Game Observations (NYG)

KRL

General Notes

- An absolutely putrid effort by the Jets with the main culprits being
the defense and special teams

- A horrible display of discipline as the team committed 10+ penalties.
On offense most of them pinned the team back and destroyed drives.  On
defense the penalties extended drives and led to NYG points

Special Teams

- Good efforts by Lachlan Edwards (P) and Jason Myers (K) as they were
the only two players who didn't screw up all night

- Other than that there were mistakes in punt coverage, PAT and ball
security on kick off returns.  Inexcusable error by Charone Peake? as he
left his lane as a gunner which left the whole side of the field empty on
the TD return.  Poor discipline by Jonotthan Harrison on the PAT as he moved
early which led to Taylor Bertolet missing from 38.  Trenton Cannon must
show better ball security, that's two muffed punts and a fumble on specials
in only two games.  In addition there were at least two other penalties
on kick off returns which took the offense out of good field position and
pinned them inside the 20.  A lot of players put themselves on the chopping
block with how they performed

Defense

- Yes, the defense hasn't given up a TD in the pre-season but they have
been softer than cotton.  They aren't getting off the field on 3rd downs, the
offense is gaining too much in field position and controlling the clock.  If
the defense does stop them our offense is pinned back which causes them to be
conservative to protect a young QB

- The secondary gave up too many long receptions which flipped the field.  Some
of the culprits were Mo Claiborne, Juston Burris and Buster Skrine.  Jamal Adams
was one of the few players who had a strong game as he had a couple of TFL's

- The ILB's were good in run support and Avery Williamson had an absolute textbook
strip to cause a fumble.  The OLB's had no impact and Jordan Jenkins had a killer
penalty on 3rd down which extended a drive in which NYG scored a FG.  Frankie Luvu
had a sack in the second half, can he develop into any kind of consistent edge
presence?  Because the pass rush has been missing in action

- The DLine was excellent in stopping the run but again brought no consistent 
pressure. Leonard Williams was active with a fumble recovery (40 yards), TFL's and
making plays up and down the line.  Henry Anderson was able to draw a couple of holding
penalties with his penetration into the NYG backfield

Offense

- Sharp performance by the offense early on as they were able to score two TD's by
the start of the second quarter.  Nice wrinkle by Jeremy Bates in using three TE sets
to assist the OLine while still providing Sam Darnold with receivers   

- The defense and special teams poor play had a direct impact on the offense.  Both
units caused the offense to be pinned back inside the 20 multiple times which led to
conservative play calling and zero production

- The OLine was solid in pass protection but inconsistent in run blocking

- Poor effort by Eric Tomlinson in blocking as he was hit with two penalties which
destroyed drives

- Nice to see Quincy Enunwa and Terrelle Pryor on the field and contributing.  Mixing
those two in with Robby Anderson and Jermaine Kearse should give Sam Darnold a good
corps of WR

- Sam Darnold remains on track to be the starter in my eyes.  He made a mistake by
drawing an intentional grounding penalty and the play clock got down to 1-2 seconds
a couple of times.  But when given good field position he led the team to two TD's
by the start of the second quarter.  The defense has got to be better on 3rd down
to give Darnold the ball more times and in decent field position 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The offense having success early and then looking disjointed as the game went on, imo, is going to be part of a larger trend if Darnold can’t figure out how to get the ball downfield. If there’s no threat of going over the top, the blitzing starts, the press coverage gets tighter, and safeties start living in the box. It’s hard to do business that way, as Chad Pennington can tell you. 

Hide your eyes here are the self inflicted wounds the Jets committed

The starting field position for Darnold's drives:

- 25 yard line, TD
- 10 yard line, punt
- 15 yard line, punt (Josh Martin holding penalty on kick
  return set them back)
- 50 yard line, TD
- 25 yard line, punt (Neal Sterling bobble on 15 yard out
  kills drive)
- 12 yard line, punt (Chris Herndon personal foul on kick
  return set them back)
- 20 yard line, punt

The points given away by various units:

- TD on the punt return
- 1 point taken off the board on the missed PAT
- FG on a drive extended by Jordan Jenkins penalty on 3rd & 15
- FG on the fumble by Trenton Cannon
- FG on poor punt coverage just before halftime

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The offense having success early and then looking disjointed as the game went on, imo, is going to be part of a larger trend if Darnold can’t figure out how to get the ball downfield. If there’s no threat of going over the top, the blitzing starts, the press coverage gets tighter, and safeties start living in the box. It’s hard to do business that way, as Chad Pennington can tell you. 

PA will have to play a role too, which can't be effective unless we can run effectively.  Which from the sounds of we didn't again last night. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The first drive or so is also usually scripted.   So it was interesting to watch afterwards, and the offense was less effective.   Of course the penalties and field position did not help.   You are right, though, they have to let him take a shot or two downfield.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Meh until Oline shows ability to block better. Good luck on running plays with deeper routes .  

With the big cut down date coming, it will be interesting to see what
Maccagnan can find in terms of OLB's.  Because the pressure off the
edge has been non-existent.  Would the front office consider a couple
of free agent "dinosaurs" like Elvis Dumervil or Dwight Freeney?

30 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He plays all over the field . Literally bowles moves him all over has been this way since last year . 

It would probably work great IF WE HAD A PASS RUSH. I can’t expect Jamal to be good at blitzing but when you move him around, it weakens the coverage and without pass rush, we get shredded. It defeats the purpose of moving him around.

I just want his coverage skills to be mediocre so he can really “do it all” and become a good all around safety. Pass rush can cure all on D just like QB can cure all on O. So it’s tough to judge the players on D because I think it would be night and day if we had even a middle of the pack pass rush. 

I really do like ALOT of our defensive players. Lack of pressure kills them though and also the inability to scheme pressure which I’m hoping is only because it’s preseason and they don’t want to show their cards. What worries me is the same mistakes and sloppiness that always carry over to the regular season. Undisciplined, sloppy/conservative team with coaching that can’t adjust or scheme on defense or make the correct game management decision. 

We can win with a few more pieces and a better/offensive minded coach. 2018 is the final year of this. Sh*t or get off the pot Bowles. 

Just now, KRL said:

With the big cut down date coming, it will be interesting to see what
Maccagnan can find in terms of OLB's.  Because the pressure off the
edge has been non-existent.  Would the front office consider a couple
of free agent "dinosaurs" like Elvis Dumervil or Dwight Freeney?

I’ve been waiting for the scrap heap all offseason. There may even be other players that aren’t getting cut but are more expendable based on someone else surprising in camp. Honestly, anything at passrusher is better than what we have.

I thought the TEs in general were awfully disappointing.  I was really looking forward to seeing them all healthy this week, and with the glowing reports from practice.  Then I though all of them sh!t the bed.  Tomllinson with a couple of penalties; Sterling with  the bobble KRL mentioned earlier, a drop and a penalty for Leggett, Herndon whiffed on a block in the backfield causing a TFL, at least 1 maybe 2 penalties on Walford.  Between the 5 of them, 1 catch for 13 yards. 

Very disappointing.

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well maybe it’s due to the O-line but Bowles did fire a coordinator for passing too much and now that he has a potential awesome QB they need to open it up.

My silver lining has been that he was known as a gunslinger and we had ball security concerns. Now before the regular season even started, he has shown high completion %, the ability to make fast reads, check down well, pass with touch in the flats to running backs, hold the ball with 2 hands, scramble well with a real NFL rush etc. I mean, that’s incredible to improve his “weakness” sooo much. I did not expect that.

But now that he’s becoming a more complete QB and he knows how to play conservative when necessary, let him open it up so the conservative stuff works better. Just sprinkle in more medium-deep balls. It will help tremendously. I understand preseason vanilla but don’t want too many opportunities squandered when now is the time to practice, especially with how quick Sam learns. 

12 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It would probably work great IF WE HAD A PASS RUSH. I can’t expect Jamal to be good at blitzing but when you move him around, it weakens the coverage and without pass rush, we get shredded. It defeats the purpose of moving him around.

I just want his coverage skills to be mediocre so he can really “do it all” and become a good all around safety. Pass rush can cure all on D just like QB can cure all on O. So it’s tough to judge the players on D because I think it would be night and day if we had even a middle of the pack pass rush. 

I really do like ALOT of our defensive players. Lack of pressure kills them though and also the inability to scheme pressure which I’m hoping is only because it’s preseason and they don’t want to show their cards. What worries me is the same mistakes and sloppiness that always carry over to the regular season. Undisciplined, sloppy/conservative team with coaching that can’t adjust or scheme on defense or make the correct game management decision. 

We can win with a few more pieces and a better/offensive minded coach. 2018 is the final year of this. Sh*t or get off the pot Bowles. 

Taking guys like Adams is the trade off to pass rushers when you keep picking in the top of drafts.  There is validity to taking premium positions with marquis picks, and the jets ususally haven’t done this with their defensive players.  Williams, Adams and lee are not pass rushers.  Look around the nfl and other teams take pass rushers with these picks.  In 2017 they passed on that olb from maryland and the jags took him and he’s good, he’s a reason they want to trade Fowler.  

The fact they don’t have pass rushers is not on bowles.  This is mccagnan.  Maybe a better coach would scheme better to get more sacks, but with this crew, it’s as if again mccagnan thinks he can get away with retreads at an important position.  

It’s no secret that mccagnan has ignored OL and pass rusher in his drafts and no surprise, these are the glaring weaknesses in pure talent on the team.  Then you throw in the poor coaching that we’ve seen for years and that’s why this team is where it is.  

I guess one positive all preseason has been the red zone defense, which has been bottom third of the league the last two seasons.  However, it would be nice if we could stop a team on occasion before they actually get deep into our territory.

One thing for sure the defense has been atrocious in preseason for the past 3 years . 

Then week 1 rolls around and there competitive as hell. I think that has to do with scheming 

either way i have learned it never as bad as it seems in preseason ..

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Taking guys like Adams is the trade off to pass rushers when you keep picking in the top of drafts.  There is validity to taking premium positions with marquis picks, and the jets ususally haven’t done this with their defensive players.  Williams, Adams and lee are not pass rushers.  Look around the nfl and other teams take pass rushers with these picks.  In 2017 they passed on that olb from maryland and the jags took him and he’s good, he’s a reason they want to trade Fowler.  

The fact they don’t have pass rushers is not on bowles.  This is mccagnan.  Maybe a better coach would scheme better to get more sacks, but with this crew, it’s as if again mccagnan thinks he can get away with retreads at an important position.  

It’s no secret that mccagnan has ignored OL and pass rusher in his drafts and no surprise, these are the glaring weaknesses in pure talent on the team.  Then you throw in the poor coaching that we’ve seen for years and that’s why this team is where it is.  

Agree with everything you said -- but Ngakoue, the MD pass rusher, went in the 3rd round.  Can't really blame Macc for passing on him at 20 since nobody else around the league saw him as an elite pass rusher or he woudl not have last to R3.  But in 4 years, only OLBs we have taken are Jenkins (solid player, but not a difference maker) plus Mauldin and Donahue who are both on the roster bubble.

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

I thought the TEs in general were awfully disappointing.  I was really looking forward to seeing them all healthy this week, and with the glowing reports from practice.  Then I though all of them sh!t the bed.  Tomllinson with a couple of penalties; Sterling with  the bobble KRL mentioned earlier, a drop and a penalty for Leggett, Herndon whiffed on a block in the backfield causing a TFL, at least 1 maybe 2 penalties on Walford.  Between the 5 of them, 1 catch for 13 yards. 

Very disappointing.

Tomlinson also got run over like he wasn't there on one play, forcing Sam to scramble and eventually run out of bounds for a loss. He wasn't even effective as a speed bump, Vernon just went right through him.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

One thing for sure the defense has been atrocious in preseason for the past 3 years . 

Then week 1 rolls around and there competitive as hell. I think that has to do with scheming 

either way i have learned it never as bad as it seems in preseason ..

I agree.  Still, it is frustrating as hell when you look forward to watching your team all week and they put on a performance like they did las night.  The most troubling signs to me are the things we have seen that have been constants going back to last year and in some cases beyond.  The poor special teams play, the penalties, lack of a pass rush, poor pass blocking.  These were all issues last year and nothing we have seen in preseason suggestst that they will be any better this season.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I agree.  Still, it is frustrating as hell when you look forward to watching your team all week and they put on a performance like they did las night.  The most troubling signs to me are the things we have seen that have been constants going back to last year and in some cases beyond.  The poor special teams play, the penalties, lack of a pass rush, poor pass blocking.  These were all issues last year and nothing we have seen in preseason suggestst that they will be any better this season.

Exactly the issues that have been problems for this team show no signs that we will be any better. Only positive is Sam is the the QB for our future but he needs more support from the rest of these guys

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Hide your eyes here are the self inflicted wounds the Jets committed

The starting field position for Darnold's drives:

- 25 yard line, TD
- 10 yard line, punt
- 15 yard line, punt (Josh Martin holding penalty on kick
  return set them back)
- 50 yard line, TD
- 25 yard line, punt (Neal Sterling bobble on 15 yard out
  kills drive)
- 12 yard line, punt (Chris Herndon personal foul on kick
  return set them back)
- 20 yard line, punt

The points given away by various units:

- TD on the punt return
- 1 point taken off the board on the missed PAT
- FG on a drive extended by Jordan Jenkins penalty on 3rd & 15
- FG on the fumble by Trenton Cannon
- FG on poor punt coverage just before halftime

17 points. GAME. 

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agree with everything you said -- but Ngakoue, the MD pass rusher, went in the 3rd round.  Can't really blame Macc for passing on him at 20 since nobody else around the league saw him as an elite pass rusher or he woudl not have last to R3.  But in 4 years, only OLBs we have taken are Jenkins (solid player, but not a difference maker) plus Mauldin and Donahue who are both on the roster bubble.

But they could have taken him in the 2nd or even the 3rd if they moved around.  Instead they took two safeties and then call around the league for pass rushers.  And the WORST part of this is, it’s not as if the positions he takes instead of pass rushers fixes problems they were intended to fix.  The defense still gives up too many big pass plays.  And if you need a pass rush to fix the pass defense, then why take two safeties with premium positions when those should be used to get pass rushers?  The logic is flawed, we’ve been noting it here for a while and only now are they starting to even tacitly acknowledge it by calling around and asking what the price is for Mack.  

3 minutes ago, faba said:

Exactly the issues that have been problems for this team show no signs that we will be any better. Only positive is Sam is the the QB for our future but he needs more support from the rest of these guys

Having Sam at QB is a huge postiive.  I am optmisitc about the future of this team, but I still think this will be a 6 win season.  Despite my low expectation for the season, I am still looking forward to it more than I have the last couple.  It should be a fun season watching Sam develop.  And who knows, maybe once Beachums steps in for Qvale the OL will be better.  Maybe we can surprise.

As long as we don't hear, "Josh is the starter.  Josh gives us the best chance to win." Then it should be a fun season, even if we struggle at times.

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bowles actually said that they have intentionally only called short passes to see Darnold in certain situations. Plus throwing long passes is a risk with the patchwork OL.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

But they could have taken him in the 2nd or even the 3rd if they moved around.  Instead they took two safeties and then call around the league for pass rushers.  And the WORST part of this is, it’s not as if the positions he takes instead of pass rushers fixes problems they were intended to fix.  The defense still gives up too many big pass plays.  And if you need a pass rush to fix the pass defense, then why take two safeties with premium positions when those should be used to get pass rushers?  The logic is flawed, we’ve been noting it here for a while and only now are they starting to even tacitly acknowledge it by calling around and asking what the price is for Mack.  

Like I said, I agree with every point you made.  But the two safeties were 2017.  Ngakoue was 2016.  The year we took Lee and Hack, which you can argue is even worse.  But I have a hard time killing Macc for passing on a guy who went in the 3rd.  That 2016 is looking like a weak draft class across the NFL.  A couple of teams found some gems, but most teams are probably disappointed in the returns they have gotten from 2016.

The worst part about 2016 is that I remember reading that Dallas wanted Paxton Lynch and wanted to trade with us to move up ahead of Denver.  But we stayed put and took Darron Lee.

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

Like I said, I agree with every point you made.  But the two safeties were 2017.  Ngakoue was 2016.  The year we took Lee and Hack, which you can argue is even worse.  But I have a hard time killing Macc for passing on a guy who went in the 3rd.  That 2016 is looking like a weak draft class across the NFL.  A couple of teams found some gems, but most teams are probably disappointed in the returns they have gotten from 2016.

The worst part about 2016 is that I remember reading that Dallas wanted Paxton Lynch and wanted to trade with us to move up ahead of Denver.  But we stayed put and took Darron Lee.

I didn’t see the game last night and only know what i read on this forum.  Sounds like lee played decent, which is what mccags wants from his 1st round picks - consistent play, sacrificing some upside for risk.  That’s why we have no pass rushers. 

55 minutes ago, faba said:

Sam e problems we have had no pass rush at all offensive line including tight ends inconsistent blocking and showing lack of depth. Penalties killing the team

Issues that could have been addressed in free agency and the draft were not addressed. I understand an edge is not something you can get very easily, but OL help was there in both and doesn't look like Maccagnan gave it a 2nd thought. 

As someone said above... the team is very likely not as bad as it looks right now.

still...it bothers me to see the Jets looking worse...as the pre-season rolls on.

game 4 is pretty meaningless...so all eyes will be on the opener. Being away..in a dome..against a decent opponent, I’m not expecting a win. But hopefully not a disaster either.

Archived