Jets interested in Fowler Jr.

prime21

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Like Wilkerson in 2017?  I am fine with the idea of bringing in Fowler, but the cost should not be very high.  Jacksonville didn't use the 5th year option and if they thought they could get something real for him they certainly would have.  He has been causing plenty of trouble and this team has not handled that so well recently.

Wilkerson didn’t have 8 sacks or even put in effort after his acl injury  . So that’s interesting comparison 

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Was it a week? I thought it was 2 days and they just didn't take him to Washington(?) because they had a 2-team practice the next day, plus travel etc..

No argument on Coughlin. Didn't he used to fine/bench players if they showed up on time to meetings? As in, being on time is being late. Really being on time is being 5 minutes early. Lol what an ass.

It was announced as a week.  I have no idea what he actually served.

18 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He would have preferred a decent stable OL to protect his knee no? I’m sure he would have preferred more than 1 mil in guarantee no ? Jets could still cut him before first game and only lose 1 million for him trying out all summer.. I feel bad for the guy, was really a sh*tty market for him despite him working out on the knee, ect.. I’m glad the jets gave him a shot.. 

So you’re saying he had better options for teams with better offensive lines and weaker QB competition, but he went with the Jets for some crazy reason?   

Can you list all the teams with those attributes?

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Depends on who and why.  All players or their situations arent the same.  Just because a good guy is tossed as an example or for a somewhat minor infraction doesnt put them all on the same level.   By all indications this is a bad guy, putting him in the same boat as others doesnt change that.  Any team is going to be leery of bringing this ****nut onto their team

That all this misbehavior is happening in his contract year is a bad sign.   Most players get that their next contract will be better if they are playing well and good citizens

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t see that as an issue either on its face. A person isn’t only allowed to get into fights with low-level scrubs on the other side of the ball. Who knows what they were fighting about, or who egged on whom? First off in this case it wasn’t even on the field so the position makes no difference; they were shouting at each other and no punches were thrown. Fowler may very well be a hothead that we want no part of; I haven’t followed his career closely at all. It certainly seemed like he was having a bad day at a minimum.

However 6’3”/255 is certainly big enough to be a 4-3 DE. Even less of an issue if your other DE is a bigger end (e.g. Leo).

So... if you had otherwise strict 43 personnel (e.g. a few 225-235-pound LBers and a good, gap-shooting type DT or two), you’d be looking to make changes to get rid of both your DEs named Yannick Ngakoue and Khalil Mack because they’re too small. Duly noted, lol. Call me up first when you want to make a trade ;)

What are you talking about K Mack was the only player to be all pro at two positions De and Olb. ( in the same year) K Mack is not only one of the best pass rushers, but he one of the best run defenders.  K Mack can play De in 4-3 ( Raiders are 4-3 defense) ) or play Olb in 3-4 defense.   Also he's 6'3 265 . 

Bruce Irvin 6'3 260 will play De opposite K Mack .  Unlike Mack he isn't as good a run defender , that they will probably bring in a Tank Carradine, or Fadol Brown to,play obvious run downs.

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

What are you talking about K Mack was the only player to be all pro at two positions De and Olb. ( in the same year) K Mack is not only one of the best pass rushers, but he one of the best run defenders.  K Mack can play De in 4-3 ( Raiders are 4-3 defense) ) or play Olb in 3-4 defense.   Also he's 6'3 265 . 

Bruce Irvin 6'3 260 will play De opposite K Mack .  Unlike Mack he isn't as good a run defender , that they will probably bring in a Tank Carradine, or Fadol Brown to,play obvious run downs.

Yes, this was my point if you actually read it. Your indignation is directed at the wrong person.

Raiders fans, lol. 

W00PFZe.jpg

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

That all this misbehavior is happening in his contract year is a bad sign.   Most players get that their next contract will be better if they are playing well and good citizens

That always scares me.  Behave and you make millions.   And somehow he can't.  How can you not just walk the straight and narrow with all that money on the line?  No discipline or dedication to your own career 

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Were you the guy Raider90210 on JI who used to call me an idiot in 2008 because I made fun of the raiders for taking Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson?

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

So you’re saying he had better options for teams with better offensive lines and weaker QB competition, but he went with the Jets for some crazy reason?   

Can you list all the teams with those attributes?

Lol no. I’m saying just the opposite. He didn’t have other options. 

Here's a perfect exemplar of what "reaching" for a passrusher to "just draft one" looks like 4/5 times with these fringe round 1 tweaners

Eli Harold, a popular recipient of "scoop him up in the 2nd, kid's a stud"  Jet Nation love.

Eli Harold - LB - Lions

Lions acquired LB Eli Harold from the 49ers in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick.

Harold started 10 games for the Niners last year but was graded by Pro Football Focus as one of the worst outside linebackers in the league. His absence now makes Dekoda Watson the likely starter opposite WLB Malcolm Smith in the 49ers' defense. Harold will compete for a roster spot in Detroit.

Why I WOULD give up a #1 for Mack Just look at the picks that they have WASTED trying to fill that gap since our last true pass rusher 2000 RD 1-John Abraham. and Shaun Ellis 

2002 RD 1-Bryan Thomas 

2003 RD 1 Dwayne Robertson RD 3 Victor Hobson

2004 RD1 Jonathan Vilma

2005 RD 3 Sione Pouha (not really a pass rusher ) 

2006 RD 3 The Boar Hunter

2007 RD 2 David Harris

2008 RD 1 Vern

2011 RD 1 Wilkerson

2012 RD 1 Quinton Coples

2013 RD 1 Sheldon Richardson

2015 RD 1 Leonard Williams

2016 RD 1 Darron Lee

2018- RD 3 Nathan Shepherd

59 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Why I WOULD give up a #1 for Mack Just look at the picks that they have WASTED trying to fill that gap since our last true pass rusher 2000 RD 1-John Abraham. and Shaun Ellis 

2002 RD 1-Bryan Thomas 

2003 RD 1 Dwayne Robertson RD 3 Victor Hobson

2004 RD1 Jonathan Vilma

2005 RD 3 Sione Pouha (not really a pass rusher ) 

2006 RD 3 The Boar Hunter

2007 RD 2 David Harris

2008 RD 1 Vern

2011 RD 1 Wilkerson

2012 RD 1 Quinton Coples

2013 RD 1 Sheldon Richardson

2015 RD 1 Leonard Williams

2016 RD 1 Darron Lee

2018- RD 3 Nathan Shepherd

Our drafts have been a horror show but jets fans think we might get lucky next year 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, Paradis said:

Here's a perfect exemplar of what "reaching" for a passrusher to "just draft one" looks like 4/5 times with these fringe round 1 tweaners

Eli Harold, a popular recipient of "scoop him up in the 2nd, kid's a stud"  Jet Nation love.

So this is worse than not having a pass rusher at all? 

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

Should immediately pivot to Fowler Jr. Send them the 3rd rounder we got for Teddy and be done with it

Manish Mehta‏ @MMehtaNYDN

Expect the Jets to be aggressive suitors for Jaguars edge rusher Dante Fowler, Jr.... next year in free agency (assuming he stays on the straight and narrow path). Unless JAX is willing to trade him on the relative cheap now (which they are not).

Expect the Jets to be aggressive suitors for Jaguars edge rusher Dante Fowler, Jr.... next year in free agency (assuming he stays on the straight and narrow path). Unless JAX is willing to trade him on the relative cheap now (which they are not).

Ughhh another season of watching the opposing qb have 15 seconds behind their line, our cbs getting torched due to that and giving up 3rd and 10s all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, C Mart said:

Wow didn't even see he tweeted about Fowler. I think they pull the trigger on a 3rd its a similar situation to us and Teddy. We had qb depth,guy on a 1 year deal and flipped him for a 3rd

No one in the NFL is giving charity care to the NY Jets because they need a pass rusher. 
Unfortunately we don't have the fire power to land an edge rusher via a trade and will have to wait until free agency to probably over pay for one. 

That’s not exactly true. I mean, 2-3s to Jacksonville I’m sure does it for Fowler but that’s expensive but we have it

1 minute ago, NYallDay said:

Ughhh another season of watching the opposing qb have 15 seconds behind their line, our cbs getting torched due to that and giving up 3rd and 10s all season.

This is true and this is the reason why our LB's and secondary is always beat like a drum. 

This is true and this is the reason why our LB's and secondary is always beat like a drum. 

Yup. Lack of passrush makes our defense look inept (as does Bowles playing Lee inside instead of OLB) but that’s another argument for a different many of threads

2 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

JMO but I think Mcc will claim or trade for someone today. He might not be a name but someone that can at least be a designated pass rusher that can put some pressure off the edge and then go for a bigger upgrade next years FA/draft

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No one in the NFL is giving charity care to the NY Jets because they need a pass rusher. 

Unfortunately we don't have the fire power to land an edge rusher via a trade and will have to wait until free agency to probably over pay for one. 

Overpay? You mean paying a guy 130 mill in free agency costs more than 130 mill and the picks for any trade?

36 minutes ago, C Mart said:

JMO but I think Mcc will claim or trade for someone today. He might not be a name but someone that can at least be a designated pass rusher that can put some pressure off the edge and then go for a bigger upgrade next years FA/draft

Agree

Think the same happens with a back up LT

1 hour ago, NYallDay said:

I'd love to go grab Fowler now, but even without an edge rusher addition, i expect some decent pressure this season.

The addition of Johnson at CB and our Safties having a year of experience now will allow Bowles to scheme some slick pressure packages.

We love to knock Bowles here, but the guy is a great defensive mind.

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Overpay? You mean paying a guy 130 mill in free agency costs more than 130 mill and the picks for any trade?

Yes overpay to lure in a good edge rusher in free agency other teams will also be in the market as well and we all know what happens when the Jets try and sign a free agent and other teams are also trying. We wind up either overpaying or losing out. CB Trumane Johnson is an example we paid him a lot of money.

Archived