prime21

Jets interested in Fowler Jr.

16 hours ago, PepPep said:

All you gotta do is draft a pass rusher and get a but lucky. Teams do it ALL the time and come away with studs. 

Fowler is a better option ONLY if he stays healthy and doesn't get suspended. That's the rub. If Fowler had 8 sacks and didn't have previous injury issues and other off field concerns BELIEVE ME, the Jags would hesitate to pay him big money. Because 8 sacks is not all that impressive. Not if you are going to invest a ton of money into a player. Last year there were 30 players in the NFL with more sacks than Fowler. Just saying. 

I believe the Jets should either draft a Pass Rusher next year or sign a proven pass rusher in FA rather than trading away assets for one. And hey, that's JMHO.  

I think it has to do with a combination of things, but the summary is they simply don't need him.

3 of his teammates had 8-15 sacks apiece last year, plus they still have Miles Jack who'd surprise nobody if he had 8-10 himself next year. Between the headaches he brings and his injury history and simply not needing him, in their spot I wouldn't exercise his 5th yr option either. Not at $14.2m anyway; all it takes is one injury Fowler nurses and that $ becomes guaranteed.

Yeah sure 8 sacks in the reg season isn't rewriting record books of course, but he wasn't even on the field half the time for Jax. Would he have had more sacks if so many others didn't get to the QB first or if he was starting? Maybe, maybe not.

In the end, he's just a far bigger need here than there. We have no one and he's a talented guy who's attainable so it's worth the risk if the price is right. That's all this chatter is about. It'd fit very neatly if we flipped TB for him and he worked out, filling the edge rusher position with a recent top 3 draft pick, instead of borrowing unneeded TB for 1 season, while leaving our own 2019 1st & 3rd rounders intact. Possibly even getting another pick back.

Plus the time to acquire him is before he's reached his potential, not after (at which point he'd be unavailable anyhow).

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

BTW a quick Google search will list some players whose teams have recently been thrown out of practice.

Julian Edelman & Stephon Gilmore, DeAndre Hopkins, Evan Engram & Eli Apple, Kyle Long, etc.

If that's a serious reason for staying away from Fowler, it isn't a reason.

• Being a constant/major locker room cancer (not just him having an issue with someone specific) is a reason.
  • Being a bad football player is a reason.

Things getting heated up as these guys are knocking into each other, where the coach then kicks him off the field for the rest of a practice to cool off before it escalates even worse? Meh.

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

While I agree with you that Jacksonville doesnt need Fowler and that fighting isnt a big deal, the issue is he wasnt fighting an offensive player he was going against, he was fighting Ngakoue who is their best player at the same position fowler plays.

I also think Fowler would be a much better fit in a true 3-4 OLB role then as a 4-3 DE.  Hes not big enough to be a DE.

I don’t see that as an issue either on its face. A person isn’t only allowed to get into fights with low-level scrubs on the other side of the ball. Who knows what they were fighting about, or who egged on whom? First off in this case it wasn’t even on the field so the position makes no difference; they were shouting at each other and no punches were thrown. Fowler may very well be a hothead that we want no part of; I haven’t followed his career closely at all. It certainly seemed like he was having a bad day at a minimum.

However 6’3”/255 is certainly big enough to be a 4-3 DE. Even less of an issue if your other DE is a bigger end (e.g. Leo).

So... if you had otherwise strict 43 personnel (e.g. a few 225-235-pound LBers and a good, gap-shooting type DT or two), you’d be looking to make changes to get rid of both your DEs named Yannick Ngakoue and Khalil Mack because they’re too small. Duly noted, lol. Call me up first when you want to make a trade ;)

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Depends on who and why.  All players or their situations arent the same.  Just because a good guy is tossed as an example or for a somewhat minor infraction doesnt put them all on the same level

Fowler didn’t throw a punch. As I said above, it seems he was having a bad day. I don’t know, maybe he’s a loon. But on its face getting a 2-day vacation to cool your head, and to separate you from the (noticeably better) guy you were jawing with, isn’t the automatic disqualifier some are making it out to be.

17 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I would agree with this assessment however,  you have to factor in why these players are being thrown out of practice. In Fowlers case, it's being thrown out of practice by a respected NFL front office guy like Coughlin and following it up with an epic roadside meltdown that as lucky no one was seriously injured or worse with road rage.. Are these the type of decision making skills that Fowler possesses? Is it worth the risk of bringing him into out already fragile locker room that includes Robbie Anderson and a multiple DWI offender who drove through the Lincoln tunnel the wrong way? I'm not is saying that I am totally against this potential move but I am not giving up a trading chip like Teddy Bridgewater for him. 

How many other times has this happened? If it’s somewhat common/regular, then I agree with you he’s not worth the headache.

Seems to me it was verbal sparring, and they were going on the road for a 2-team practice and this seemed the easier, less-embarrassing way of handling it: to take one and not the other. With that decided, Coughlin/Marrone weren’t about to also leave starter Ngakoue home as well just to do it. I don’t know, maybe those 2 just hate each other. Their yelling + hold-me-back-Charlie event happened after practice was over.

He may very well be a total nut who lashes out at anyone he thinks looks at him wrong, but that hasn’t been established. Based on the info we have I think people are reading way too much into it. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fowler brought his GF and baby momma together and refereed a fight between the two. Hes a bad guy, no matter how much we want 8 sacks 

Theres a reason the Jags want to dump a 3rd year player, a 3rd pick in the draft after only 2 seasons.  Its not because hes misunderstood or a Ingram, Hopkins or Long

Really? Lol.

Well whatever. We all saw the footage of an out-of-control Lee with his girlfriend, when Leo intervened. Yet people still defend him like he’s a saint, and he isn’t even a particularly good player either.

I think people are just selectively outraged. Actually I don’t think it, I know it. We all know it.

They want to dump him because they don’t need him, and if they can get something for him - exactly like the Jets with Teddy Bridgewater - why hold onto him as a backup for 1 year when you can get a starter in return? That’s how I see it. 

Whos defending Lee and what would that have to do with it?  If Lee did anything this bad then it would be two POSs, not one.  

Its not selectively outraged, its a horrible situation that he put himself in and shows what kind of dirt bag he is.  He didnt get pissed at someone and overreacted, like when he beat a guys face in over a driving incident.  This was someone who brought his GF and baby momma together to fight.  Youre seriously going to try and make a case for people are being selectively outraged?  Really?  Hes garbage, has proven it more than a few times.  

They want to dump him because hes a POS. Theyre said to want to move him after another incident, not because another player is playing well and they dont need him and his salary.  Youve lumped him normal players and situations to satisfy you wanting him, not out of what he is and brings to the table.  Please stop comparing him to others who arent problems.  its not like the Jets wanting to move TB, a player who isnt needed.   

Yes. A 230-pound gym rat about to pummel his petite GF - if that's the end that Leo prevented - is worse than a loon who's going to referee a fight between 2 women who want to fight over him. Both are bad, and both are probably mental, but one act would be worse.

Again, you don't know all their reasons no matter how much you profess to know it all. They can't keep everyone. They have a choice of keeping him for 1 year and getting nothing, or getting something for him now (including maybe a QB upgrade since Bortles is so hit or miss and they're contenders right now). 

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Is he doing the punching? No. 

Lee looked like he was going to rip her head off himself. Leo saved him because he's actually a decent person who isn't clearly mental.

• Upvote 1

Again, youre tyring to make a case for someone by anothers behavior.  Lee has nothing to do with Fowler.  Lee is a Jet who even if he turns out to be a POS nothing in his past shows him in that light, wasnt a flag not to bring him in.

Fowles a completely different case.  Youre trying to convince people to use draft assets to bring someone in who is a known POS.  Not the same in any way shape or form.  I dont agree, youre entitled to your opinion and you have your own standards for bringing in players. 

I'm making the case because you're bringing character into it. Meanwhile I don't see you whining that we should dump Lee because he's demonstrated he's mental and quite likely abusive. If anything you come to this asshat's rescue when he gets badmouthed by anyone.

• Refereeing a match makes him look like an asshat, but going after a petite woman is worse.
  • One looks like major insecurity and immaturity; the other looks like someone who doesn't know basic right from wrong.

Assets are assets. Draft assets are not inherently more valuable than $ assets (especially draft "assets" after round 1 with this GM). It's all relative. There are high draft picks and low draft picks; high $ and low $. The same person constantly cooing and drooling over a GM who's handed out a quarter of a billion dollars in bad contracts and screwed up so many draft picks, is now being selectively outraged about the loss of "draft assets" when that's been the norm here for years. 

Take note: no one is giving up a #6 overall pick for Teddy Bridgewater, so don't worry about draft assets for Macc. Likewise, nobody is advocating trading our 1st round pick for Fowler. So this is all in your head. And all I said is if we were to make this move and fill our edge rusher hole, while keeping our 1st rounder, it would solve that problem very neatly. To you, because you are an inherently dishonest person, this translates to trying to convince people to use draft assets to bring in a known POS.

I could flip your logic back onto you: you're not advocating we trade Lee, so therefore you're advocating we use (bypass) draft assets to keep a known POS. 

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are you serious, Is he punching?  SO youre ok with this. And assaulting a driver?  You bring up Lees size NOW?  Hes a small player who now is a 230 lb gym rat?  LOL  And Fowlers what, small?  Who were not guessing might have hit someone, was arrested for an assault.  Good to know what were dealing with here.  Youre comparing this tape to a player who was cleared of doing anything, because a teammate had to separate him and his GF and youre guessing that Lee was going to rip her head off?   

He is small and weak for a linebacker.

He is huge and strong compared to a petite woman.

I could teach a potato chip to grasp this simple concept.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Again, youre tyring to make a case for someone by anothers behavior.  Lee has nothing to do with Fowler.  Lee is a Jet who even if he turns out to be a POS nothing in his past shows him in that light, wasnt a flag not to bring him in.

Fowles a completely different case.  Youre trying to convince people to use draft assets to bring someone in who is a known POS.  Not the same in any way shape or form.  I dont agree, youre entitled to your opinion and you have your own standards for bringing in players. 

I'm not trying to make that case, even though you would like to frame it that way. 

I'm making the case that your personal assessment on the subject is meaningless since you have little to say when it's someone else. Selective outrage.

Me? I think they're both probably mental.

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How petite?  Most women are petite next to NFL defensive players, so?   Shes not even in the video where you imagine punches and ripping off of a head.  Youre desperately spinning this into Fowler vs Lee not that Fowler is a POS that some of us are afraid of bringing onto this team.  Thats the point, not what Lee did or didnt do, thats a spin to defend your case for Fowler, nice try though

rofl

yeah he's a prince

43 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Really not sure how  you took me saying Fowler is a better fit in a 3-4 as saying I would want to get rid of Kahil Mack and Ngakoue - those guys are fine to play DE at 250 because they have elite speed, something Fowler doesnt have.  But ok

I thought you said he was too small to play 43 DE. You didn't mention speed. I'm not a mindreader. 

But if you're going by combine times (all I have), in a dead sprint Fowler (4.56) ran the 40 the same as Mack (4.55) and faster than Ngakoue (4.68).

I don't know if he's lost a step after his rookie injury. Could be, but I'd be lying if I said I've watched him closely and regularly these past 2 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, youre clouding the issue by bringing in Lee as if him yelling at his girlfriend or whatever else you want to escalate it into exonerates Fowler into the realm of selective outrage.  

Fowler sounds like an asshat but he didn't go after either of those two women and didn't lose control of himself. 

You're the one who introduced that scumbaggery to disqualify Fowler outright. You've had little to say about even worse scumbaggery by Lee, who was physically going after a much smaller woman and needed to be physically restrained (by someone who knew him well and could see where it was going if he didn't).

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you dont have a friggen clue what he is, just are bringing him down to make a case for Fowler.  Isnt a good thing Sperm, its actually a lot worse.  Of course youre not trying to convince anyone, ROFLOL

You don't know what he is either. Unlike you, though, I don't claim to. 

You've got a video of him decidedly not out of control as referee, and that he got into a yelling match with a teammate after practice. The height of your own inferences based on these 2 events is disproportionate when one considers your comparative silence vs someone like Lee.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Getting kicked out of practice?  No big whoop.  Getting suspended a week?  That is a little concerning.  I guess you can hang your hat on Ramsey getting suspended the same amount of time for twitter-backing him.  That and the fact that Tom Coughlin is no stranger to ridiculous overreaction.

Was it a week? I thought it was 2 days and they just didn't take him to Washington(?) because they had a 2-team practice the next day, plus travel etc..

No argument on Coughlin. Didn't he used to fine/bench players if they showed up on time to meetings? As in, being on time is being late. Really being on time is being 5 minutes early. Lol what an ass.

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

What are you talking about K Mack was the only player to be all pro at two positions De and Olb. ( in the same year) K Mack is not only one of the best pass rushers, but he one of the best run defenders.  K Mack can play De in 4-3 ( Raiders are 4-3 defense) ) or play Olb in 3-4 defense.   Also he's 6'3 265 . 

Bruce Irvin 6'3 260 will play De opposite K Mack .  Unlike Mack he isn't as good a run defender , that they will probably bring in a Tank Carradine, or Fadol Brown to,play obvious run downs.

Yes, this was my point if you actually read it. Your indignation is directed at the wrong person.

Raiders fans, lol. 

W00PFZe.jpg

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company