Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maxman

Offensive play calling

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

What's the old saying you can't change the stripes on a tiger . Bowles is quite happy losing close games. Opening the offense up gives us the possibility of being a competent offensive unit , but it also opens the possibility to get blown out a few times - can't have that happen on the defensive genius' watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually dig the 3-TE line up.

Neal Sterling was a WR in college, Enunwa has doubled as an H-back, and Herndon is supposedly fluid for his size. So while the jersey numbers may indicate “13 personnel”, it can kinda be like 4 TEs, OR, being sneaky with 2 WRs... either way, we can run a lot of short-medium area passing plays, a strength for our accurate WCO QB, or blast out some power runs with our new hammer (Crowell) in outside zones.

im cool with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KRL said:

Take it from me, there are a ton of concepts/elements that Bates
hasn't shown yet

I've heard that about almost every OC the Jets have employed under the reign of glorified DC's posing as Head Coaches. I like Bates I really do , I'd feel a  ton more comfortable if his head coach was someone like a Doug Pederson or Sean Payton . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree to some extent , but you have to stretch the field to pull the Lber's & safeties out of the box. 

If Bates/Bowles are worth their money they'll throw deep at least some but also implement screens and mis-directions to take advantage of the opposing pass rush. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I actually think that the Jets are doing this as a strategy in order to develop Darnold.  Remember Darnold had no problem with taking chances of throwing the ball down the field while he was in college.

But I really believe that the Jets want Darnold to understand the intricacies of the West Coast passing game basing it by extension on some concepts he worked on in college. 

This is really smart IMO because it makes Darnold build upon what he already knew and play to his accuracy strengths.  And we can see this by some of Darnold's own comments about being able to read the defenses better now than in college.

The slants and crossing routes will come and it will make Darnold even more effective. @Jet_Engine1

Darnold will now know all of the basic bailout routes on the various trees in the West Coast system and will be able to make lighting fast decisions based on that knowledge.  The upcoming variations will of course include the vertical passing game which will be more effective as a direct result of this early emphasis, at least I hope so.... :) 

I agree. I think they are still installing  Offensive  basics for Sam. 

Not worried about sam or Bates. Worried about the neglect of the offensive line, the dearth or real playmakers (treating Anderson like anything more than a Martavis Bryant clone is absurd), the philosophy  of the current Head Coach, the underwhelming defense, the disaster STs are shaping up to be, the bad roster management, poor overall  talent, zero depth, awful assistant coaching, and a couple of other things. 

But I don't  think Darnold is a pussy thats afraid to throw deep. LOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

I actually dig the 3-TE line up.

Neal Sterling was a WR in college, Enunwa has doubled as an H-back, and Herndon is supposedly fluid for his size. So while the jersey numbers may indicate “13 personnel”, it can kinda be like 4 TEs, OR, being sneaky with 2 WRs... either way, we can run a lot of short-medium area passing plays, a strength for our accurate WCO QB, or blast out some power runs with our new hammer (Crowell) in outside zones.

im cool with it. 

W/o some downfield passing and with this OL we'll not have a run game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

What's the old saying you can't change the stripes on a tiger . Bowles is quite happy losing close games. Opening the offense up gives us the possibility of being a competent offensive unit , but it also opens the possibility to get blown out a few times - can't have that happen on the defensive genius' watch. 

because losing close games gives him "the best chance to win" as opposed to losing lopsidedly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I agree. I think they are still installing  Offensive  basics for Sam. 

Not worried about sam or Bates. Worried about the neglect of the offensive line, the dearth or real playmakers (treating Anderson like anything more than a Martavis Bryant clone is absurd), the philosophy  of the current Head Coach, the underwhelming defense, the disaster STs are shaping up to be, the bad roster management, poor overall  talent, zero depth, awful assistant coaching, and a couple of other things. 

But I don't  think Darnold is a pussy thats afraid to throw deep. LOL. 

I think all this short stuff is to force Sam to check off and make quick decisions. I saw him in college.  Downfield passing does not concern him.  I have one question though:  why do other teams' receivers always seem more open than our guys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think all this short stuff is to force Sam to check off and make quick decisions. I saw him in college.  Downfield passing does not concern him.  I have one question though:  why do other teams' receivers always seem more open than our guys?

Because our defense is crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think all this short stuff is to force Sam to check off and make quick decisions. I saw him in college.  Downfield passing does not concern him.  I have one question though:  why do other teams' receivers always seem more open than our guys?

Not only that, but why when we blitz the other team always picks up every blitzer, but when we blitz,  we do not sniff the QB and a long completion usually ensues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not only that, but why when we blitz the other team always picks up every blitzer, but when we blitz,  we do not sniff the QB and a long completion usually ensues.
You're not the only one who wonders why..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A ton of people were pissed off with with Gailey and Morton's play calling in the previous few pre-seasons and they both led us to pretty good/respectable offenses when it came to the regular season.

I think I read a couple of nights ago that the Eagles offensive starters have manufactured 0TDs so far this pre-season.  They're running out a Super Bowl MVP at QB in a scheme that many believe can make any halfway decent QB look great and put up points.

Last year DeShone Kizer and the Browns offense led the team to a 4-0 record, looked like they were finally going to have a team that could put it all together and, and when the regular season came, they faltered.

No team in the NFL goes all out in the pre-season on offense or defense.  Right now teams hold back heavily in terms of scheme, play calling, and gameplanning.  They also do things and experiment with ideas in certain situations that they would, almost certainly, never do when it counts.  Personally?  I'm a fan of Bates.  That being said, he could either be the best guy we've had in years and a possible HC candidate for us (depending on what happens with Bowles) and other teams, or he could be on par with Schottenheimer, another "too smart for his own good" Xs and Os type of OC who has no idea how to call a game.  The truth is we won't have any idea as to what we have in him until the regular season starts and progresses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I actually think that the Jets are doing this as a strategy in order to develop Darnold.  Remember Darnold had no problem with taking chances of throwing the ball down the field while he was in college.

But I really believe that the Jets want Darnold to understand the intricacies of the West Coast passing game basing it by extension on some concepts he worked on in college. 

This is really smart IMO because it makes Darnold build upon what he already knew and play to his accuracy strengths.  And we can see this by some of Darnold's own comments about being able to read the defenses better now than in college.

The slants and crossing routes will come and it will make Darnold even more effective. @Jet_Engine1

Darnold will now know all of the basic bailout routes on the various trees in the West Coast system and will be able to make lighting fast decisions based on that knowledge.  The upcoming variations will of course include the vertical passing game which will be more effective as a direct result of this early emphasis, at least I hope so.... :) 

This is the only silver lining that I saw with this whole situation. The negative Jet fan in me is worried about our typically stupid coaching staff. I’m just a worst case scenario type at this point with this team but was thinking the same thing as you.

This could work out great that they are focusing on areas he is not used to specifically and putting him in VERY difficult positions purposely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is the only silver lining that I saw with this whole situation. The negative Jet fan in me is worried about our typically stupid coaching staff. I’m just a worst case scenario type at this point with this team but was thinking the same thing as you.

This could work out great that they are focusing on areas he is not used to specifically and putting him in VERY difficult positions purposely. 

And as the negative fan in you goes, it is right about 99.9% of the time so there is that.....

But I see Darnold being different, he is throwing darts and he is only 21 years of age! As long as his health holds I think that we have a real winner, FOR ONCE!!!! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Because our defense is crap.

I am not impressed with our defencse.  Bend but dont break means talent shortage. And of course, no pass rush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our FO has to address the offense in terms of personnel before our OC can coach them up.  Today's NFL is geared toward a passing offense.  We do not have a quality line for pass protection.  Our only hope is the refs calling roughing the passer penalties, but then we jeopardize the health of our QB.   Ownership has to step in and make a change.  Defense first in both philosophy and drafting has gotten us nowhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold proved in college he's a dangerous QB off broken plays. I'm sure they've worked on broken play routes where Robby turns it up field for deep shots. There is no reason to show a lot in preseason. That way the Lions & Patricia only see basic routes on film & don't have much to go on regarding Bates & this young QB without a lot of tape. What I love about Bates is he's already said he's not gonna mess with Darnolds supposed hitch & release (Sam has already proven he gets the ball out quickly). I'm positive he's not going to neuter Sam regarding the IT factor he has off broken plays. This will be a very similar growth pattern you saw with Holmgren & Favre. 

Holmgren always worked on the basics with Favre, regarding the WCO and how to operate in it, what Holmgren couldn't teach were the no, no, no, plays Favre made when a play broke down that ended in yes, yes, yes, and a crazy azz TD throw. You'd see it all the time in that relationship & after Favre would make a great play You'd see Holmgren look at him trotting off the field, shake his head & smile. Don't stifle natural talent is the moral of that story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social

Get Winning Picks

×