Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

Sam Darnold Review – Pre-Season Week 3 (Giants)

Rate this topic

Spread the offense out, let Sam read the defense and attack accordingly. No need to keep 2 TE's to block and only release 2 WRs that just makes it worse on him. Give him options. 

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

It’s somewhat hard to decipher from this angle, but Darnold lets this ball go as a linebacker is crossing the target zone for Enunwa.  When Darnold releases the ball, the linebacker is directly in the path, but he’s expecting the defender to clear the zone. 

This is something I've noticed that he's done repeatedly in the clips that you've posted.  I think there were a couple of previous examples where a defender was driving on a shorter route, and he completed it to the receiver right behind him.  But in those 2 and this one, if you were to take a freeze frame when he was throwing the ball, it would look like he was throwing it directly to the defender.  And yet when the ball arrives, the receiver is wide open.

This really reminds me of the skill (i.e. his skill) of a point guard.  A basketball court is really crowded, and the understanding of not only where defenders are, but where they are *going*, is critical...

I mean, I guess this is what good QBs do...  But having watched *Jets* QBs, this ability of his seems other-worldly...  Especially given that this kind of anticipation typically comes from experience, and experience is one thing that he has in extremely short supply...

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

1. Week-3-Darnold-2.gif

This would fall under a great read with a decent throw, but miscommunication between Darnold and Robby Anderson.  The read on this is easily discernible, first read being Enunwa in the slot.  You can see Darnold make the read, as he sees the linebacker break inside to Enunwa, which meant he has to go towards his second read.  The most impressive aspect of this play is, once again, the anticipation.  Darnold starts his throwing motion, exactly at the same time as Anderson starting his break.  This wasn’t one of those “let’s see him break first, before throwing” moments from the QB, but rather exceptional anticipation.  It’s hard to see from this angle, but after Anderson makes his break, the receiver starts to slide towards the sideline, instead of a straight comeback route.  It looks like Darnold expected a straight comeback route, which is why the throw seems to trail inside.  A great read by Darnold here and he once again shows a notable ability to read defenses.

It's hard to see on this one, but Darnold's pass is actually tipped at the line and became wobbly as it approached Anderson. Probably why he dropped it.

9 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

It's hard to see on this one, but Darnold's pass is actually tipped at the line and became wobbly as it approached Anderson. Probably why he dropped it.

I thought it was a catch, though?

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

Great job again Alvin.

I love the Tomlinson commentary. That was bad live, looks even worse on the replay. I don't see him making the team.

Thanks.  

There was another one where Qvale got destroyed too.  I almost put it, but Darnold was rolling out and I couldn't see much developing down the field so he throws it away.  I kept it out.  But the defender literally takes him almost in the air and just slams him down to the floor and runs by him.  That was embarrassing. 

15 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Spread the offense out, let Sam read the defense and attack accordingly. No need to keep 2 TE's to block and only release 2 WRs that just makes it worse on him. Give him options. 

I can see a lot of 11 personnel with 3 receivers.  They did a good amount of play actions in this game, so I'm guessing they will keep the running back in most of the time.  I see a rotation of Pryor/Kearse/Anderson/Enunwa in regularly.

14 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I like his overall idea, that Bridgewater starting provides the most trade value, although I think Darnold is a step ahead, at least from what I've seen in the pre-season.  With Bridgewater, it's really just the health because he's already somewhat proven in the NFL.  His trade value is really dependent on an injury to a competitive team.  I don't think he can build up enough value to be worth it, unless a catastrophic injury occurs. 

For example, we have Jags as a possible option.  But they put in enough money for Bortles that they can't really afford to deviate.  They are hitting it close to the cap space next year (I think they are projected over) and Bortles carries a 16 million cap hit for dead money.  If Bridgewater does well in his time with the Jags, then we're going crazy with payments for them.  I don't see them being interested unless there is an injury, and it's somewhat similar for a lot of other options.  Almost every option depends on an injury.  

14 hours ago, thshadow said:

This is something I've noticed that he's done repeatedly in the clips that you've posted.  I think there were a couple of previous examples where a defender was driving on a shorter route, and he completed it to the receiver right behind him.  But in those 2 and this one, if you were to take a freeze frame when he was throwing the ball, it would look like he was throwing it directly to the defender.  And yet when the ball arrives, the receiver is wide open.

This really reminds me of the skill (i.e. his skill) of a point guard.  A basketball court is really crowded, and the understanding of not only where defenders are, but where they are *going*, is critical...

I mean, I guess this is what good QBs do...  But having watched *Jets* QBs, this ability of his seems other-worldly...  Especially given that this kind of anticipation typically comes from experience, and experience is one thing that he has in extremely short supply...

I completely agree.  In fact, I spent a decent amount of time looking at his basketball clips about a couple of months ago, because I was trying to figure out if basketball played a factor in his mechanics.  I had a whole theory working that his loopy motion was a result of basketball bounce rhythms.  Then he went and sped it up, and I figured it was useless to spend more time on something that was relevant.  

I think basketball does play a part, because he's done this a few times, and his anticipation is excellent.  I don't think I've seen a young QB be actually this good at reading the defense, although I never went deep with other QBs.  They are different QBs, but his anticipation reminds me of Russel Wilson.  He would make completions when people were covered, when things just randomly opened up.  

I think I mentioned it awhile back in some thread, but Geno (and Petty) had the problem of not having the ability to read angles when making throws.  In fact, that last game vs. Miami where Geno had that great game was the only time I saw him consistently get better at it.  There are throws where you need to drop the ball in, or zip it in, or put it in a spot where the defense just doesn't have a shot.  I saw the same problem with Paxton Lynch, and Josh Allen, guys that can make the reads one on one, but can't change angles for backside guys.  I didn't include it since it the article was running long, but I love the pace of the throw here.  His target (Walford) has two defenders on him, with one linebacker in front of the receiver.  The other linebacker is a step behind Walford playing a step in front of him, but a step to the side.  Darnold makes a great read here, because he can't lead Walford up the field because the linebacker would just get in the way.  Therefore, Darnold needs to go away from the initial defender, and past the second defender, so he throws a fastball to the back shoulder for Walford, because that's the only place where it's a possibility.  He pretty much put the ball exactly on the spot that he could get away with, but Walford couldn't just reel it in.  

I obviously broke down film for Jets QBs and it's a crap show.  They kept drafting guys from systems that just didn't translate over.  Sanchez was over-rated mainly because his USC team was vastly superior, and he couldn't carry a team.  Geno came from a system that just can't translate without sitting for a while, because the system is just too different.  He needed to rewire his read progressions, but never go there.  Petty in the same boat, but he had the same issue.  Fitzpatrick was horrible at in play progressions.  I didn't care about McCown to spend much time on it, lol.  

14 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Great catch, I missed that when reviewing this.  

14 hours ago, jack48 said:

I thought it was a catch, though?

It was dropped eventually. 

13 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Fantastic analysis!  Thanks for this!

Thank You.