Jets interested in Fowler Jr.

prime21

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol ! You really think Bridgewater is an idiot ? He signed 3 days before we traded up.. even if he didn’t hear the rumors, he knew we were very likely picking 1 of 4. He is a smart guy, despite half 1 and 1/2 knees

What are you arguing?

Even if he knew, as everyone did, that we would be drafting a QB he has a shot to at least start part of the season and show others he can still play.  T Taylor is starting for at least the early part of the season as the perfect example 

BTW a quick Google search will list some players whose teams have recently been thrown out of practice.

Julian Edelman & Stephon Gilmore, DeAndre Hopkins, Evan Engram & Eli Apple, Kyle Long, etc.

If that's a serious reason for staying away from Fowler, it isn't a reason.

• Being a constant/major locker room cancer (not just him having an issue with someone specific) is a reason.
  • Being a bad football player is a reason.

Things getting heated up as these guys are knocking into each other, where the coach then kicks him off the field for the rest of a practice to cool off before it escalates even worse? Meh.

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

Fair, fair.

Can't argue but...I still want him.

And he still had 8 sacks last season and is only 24 with great physical traits  .. wouldn’t mind him at all myself . Also 2 years removed from that acl injury now . Which is usually when players fully regain form . 

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What are you arguing?

Even if he knew, as everyone did, that we would be drafting a QB he has a shot to at least start part of the season and show others he can still play.  T Taylor is starting for at least the early part of the season as the perfect example 

A poster made the argument when Bridgewater signed it was only Josh McCown on the roster. We traded up to 3 a few days after he signed. I was arguing he is not stupid, he knew even if we were staying at 6 we still highly likely pick a qb. So he knew he had to likely Beat out 2 capable qbs. There were Other teams with a more shaky qb situation he could have went to. Some act like he actually had the option to pick any team he wanted and just so happened to pick us lol. 

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

And he still had 8 sacks last season and is only 24 with great physical traits  .. wouldn’t mind him at all myself . Also 2 years removed from that acl injury now . Which is usually when players fully regain form . 

Like Wilkerson in 2017?  I am fine with the idea of bringing in Fowler, but the cost should not be very high.  Jacksonville didn't use the 5th year option and if they thought they could get something real for him they certainly would have.  He has been causing plenty of trouble and this team has not handled that so well recently.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Like Wilkerson in 2017?  I am fine with the idea of bringing in Fowler, but the cost should not be very high.  Jacksonville didn't use the 5th year option and if they thought they could get something real for him they certainly would have.  He has been causing plenty of trouble and this team has not handled that so well recently.

I agree with this. He's worth a late round flier but there are enough red flags that we shouldn't give up any real assets for someone they clearly have no interest in keeping after this year.

43 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

A poster made the argument when Bridgewater signed it was only Josh McCown on the roster. We traded up to 3 a few days after he signed. I was arguing he is not stupid, he knew even if we were staying at 6 we still highly likely pick a qb. So he knew he had to likely Beat out 2 capable qbs. There were Other teams with a more shaky qb situation he could have went to. Some act like he actually had the option to pick any team he wanted and just so happened to pick us lol. 

The Jets were a good spot for him. He had to believe that he would beat out McCown, and he probably has. The Jets gave him a nice incentive-laden contract and maybe other teams weren't willing to go that high. The total possible value of $15M might be tough to reach, but a lot of playing time and passing yards incentives that would've been very makeable if the rookie the Jets drafted was more Paxton Lynch than Sam Darnold. 

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree. This is a guy Jacksonville just wants to be rid of at this point. The cost should be very low and the Jets shouldn't consider any contract extensions until he behaves for a full year. For a late pick (or part of a Bridgewater deal), taking a flier on a knucklehead who plays a position of glaring need isn't a bad move. If he sucks or is a disrupting force in the locker room or gets into more legal trouble, you just let him go and he becomes another chip in the compensation pick lottery. 

I would add that I care much less about his age than his contract situation.  He will be a free agent this offseason, at best, you get 15 games with him and then have to pay him.  He doesn't seem like the kind of rational guy who is going to say, well my production has not been that great, I will take a reasonable deal.

I believe that age is the single most overrated factor on these boards.  Darnold is barely 21?  Great, but we will still have to sign him in 4-5 years.  We should be thinking in terms of contract years, not years of age. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets were a good spot for him. He had to believe that he would beat out McCown, and he probably has. The Jets gave him a nice incentive-laden contract and maybe other teams weren't willing to go that high. The total possible value of $15M might be tough to reach, but a lot of playing time and passing yards incentives that would've been very makeable if the rookie the Jets drafted was more Paxton Lynch than Sam Darnold. 

He would have preferred a decent stable OL to protect his knee no? I’m sure he would have preferred more than 1 mil in guarantee no ? Jets could still cut him before first game and only lose 1 million for him trying out all summer.. I feel bad for the guy, was really a sh*tty market for him despite him working out on the knee, ect.. I’m glad the jets gave him a shot.. 

We should absolutely buy low on Fowler jr.

Hes a head case, he hasn’t lived up to his potential and the jaguars D is loaded... that’s why he’s available... at 25... at the second most important position in the sport. 

If we can trade a day three pick for him and send off Teddy in the next week or so for a day two pick, then we did some nice business to get better now and plan for the future.  

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Josh may have been on the roster, not sure, its not that important.  The comment was made because you were trying to prove that he wasnt in demand anywhere because if he was why did he pick the Jets and their crowded QB room.  It wasnt crowded, it had a old journeyman QB and would bring in a rookie.  A scenario where if we drafted a Josh Allen he more than likely would sit.  So hed have McCown to beat out.  If half the league was interested in him the Jets could still with that many teams be the best place to land if trying to show the league you were healthy and ready to resume a career.  Not a big deal or that complicated

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Josh may have been on the roster, not sure, its not that important.  The comment was made because you were trying to prove that he wasnt in demand anywhere because if he was why did he pick the Jets and their crowded QB room.  It wasnt crowded, it had a old journeyman QB and would bring in a rookie.  A scenario where if we drafted a Josh Allen he more than likely would sit.  So hed have McCown to beat out.  If half the league was interested in him the Jets could still with that many teams be the best place to land if trying to show the league you were healthy and ready to resume a career.  Not a big deal or that complicated

An “old journeyman “ Who had a very nice year and didn’t look his age, unlike Eli. So you are saying he had a good amount of other offers? Just picked jets and their 1 mil guarantee ?  Lol

22 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He would have preferred a decent stable OL to protect his knee no? I’m sure he would have preferred more than 1 mil in guarantee no ? Jets could still cut him before first game and only lose 1 million for him trying out all summer.. I feel bad for the guy, was really a sh*tty market for him despite him working out on the knee, ect.. I’m glad the jets gave him a shot.. 

Wherever he signed that team could have injuries to their OL and then he could wind up playing behind a horrid line, look at Wash a year ago.  Any team could cut him before the first game, thats on him, not the Jets. 

If he played like garbage or the knee acted up we would be screaming to dump him, not to argue keeping him over getting a nice pick or player in return.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

BTW a quick Google search will list some players whose teams have recently been thrown out of practice.

Julian Edelman & Stephon Gilmore, DeAndre Hopkins, Evan Engram & Eli Apple, Kyle Long, etc.

• Being a constant/major locker room cancer (not just him having an issue with someone specific) is a reason.

Things getting heated up as these guys are knocking into each other, where the coach then kicks him off the field for the rest of a practice to cool off before it escalates even worse? Meh.

While I agree with you that Jacksonville doesnt need Fowler and that fighting isnt a big deal, the issue is he wasnt fighting an offensive player he was going against, he was fighting Ngakoue who is their best player at the same position fowler plays.

I also think Fowler would be a much better fit in a true 3-4 OLB role then as a 4-3 DE.  Hes not big enough to be a DE.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wherever he signed that team could have injuries to their OL and then he could wind up playing behind a horrid line, look at Wash a year ago.  Any team could cut him before the first game, thats on him, not the Jets. 

If he played like garbage or the knee acted up we would be screaming to dump him, not to argue keeping him over getting a nice pick or player in return.

What would you bet on we get for him ? 

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

An “old journeyman “ Who had a very nice year and didn’t look his age, unlike Eli. So you are saying he had a good amount of other offers? Just picked jets and their 1 mil guarantee ?  Lol

You really are just arguing to argue arent you.  You cant even give it a thought that McCown and no other QB was a great landing spot for someone trying to prove himself.  The argument that the Jets werent a good spot for him is so pointless especially because it couldnt have really turned out any better unless he picked a team that by luck their starting QB went down  Really need to just move on

5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

**** no

CA96BF5D-980B-4C3D-A3BA-487EB701E175.jpeg

When all they get is a 3 or 4 for Teddy, if that, have this ready for yourself. You guys are delusional if you think anyone is giving the Jets a 2nd rounder for Teddy. And getting a former #1 pick for Teddy , would be a coup. Granted, Fowler comes with issues but it’s a risk worth taken given his potential and what he would add to this mediocre defense. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

What would you bet on we get for him ? 

I have no idea, who cares what my guess or what anyone elses guesses he'll bring back.  I would think they want to get one of their 2s back, would try and make a case that hes a QB and someone who needs a QB would expect to give up at least a 2 for a QB.  But I have no idea.  I wont bitch if its a three, hell a 4 for someone we signed as a backup plan is still bonus chips

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea, who cares what my guess or what anyone elses guesses he'll bring back.  I would think they want to get one of their 2s back, would try and make a case that hes a QB and someone who needs a QB would expect to give up at least a 2 for a QB.  But I have no idea.  I wont bitch if its a three, hell a 4 for someone we signed as a backup plan is still bonus chips

Fair enough. Of course we want 1 of our 2 back, I don’t see it happening. Lucky for a 4 I think. But hey I hope I’m wrong ha

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I would agree with this assessment however,  you have to factor in why these players are being thrown out of practice. In Fowlers case, it's being thrown out of practice by a respected NFL front office guy like Coughlin and following it up with an epic roadside meltdown that as lucky no one was seriously injured or worse with road rage.. Are these the type of decision making skills that Fowler possesses? Is it worth the risk of bringing him into out already fragile locker room that includes Robbie Anderson and a multiple DWI offender who drove through the Lincoln tunnel the wrong way? I'm not is saying that I am totally against this potential move but I am not giving up a trading chip like Teddy Bridgewater for him. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Fair enough. Of course we want 1 of our 2 back, I don’t see it happening. Lucky for a 4 I think. But hey I hope I’m wrong ha

Exactly, its a free pick.  Of course we're greedy bastards and want the world back but who knows.  Its going to come down to who wants him and why.  If a team loses a starter or thinks TB is a difference maker to the 2018 season he'll bring back a nice return.  If its only a Seattle looking for a 1 year backup to R Wilson we might not get a good offer in return

Best case scenario is trading a late pick for Fowler- he's going into his contract year and I'm sure Coughlin would like to get rid of him, cause he sure as hell can't get rid of Ramsey! Then trade Teddy for a 2 if possible- Pull that off Big Mac after snagging Sam Darnold & I'll ignore your disinterest in the Oline until next offseason.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Depends on who and why.  All players or their situations arent the same.  Just because a good guy is tossed as an example or for a somewhat minor infraction doesnt put them all on the same level.   By all indications this is a bad guy, putting him in the same boat as others doesnt change that.  Any team is going to be leery of bringing this ****nut onto their team

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

While I agree with you that Jacksonville doesnt need Fowler and that fighting isnt a big deal, the issue is he wasnt fighting an offensive player he was going against, he was fighting Ngakoue who is their best player at the same position fowler plays.

I also think Fowler would be a much better fit in a true 3-4 OLB role then as a 4-3 DE.  Hes not big enough to be a DE.

I don’t see that as an issue either on its face. A person isn’t only allowed to get into fights with low-level scrubs on the other side of the ball. Who knows what they were fighting about, or who egged on whom? First off in this case it wasn’t even on the field so the position makes no difference; they were shouting at each other and no punches were thrown. Fowler may very well be a hothead that we want no part of; I haven’t followed his career closely at all. It certainly seemed like he was having a bad day at a minimum.

However 6’3”/255 is certainly big enough to be a 4-3 DE. Even less of an issue if your other DE is a bigger end (e.g. Leo).

So... if you had otherwise strict 43 personnel (e.g. a few 225-235-pound LBers and a good, gap-shooting type DT or two), you’d be looking to make changes to get rid of both your DEs named Yannick Ngakoue and Khalil Mack because they’re too small. Duly noted, lol. Call me up first when you want to make a trade ;)

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Depends on who and why.  All players or their situations arent the same.  Just because a good guy is tossed as an example or for a somewhat minor infraction doesnt put them all on the same level

Fowler didn’t throw a punch. As I said above, it seems he was having a bad day. I don’t know, maybe he’s a loon. But on its face getting a 2-day vacation to cool your head, and to separate you from the (noticeably better) guy you were jawing with, isn’t the automatic disqualifier some are making it out to be.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fowler didn’t throw a punch. As I said above, it seems he was having a bad day. I don’t know, maybe he’s a loon. But on its face getting a 2-day vacation to cool your head, and to separate you from the (noticeably better) guy you were jawing with, isn’t the automatic disqualifier some are making it out to be.

Fowler brought his GF and baby momma together and refereed a fight between the two. Hes a bad guy, no matter how much we want 8 sacks 

Theres a reason the Jags want to dump a 3rd year player, a 3rd pick in the draft after only 2 seasons.  Its not because hes misunderstood or a Ingram, Hopkins or Long

17 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I would agree with this assessment however,  you have to factor in why these players are being thrown out of practice. In Fowlers case, it's being thrown out of practice by a respected NFL front office guy like Coughlin and following it up with an epic roadside meltdown that as lucky no one was seriously injured or worse with road rage.. Are these the type of decision making skills that Fowler possesses? Is it worth the risk of bringing him into out already fragile locker room that includes Robbie Anderson and a multiple DWI offender who drove through the Lincoln tunnel the wrong way? I'm not is saying that I am totally against this potential move but I am not giving up a trading chip like Teddy Bridgewater for him. 

How many other times has this happened? If it’s somewhat common/regular, then I agree with you he’s not worth the headache.

Seems to me it was verbal sparring, and they were going on the road for a 2-team practice and this seemed the easier, less-embarrassing way of handling it: to take one and not the other. With that decided, Coughlin/Marrone weren’t about to also leave starter Ngakoue home as well just to do it. I don’t know, maybe those 2 just hate each other. Their yelling + hold-me-back-Charlie event happened after practice was over.

He may very well be a total nut who lashes out at anyone he thinks looks at him wrong, but that hasn’t been established. Based on the info we have I think people are reading way too much into it. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fowler brought his GF and baby momma together and refereed a fight between the two. Hes a bad guy, no matter how much we want 8 sacks 

Theres a reason the Jags want to dump a 3rd year player, a 3rd pick in the draft after only 2 seasons.  Its not because hes misunderstood or a Ingram, Hopkins or Long

Really? Lol.

Well whatever. We all saw the footage of an out-of-control Lee with his girlfriend, when Leo intervened. Yet people still defend him like he’s a saint, and he isn’t even a particularly good player either.

I think people are just selectively outraged. Actually I don’t think it, I know it. We all know it.

They want to dump him because they don’t need him, and if they can get something for him - exactly like the Jets with Teddy Bridgewater - why hold onto him as a backup for 1 year when you can get a starter in return? That’s how I see it. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Really? Lol.

Well whatever. We all saw the footage of an out-of-control Lee with his girlfriend, when Leo intervened. Yet people still defend him like he’s a saint, and he isn’t even a particularly good player either.

I think people are just selectively outraged. Actually I don’t think it, I know it. We all know it.

They want to dump him because they don’t need him, and if they can get something for him - exactly like the Jets with Teddy Bridgewater - why hold onto him as a backup for 1 year when you can get a starter in return? That’s how I see it. 

Whos defending Lee and what would that have to do with it?  If Lee did anything this bad then it would be two POSs, not one.  

Its not selectively outraged, its a horrible situation that he put himself in and shows what kind of dirt bag he is.  He didnt get pissed at someone and overreacted, like when he beat a guys face in over a driving incident.  This was someone who brought his GF and baby momma together to fight.  Youre seriously going to try and make a case for people are being selectively outraged?  Really?  Hes garbage, has proven it more than a few times.  

They want to dump him because hes a POS. Theyre said to want to move him after another incident, not because another player is playing well and they dont need him and his salary.  Youve lumped him normal players and situations to satisfy you wanting him, not out of what he is and brings to the table.  Please stop comparing him to others who arent problems.  its not like the Jets wanting to move TB, a player who isnt needed.   

Archived