So when is Darron Lee getting cut?

Philc1

When will Darron Lee get cut?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. When will Darron Lee get cut?

• During the 2018 season
    • Next offseason
    • Never, Macc already has his $45 million extension drawn up

There's also a big difference between being drafted too early and being a bust.

If Darron Lee was maybe an early 3rd rounder then we'd be satisfied that he's a contributing starter.  But he's not Vernon Gholston.  Lee can play in this league and he can start.  Maybe he turns out to be a Robert Gallery type.  Taken at #2 overall in 2004, Gallery was considered a franchise LT coming out of college.  He couldn't cut it there and moved to RT, then eventually guard where he played very well for 8 years.  Solid offensive lineman and started in the NFL for almost a decade.....just simply not worth the #2 pick or even a 1st round pick.

Macc clearly didn't hit a homerun with Darron Lee, but I'm not cutting a guy who can hit singles and doubles just yet.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There's also a big difference between being drafted too early and being a bust.

If Darron Lee was maybe an early 3rd rounder then we'd be satisfied that he's a contributing starter.  But he's not Vernon Gholston.  Lee can play in this league and he can start.  Maybe he turns out to be a Robert Gallery type.  Taken at #2 overall in 2004, Gallery was considered a franchise LT coming out of college.  He couldn't cut it there and moved to RT, then eventually guard where he played very well for 8 years.  Solid offensive lineman and started in the NFL for almost a decade.....just simply not worth the #2 pick or even a 1st round pick.

Macc clearly didn't hit a homerun with Darron Lee, but I'm not cutting a guy who can hit singles and doubles just yet.

this aint the 70's where you haev a SS who hits .240

wtfu

His objective ratings as per above are not terrible.  He is just a disappointment in value.  

He is not getting cut this year.  He should be playing motivated, because he is a player that the Jets do not pick up the fifth year option for.  They can franchise him if necessary.   I doubt he is.  He starts over somewhere else. 

We could have had McKinney over Devin Smith.

This roster would be completely awful if it was not for Heimerdinger picking up decent value in FA/UDFAs.  

Worthy of another thread.  

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah. Lets have another 37 Teddy v Sam threads, instead. Thats been fun!

If the Darron Lee haters want to hold a convention in this thread, fine, go to town. But the multiple choice questions at the top of the thread are idiotic. And the idea of cutting Darron Lee at this point in his career--he is 24 years old, if you may recall--is sillier than 3,700 Teddy threads. I know the words "patience" and "sports fans" don't go together, but for crying out loud, can't you give this guy a few more years of maturation before you make him walk the plank?

13 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

If the Darron Lee haters want to hold a convention in this thread, fine, go to town. But the multiple choice questions at the top of the thread are idiotic. And the idea of cutting Darron Lee at this point in his career--he is 24 years old, if you may recall--is sillier than 3,700 Teddy threads. I know the words "patience" and "sports fans" don't go together, but for crying out loud, can't you give this guy a few more years of maturation before you make him walk the plank?

Yet here we are. Discussing Jets players....on a Jets MB. Weird. I guess the OPs poll worked. Hmm.

And nope, I dont "hate" D. Lee. I think there are a couple of irrational posters here, but its mostly jokes (you know, because hes apparently 4'8")..But he WAS grossly overdrafted. Hes been a disappointment of a pick, not Pryor/Milliner/Gholston level bad, but disappointing. Hes undersized and a poor fit for how they want to utilize him. Add in a touch of off field drama and a perception of being "plush" (Bart Scotts word, not mine) well.....lets just say I don't see the Jets rushing to get him back to the table. And hes currently a starter. For now. So yeah, discussion worthy topic.

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yet here we are. Discussing Jets players....on a Jets MB. Weird. I guess the OPs poll worked. Hmm.

And nope, I dont "hate" D. Lee. I think there are a couple of irrational posters here, but its mostly jokes (you know, because hes apparently 4'8")..But he WAS grossly overdrafted. Hes been a disappointment of a pick, not Pryor/Milliner/Gholston level bad, but disappointing. Hes undersized and a poor fit for how they want to utilize him. Add in a touch of off field drama and a perception of being "plush" (Bart Scotts word, not mine) well.....lets just say I don't see the Jets rushing to get him back to the table. And hes currently a starter. For now. So yeah, discussion worthy topic.

The draft gurus gave him a mid-first-round grade, so the pick was right around where the consensus said he should be. He still has time to work out--how long did it take James Farrior to reach his potential? The Lee pick was not the problem. The problem was when Maccagnan picked Christian Hackenberg in the second round--a HUGE overdraft--and then we all had to watch the Falcons pick Deion Jones with the very next pick.

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Put him on notice by putting him on special teams. 

He plays about 20% of the ST snaps.  When you consider he isn't going to be on extra points/FGs and you probably don't want him as a blocker, that is a good percentage.  It probably was higher, but I think they pulled him to get snaps for guys like Jones and Clark the last few games.

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

The draft gurus gave him a mid-first-round grade, so the pick was right around where the consensus said he should be. He still has time to work out--how long did it take James Farrior to reach his potential? The Lee pick was not the problem. The problem was when Maccagnan picked Christian Hackenberg in the second round--a HUGE overdraft--and then we all had to watch the Falcons pick Deion Jones with the very next pick.

Agree on Hack. I actually feel bad for him. The Jets f*cked him AND themselves by taking him there.

But Lee was overdrafted, undersized, and a bad selection in the first regardless of what Street and Smiths or Mel said. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The problem with lee imo is that his issues are not fixable.  If you are soft you don;t suddenly get tough, if you have poor instincts or take bad angles that often does not improve.  His one good attribute is moving fast from side to side or from the back side to make plays but because he is hesitant, takes bad angles and has poor instincts he makes plays down field, not near the line of scrimmage.  He is also locked into his position.  I see people suggesting he be an olb but he cannot set the edge at all and does not have ling arms, a bend or instincts to get to the QB.

Is he the worst player in the league?  No, but as with adams it is were he was drafted and the position that was drafted high and that goes on macs resume.  We in essence drafted a guy 6th overall and 20th overall to do the same thing.  Stop the run, cover backs and tes and created turnovers.  (And these guys so far have not shown they can cover or create turnovers.)

So good that with your vast personnel knowledge you've determined what Adams will be after his rookie season.

That hes a bad draft pick, was overdrafted, the wrong position, cant do it all is amazingly the same as your opinion of every pick and just about every single player ever discussed on this or other boards for 10 or so years.  Amazing consistency 

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So good that with your vast personnel knowledge you've determined what Adams will be after his rookie season.

That hes a bad draft pick, was overdrafted, the wrong position, cant do it all is amazingly the same as your opinion of every pick and just about every single player ever discussed on this or other boards for 10 or so years.  Amazing consistency 

Adams could suddenly become player he is supposed to be for a 6th overall pick.  Right now he is a good run stopping safety.   IF you pick a safety at 6th overall he better be ed reed or troy polalalu or a like because run stopping safeties can be had much later.  We have seen this off season the value of safeties.  high profile guys without a job or getting released because player abc can do the same cheaper.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Adams could suddenly become player he is supposed to be for a 6th overall pick.  Right now he is a good run stopping safety.   IF you pick a safety at 6th overall he better be ed reed or troy polalalu or a like because run stopping safeties can be had much later.  We have seen this off season the value of safeties.  high profile guys without a job or getting released because player abc can do the same cheaper.

Heres the thing, look at Polamalu's rookie year and tell me what you would have said about him because he wasnt Polamalu as a rookie.  

Show some patience before making blanket cliche comments, one year isnt a career, thats all.  

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You're really not joking?  I'll put up $100 against your $10 and say that Darron Lee will not be franchise tagged.

I'm sorry Phil but this thread is kinda ridiculous.  Darron Lee has definitely underperformed but he did look better towards the end of last year's regular season.   We need a few weeks of real football to make a judgement on this guy, especially after he seems to have been given increased responsibility with play-calling on D.  I know Bart Scott called him out for how he's hitting in preseason so far.  I'm reserving judgement for now but I don't see anyway he's getting cut.  He won't get the 5th year option triggered but I don't see them cutting a mediocre starter who is on a rookie $ contract.

Franchise tag on lee? Lol

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

woa woa woa guys, he has only underperformed for a little while, we really should really wait until he plays for us a good 7 or 8 seasons before deciding if he is any good. I mean he could get better.  right? right???

All good jokes start from a kernel of truth. Mention Sanchez or Geno and watch what happens. 

18 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Some dude just sold me a time machine on the internet.  Should be here in a few days (Yay ShopRunner!).  Soon as I unpack the thing and get it powered up, I'll go back in time and change the Lee pick.  

Change the hack pick instead, Deion Jones is a perfect fit for this defense and would help team more, Lee could be as projected, OLB part time pass rush - hard hitting ILB is not a role for a former QB, they are too plush 

21 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Obviously there is no chance he gets cut before he plays out his four year rookie deal which is fully guaranteed, barring some kind of locker room or off field issue. It looks less and less likely he gets the fifth year option.

This. He's not getting cut, and even though I have a low opinion of him as a player I wouldn't cut him now either. At his salary ($1.4m this year, $1.8m next year) he's worth keeping even as a backup with potential few backups have. 

After we drafted him I didn't think he'd be worth the 5th year option, and it was doubly-reinforced after his rookie season. You'll be talking about ~$10m for a 1-year rental. The only reason for anyone to pay that is for a GM to save face over a draft pick to give it one last chance before openly admitting failure.

At this rate his next contract will be a one year show-me deal in the $5-6m range just because he was a recent 1st round pick and is still fast. The only team that would pay more than that is the Jets because there's an emotional attachment to one's own draft picks.

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The problem with lee imo is that his issues are not fixable.  If you are soft you don;t suddenly get tough, if you have poor instincts or take bad angles that often does not improve.  His one good attribute is moving fast from side to side or from the back side to make plays but because he is hesitant, takes bad angles and has poor instincts he makes plays down field, not near the line of scrimmage.  He is also locked into his position.  I see people suggesting he be an olb but he cannot set the edge at all and does not have ling arms, a bend or instincts to get to the QB.

Is he the worst player in the league?  No, but as with adams it is were he was drafted and the position that was drafted high and that goes on macs resume.  We in essence drafted a guy 6th overall and 20th overall to do the same thing.  Stop the run, cover backs and tes and created turnovers.  (And these guys so far have not shown they can cover or create turnovers.)

I agree. He’s Kyle Wilson and Calvin Pryor all over again. I wouldn’t say he’s as bad as they were, but he’s definitely not a difference maker. 

17 hours ago, Pac said:

The irrational hatred for Lee on this site is only surpassed by the truly idiotic hyper criticism of Adams.

I don't hate lee or adams,  I hate that our gm used back to back 1st rounders on non prime positions in which you can find guys as good as the ones he drafted all over the place.  I have some disdain for each player, Lee is a soft linebacker who acts half nut at times.  Adams talks a great game before he has done anything of real note.

The big issue with these payers is the gm who picked them where he picked them, to go along with another fav of yours hackenburg, that is three big blunders.

Archived