prime21

Jets interested in Fowler Jr.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Darron Lee and a 5th for Fowler. 

Hewitt or Minter can start. And they get Lee who probably fits their defense better. 

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Darron Lee has 1-2 years left on his contract. They may be able to pull off a straight up trade which would be incredible. 

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The world of Jet Nation where I’ve seen some ridiculous trade scenarios lately. The only “bonus” to Lee is that he has more time left on his rookie deal and if they are fed up with Fowler, maybe that levels the trading playing field. It would clearly be a pick for Fowler but I just want Lee gone and to salvage whatever value we can. This is what you may call “wishful thinking” but not realistic.

What on earth makes you think they want Lee? not only that, but they're fine -- more than fine -- at ILB. Are you interested in some spun out LB from DET? or another random underachieving corner from OAK? no. So why do you think they would just "take" Lee

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Once in a generation or so, we get a trade like CLE taking Brett Ratliff, Abram Elam and some other scrub I can't even remember to let us move up from 13 to 5 in the first round.  People sometimes forget that there's only one CLE in the league.

Tom Coughlin

Look at that bend... those hands.... Ohh yesss.... GET ME MY GATOR.

JT3JYU0.gif

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That’s all I’m trying to say. I’ve bashed Lee plenty of times and I’m not a fan. Just bringing up a point. I don’t know how much more clear I have to be. 

Never bring up Lee again. There, problem solved. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't get the obsession with Fowler. WHY? 

He has off field issues. Currently suspended. 

He is often injured. 

His production has been decent but nothing to get too excited about. 4 sacks in 2016, 8 in 2017. 

This is a contract year for him. So he may walk next year. 

Best case scenario the Jets trade for him, he has a very good year and stays healthy, and the Jets have to give him a ton of money to keep him. They can also just wait until next year and try to make a move for him then as a FA. Yes, I get that the Jags can franchise him, etc. But they probably will not. 

Lets take a step back from hyperbole and absolutism. It's not black and white or worst/best decision. It's just A decision. 1 option. 

Facts: 

• Fowler is a better option than all our OLBs combined. 
  • If he DIDN'T have the concerns you mentioned, he'd already have been extended and untouchable. 
  • You have to accept that unless you draft Von Miller, or pay him 100 million guarantee -- the only Pass Rushers you're going to get come up with some concerns/inconsistencies. 
  • What better way to decided on that big $$ contract next year, than to take him for a few laps in 2018 and see how he does. 
  • Again, we desperately need a pass rush. Leo & co. have shown us time and time again, it's not going to happen organically otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

All you gotta do is draft a pass rusher and get a but lucky. Teams do it ALL the time and come away with studs. 

Fowler is a better option ONLY if he stays healthy and doesn't get suspended. That's the rub. If Fowler had 8 sacks and didn't have previous injury issues and other off field concerns BELIEVE ME, the Jags would hesitate to pay him big money. Because 8 sacks is not all that impressive. Not if you are going to invest a ton of money into a player. Last year there were 30 players in the NFL with more sacks than Fowler. Just saying. 

I believe the Jets should either draft a Pass Rusher next year or sign a proven pass rusher in FA rather than trading away assets for one. And hey, that's JMHO.  

Lol, dude. I like you, and seem like a sensible guy.... wake up my friend. the hit rate on Pass Rushers is less that something like 20%. Not the Jenkins variety we presently roster. The Abraham, Freeney, Miller, etc variety, who are debateably harder to hit on than QBs. 

"Teams do it all the time, and come away with studs"

no they don't. They really, really don't.

They often reach in the first 2 rounds and end up with UNDER-PERFORMING prospects like Leo Floyd. Kevin Dodd. Dante Fowler. Shane Ray.  Bud Dupree (remember that fcking guy), Jarvis Jones, Marcus Smith, Dee Ford etc etc etc 

Unless you're landing THE TOP pass rush prospect, then it's a dice-roll. A bad one.  

Solution; try everything. Sign FAs, trade for Fowlers, draft one if you can. 

Agreed, the hit rate is low,  but the Jets haven’t even really stepped to the plate when it comes to drafting edge rushers though.  Plus it’s not like they have hit a bunch of home runs with their drafting of other defensive positions early in the draft.  I would rather them swing and miss trying to draft edge guys instead of missing on safeties and small ILBers.  

Don’t think anyone would disagree with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Can’t believe you didn’t mention Vernon Gholston

repressed trauma!!

• Haha 1

Here's a perfect exemplar of what "reaching" for a passrusher to "just draft one" looks like 4/5 times with these fringe round 1 tweaners

Eli Harold, a popular recipient of "scoop him up in the 2nd, kid's a stud"  Jet Nation love.

Eli Harold - LB - Lions

Lions acquired LB Eli Harold from the 49ers in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick.

Harold started 10 games for the Niners last year but was graded by Pro Football Focus as one of the worst outside linebackers in the league. His absence now makes Dekoda Watson the likely starter opposite WLB Malcolm Smith in the 49ers' defense. Harold will compete for a roster spot in Detroit.

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s because he’s playing OLB in a 4-3 with Minny.  Put him outside in a 3-4 and he’ll get to the QB.  

Bingo

If I'm JAX and money isn't a serious problem -- what's the incentive to dealing Fowler? They're all in on a SB this year, and can't have enough P.Rushers, regardless if he's not long on the roster. Have to offer them something north of a 4th i bet -- which also means the team would have to be comfortable doing extension. 3rd is too pricey for someone you don't plan on hanging on to... 

tough combo. 

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company