Should Sam Darnold get the start solely on being picked 3rd

JimmyJazz21

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Which one of his four posts bothers you the most? 

They all equally disturb my peace of mind.

6 minutes ago, omar38 said:

Ban me because i have a different view on giving a rookie a starting job? How stupid is that. Is this not a Jets football forum where different people offer their own different opinions. Or is this a Jets sunshine pumper forum.

Looooool...far from it Omar, far from it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty sure Michael Phelps is a swimmer not a QB. 

Michael Phelps is a swimmer and a metaphor is figure of speech that describes an action or object in a way that isn't literally true, but helps explain an idea or make a comparison.

The decision on who starts game 1 should be made after the Giants game and not before. I agree Sam is trending but he needs to show well against the G-men for me to vote for him as day 1 starter. I think he will but I need to see it before not after deciding. Bowles is exactly right on this.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

So we should see Darnold playing full-out full-route-tree vs. the Giants for three full quarters, like most starters do in the 3rd P.S. game then?

That would be excellent, and I hope that is what we do.  If he is the starter, he needs the work to be ready for opening day.

Yes I would hope so. Question becomes do you risk playing him game 4 or sit him until Detroit

16 minutes ago, Jethead said:

The decision on who starts game 1 should be made after the Giants game and not before. I agree Sam is trending but he needs to show well against the G-men for me to vote for him as day 1 starter. I think he will but I need to see it before not after deciding. Bowles is exactly right on this.

I think it is kind of a silly criteria. He has clearly outperformed the others in camp and has 2 solid games already, if he has an up and done game on Thursday and you then start BRW or McCown you are just delaying his development and not really doing anything to help him develop. He will learn by playing in games, warts and all. However, Polian says the same thing so I assume he does need to play well Friday to get the nod.

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes I would hope so. Question becomes do you risk playing him game 4 or sit him until Detroit

One (or max, two) drives, then sat down.

Like you do with your starting QB in the final preseason game.

If he is ready to start, he is ready to start.  And extra drive or two in PS Game #4 vs. future meat cutters is not the difference maker.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Darnold is the future of the franchise. We should get him as many reps as possible this season and dedicate the offseason to surrounding him with talent. Any snap taken by McCown or Bridgewater is a wasted one.

The goal should be to win football games this year. Who gives the team the best chance at winning this year. Next year is not here yet. Todd is on the hot seat imo and has to win this year. I think Teddy gives the team the best chance to win this year so should be the starter. Teddy is a franchise caliber QB right now or at least close to one. Sam is working hard to be one someday. The only reason most fans want Sam to start now even though they know he's not the teams best QB is because they already see Todd as gone so they don't care about the record for Sam's first year. Todd is the HC right now so i'm hoping for his success. Teddy gives Todd the best chance at success right now.

18 minutes ago, omar38 said:

The goal should be to win football games this year. Who gives the team the best chance at winning this year. Next year is not here yet. Todd is on the hot seat imo and has to win this year. I think Teddy gives the team the best chance to win this year so should be the starter. Teddy is a franchise caliber QB right now or at least close to one. Sam is working hard to be one someday. The only reason most fans want Sam to start now even though they know he's not the teams best QB is because they already see Todd as gone so they don't care about the record for Sam's first year. Todd is the HC right now so i'm hoping for his success. Teddy gives Todd the best chance at success right now.

Teddy has NOT beaten Sam Darnold out. It’s thats simple. What don’t you understand about that?

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Teddy has NOT beaten Sam Darnold out. It’s thats simple. What don’t you understand about that?

New to football? Go back and watch both games. Teddy has out played him. Teddy also has a history of winning in the NFL. Sam has no history. Although Teddy's history is not long it's a lot more then what Sam has. And once again Teddy has out played him. Film doesn't lie. Teddy is the Jets chance at winning this year and buying Todd more time.

54 minutes ago, omar38 said:

Bowles and Mac were both given 2 year extensions this offseason. The Johnsons are committed to the rebuild, or Bowles, Mac, or both would have gotten canned before selecting the QB of the future this offseason. This notion of Bowles being on the hot seat by you, and those who hate him on this board is nonsense IMO. Next year will be the hot seat year for them both. 

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Bowles and Mac were both given 2 year extensions this offseason. The Johnsons are committed to the rebuild, or Bowles, Mac, or both would have gotten canned before selecting the QB of the future this offseason. This notion of Bowles being on the hot seat by you, and those who hate him on this board is nonsense IMO. Next year will be the hot seat year for them both. 

How many times has a coach or player been fired after an extension. Has happened a lot.

7 minutes ago, omar38 said:

New to football? Go back and watch both games. Teddy has out played him. Teddy also has a history of winning in the NFL. Sam has no history. Although Teddy's history is not long it's a lot more then what Sam has. And once again Teddy has out played him. Film doesn't lie. Teddy is the Jets chance at winning this year and buying Todd more time.

Teddy also hasn’t played a lick with the starters and most  of his yards have come from playing 3rd stringers. 4 year vets should be able to do what he’s doing. Darnold on the other hand has done just as good in the first two preseason games of his life. 

So there is that.

50 minutes ago, omar38 said:

Go back and watch both games. Teddy has out played him.

When you factor in that the bulk of Bridgewater's damage has come against second and third stringers, the competition has been about even.

Darnold - 21/29 158 yards 1/1

Bridgewater - 17/23 212 yards 2/1

Nobody has outplayed anyone. They've both done well. Also consider that Darnold basically wasn't allowed to do anything in the second half of the first game except hand the ball off. He's had about six meaningful possession in the preseason and, if memory serves, the team has scored on three of them. They would have scored on a fourth, but they went for a fourth down for the fun of it on what would have normally been a field goal attempt and that's when he threw his meaningless interception.

3 hours ago, omar38 said:

Ban me because i have a different view on giving a rookie a starting job? How stupid is that. Is this not a Jets football forum where different people offer their own different opinions. Or is this a Jets sunshine pumper forum.

Jets sunshine pumper? I almost want to play in a fantasy football league just to use that name.

3 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

When you factor in that the bulk of Bridgewater's damage has come against second and third stringers, the competition has been about even.

Darnold - 21/29 158 yards 1/1

Bridgewater - 17/23 212 yards 2/1

Nobody has outplayed anyone. They've both done well. Also consider that Darnold basically wasn't allowed to do anything in the second half of the first game except hand the ball off. He's had about six meaningful possession in the preseason and, if memory serves, the team has scored on three of them. They would have scored on a fourth, but they went for a fourth down for the fun of it on what would have normally been a field goal attempt and that's when he threw his meaningless interception.

Even beyond the stats that you laid out here, Darnold just looks like the better QB. He’s only made 1 bad decision all preseason and that had to be forced since it was a 4th down play. So it was a calculated mistake.

His roll out to the left gunning it across his body for a first down was a thing of beauty.

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bingo. 

The people who want Bridgewater to start seem to begin the argument with the premise that Teddy has already proven himself to be the best quarterback on the roster - something he simply hasn't done, to this point. 

I think this is actually a really fair question. I think my basis for wanting Darnold to start has more to do with him being ready and it benefiting him more to start than watch from the bench. I think all Jets fans are basing this on the reporting and witnessing of Darnolds play. Where he was picked has little to do with it. I think Dak and Wilson are good examples of it not mattering where a player was picked.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes but Teddy has been better.

where your drafted mean sh*t once the draft is over and isnt a reason to play a guy who isnt good or isnt ready .. that being said Darnold should start cause he has been pretty damn good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, omar38 said:

I disagree both that Teddy has outperformed Sam and that winning 7 games instead of 6 while sitting the future of the franchise is a good thing. Teddy will be gone next year. Unless we're winning the Super Bowl (spoiler, we aren't) there's nothing to be gained by playing Teddy.

17 hours ago, omar38 said:

What's you're criteria for beating him out?  You're at every practice?  There isn't a clear cut reason to start Teddy.  This is Darnolds team and he's done nothi to lose his job.  Bowles isn't getting fired if the team plays hard and smart and loses a few more games because of "rookie growing pains" at QB.  This team isn't expected, nor should it be, to win this season.  Let Darnold go through those growing pains, let him learn and be on his way when the team is more complete next season. 

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Yes but Teddy has been better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Never understood this line of reasoning...he SHOULD look 'better' as he has 2+ yrs starting QB experience in the NFL...

The only questions Darnold had to answer this pre-season are 1. Does he know the playbook; 2. Can he protect himself; and 3. Can he protect the ball.

If he checks all these boxes, and is not light-yrs behind the other two on the practice field (and he isn't), he needs to start, learn and get those 2+ yrs experience as a NFL starter so can look 'as good' at TBW does now in camp lol.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:26 AM, Untouchable said:

He should start based on the fact that neither Teddy or McCown are head and shoulders above him.

Why sit one of the best QB prospects of the last decade in favor of a 39 year old journeyman or a major question mark who has absolutely no future here beyond this season? Just because we don’t have a brick wall of an OL at the moment? It still isn’t the dogsh*t unit that so many in this fanbase have made it out to be. Especially when Beachum and Winters are back in the fold. 

Darnold should start from Day 1 because he’s unquestionably this teams future, he hasn’t looked like he’s in over his head so far, and we need him to take his lumps early so we can potentially field a playoff team within a years time.

In Game One TB played with better players.  IN Game Two TB played against worse players.  6 of one, half dozen of the other.  They are comparable.  Sam starts.

Archived