Jets interested in Fowler Jr.

prime21

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetmech said:

I agree. Fowler hasn't done a thing and there is no reason to trade Teddy before the season starts. October 30 is the trade deadline.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would glady take his 8 sacks from last year in exchange for a QB that's not going to be on the roster next year. Although I do understand the off-field presence Fowler brings I think it's a good return on the Teddy investment 

Sources: Jets reach out to Jaguars to gauge interest in their pass rusher Dante Fowler, Jr.

Manish Mehta
AUG 21, 2018 | 9:20 AM

The Jets’ lack of a difference-making pass rusher prompted them to recently explore one very intriguing possibility.

Gang Green reached out to the Jaguars to gauge their interest level in trading uber-talented — and mercurial — defensive end Dante Fowler, Jr., according to sources.

The 24-year-old Fowler, who returned Monday from a week-long suspension for violating team rules and “conduct unbecoming a Jaguars football player” after fights in practice, would be an ideal fit for the Jets, who haven’t been able to generate consistent pressure off the edge in years.

“Well, we don't have the name guy,” Todd Bowles said last week. "We don't have the Lawrence Taylor, so to speak, but we have guys that work hard and are very tough at the point of attack. You don't need a name guy. You just need a guy with production. And the production will make the name. Disrupting the quarterback is the big thing as well as setting the edge. We have certain guys that can do a lot of things right now. We’re mixing and matching to get a feel for what guys can and can't do right now…”

adChoices.png
PAID POSTWhat Is This?
This Car Will Make Design Buffs Swoon: See the Pics
This Car Will Make Design Buffs Swoon: See the Pics

Mazda has always approached car making differently.

SEE MORE

Sponsored Content by  Mazda

The reality is that nobody on the Jets roster has the pedigree or skillset of Fowler, who was the third overall pick of the 2015 draft. After Fowler missed his rookie season with a torn ACL suffered on the first day of rookie minicamp, he had four sacks in 2016.

Last season Fowler flashed some of the pass-rushing talent that had teams — including the Jets — drooling while he was at Florida. He racked up 10 sacks in 2017 (including the playoffs) to help the Jaguars reach the AFC Championship Game.

Dante Fowler Jr. chases Tom Brady during 2018 AFC Championship Game.
Dante Fowler Jr. chases Tom Brady during 2018 AFC Championship Game. (Elsa / Getty Images)

“It's a passing league,” defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said. “You want to stop the run from a defensive philosophy and make teams one-dimensional, but it is a passing league. So, at some point in time, you got to affect the quarterbacks. You have to. It’s important, no doubt. We have to affect the quarterback, but there are a lot of different ways to affect the quarterback. With coverage, with blitz, with mixing it up. It's a combination of things.”

Or with a player like Fowler.

Fowler, however, has had his fair share of off-field incidents. He’s suspended for the first game of this season for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy stemming from three misdemeanor charges during an arrest in 2017.

Jacksonville didn’t pick up Fowler’s fifth-year option (for $14.2 million in 2019).

Fowler would make plenty of sense for the Jets, who would fill their biggest defensive need. But what would it cost?

Would the Jets pony up a premium-round pick for a player who they might be able to get on the open market after the season?

What incentive would the Jaguars, who are legitimate Super Bowl contenders, have to move Fowler for anything other than a king’s ransom?

The Jaguars could theoretically offer Fowler a long-term deal or place the franchise tag on him after the season. They would be in line for a good compensatory pick if Fowler walks in free agency. So, it seems smarter for Jacksonville to hold on to Fowler unless they get bowled over in a deal.

But there’s no harm in the Jets, who have ranked in the bottom 5 in sacks each of the past two seasons, asking.

They could use the help.

Bowles and Rodgers have given Josh Martin, Brandon Copeland, Dylan Donahue and undrafted rookie Frankie Luvu opportunities this summer to grab the outside linebacker job opposite Jordan Jenkins.

“We're kind of finding the right combination of guys,” Rodgers said. “We're seeing… guys getting close. We just have to be more consistent in getting closer more often.”

Getting close isn’t good enough. They need someone to get home.

I think a lot of us are under the false impression that there are a ton of Olinemen on the trade block that can be impact players for us. Unfortunately Fowler is the most impactful player we could add via trade without crippling the future of the franchise(Sorry Khalil Mack fans) Fowler would immediately become the best edge presence and with our cap situation for next year adding and keeping him will allow us to spend big on Oline in free agency and hopefully snag another Olinemen in the 1st round of the draft. 

I would glady take his 8 sacks from last year in exchange for a QB that's not going to be on the roster next year. Although I do understand the off-field presence Fowler brings I think it's a good return on the Teddy investment 
I get it, both will be FA's so in that regard it makes sense but doesn't he play DE in 4-3? Playing OLB in 3-4 is different....

All the angst we have felt over the last 15 years (since pre-injury Chad) about the QB position has not gone away.  It has merely shifted to the pass-rush positions.  Personally, I think OL is even more critical right now as next year's draft is supposed to be a big DL crop.

18 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

I agree. Fowler hasn't done a thing and there is no reason to trade Teddy before the season starts. October 30 is the trade deadline.

Fowler had 8 sacks last year.  Hardly nothing.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

All the angst we have felt over the last 15 years (since pre-injury Chad) about the QB position has not gone away.  It has merely shifted to the pass-rush positions.  Personally, I think OL is even more critical right now as next year's draft is supposed to be a big DL crop.

Yeah but we can’t go D no more in the first. We need offense now that Darnold is here. 

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

oline should be priority 1 2 and 3 in next years draft if ability fits rounds.

Our head coach almost seems disdainful of having a true outside pass rusher and wants to use his 'genius' to create pressure.

11 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

I get it, both will be FA's so in that regard it makes sense but doesn't he play DE in 4-3? Playing OLB in 3-4 is different....

our coach had shel rich playing olb.  Fowler is way more suite to be an olb than Lee

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah but we can’t go D no more in the first. We need offense now that Darnold is here. 

If we can parlay Bridgewater into an upgrade on the OLine and maybe solve another spot via FA, it could take some of the pressure off.  I'm not saying go DL, but if that's the BPA by a wide margin (I don't know how much OL talent there even is) I'd like to be able to be flexible.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Fowler had 8 sacks last year.  Hardly nothing.

He's a great talent, but he brings with a suspension for off the field nonsense and a fight with Jacksonville media which cost him a camp suspension. If he can't handle the Jacksonville media market how will he fair in NY? There is a reason the Jags declined his 2019 contract option. 

I am all for getting Fowler, but I am not paying "fair" value for his talents There has to be a knucklehead discount. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

our coach had shel rich playing olb.  Fowler is way more suite to be an olb than Lee

Fowler is an idiot problem child.  Can’t wait to see him teamed up with empty suit Bowles will he be able to avoid prison?

Oh and he sucks

I’d happily give up Teddy Bridgewater for Fowler and maybe a late round pick, or goce up a 4th or 5th for Fowler.

He would instantly be the best pass rusher we’ve had since John Abraham. That woukd pretty much solidify our Defense for the next few years if we can sign Fowler to an extension.

Next year’s draft and free agency should be all about OLINE and weapons for Darnold. Would love us to draft LT, LG, C to develop under Long, keep the oline young.

Sign as many offensive playmakers as possible for 2019. 

27 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That's possible. Another take is that Coffee in Hand reached out to the Jags and now the Jags are thinking about what they may want in return. Deals take time and sometimes leaks only know so much.

Deals that are not gonna happen get leaked, ones that do happen are already done deals when they get leaked.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

oline should be priority 1 2 and 3 in next years draft if ability fits rounds.

Our head coach almost seems disdainful of having a true outside pass rusher and wants to use his 'genius' to create pressure.

I think our coach believes in coaching the players he has not and never admitting that the team NEEDS player X or Player Y. 

Bowles was defensive coordinator in Arizona with the likes of John Abraham (11 sacks) and Calais Campbell. He knows the value in a pass rusher. The jets have made it clear they are going after a pass rusher, but Macc isn't one to rush into things. So he isn't going to cave to the Jags or Raiders demands until they become more reasonable. 

Fowler is suspended week 1. So there is no rush to get this deal for a couple of more weeks. If the Jags truly don't want Fowler, they will get more and more desperate as the season starts. 

1 hour ago, genot said:

Mac isn't going to give up on Lee, who's going into his third season, and is asked to  do much more than Fowler ever was asked to do. Lee had more tackles in his first four games last year than Fowler did the entire year. Fowler is a pass rusher. That's it. And no, I don't think that Lee has played up to level we expected with the 6th pick.

19th pick?

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Once in a generation or so, we get a trade like CLE taking Brett Ratliff, Abram Elam and some other scrub I can't even remember to let us move up from 13 to 5 in the first round.  People sometimes forget that there's only one CLE in the league.

You can't remember Kenyon Coleman? THE Kenyon Coleman???!!??

:D 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think our coach believes in coaching the players he has not and never admitting that the team NEEDS player X or Player Y. 

Bowles was defensive coordinator in Arizona with the likes of John Abraham (11 sacks) and Calais Campbell. He knows the value in a pass rusher. The jets have made it clear they are going after a pass rusher, but Macc isn't one to rush into things. So he isn't going to cave to the Jags or Raiders demands until they become more reasonable. 

Fowler is suspended week 1. So there is no rush to get this deal for a couple of more weeks. If the Jags truly don't want Fowler, they will get more and more desperate as the season starts. 

Ok Jags want that TBW insurance for Bortles, and Raiders want next years 1st round pick, Jets make both trades, and have Fowler, and Mack bookending Shepherd, Leo, and the rest of the rotational DL, hell I’d change the base to a 2-4-5 swapping in the 5th DB as a 3rd Safety, or 3rd CB depending on opposing personal, on running downs you go with the 3 Safeties running 2 of them down in the box, oh hell who gives a sh*t what D they would run as long as Mack, and Fowler are healthy, and causing havoc off the edge.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Ok Jags want that TBW insurance for Bortles, and Raiders want next years 1st round pick, Jets make both trades, and have Fowler, and Mack bookending Shepherd, Leo, and the rest of the rotational DL, hell I’d change the base to a 2-4-5 swapping in the 5th DB as a 3rd Safety, or 3rd CB depending on opposing personal, on running downs you go with the 3 Safeties running 2 of them down in the box, oh hell who gives a sh*t what D they would run as long as Mack, and Fowler are healthy, and causing havoc off the edge.

Your madden franchise is probably sick

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

have you looked around the league? We got tackles from University of Texas at Anchorage starting for NFL teams... there's no OL depth. Anywhere. There's been veritable drought of quality tackles in the last 5-6 years -- and we wouldn't get a starting OT for a 1st rounder if we tried. 

This

The popularity of gimmicky college offenses has hurt development of offensive line players

34 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Sources: Jets reach out to Jaguars to gauge interest in their pass rusher Dante Fowler, Jr.

AUG 21, 2018 | 9:20 AM

“It's a passing league,” defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said. “You want to stop the run from a defensive philosophy and make teams one-dimensional, but it is a passing league. So, at some point in time, you got to affect the quarterbacks. You have to. It’s important, no doubt. We have to affect the quarterback, but there are a lot of different ways to affect the quarterback. With coverage, with blitz, with mixing it up. It's a combination of things.”
“We're kind of finding the right combination of guys,” Rodgers said. “We're seeing… guys getting close. We just have to be more consistent in getting closer more often.”

This text above does not do anything to help my perception of Rodgers as a DC ... :-( 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jags don’t want Lee in any capacity.  

Why would anyone? He flat out sucks. I get a huge kick out of these guys trading our garbage for legitimate star players LOL, wish I lived in that world..

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bowles was defensive coordinator in Arizona with the likes of John Abraham (11 sacks) and Calais Campbell.

Yeah speaking of Campbell that’s what the Jets we’re supposed to get when they drafted Leo Williams, Campbell basically wrecked havoc on every single play in the playoffs last year for the Jaguars, he pumped up a lot of other guys sack totals, and Fowler is probably one of them, but it’s nice to know when given the opportunity Fowler can capitalize on someone else laying it up for you so you can slam it home like Fowler did vs Brady in the AFCCG last year.

Archived