Should Sam Darnold get the start solely on being picked 3rd

JimmyJazz21

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should start based on the fact that neither Teddy or McCown are head and shoulders above him.

Why sit one of the best QB prospects of the last decade in favor of a 39 year old journeyman or a major question mark who has absolutely no future here beyond this season? Just because we don’t have a brick wall of an OL at the moment? It still isn’t the dogsh*t unit that so many in this fanbase have made it out to be. Especially when Beachum and Winters are back in the fold. 

Darnold should start from Day 1 because he’s unquestionably this teams future, he hasn’t looked like he’s in over his head so far, and we need him to take his lumps early so we can potentially field a playoff team within a years time.

Just because he's the number 3 overall pick? Too many factors to consider. In our case our lack of talent on the OLine is what scares me most. Is it worth traumatizing Darnald if he gets pummeled/injured or is it valuable playing time experience no matter what? 

15 minutes ago, JimmyJazz21 said:

I pose a question to all Jets fans would you see yourself being all for restraint and development of young talent if we had not given up so much to take him.  

Only if youre blind and havent noticed how good hes looked everytime we've seen or read about him.

We didnt give so much to get him, we gave what it takes to get a guy who was projected as the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck

Better question, whats with the troll like threads started by first time posters this summer

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

people counting on winters when he is dreck

He’s a solid starting RG when healthy.

Is he worth the $7-8 million a year we’re paying him? Probably not. But it’s not like he’s a glaring weakness along the OL or is a threat to get Darnold decapitated. I’m more worried about Carpenter than Winters.

Darnold should start because he was given a chance to earn the job, and from what I’ve witnessed he has earned the job over McCown, and TBW.

Being the 3rd overall pick probably gave him the chance to earn the job, but it’s not why he has earned it.

Just now, Untouchable said:

He’s a solid starting RG when healthy.

Is he worth the $7-8 million a year we’re paying him? Probably not. But it’s not like he’s a glaring weakness along the OL or is a threat to get Darnold decapitated.

sack/game guard.     he's well below avg.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Darnold should start because he was given a chance to earn the job, and from what I’ve witnessed he has earned the job over McCown, and TBW.

Being the 3rd overall pick probably gave him the chance to earn the job, but it’s not why he has earned it.

I dont think they knew he would win the starting job before OTAs and camp.  Thought the wanted him to, or at least show that he was in the mix but they werent going to hand it to him because he was picked 3rd.  Why would they, doesnt make the pick any less of an investment if he starts a few weeks earlier 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont think they knew he would win the starting job before OTAs and camp.  Thought the wanted him to, or at least show that he was in the mix but they werent going to hand it to him because he was picked 3rd.  Why would they, doesnt make the pick any less of an investment if he starts a few weeks earlier 

Exactly not handed to him, he got a chance to win it, and to me it’s clear he has won.

Sam is competing against himself for this job. He should be thrown in the deep end whenever he's shown that he's capable of not drowning. We don't need him to be Michael Phelps on day one, but he needs to show that he can tread water...

Once he's proven that he can do that, which I think he's done, he should start. 

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Exactly not handed to him, he got a chance to win it, and to me it’s clear he has won.

Even if it were closer or a toss up I give it to Darnold because hes the one who is ascending, will grow with reps. & experience.  The Jets arent going anywhere this year even if they do well its not their time yet.  Might as well get his growing pains over with while the roster still needs improvement before they become a real contender who can win playoff games.

37 minutes ago, JimmyJazz21 said:

I pose a question to all Jets fans would you see yourself being all for restraint and development of young talent if we had not given up so much to take him.  

Should Sam Darnold get the start solely on being picked 3rd

No.

The starter at every position should always be based purely and only on merit. 

Not draft position.  Not salary.  Not friendships with Coaches.

Merit only.

All you can ask for a top level QB prospect to start is to learn the playbook, have command of the huddle, respect of the veterans, and show that the stage is not too big.  Many QBs take a year just to handle the language. According to Bates he had it down before training camp even started. He should start because he has more than done all of those things, he has shown he is the most talented and capable QB on the roster as well. I must admit with Bowles I am still not going to be shocked if he trots McCown out there, but all signs point to the competition being over. The beat writers were all saying that the competition is over, and though Bowles is not giving them anything, they all have some inside sources and McCown in his interviews talks like Darnold starting is already a done deal. One decent performance Friday and it is all over. And Darnold has earned it, it has not been given to him.

42 minutes ago, JimmyJazz21 said:

No.  He should get the start because he has shown poise and the ability to run the offense.  Playing is the only way he will continue to grow as a QB.

Unless Bridgewater is head and shoulders better than Darnold the rest of the preseason, I think Darnold should be the week 1 starter.  If the Jets decide to start Bridgewater to showcase him for a few weeks, I wouldn't like it but I'd undrstand and live with it.  The only scenario that I would NOT be at all happy with is if McCown is the week 1 starter.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

....all signs point to the competition being over. The beat writers were all saying that the competition is over, and though Bowles is not giving them anything, they all have some inside sources and McCown in his interviews talks like Darnold starting is already a done deal.

So we should see Darnold playing full-out full-route-tree vs. the Giants for three full quarters, like most starters do in the 3rd P.S. game then?

That would be excellent, and I hope that is what we do.  If he is the starter, he needs the work to be ready for opening day.

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He should start based on the fact that neither Teddy or McCown are head and shoulders above him.

Why sit one of the best QB prospects of the last decade in favor of a 39 year old journeyman or a major question mark who has absolutely no future here beyond this season? Just because we don’t have a brick wall of an OL at the moment? It still isn’t the dogsh*t unit that so many in this fanbase have made it out to be. Especially when Beachum and Winters are back in the fold. 

Darnold should start from Day 1 because he’s unquestionably this teams future, he hasn’t looked like he’s in over his head so far, and we need him to take his lumps early so we can potentially field a playoff team within a years time.

This ^ 

The O-line is not great but far from the horrid sieve most Jet fans purport it to be. Furthermore, the O-line has been upgraded at C and scheme changed to zone to better suit the offensive system and some of the O-linemen's skill set- like Winters, their new C- Long, and Shell on the right side (who is more agile/mobile than a pure mauler). The question is, can Carpenter adjust? It's not quite his forte. However, he should at least be familiar with it from playing on the Seahawks. 

The zone scheme will also help Darnold, who is very good at throwing on roll-outs.

It should also help in the run game. And the Jets improved their RB stable, IMO. With 3 versatile RBs that have great burst and elusiveness.  

Darnold is the most talented QB on the roster, he is the future, he has shown he can be calm and composed under pressure. He has done everything you can ask for of a rookie to earn the starting gig. And on top of that, despite solid showings, neither McCown not Bridgewater have played head and shoulders better than Darnold.     

I think Sam is ready to go week 1, but it has nothing to do with him being picked 3rd overall. Not every top 3 pick at QB can handle an NFL playbook, or can manage a huddle out the gate. Sam will start because he's ready to mentally not because of his draft slot. Look at the other 2 QBs in the room. While I'm sure the Jets would have loved for this scenario to play out where he gets the keys early, but they were more then ready and prepared to sit him if need be.

24 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Sam is competing against himself for this job. He should be thrown in the deep end whenever he's shown that he's capable of not drowning. We don't need him to be Michael Phelps on day one, but he needs to show that he can tread water...

Once he's proven that he can do that, which I think he's done, he should start. 

Pretty sure Michael Phelps is a swimmer not a QB. 

51 minutes ago, JimmyJazz21 said:

You lost me at:

solely on being picked 3rd

What the Jets gave up for him is a SUNK COST at this stage. He is either READY or NOT to play at the Professional level. If he's LEGIT as we all think he is, then he'll start when he's ready - which will be sooner rather than later. One thing I've learned in life, you NEVER come out ahead when you are too quick/in a rush to force something that just ISN"T meant to be at that given point in time. Akili Smith was picked 3rd overall back in the day and was rushed to be a starter at the Pro level; how'd that work out?

What I think should happen is that you build the perfect OLine, running game and surrounding talent before you start a QB. This should definitely happen by the rookies second year which times up perfectly with his learning how to process information on the field by not being on the field but watching from afar. I learned how to play NFL QB by watching youtube videos on the subject for six years, and I'm great.

Playing a sport is not about actually playing the sport but learning it with your brain. I learned how to bake christmas cookies by watching my grandmother when I was a kid. Now I'm a pro chef. All done by the magical process of watching.

Accountants operate in much the same manner, they never do your taxes until they've LEARNED how to do your taxes.

Pilots with their flight simulators are at a severe disadvantage as they can actually SEE what is happening during the simulation. Why they don't go back to good ol book learnin is beyond me. It's the best way. It's how I learned geometry.

I too am worried that the kid will get hit so many times that he will be shell shocked. I had an uncle come home from vietnam that way. He was also missing a leg, which would suck if it happened to Darnold.

In summation, yes, wait until you get all pros at all the positions on the oline. It takes exactly a year. Then the kid starts.

And while OL is a concern, and even at full strength its average at best....the situation is being greatly overblown.

When Beachum and Winters played against ATL I did not see this level of complaining and scared talk. They both should be ready to go week 1 so what are we trying to put Sam in bubblewrap for? He's ready mentally and has the footwork to escape the pocket. He needs to learn by doing at this point.

11 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Unless Bridgewater is head and shoulders better than Darnold the rest of the preseason, I think Darnold should be the week 1 starter.  If the Jets decide to start Bridgewater to showcase him for a few weeks, I wouldn't like it but I'd undrstand and live with it.  The only scenario that I would NOT be at all happy with is if McCown is the week 1 starter.

I agree totally with your last sentence.  I may even boycott if McCown is named the starter.  But I think the opposite with respect to the starting position. I think Darnold has to be head and shoulders above Bridgewater to start.  At his point I believe statistically speaking Bridgewater is doing better.  If they are even after preseason, I would give the edge to experience and give the job to Bridgewater.

47 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think this is the part that scares a lot of fans but they don't understand that taking the lumps are necessary, and he can handle it. It's the only way he's gonna grow and learn. If you've watched him at all this last 2 games you would see a player who holding a clipboard for half a season serves no purpose..

Frankly, from what I saw in the game, your online was no worse than what Sam had his final year at SC.  Even the Cotton Bowl, where that tOSU D knocked him flat on his butt, he threw for 356 yards.  Of course, the NFL is a whole other level, but I think Sam has shown that he's resilient, with a linebackers mentality.

i am in no way saying he should start, by the way, man who gives you the best chance to win, or if equal, your future.  

This is exactly what the jets seem to be doing. And it will probably be his downfall. Most QBs given the job don't turn out to well. It's the ones who are in real competitions and win them fairly who have a better chance to turn into good QBs.

2 minutes ago, omar38 said:

This is exactly what the jets seem to be doing. And it will probably be his downfall. Most QBs given the job don't turn out to well. It's the ones who are in real competitions and win them fairly who have a better chance to turn into good QBs.

Guys.. just ban the tool already.

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Frankly, from what I saw in the game, your online was no worse than what Sam had his final year at SC.  Even the Cotton Bowl, where that tOSU D knocked him flat on his butt, he threw for 356 yards.  Of course, the NFL is a whole other level, but I think Sam has shown that he's resilient, with a linebackers mentality.

i am in no way saying he should start, by the way, man who gives you the best chance to win, or if equal, your future.  

Our starting Left Tackle and Right Guard were out.

It’s the depth players that worry us more when we substitute and such. With the whole line healthy, they will be average..which is a lot better than what we seen. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Guys.. just ban the tool already.

Ban me because i have a different view on giving a rookie a starting job? How stupid is that. Is this not a Jets football forum where different people offer their own different opinions. Or is this a Jets sunshine pumper forum.

Archived