prime21

Jets interested in Fowler Jr.

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We are always on the wrong end of that equation.Abraham, Farrior, Vilma …

Feels like it sometimes, but we traded Keyshawn for 2 1st round picks once.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What on earth makes you think they want Lee? not only that, but they're fine -- more than fine -- at ILB. Do you some spun out LB from DET? or another random underachieving corner from OAK? no. So why do you think they would just "take" Lee

Once in a generation or so, we get a trade like CLE taking Brett Ratliff, Abram Elam and some other scrub I can't even remember to let us move up from 13 to 5 in the first round.  People sometimes forget that there's only one CLE in the league.

All the angst we have felt over the last 15 years (since pre-injury Chad) about the QB position has not gone away.  It has merely shifted to the pass-rush positions.  Personally, I think OL is even more critical right now as next year's draft is supposed to be a big DL crop.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah but we can’t go D no more in the first. We need offense now that Darnold is here. 

If we can parlay Bridgewater into an upgrade on the OLine and maybe solve another spot via FA, it could take some of the pressure off.  I'm not saying go DL, but if that's the BPA by a wide margin (I don't know how much OL talent there even is) I'd like to be able to be flexible.

7 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

They sound no different from jets fans saying “ we should get a 2nd at least for Bridgewater lol

Yeah.  It is.  Here's a Jacksonville article about this. https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/dante-fowler-jr-trade-market/

New York Jets

The New York Jets are in need of a pass rusher — badly. In 2017, the defense recorded a measly 28 sacks as a unit, good for fifth fewest in the NFL. The Jets added Nathan Shepherd in the third round of this year’s draft to fill Mohammed Wilkerson’s role at 5-technique defensive end in their 3-4 scheme, but made no changes to their starters at EDGE.

Enter Dante Fowler. Despite being a backup, Fowler has more sacks (12) in his career than Jordan Jenkins (5.5) and Josh Martin (2.5) — the Jets’ starters at EDGE — combined.

In the Jets scheme, Fowler would be a standing rusher, much like what he did in his college days at the University of Florida, and thrive off of interior pressure from DE Leonard Williams and Shepherd. This seems like a natural fit for Fowler, and considering the Jets’ need at the EDGE position, the Jaguars’ could drive their asking price up.

The Jets currently have a selection in every round of the 2019 draft except for the second, and every round in 2020. The Jaguars could realistically ask for a 2019 4th round pick and perhaps a conditional 6th or 7th in 2020, and the Jets have nearly $82 million in cap space (per Over The Cap) for the 2019 offseason that they could pay Fowler Jr. if they were to extend his contract.

Meanwhile articles in the very same city acknowledge Bridgewater would probably cost at least a 2nd rounder.   https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/8/20/17761174/should-the-jacksonville-jaguars-trade-for-teddy-bridgewater

Bortles is who he is — an inconsistent quarterback who can lose to Arizona one week and win a playoff game on the road in Pittsburgh the next. But this close to the season, is the risk of losing greater by putting a newly signed Bridgewater under center or staying with what you know in Bortles?

If this was a question in March, count me in on signing Teddy. As it stands right now, two weeks out from the regular season opener, I think Blake offers the greater chance of success for the team this year.

And if Jacoby Brissett is worth a reported second round draft pick, how much is Bridgewater worth? I don’t think the risk of Bortles being so bad that he’s benched is worth what would likely take a first round pick to get him as a backup.

Only some Jets fans think Fowler is worth as much as Bridgewater.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

So we can drop Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams pick up fowler and become a better team? I don't think you are selling Adams and Leo short.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

That's a change.  Usually we just sell Darron Lee short.  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company