Report: Four Teams Making Serious bid for Khalil Mack, Jets Included?

JetNation

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the people who have no problem giving up two first rounders, I really have trouble figuring out what you're thinking. Do you really think the addition of Mack is going to make the team a Super Bowl contender? Because that's the only possible way you could justify surrendering so much capital. If you really do think that, please remember a few things:

1)  Oakland Raiders finished 6-10 last year with a healthy, robust Mack playing all games. And the Oakland Raiders have a better roster than the Jets. 

2) The Eagles and  the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl last year without having a player with double-digit sacks. They did it with good defensive schemes and a bunch of players who are good, not great, at rushing the QB. That's the strategy the Jets should be striving for. You can't double-team a defensive game plan like this.

3) The Jets roster is full of holes, starting with the offensive line and offensive skill positions, that need to be filled using those draft picks you want to give away. Which leads to the final point ...

4) We finally have a franchise QB, and we need to draft players to build around him. That means a blue-chip left tackle, a stud running back, and an All-Pro wide receiver for starters. Plus, by the time Darnold will be hitting his prime in three or so years, Mack is going to be 30 years old.

I could live with giving up one first rounder for Mack. Giving up two is crazy.

13 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

For the people who have no problem giving up two first rounders, I really have trouble figuring out what you're thinking. Do you really think the addition of Mack is going to make the team a Super Bowl contender? Because that's the only possible way you could justify surrendering so much capital. If you really do think that, please remember a few things:

1)  Oakland Raiders finished 6-10 last year with a healthy, robust Mack playing all games. And the Oakland Raiders have a better roster than the Jets. 

2) The Eagles and  the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl last year without having a player with double-digit sacks. They did it with good defensive schemes and a bunch of players who are good, not great, at rushing the QB. That's the strategy the Jets should be striving for. You can't double-team a defensive game plan like this.

3) The Jets roster is full of holes, starting with the offensive line and offensive skill positions, that need to be filled using those draft picks you want to give away. Which leads to the final point ...

4) We finally have a franchise QB, and we need to draft players to build around him. That means a blue-chip left tackle, a stud running back, and an All-Pro wide receiver for starters. Plus, by the time Darnold will be hitting his prime in three or so years, Mack is going to be 30 years old.

To me #2 is the key point. Other teams who do not have top end edge rush talent find ways to generate a pass rush , they exploit matchups and create blitz packages and schemes that disrupt their opponents offense.

I'd like just once for the Kacy/Bowles combination to devise a game plan that keeps an offense guessing. I'm sick of the, this is what we do see if you can beat us BS. 

3 hours ago, jack48 said:

You said we were not going to a Super Bowl in your first comment. I just think the Jets always start with a plan, then do something to deviate from it.  I want them to stick to it.  I just remarked tht Mack had not really delivered Super Bowls in Oakland.  The book is a novel by Ruith Rendell, who  wrote mysteries and psychological novels.  In this novel, a character is making a case for Richard III, that he did not have his nephews murdered.  It was interesting.  Most historians think he was guilty, of course.

Josephine Tey,  Daughter of Time

11 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Report: Mack likely to continue holdout into regular season

by Jack Browne 
Kirby Lee / USA TODAY Sports

The Oakland Raiders' nightmare with holdout Khalil Mack will apparently extend into the regular season.

The star defensive end and the Raiders have made no progress in contract negotiations, and Mack will likely now miss regular-season games as a result, a source told Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports

Another source added the situation has become a "pay him or trade him" conversation. The New York Jets are reportedly among more than a dozen teams who've inquired about a move for Mack.

The 2016 Defensive Player of the Year is pushing to be the NFL's highest-paid defender (currently Von Miller is at just over $19 million per season), but Oakland hasn't engaged with its top pass-rusher in months, a source told Robinson. 

While head coach Jon Gruden hasn't been directly involved in talks with Mack, he will reportedly have final say over the player's fate.

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Spot on.  Well spellled out. Agree completely

41 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Report: Mack likely to continue holdout into regular season

by Jack Browne 
Kirby Lee / USA TODAY Sports

The Oakland Raiders' nightmare with holdout Khalil Mack will apparently extend into the regular season.

The star defensive end and the Raiders have made no progress in contract negotiations, and Mack will likely now miss regular-season games as a result, a source told Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports

Another source added the situation has become a "pay him or trade him" conversation. The New York Jets are reportedly among more than a dozen teams who've inquired about a move for Mack.

The 2016 Defensive Player of the Year is pushing to be the NFL's highest-paid defender (currently Von Miller is at just over $19 million per season), but Oakland hasn't engaged with its top pass-rusher in months, a source told Robinson. 

While head coach Jon Gruden hasn't been directly involved in talks with Mack, he will reportedly have final say over the player's fate.

Thanks for posting this properly, I'm technologically challenged.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You care how many games they lost by a score, but not how many games they won by a score?  A little hypocritical, no?  They beat the Browns by 3 points. The ******* Browns.  The 2017 Jets were not a good team, and they were not "close" to a good team.

So did the Steelers (4 points the second time).

Twice.

Screenshot_20180828-163309.png

Tennessee also only won by 3. 

Screenshot_20180828-164020.png

8 hours ago, freestater said:

The asking price is pretty steep. I could be talked into a single 1st + a starter

Easily.  

I mean, I get the initial hesitation from some people here, but those who would lose their minds over trading a first should stop, think, and realize that the entire point of the draft is to find a player like Mack.  With the way he has played, he goes no later than 2nd overall in a re-draft of his class.  I'd go as far as betting that he goes over Clowney in a re-draft.  He plays the 2nd most important position in the league and he's on a HOF pace.  We ALSO have the money to afford him, our young core, AND OL in free agency.

That all being said, I'm doubling down on my bet and sticking to what I said.  There is a better chance of pigs flying than of me posting a video of me pissing in a pair of my pants because I was wrong and we landed Mack.  

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So did the Steelers (4 points the second time).

Twice.

Tennessee also only won by 3. 

You didn't need the screenshots.  It's not like I wouldn't believe you.  I am not entirely sure of your purpose in posting it, after I finally gave up blathering on about this meaningless topic.  This actually supports my point.  Good teams beat bad teams.  They don't always do it by huge margins, but they usually do it.  Parity has been the NFL's mantra for ages.  I think the median differential in an NFL game is 8 points.

My other point was, if you are going to consider games we weren't blown out in almost wins, shouldn't you consider the games we barely won almost losses?   

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

The Eagles and Patriots also made it to the Super Bowl without blue chip left tackles (Peters -injured/ Solder - Good at best), stud running backs or All-pro receivers. The only Eagles receiver that would even get playing time on this Jets team is Alshon.

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You didn't need the screenshots.  It's not like I wouldn't believe you.  I am not entirely sure of your purpose in posting it, after I finally gave up blathering on about this meaningless topic.  This actually supports my point.  Good teams beat bad teams.  They don't always do it by huge margins, but they usually do it.  Parity has been the NFL's mantra for ages.  I think the median differential in an NFL game is 8 points.

My other point was, if you are going to consider games we weren't blown out in almost wins, shouldn't you consider the games we barely won almost losses?   

Well you mentioned that the margin was only 3 points and i came across as "we beat the Browns by 3, therefore we sucked".  I was just basically trying to say how little the margin truly means when determining who is good and who is bad.  There is so much more than box scores.  

To your 2nd point?  For me, it depends on how the game unfolded.  If you beat a team that was heavily favored (ex: Us vs KC)?  No.  If it's flipped and you were the team that was heavily favored?  Absolutely.  Most importantly, if the loss is a result of an undisciplined team shooting themselves in the foot (see: Us vs Miami *in Miami* 2017), to me that is a better indicator of good team vs a bad team.

I am the furthest thing from an optimist on this board..but even I have to admit that there is a decent chance that we beat New Orleans or San Diego (possibly both) with McCown given how tough we played the two of them with Bryce Petty under center.  There's even a faint chance that we beat New England the final week of the season because their starters didn't play the entire game and we would have been actually fighting for a good note to close the season on. 

At the end of the day, I don't think we were bad at all last year.  This is coming from someone who struggled with seeing us winning one game going into the season.  I don't think we were great...but if McCown doesn't get hurt, there is a real chance we could have finished 7-9 or even 8-8.  Of course these are woulda, coulda, shouldas but they do help explain the circumstances and they do help shape the perception of the team.

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Eagles and Patriots also made it to the Super Bowl without blue chip left tackles (Peters -injured/ Solder - Good at best), stud running backs or All-pro receivers. The only Eagles receiver that would even get playing time on this Jets team is Alshon.

They also had Gronkowski and Ertz.  I think Solder's contract kind of tells you people consider him "blue chip."  The Eagles also traded for Ajayi. 

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Well you mentioned that the margin was only 3 points and i came across as "we beat the Browns by 3, therefore we sucked".  I was just basically trying to say how little the margin truly means when determining who is good and who is bad.  There is so much more than box scores.  

To your 2nd point?  For me, it depends on how the game unfolded.  If you beat a team that was heavily favored (ex: Us vs KC)?  No.  If it's flipped and you were the team that was heavily favored?  Absolutely.  Most importantly, if the loss is a result of an undisciplined team shooting themselves in the foot (see: Us vs Miami *in Miami* 2017), to me that is a better indicator of good team vs a bad team.

I am the furthest thing from an optimist on this board..but even I have to admit that there is a decent chance that we beat New Orleans or San Diego (possibly both) with McCown given how tough we played the two of them with Bryce Petty under center.  There's even a faint chance that we beat New England the final week of the season because their starters didn't play the entire game and we would have been actually fighting for a good note to close the season on. 

At the end of the day, I don't think we were bad at all last year.  This is coming from someone who struggled with seeing us winning one game going into the season.  I don't think we were great...but if McCown doesn't get hurt, there is a real chance we could have finished 7-9 or even 8-8.  Of course these are woulda, coulda, shouldas but they do help explain the circumstances and they do help shape the perception of the team.

I don't disagree, except for the not thinking we were bad at all.  Maybe compared to expectations.  We were solid considering it was a lost season spent trying to hit the reset button and get assets together for a QB.  It seems they got the QB and were able to keep things together and continue fighting in most games.  They were far from a good team though IMO.

58 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Easily.  

I mean, I get the initial hesitation from some people here, but those who would lose their minds over trading a first should stop, think, and realize that the entire point of the draft is to find a player like Mack.  With the way he has played, he goes no later than 2nd overall in a re-draft of his class.  I'd go as far as betting that he goes over Clowney in a re-draft.  He plays the 2nd most important position in the league and he's on a HOF pace.  We ALSO have the money to afford him, our young core, AND OL in free agency.

That all being said, I'm doubling down on my bet and sticking to what I said.  There is a better chance of pigs flying than of me posting a video of me pissing in a pair of my pants because I was wrong and we landed Mack.  

I agree with you. Macc definitely seems like a value guy in trades. Anderson, Kearse. Marshall. 

98% of Mac’s draft picks have ranged from bad to horrible yet jets fans don’t want to give up two first round picks for their first real pass rusher since Abe because they might miss out on the next Darron Lee or Christian Hackenberg 

14 hours ago, kdels62 said:

That's why the Jets WR group is underrated. 4 guys who have gone over 800 yards, 2 over 1000. I know, I know, Robbie did not go over 1000, but would have EASILY if McCown didn't get hurt. 

Alshon is probably borderline top 10 wr in the league if not close, aside from him I think agolar would get some playing time on this roster.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

35 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Alshon is probably borderline top 10 wr in the league if not close, aside from him I think agolar would get some playing time on this roster.

I love Alshon, I wanted him when we drafted Stephen Hill but he’s always injured and even then I’d be glad to have him as our number 1. Agholor on the other hand is a poor man’s Enunwa. Literally every thing he does well Enunwa does better and then Enunwa does even more (like be automatic when tracking long balls).

My point is the Eagles skill positions aren’t the greatest individually but they form a great group. We might not have Alshon or Ertz but 1-4 on the receiver depth chart we’re better and we have the best deep threat in the league. 

The big lie told about the Eagles is that they’re this great drafting team that focused on assets around their QB. Howie Roseman was excellent at picking free agents and overpaying the right guys. Bradham, Jenkins, Mccleod, Roby, Brooks, Wisniewski, Chris Long, Blount, Jeffrey were all free agent signings that looked questionable because they were committing money to unknowns or players other teams viewed as expendable.

I love Alshon, I wanted him when we drafted Stephen Hill but he’s always injured and even then I’d be glad to have him as our number 1. Agholor on the other hand is a poor man’s Enunwa. Literally every thing he does well Enunwa does better and then Enunwa does even more (like be automatic when tracking long balls).
My point is the Eagles skill positions aren’t the greatest individually but they form a great group. We might not have Alshon or Ertz but 1-4 on the receiver depth chart we’re better and we have the best deep threat in the league. 
The big lie told about the Eagles is that they’re this great drafting team that focused on assets around their QB. Howie Roseman was excellent at picking free agents and overpaying the right guys. Bradham, Jenkins, Mccleod, Roby, Brooks, Wisniewski, Chris Long, Blount, Jeffrey were all free agent signings that looked questionable because they were committing money to unknowns or players other teams viewed as expendable.
Enunwa was bad his first couple of years agholar is still young he would warrant some type of play time

Jets have one eye on Khalil Mack, the other on the future

Khalil Mack has 40.5 sacks in 64 career games. Icon Sportswire

8:00 AM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
  •  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Saturday is the one-year anniversary of the Sheldon Richardson trade, the blockbuster move that provided the ammunition that led the New York Jets to Sam Darnold.

Is general manager Mike Maccagnan mulling another big trade?

The name on everybody's lips is Khalil Mack, the pass-rushing star whose future with the Oakland Raiders appears cloudy. Mack is holding out, looking for a new contract that will pay him quarterback-type money. The trade rumors are rampant and the Jets, desperate for an edge rusher, are being mentioned as a potential suitor.

Yes, the Jets have a level of interest in Mack, although it's hard to say how much because there's so much posturing. It's fair to say it's more than a passing interest and they're monitoring the situation, which is what you'd expect from a team that has a giant hole in its defense. Mack would fill the void nicely, but it will take heavy lifting by Maccagnan to make it happen.

Is it worth the effort? Absolutely. Players of Mack's ilk don't become available that often. If there's an opportunity to add an impact player in the front seven, any forward-thinking GM would investigate.

After solving the franchise's age-old quarterback problem -- assuming Darnold lives up to expectations -- Maccagnan's No. 1 objective is to find a dynamic pass-rusher for his defensive-minded coach, Todd Bowles. He can attack it one of two ways:

1. Go all-in on Mack. Any team that trades for Mack would have to deal its 2019 first-round pick and then some. One personnel executive said he wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders demand two first-round picks for the former NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

If the Jets agree to mortgage their future for one player, it will change the narrative surrounding the franchise. They'd be a win-now team as opposed to a building-for-tomorrow team. Basically, they'd be hitting the fast-forward button, confident Darnold can develop quickly into a championship-caliber quarterback during the Mack window. Mack is 27, so you're talking at least three prime years.

Remember, the Jets don't have a 2019 second-round pick. If they give up their first-rounder, too, it'll hamper their ability to improve Darnold's supporting cast on offense. Maccagnan must weigh that versus having a difference-maker such as Mack on defense. No doubt, he'd make them a playoff-ready defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

If the Jets can get Mack for a first-round pick and Teddy Bridgewater, they should do it in a heartbeat. In recent days, Raiders coach Jon Gruden has lamented his backup-quarterback situation with Connor Cook and EJ Manuel, saying he's not sure if the No. 2 quarterback is on the roster. Maybe he'd be interested in Bridgewater, whom the Jets are open to dealing. Chances are the Jets would have to add a sweetener, perhaps a player from their crowded receiving corps.

Don't forget about the money. Presumably, Mack is seeking at least $20 million a year, which would make him the highest-paid player in Jets history. But they have the ability to absorb that kind of deal, especially with a league-high $81 million in cap space for 2019. It will also be a few years before they have to shell out a mega quarterback contract, so the time is right to add a major piece such as Mack.

2. Follow last year's script: In other words, be patient, accumulate draft capital and use it to land one of the top pass-rushers in the 2019 draft, which will be loaded.

This was their mindset last year when the goal was to find a quarterback. They traded Richardson to the Seattle Seahawksfor wide receiver Jermaine Kearseand a second-round pick, which they packaged with their second-rounders in 2018 and 2019 to move up three spots in a quarterback-heavy draft. It worked brilliantly.

This year they don't have a trade chip as valuable as Richardson, but Bridgewater's value will soar if another team loses its starting quarterback in the coming weeks. Maccagnan would look like a genius if he can replace his second-round pick by dealing Bridgewater; he'd have a full complement of draft picks to chase a pass-rusher.

The downside to this approach is they'd have to live through another season without a top-tier pass-rusher, which could drag down the rest of the defense. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Mack is available, they have no excuse not to be interested.

Archived