Game Observations (NYG)

KRL

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

I don’t agree.  If we try to stash him on our practice squad New England or another smart team will grab him and make him this years Woodhead.   He has speed moves and good hands - he should become a dangerous weapon for us

He looks totally overwhelmed to me. Almost scared. While I understand the Woodhead angst the pats don't have a track record of putting fumblers on the 53 man roster

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

The kid has done nothing but stand out to this point at the important Running back stuff . Being mad at him for not being good at something he never did till he got here is interesting .  Still doubt he gets cut be we shall see

I agree he won't get cut. Not mad, disappointed. I wanted to see him and Nickerson last night at least the kid is healthy ill give him that.

not easy for some rookies to get through camp without hammy issues

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Hide your eyes here are the self inflicted wounds the Jets committed

The starting field position for Darnold's drives:

- 25 yard line, TD
- 10 yard line, punt
- 15 yard line, punt (Josh Martin holding penalty on kick
  return set them back)
- 50 yard line, TD
- 25 yard line, punt (Neal Sterling bobble on 15 yard out
  kills drive)
- 12 yard line, punt (Chris Herndon personal foul on kick
  return set them back)
- 20 yard line, punt

The points given away by various units:

- TD on the punt return
- 1 point taken off the board on the missed PAT
- FG on a drive extended by Jordan Jenkins penalty on 3rd & 15
- FG on the fumble by Trenton Cannon
- FG on poor punt coverage just before halftime

This squad isnt good enough to put themselves in wholes like this and recover to win games.  

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's always a fair excuse for preseason but given the extent of the failures I'd be shocked if this doesn't carry over to the regular season. The most basic fundamentals aren't being executed. You learn lane discipline on kick coverage in high school. NFL preseason week 3 we had almost half the punt coverage team abandoning their lanes. It's almost like it's not even being discussed. ?

Normally Id agree but there are a lot of bubble guys trying to make the team that are given a chance who arent going to even be on the team in a week or two.  

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

What do you think is more likely- that lane discipline has not been discussed, or that players lack the discipline necessary to do what theyve been coached to do?

I wonder how many players make it to the NFL level without having the discipline necessary to do what they've been coached to do.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

He looks totally overwhelmed to me. Almost scared. While I understand the Woodhead angst the pats don't have a track record of putting fumblers on the 53 man roster

Its funny that he has good hands for catching passes but not so good for punts and kickoffs.   I’d guesss it’s a confidence and comfort level kind of thing, and that he will get better over time.     I don’t see  the ball security issues on runs.   Meanwhile Rawls has been putting a lot of balls on the carpet, so it’s not like we have a better choice for RB3 with McGuire out

One observation I had after rewatching the Darnold possessions is that he had only one bad throw the entire night, that being the pass that was batted down at the line shortly before halftime. The other seven incompletions were drops (there were three clear drops by Anderson, Herndon and Walford), throw-aways under pressure and one pass to Sterling down the right sideline, on a go route, that was slightly underthrown but still catchable if Sterling had been more adroit at keeping his feet inbounds.

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

It was so bad I was expecting one of the giants kick offs that Cannon casually let bounce over his head take a funny bounce and get recovered by the giants lol

Dont think that rule exists anymore.  ANy ball that hits the EZ is an automatic touch back

49 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

There’s is no technique that’s gonna stop the TE from 2 drive killing false starts . Gotta start holding these players accountable for there **** ups too . Todd Bowles ain’t the one committing these penalties 

58 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Got to disagree a bit that "The OL was solid in pass protection" Inconsistent is how I would call it. In the opening TD drive alone there were two forced throw away's with Darnold running to prevent a sack.  If Darnold wasn't as mobile as he is there would have been several sacks in the 1st half.   On other plays the OL held up fine, just VERY inconsistent.  Actually on Darnold's one bad play, the intentional grounding, the OL held up pretty well, Darnold just held the ball in the same spot to long. 

I really again liked how Darnold looked.  He made a few rookie mistakes, but for the most part seems to have a real grasp of what is expected of him.  On 1st TD overcame two forced throw aways, a dropped ball, and a penalty on the edge of field goal range.  Also converted a 3rd and 13.  Very happy with Darnold.

The team in general looks like a mob.  ST's got to the point that it became funny.  Just a total lack of discipline, and focus.  The pass rush is a joke.  Won't be surprised to see the Jets over pay to bring in a pass rusher this week in a trade.  

Tomlinson was guilty of one of the pressures that resulted in a loss of yards as Darnold ran out of bounds. Vernon just ran over him as if he wasn't there. That plus the penalties makes me wonder if he played himself out of a job last night, given his strength is supposedly as a blocker.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I wonder how many players make it to the NFL level without having the discipline necessary to do what they've been coached to do.

Think about how many NFL players don’t even have the discipline to stay out of criminal situations that could derail their careers

Great write up

The D has been bending but not breaking. No TDs given up all preseason. While they have been too soft in pass coverage, I will save most of my judgment for the reg season when we go back to playing more press-man. We are going to blitz a hell of a lot this season so our secondary is gonna have to hold up in one-on-one coverage. 

Darnold should start week 1. The door should be slammed shut on Teddy or anyone else getting the keys against Detroit. His stats don’t wow you, but watching him play he can handle it mentally. He will take some lumps and that’s fine, but he’s at the point where he isn’t gonna learn by holding a clipboard. He will learn how to play against certain schemes as we go, but the game isn’t too fast for him to the point where it’s a detriment to the team. 

OL is a huge concern, underrately in the running game. They get no push whatsoever. That is troubling because I know Bates would like to take some heat off the rookie by establishing a running game then building off of it with play action later in the game. I think our RB rotation is fine, we just need to create some space for them. 

STs is a disaster and will probably cost us a game or two this season. It’s probably a combination of coaching , and the bottom of the roster(which makes up the bulk of STs) being terrible. Our kicking game is fine but our coverage is terrible, and the lack of ball security on returns is inexcusable, preseason or not. Cannon shouldn’t be allowed to touch another kick return for a while. 

Way too many penalties.  Guys just need to be benched if they can’t play discipline. That’s probably the only way to fix it with this year’s group. 

Mac is gonna have his work cut out for him next year.  Yes this is still a rebuilding project, but now with a QB here to develop he has to put this team in a position to trend upward. I still reserve judgement on a few guys he’s drafted that get a lot of flack on this board but indeed the clock is ticking....

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Its funny that he has good hands for catching passes but not so good for punts and kickoffs.   I’d guesss it’s a confidence and comfort level kind of thing, and that he will get better over time.     I don’t see  the ball security issues on runs.   Meanwhile Rawls has been putting a lot of balls on the carpet, so it’s not like we have a better choice for RB3 with McGuire out

He does look good catching it as a RB.  I remember Parcells personally coaching the punt returner his first year. It's crucial to field position. Little things like sprinting to where the ball is coming down so you can set your feet. I aways look for that in punt returner to this day lol.

There was that wheel route or whatever where he got 4 yards behind the defender.he does have skill I just can't justify putting him on the 53.

9 hours ago, KRL said:

Defense

-  They aren't getting off the field on 3rd downs,

This has been the complaint of this defense for about 10 years.  Now, the NFL is making it harder and harder to even have a defensive game.  Under the guise of 'player protection,' they are wishing to open up the game offensively, wanting scores similar to the CFL.  If they want that, they should open the field up more and give more room to run.  But anywhoooo.

The only way to have any chance in today's NFL from a defensive standpoint is to have a pass rush and man-corners.  Yet this is the very thing we have ignored for 10 years, choosing to use 'exotic-blitzes' and 'disguised cover schemes.'

If I may, here is another suggestion: Draft pass-rushers every year so there are two on the team at any given time.  Its a little outside the box thinking, but hey....

11 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Think about how many NFL players don’t even have the discipline to stay out of criminal situations that could derail their careers

They don't get to the NFL because they're fine upstanding citizens. They got there by being good on the football field. That obviously means they're following coaching instructions along the way and not free styling it.

51 minutes ago, Larz said:

Cannon can sit on the PS for a year but I don't want him on the 53 man roster and he should never ever play on special teams again.

Edwards is out kicking the coverage. Better hang time please

Cannon wouldn't make it to the Jets practice squad if they cut him. He'd be scooped up immediately. I agree that he should not be out there on specials but, he should not only make the team, he should see real action in the regular season. 

The Jets' running game this preseason has been atrocious. Cannon has been the closest thing to a bright spot there, plus he can catch the ball. The Jets are hoping to run these zone blocked sweeps and Cannon's speed is ideal for that. He a guy they need to get on the field and get the ball in his hands. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Cannon wouldn't make it to the Jets practice squad if they cut him. He'd be scooped up immediately. I agree that he should not be out there on specials but, he should not only make the team, he should see real action in the regular season. 

The Jets' running game this preseason has been atrocious. Cannon has been the closest thing to a bright spot there, plus he can catch the ball. The Jets are hoping to run these zone blocked sweeps and Cannon's speed is ideal for that. He a guy they need to get on the field and get the ball in his hands. 

Powell has looked alright.  

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

He does look good catching it as a RB.  I remember Parcells personally coaching the punt returner his first year. It's crucial to field position. Little things like sprinting to where the ball is coming down so you can set your feet. I aways look for that in punt returner to this day lol.

There was that wheel route or whatever where he got 4 yards behind the defender.he does have skill I just can't justify putting him on the 53.

He'd be a nice weapon for the offense to have. To not put him on the 53 because they're forcing him to be a returner is stupid. He's clearly not good at it. Find someone else and use him on offense all over the field. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Based on a few camp tweets?

I get that this fan base is desperate for a playmaker but the kid puts the ball on the ground.

I don't think any team puts him on their 53 man roster.

There will be a ton of RBs on the market on cut down day and fumblers clear waivers

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Powell has looked alright.  

He's averaging 2.1 ypc on 22 preseason attempts. 

I like Powell, but he's a complimentary player. Jets are clearly going to be running a RBBC this year. Cannon needs to be part of the committee. Hopefully, the run blocking improves as the OL adjusts to the zone blocking, too. 

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He'd be a nice weapon for the offense to have. To not put him on the 53 because they're forcing him to be a returner is stupid. He's clearly not good at it. Find someone else and use him on offense all over the field. 

How many backs dress on GameDay, 3?

Usually the 3rd guy plays specials?

you can't dress him for 4 touches

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I get that this fan base is desperate for a playmaker but the kid puts the ball on the ground.

There will be a ton of RBs on the market on cut down day and fumblers clear waivers

I expect him to make the team. We'll see. 

23 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Tomlinson was guilty of one of the pressures that resulted in a loss of yards as Darnold ran out of bounds. Vernon just ran over him as if he wasn't there. That plus the penalties makes me wonder if he played himself out of a job last night, given his strength is supposedly as a blocker.

Thought the same thing last night.  Good news for him is that all the TE's sucked last night.  

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

How many fumbles does he have carrying the ball out the backfield  ?

im not talking bout muffing punts or fumble he had in the kick return.. 

Catching the ball as returner is something completely different . It’s not a easy job at all it why we have so much trouble finding a decent return guy. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

He's averaging 2.1 ypc on 22 preseason attempts. 

I like Powell, but he's a complimentary player. Jets are clearly going to be running a RBBC this year. Cannon needs to be part of the committee. Hopefully, the run blocking improves as the OL adjusts to the zone blocking, too. 

Hard to evaluate the backs given how bad the run blocking is.  Hopefully its a product of new system and the injured lineman getting back in sync with the line.  Otherwise we just suck

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I expect him to make the team. We'll see. 

I expect my phone to blow up if he does ?

It's all about roster construction for him. 

That's probably why they are force feeding him specials. The fumble on the KOR was brutal for him, that's why he was drafted, his KOR ability 

I know this is the debate we had about Woodhead, but you can't have backups that you can't play on specials 

Maybe next week he fixes it, we can hope 

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

I expect my phone to blow up if he does ?

It's all about roster construction for him. 

That's probably why they are force feeding him specials. The fumble on the KOR was brutal for him, that's why he was drafted, his KOR ability 

I know this is the debate we had about Woodhead, but you can't have backups that you can't play on specials 

Maybe next week he fixes it, we can hope 

He was drafted with hope he could he do it . Even though he didn’t have a history of doing it .. Instead he has been a way better Running back . His natural posistion 

Being returner isnt the only job on special teams.. so just because he won’t be the returner doesn’t mean he can’t play on special teams ..

mcguire ain’t no returner and he made the team.  

Just now, Scoop24 said:

He was drafted with hope he could he do it . Even though he didn’t have a history of doing it .. Instead he has been a way better Running back . His natural posistion 

Being returner isnt the only job on special teams.. so just because he won’t be the returner doesn’t mean he can’t play on special teams ..

Hey before I'm cast as the Cannon hater, I posted last night that I wanted to see a 90 yard touchdown from him for the good of the whole board. 

We are all desperate for that playmaker on offense. 

If he is still getting specials reps next week he has a chance of sticking, if not he's in trouble 

44 minutes ago, rustyztwo said:

Good efforts by Lachlan Edwards (P)???

A short punt (TD) and a few long line drives that out kicked the coverage is not a good effort.
A good effort would include hang time with no returns or out of bounds inside the 20.

I am not a guy to break down game film -- but I took a look back at the punt return TD.  Here are a few screen shots that I grabbed:

image.png

Peake is the gunner on the near side.  McBride at the far side.  Next shot is right after the ball is kicked:

image.png

Peake has either allowed himelf to be forced inside the hash at the 15 yard line, or he intentionally took that route.  Either Peake took a wrong route, got pushed out of his lane, or Edwards needs to kick the ball outside the far hash.  The entire near side is undefended, not a single defender outside the near hash.

image.png

Sharp catches the ball in the center of the field on the far hash.  He has two blockers and we have only one guy (mcBride) in the picture within 12 yards of him.  Nobody on the left side.  Not sure if this is on Peake for abandoning his lane or if the punt was designed to go towards the far side and Edwards put it in the wrong place.

Like i said, I am not normally a guy to break down film, so I may be completely off base in my assessment, but it just jumped out at me when watching the play just how bad it was and I wanted to see how Sharp had so much room when he fielded the punt.

9 hours ago, KRL said:

Defense

- Yes, the defense hasn't given up a TD in the pre-season but they have
been softer than cotton.  They aren't getting off the field on 3rd downs, the
offense is gaining too much in field position and controlling the clock.  If
the defense does stop them our offense is pinned back which causes them to be
conservative to protect a young QB

Not to nitpick on an otherwise great report, but the Gints were only 2/12 on 3rd down yesterday (16%).

Archived