The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

Ive used the kangra . OK
EHX q tron. OK.
earthquake devices. Awful.
head rush. Awful.
no jerry type envelope sounds anywhere as good to me as the one on my old line 6 xt live. Doesnt matter what guitar or where you are on the fretboard. Always consistent and quacky.
my buddy has a nice one on his fractal, but thats a fortune.
im sure the mutron reissue is prettty good but its pricey

Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah. The thing is perfect, quacks on the entire spectrum of the fretboard, works with single coil and humbucker just as well. Only drawback is you can’t get the reverse EF that Jerry used on the old school Dancin In The Streets versions, but otherwise the pedal is outrageous. I have played through probably 8 or 9 different ones professionally and by far the Snow White is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 5/29/2020 at 9:02 AM, Snell41 said:

Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah. The thing is perfect, quacks on the entire spectrum of the fretboard, works with single coil and humbucker just as well. Only drawback is you can’t get the reverse EF that Jerry used on the old school Dancin In The Streets versions, but otherwise the pedal is outrageous. I have played through probably 8 or 9 different ones professionally and by far the Snow White is the best.

Heard this was an excellent piece. 68 Pedals makes a specific clone called Snow White (not sure how they get away with that) for $70 (MP is $195 or so, right?) but it doesn't have the guit/bass switch and it is made in China so not the MO quality but for $70 ...

Funny this came up. I started a sperate chain for the Strat and pulled the QTron off the pedal graveyard shelves, Couldn't get anything musical out of it at all.

In other news ... 

Keep an eye on the Harmanaudio website as they blow out their DOD stock. Rumor has it that they are dropping effects. The Phasor 401 is on there now for $45. They had similar deals with the compressor, booster and the 250 preamp. Not sure if they will do this with DIgitech also but it would be nice to get a whammy or another Jamman stereo on the cheap.  Also, ProAudioStar still has the Rubberneck delay for $120 and it is a lot of fun to fool around with.

Meanwhile, what's on the Gotta Have list today?  

Heard this was an excellent piece. 68 Pedals makes a specific clone called Snow White (not sure how they get away with that) for $70 (MP is $195 or so, right?) but it doesn't have the guit/bass switch and it is made in China so not the MO quality but for $70 ...
Funny this came up. I started a sperate chain for the Strat and pulled the QTron off the pedal graveyard shelves, Couldn't get anything musical out of it at all.
In other news ... 
Keep an eye on the Harmanaudio website as they blow out their DOD stock. Rumor has it that they are dropping effects. The Phasor 401 is on there now for $45. They had similar deals with the compressor, booster and the 250 preamp. Not sure if they will do this with DIgitech also but it would be nice to get a whammy or another Jamman stereo on the cheap.  Also, ProAudioStar still has the Rubberneck delay for $120 and it is a lot of fun to fool around with.
Meanwhile, what's on the Gotta Have list today?  

My wishlist top “gotta have” pedal is the Strymon Lex. I used to own one and sold it, I want to kick myself for that.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

My wishlist top “gotta have” pedal is the Strymon Lex. I used to own one and sold it, I want to kick myself for that.

several minutes after I win LOTTO, I am going to whatever website is appropriate and order every Strymon pedal there is. Meantime I really want a Flint and an Iridium but I promised myself no more purchases until I get 4 things repaired that need it. Just waiting for the world to open up again.

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Musician's Friend is doing a Stupid Deal of the Hour today (usually it's per day). Had a nice deal on the DS-1 but that expired. Current deal for the 1:00p slot is:

GDU26C Grateful Dead Concert Ukulele Filmore
The Alvarez Grateful Dead Ukulele Series brings you authentic, licensed Grateful Dead artwork presented on a fantastic, handmade concert Ukulele with a warm open tone.

The graphic for GDU26C-Filmore features a design based on imagery created by Tim Truman for the album Dave’s Picks Volume 6, which was recorded in two parts at the Filmore
... Read More

Your Price $69.99

--------------------------------------------
Because nothing says the Dead and the Fillmore more than a uke

Yeesh 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Musician's Friend is doing a Stupid Deal of the Hour today (usually it's per day). Had a nice deal on the DS-1 but that expired. Current deal for the 1:00p slot is:

GDU26C Grateful Dead Concert Ukulele Filmore
The Alvarez Grateful Dead Ukulele Series brings you authentic, licensed Grateful Dead artwork presented on a fantastic, handmade concert Ukulele with a warm open tone.

The graphic for GDU26C-Filmore features a design based on imagery created by Tim Truman for the album Dave’s Picks Volume 6, which was recorded in two parts at the Filmore
... Read More

Your Price $69.99

--------------------------------------------
Because nothing says the Dead and the Fillmore more than a uke

Yeesh 

No joke, a few years ago I bought a uke in Jet green.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:05 PM, The Crimson King said:

verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice ! Actually one of the prettiest jazz basses I've ever seen

what are you playing it through? Any FX?

Thank you!  I agree.  Saw it and had to buy it.  It was a great deal, so that is a bonus.

Here are most of my pedals.  Missing the old stuff that I don’t really use anymore.  Nothing bass specific, as I am not really a bass player.  I just like jamming with a little of everything.  I haven’t had a bass in about 5 years.  The combinations I have tried so far have all sounded great.  Need some sort of pedal board, but I switch things up often, so not sure what to use. As for bass amps, nothing special, need to upgrade here at some point.  But I also do a lot if recording straight into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and imac.  

5567589F-EFBD-4F02-B055-98AA3DA18ABF.jpeg

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• 4 weeks later...
new toy coming next week 
not sure how useful it will be but it was cheap on SDOTD. Wife says that I would buy feces it was half price on a sale. Well you never know when you could use some feces. 
anyone with any advice?

Mothership2.png.88dd43963b12f5bc9ebb0cc111ac6899.png

Advice? Smoke weed. Lots of it. Then play really cool riffs while twisting knobs in all sorts of random combinations of fun until you find it sounds like a gorilla wet farting into an electrified fence. That’s the brown sound ?.

All seriousness you should just explore sounds in it, see what u like. And smoke weed.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Little off topic... but for you guys who play guitar, where would you rank the difficulty of this piece. I would call it upper intermediate-low advanced.

@Snell41 @The Crimson King @munchmemory@HighPitch

I'd call it "way the f*ck out of my skill level".  lol   You have the skill level properly categorized.

Absolutely love Croce's old Gibson.  

• Upvote 1

Little off topic... but for you guys who play guitar, where would you rank the difficulty of this piece. I would call it upper intermediate-low advanced.
[mention=28812]Snell41[/mention] [mention=32104]The Crimson King[/mention] [mention=28492]munchmemory[/mention][mention=29137]HighPitch[/mention]
[/url]  

Being truthful I could probably figure out the song quickly but that does not take anything away from the quality or beauty of the piece. I think you ranked it properly. Great song, as a songwriter I could only imagine the joy of watching your child from the heavens as he/she plays and sings a song you wrote.

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2020 at 8:02 PM, The Crimson King said:

new toy coming next week 

not sure how useful it will be but it was cheap on SDOTD. Wife says that I would buy feces it was half price on a sale. Well you never know when you could use some feces. 

anyone with any advice?

Mothership2.png

I have played around with the original mothership.  Was very cool!

• Upvote 1

Hey gang - just picked up the Guitar again, just went out and bought a new acoustic.  Nothing fancy just an Ibanez. 

It's been probably about 20 years since I've played and I was still a beginner when I stopped.  I had a college gf who was a musician and she taught me a few songs, so I know like A, G, D, E, C and can play some easy songs, mostly easy punk songs with 3 chord progressions that I was listening too back then.  She started teaching me some tougher chords and some barre chords (I really struggled with those) and then when we split and I stopped playing.

Any suggestions on how to pick it back up?  Online?  Books?  Apps? etc.

Right now I'm learning some songs and watching some stuff on Youtube but not sure if I'm taking the right approach.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Right now I'm learning some songs and watching some stuff on Youtube but not sure if I'm taking the right approach.  

A great way to start...SO MUCH there available...

https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

does lessons type stuff...   the second guy will just mostly SHOW you how he plays hundreds of different songs

very low key dude, from BUffalo if I am not mistaken...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA6bULZXVv6kC5J6vpGBdDQ

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Hey gang - just picked up the Guitar again, just went out and bought a new acoustic.  Nothing fancy just an Ibanez. 

It's been probably about 20 years since I've played and I was still a beginner when I stopped.  I had a college gf who was a musician and she taught me a few songs, so I know like A, G, D, E, C and can play some easy songs, mostly easy punk songs with 3 chord progressions that I was listening too back then.  She started teaching me some tougher chords and some barre chords (I really struggled with those) and then when we split and I stopped playing.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Lyrics, chords and how to play those chords on just about any song you can think of. You can even transpose to taste and ease.

Just print out and try 'em. Eventually you build up quite a collection and you learn all the chords along the way. 

The key is practicing, If it is a work-like chore, it will be hard to get much better, If it is fun, then you will eventually grow into it and this instrument is for you.

This, of course, is followed by the final step when you buy 20-30 high end electrics, about 5 tube amps (you'll need at least one of each size) and maybe 80-90 pedals of all sorts. :)

I really hope you enjoy it and get addicted, but beware, there is no cure

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JiF said:

Very cool.  Have fun on the never ending journey.

Years back (decades actually), I remember stumbling on this chord progression.  It was before YouTube, so unless you had a hip teacher, most of us had to figure this stuff on our own.  Learning the Cadd9 and Dsus4 opened up a bunch of new songs for me, especially those of The Who.  Takes some practice anchoring your pinky and ring finger, but it's worth it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys!  I dont plan on putting it down.  I'm the type, when I commit, I go all in.  I've had the guitar for a week and probably play it on average an hour a day. Some of the chords are hard and barre chords are super hard but I'm enjoying learning some easy songs with easy progressions; Free Fallin, a bunch of Social D and the Clash, some old bubblegum type rock songs, some Clapton...etc.  Started trying some Bowie but some of his stuff is super advanced...or at least fells it.

My goal is to get as strong at chord transitions as possible and then start trying more challenging tunes.  My fingers arent very flexible, I've learned, which is making things a bit challenging. 

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Thanks guys!  I dont plan on putting it down.  I'm the type, when I commit, I go all in.  I've had the guitar for a week and probably play it on average an hour a day. Some of the chords are hard and barre chords are super hard but I'm enjoying learning some easy songs with easy progressions; Free Fallin, a bunch of Social D and the Clash, some old bubblegum type rock songs, some Clapton...etc.  Started trying some Bowie but some of his stuff is super advanced...or at least fells it.

My goal is to get as strong at chord transitions as possible and then start trying more challenging tunes.  My fingers arent very flexible, I've learned, which is making things a bit challenging. 

justinguitar is probably more thorough and helpful for beginners

this dude is more intermediate/advanced once you get there..

https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulDavids/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the videos guys!  They've all been helpful and I've been able to take a little bit from everyone. 

This is what I'm doing tell me if it's a good plan, I really do appreciate the feedback. I started to push myself and learn the barre chords and scaling because of the songs/artists I really want to be able to play but I think I'm a little too ambitious as I was getting discouraged by not sounding good.  So I'm really focused on just getting really good at chord progressions.  I'm still a little sloppy with some particular transitions (especially anything involving F) and I feel like I need to get really good at that before I move on.

So I just worked on easy 3/4 chord progression songs.  A lot of Social D.  Clash. and various fun sounding acoustic punk rock songs/easy sing alongs.  Some of the easy Petty stuff; Free Fallin, Wont back down, running down a dream, learning to fly, etc.

Now I'm working on some harder chord progression stuff and different strumming techniques with in them; Santeria, Mr. Jones, Redemption Song, Space Oddity, Tangerine, Plush.  Some require a quick barre or scale which I think is helping me get a slower intro to those techniques but now I'm stopping there and just practicing those songs over and over again to nail down the progressions. 

Feedback?  Good plan?  Any suggestions? 

On 8/5/2020 at 11:13 AM, JiF said:

Should I slow down learning songs and go back to just practicing chords/barre/scales, etc?  

learning songs should take care of practicing and learning chords. 

Scales are a different thing though. Simplest answer  and most fun way to do that is learn the pentatonic to start (easy peasy, just google it), get a looper pedal and jam with yourself. Is that Ibanez an electric acoustic? 

12 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

learning songs should take care of practicing and learning chords. 

Scales are a different thing though. Simplest answer  and most fun way to do that is learn the pentatonic to start (easy peasy, just google it), get a looper pedal and jam with yourself. Is that Ibanez an electric acoustic? 

Cool, that's what I figured.

Yes, it is electric acoustic.