Mike's On App (Francesa)

On 8/24/2018 at 8:55 AM, flgreen said:

Maybe not 10K, but no matter how many he has, it's still a good bit of extra change for almost nothing

No it is not. It takes a ton of money to develop a good app and a ton more to improve and update it. Some idiot told Mikes its the future, but I assure you "the future" couldn't give a rats ass for Mike.

I always thought the app was a cop out for returning. But considering it came out so fast since his return and all he does is pimp it, perhaps not. I do like his Sunday show. But if you could "short" his app, you should. Maybe Ira from Staten Island will pay for it. He can easily afford it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He hasn't been his normal Jet hating self lately and he is very complimentary of Darnold, and he goes out of his way to defend him. 

It's because he's under the impression that he practically drafted Sam Darnold.  

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/29/mahmoud-ahmadinejad-vs-mike-francesa/amp

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad vs. Mike Francesa

The former Iranian President has been tweeting about American sports. Can he make it as a pundit?

Zach Helfand

October 19, 2018 10:43 PM

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad vs. Mike Francesa

The former Iranian President has been tweeting about American sports. Can he make it as a pundit?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Illustration by João Fazenda

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran’s President from 2005 to 2013, oversaw a ban on social media in his country, but last year, perhaps following the example of America’s President, he started tweeting on a new account. On Twitter, the populist hard-liner goes by the handle @Ahmadinejad1956 (a reference to his birth year), and identifies himself as a “Husband, Dad, Grandfather, University Professor, President, Mayor, Proud Iranian.” For the most part, his tweets veer between New Agey aphorisms (“Let’s all love each other”) and political commentary (“the Zionists are always causing problems for the #AmericanPeople . . . #ZionistPlot”).

Last month, however, Ahmadinejad decided to address one of Donald Trump’s favorite topics: the controversy surrounding the former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. He tweeted, “The #NFL season will start this week, unfortunately once again @Kaepernick7 is not on a NFL roster. Even though he is one of the best Quarterbacks in the league.”

It was not the first time Ahmadinejad had used sports to exploit America’s social divisions. This summer, he waded into the debate over Serena Williams’s skintight outfit at the French Open, defending Williams, and argued that Trump was wrong to say that he preferred Michael Jordan to LeBron James, a frequent critic. (Ahmadinejad also praised Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, an N.B.A. player known for protesting during the national anthem in the nineteen-nineties.) But sports fans took note of the Kaepernick tweet. A dispirited University of Michigan football fan responded, seeking answers about the team’s coach, who has not been the savior fans expected: “Dear Mahmoud, We have much bigger problems here. #Michigan is 8–8 in its last 16 games under @CoachJim4UM.” Surprisingly, Ahmadinejad wrote back: “With a hard work ethic Inshallah the U of M will return to its glory days.”

This opened the floodgates. “Salam Mahmoud, first time long time,” a Twitter user named David wrote to Ahmadinejad, using the sports talk-radio salute for first-time callers. “What do you think Texas’s final record ends up at?”

“Mahmoud, do you think Kevin Durant will go to the Knicks . . . ?”

“Will the Big 12 be left without a playoff team this year? I’ll hang up and listen.”

Could Ahmadinejad be America’s newest purveyor of hot sports takes? For an expert opinion, let’s go to the phones, where we have Mike Francesa, the dean of sports talk at New York’s WFAN. “If he called in to my show, I would have treated him the same way I treat every other caller,” Francesa said, of the Iranian President. A virtual call-in was arranged, using the tweets. Next up, Mahmoud from Tehran. What’s up, Mahmoud?

Mahmoud: @Kaepernick7 . . . is one of the best Quarterbacks in the league.

Mike: Completely off base. Kaepernick is not the best quarterback in the league. Now, are there one or two teams he could start for? Possibly. But, in a league where you need sixty quarterbacks, he would be in the forty to fifty range.

Mahmoud: [On Trump’s preference for Michael Jordan over LeBron James] In my opinion everyone, especially a President, should love all, and not differentiate. . . . I love @KingJames #MichaelJordan @RaufMahmoud and all athletes.

Mike: Rauf was a kid who never played up to his ability. To compare him to probably two of the three greatest players of all time is utterly ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.

Mahmoud: Why is the #FrenchOpen disrespecting @serenawilliams? Unfortunately, some people in all Countries, including my Country, haven’t realized the true meaning of freedom.

Mike: Um, that one could be right. I mean, I think you could say that about probably every country in some regard. I would think that’s a fair statement.

Francesa concluded that, while Ahmadinejad seems to have a good grasp of American politics, his sports knowledge is shallow. “It sounds like he doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” Francesa said. But he could understand Ahmadinejad’s difficulty.

“You know, listen, I try to follow current events,” he said. “I watch the news every day, I try to, but Iran is not something I consider myself to have a tremendous amount of information on.” He brought up another headline in the region, the death of the Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi, amid questions about whether the country’s crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, was involved in his assassination. “I follow this whole Khashoggi thing much closer, because it’s so outrageous, to see how they’re gonna handle this one. We know that this is not anything new with Saudi, but Saudi’s been great at not ever getting dirtied in any of this stuff. They just buy both sides against the middle. I want to see on the world stage how this prince gets out of this one. I think the King’s gonna have to banish him. Like, all of a sudden he’s just gone, and no one knew where he went, and he went to some villa somewhere. So this is an incredible story, it really is, on so many levels.”

Francesa went on, “Is Prince M.B.S. tweeting about American sports, too, or no? I don’t think so.” ♦