$ :)

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I'll offer up my hack talent as your rhythm guitar player.   

Your modesty doesn't sell here....  im sure your quite accomplished.  Ive been playing my acoustic guitar on the balcany (live in a condo)  and the neighbors all think Im an accomplished player.   little do they know.   I was playing Norweigan wood and someone from above applauded and asked if I took requests.  Couldn't see him, just heard him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Your modesty doesn't sell here....  im sure your quite accomplished.  Ive been playing my acoustic guitar on the balcany (live in a condo)  and the neighbors all think Im an accomplished player.   little do they know.   I was playing Norweigan wood and someone from above applauded and asked if I took requests.  Couldn't see him, just heard him.

You're too kind.  But thanks.  I could use it.

Wow, that's so awesome that folks in your complex dug your playing.  Keep playing.  Obviously, you're making people happy and taking their minds off this COVID-19 madness.  Nice work.  

That's you, not Geddy along side Alex.

2d416b58b92cce19268c1aaf95600799.gif

• Haha 1

Discount Heads Up:

Fulltone is offering 15% off if you order direct, For instance, always wanted that Deja Vibe? $33 off, so now only $187. Code is STIMULUS

OCD. Fulldrive, etc all available

The Tube Tape echo (a modern Echoplex  without all the issues) was $1,999, discounted to $1,699, $1,444 after the code (and tell me how it is, I always wanted one of these :) )

Just a heads up. There is going to be a lot of this coming

While rooting around in the basement, I moved some stuff and found this hidden. Had no idea I had it, the box was still sealed. I think that they discontinued this model back in the Clinton administration. Turns out to be a lot of fun. It is a typical Line 6 stompbox modeler. There were (and still are) several types of this series, This one is the dirt boxes, specifically a bunch old classics. Very tweakable, savable and a lot of fun. Anyone ever use one of these and any tips? 

DM4.thumb.png.a347dbc69cbdfec1ab1c84948786b520.png

8 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Talk about gear.  Only an engineer and musician could have come up with this stuff.  Talks about his "Hyper Space Pedal"--of which there are only two in existence--at about 2:15 in the video.  Always loved that incredible tone.  

Scholz Power Soak   A+++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Upvote 1