Cousins left a guaranteed 90 million dollar deal on the table from the Jets

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an ironic, jetsy twist, their own incompetence helped save them from themselves. Sometimes it just comes down to a little luck, and it seems like the sun could finally be shining. 

Who cares Kirk Cousins is garbage. 

1) This isn't new news. We knew he turned down $90 million fully guaranteed back in April. 2) It's weird to me it's phrased as "he left $90 million fully guaranteed on the table" when he signed f

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i think he's ok, not more.

Ok was a billion times better than what we had. The situation we lucked into was impossible for any rational Jet fan to believe would happen. Sam Darnold is the best possible starting point a franchise can hope for in a potential franchise QB. That being said, Jets can still screw it up and take a gigantic dump of reality on our heads. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The QB position was going to be improved this off-season no matter what and free agency
was first up on the calendar.  I'll never criticize management for going after Cousins
because it showed they weren't half-stepping (like the Mets always do).  Once that
didn't work they took that same aggressive approach and applied it to the draft.  Having
Darnold for the next 15 years is better than giving Cousins more $$$ in 3 years   

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ok was a billion times better than what we had. The situation we lucked into was impossible for any rational Jet fan to believe would happen. Sam Darnold is the best possible starting point a franchise can hope for in a potential franchise QB. That being said, Jets can still screw it up and take a gigantic dump of reality on our heads. 

ya still dont pay that much.

i think the same about mcclown  and trumaine

13 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think had the Jets signed Cousins, the Jets would have stayed at 6 and drafted Quentin Nelson for the offensive line. They already signed Trumaine Johnson.

Mac has shown an inclination towards those impact positions early in the first round. 

1 hour ago, rldev said:

what does  6 million buy you for a house in Minnesota vs NY/NJ? Could be your 6 mill right there.

He gets to live in his in-laws' basement in Minnesota. He didn't have that option in NY/NJ. Pretty sure that was the deal-breaker. 

• Like 1

I agree with Costello, Cousins showed no class for exposing a private conversation and offer. We are better off without him.

Brian CostelloVerified account @BrianCoz 6 minutes ago

On Kirk Cousins, I think it is pretty weak of him to put the Jets’ offer out there in his documentary. He made a private conversation public. Also, clear he and his agent used the Jets to drive up the price for Vikings. In the end, I think Jets are better off with Darnold.

1 hour ago, Klecko73isGod said:

BEST NON-SIGNING IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL. 

Cousins is the single most overpaid athlete in history. We are going to be in much better shape in the long run for not doing this. 

Don't know if you are a baseball fan, but Kris Davis of the Orioles says hi.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

i fear we gonna see alotta the back of #22's jersey...      

image.png

still tryna figger out what the hell he's doing in no man's land covering no man.

We've missed having an expensive and overrated Cornerback for the last couple of years. 

Between Costello calling Cousins “classless” for revealing the unsavory details of Jets contract offer and Connor Hughes going after Bart Scott for calling Darron Lee “plush,” the Jets best kids seem to think there’s some hay to be made with the new PR guy by defending the team. Pretty silly, imo. Jets bashing has always been the more profitable route in media circles, by far. Consider how much less people discuss Mehta since he made the heel turn toward Mani Sunshine.

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

image.png

still tryna figger out what the hell he's doing in no man's land covering no man.

Did you even watch the play?  Johnson peeled off his assignment once he saw Eli throwing it deep.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000950621/Eli-Manning-goes-WAY-downtown-to-Latimer-for-54-yards

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I agree with Costello, Cousins showed no class for exposing a private conversation and offer. We are better off without him.

On Kirk Cousins, I think it is pretty weak of him to put the Jets’ offer out there in his documentary. He made a private conversation public. Also, clear he and his agent used the Jets to drive up the price for Vikings. In the end, I think Jets are better off with Darnold.

Makes me hope Leo crushes him in our game this year & he doesn't get up. Nothing serious just bad enough to make the Vikings dream of a Super Bowl flow right down the drain....oh, and thevJets end up winning the game on a Darnold scramble, throw on the run bullet with no time remaining. Am I asking too much? 

* Disclaimer..I was all in on Cousins. Thought 6 was no mans land, credit to big Macc getting up to 3. 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Wasn't the offer already public a long time ago? It's just now in video coming from Cousins mouth. Who the hell cares.

Everyone and their mother knew Vikings was a better situation for him, it's stupid NOT to use other teams as leverage. The agent wouldn't be doing his job. I didn't see anything wrong with what happened. That's business. 

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

image.png

You can't figure out what the hell he's doing?  You have a screenshot so I assume you watched the play.  I am still not sure about Johnson for the money, but I doubt he did anything wrong there.  Claiborne was lined up right over Latimer and got blown by.  Johnson was on the left side lined up over Shepard.

image.png

Then, when the play breaks, Latimer puts a move on Claiborne and beats him while Shepherd cuts in.  The S jumped Shepard, while Claiborne probably expected the deep help.  

image.png

The fault almost certainly lies with Claiborne and/or the S.  Considering the S (I didn't get the #) is lined up 15 yards deep, my money is on him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

YOu didn't know what the hll he's doing?  Did you even watch that play?  I am still not sure about Johnson for the money, but I doubt he did anything wrong there.  Claiborne was lined up right over Latimer and got blown by.  Johnson was on the left side lined up over Shepherd.

image.png

Then, when the play breaks, Latimer puts a move on Claiborne and beats him (to the outside) while Shepherd goes in.  The S jumped Shepherd, while Latimer probably expected the deep help.  

image.png

The fault almost certainly lies with Claiborne and/or the S.  Considering the S (I didn't get the # is lined up 15 yards deep, my money is on him. 

Trumaine Johnson is a stud. Do you honestly believe these guys are going balls to the wall in preseason? Most of these stars are jogging around yelling, "stay away from my legs man, I got a game to play on the 10th". 

There is a REASON fans & the media alike believe owners are d*cks for charging regular season prices. 

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

30 million a year over 3 years for Cousins was stupid.  Even with Cousins you aren’t winning this year, next year and you would only be competitive in the last year of Cousins deal.  Then need to give him more money after that.  It was a flawed approach.  

You as a fan may think its stupid, but for someone who's number 1 priority is keeping his $1mil+/year job its a smart idea.

This team needed to improve at QB, we have essentially infinite cap space, and Cousins would have been a good get even at $30 million when you consider we could have still signed Trumaine and drafted Quentin Nelson in round 1, Harold Landry and James Daniels in round 2, and solidified the Oline and gotten a potential edge rusher to add to cousins.  You cant say that team isnt able to make the playoffs right away.

Personally thank god it didnt happen because we have Darnold, but it wouldnt have been a disaster by any means.

I feel a little bad for the Vikes fans. These blockbuster signings rarely pay off in the long run. If this year or next year Cousins gets hurt or doesn't thrive, they are both stuck and the dead cap will cripple the team.d

It is rare that any non-QB is worth QB money. I also think it is rare when a QB gets a ridiculous contract to jump teams and it pays off. Do people really believe that Cousins will make enough difference to win the Vikes a SB within the next 4 years? Is he really worth more and that much better than most of the other QBs? Maybe he is a top 10 QB, but is he a top 5 QB? Talking about putting all of your eggs in one unproven basket...

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I feel a little bad for the Vikes fans. These blockbuster signings rarely pay off in the long run. If this year or next year Cousins gets hurt or doesn't thrive, they are both stuck and the dead cap will cripple the team.d

It is rare that any non-QB is worth QB money. I also think it is rare when a QB gets a ridiculous contract to jump teams and it pays off. Do people really believe that Cousins will make enough difference to win the Vikes a SB within the next 4 years? Is he really worth more and that much better than most of the other QBs? Maybe he is a top 10 QB, but is he a top 5 QB? Talking about putting all of your eggs in one unproven basket...

I thought his contract was 3 years?, anyway, here's the problem the Vikings will have, they happen to be in the NFC & oh by the way, that guy Aaron Rogers is back over there in Green Bay. 

Packers- Rams- Saints- Eagles- Falcons- Panthers are really good teams in 2018. Unlike the AFC where after Pats it's wide open. And if it weren't for the weak AFC East the Pats wouldn't be hosting home playoff games for 17 out of 20 years. 

49 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You can't figure out what the hell he's doing?  You have a screenshot so I assume you watched the play.  I am still not sure about Johnson for the money, but I doubt he did anything wrong there.  Claiborne was lined up right over Latimer and got blown by.  Johnson was on the left side lined up over Shepard.

image.png

Then, when the play breaks, Latimer puts a move on Claiborne and beats him while Shepherd cuts in.  The S jumped Shepard, while Claiborne probably expected the deep help.  

image.png

The fault almost certainly lies with Claiborne and/or the S.  Considering the S (I didn't get the #) is lined up 15 yards deep, my money is on him. 

Thanks for the other shots...  the vid I had was very limiting.  the shots your provide dont really answer my question. he is in no mans land covering no one. this is often true of Lee and Maye from what i've seen.

of course, i dont know how its drawn up...  but i tend to doubt being in the middle of teh field with 10-15 yds between you and any offensive player is the plan.

we'll see and i hope i am wrong but i dont have a good feeling. 

I'm so glad Cousins never considered the Jets seriously.  Obviously we didn't know it at the time, but we're so much better off with a young Darnold who will be cheap for 3-4 years, give us many more years of service, and ultimately will be a better QB.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

i don't. its pretty obvious what theyre doing.

they are the definition of a win now team and acquired the best qb they could for the next 36 months. that is how the nfl works. they shouldn't have been looking to draft a rookie qb, it would've made no sense.

4 minutes ago, leonwashington2 said:

i don't. its pretty obvious what theyre doing.

they are the definition of a win now team and acquired the best qb they could for the next 36 months. that is how the nfl works. they shouldn't have been looking to draft a rookie qb, it would've made no sense.

We shall see. If the experiment fails, however, they will be cap screwed for the next 3 years.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

Thanks for the other shots...  the vid I had was very limiting.  the shots your provide dont really answer my question. he is in no mans land covering no one. this is often true of Lee and Maye from what i've seen.

of course, i dont know how its drawn up...  but i tend to doubt being in the middle of teh field with 10-15 yds between you and any offensive player is the plan.

If you watch the video, it is quite clear that he is following Shepard across the field.  He sees the ball going to Latimer and pulls off to chase.  I think it is already obvious where the ball is going by the 2nd shot and at that point Johnson is about 3 yards off Shepard.  He does not do a particularly job of either, but the completion seems to have had literally nothing to do with him.  I guess it is possible/likely he had responsibility for deep left, but that still doesn't put him on the hook for this.   If anything, I would blame the two LBs for not taking deep enough drops.  Considering the bend but don't break D they have been playing, he probably wasn't too concerned about Shepard catching that ball.  

Here is a link to the clip.  The replay has a different angle. Video - Eli Manning hits Cody Latimer for 54 yard

their cap is gonna be a disaster either way. a ton of their good players are on the back half of their rookie contracts. thats how teams become this good. really good drafts leading to underpaid players.

the team went 13-3 and made the nfc championship game last year. who should they have gone for at qb if not cousins?

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

We shall see. If the experiment fails, however, they will be cap screwed for the next 3 years.

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Sorry but I think you’re prob way off, as Dom points out he’s on the other side of the field. Not to sound overly douchey on purpose but there are still zone reads post snap based off routes. Looks like the off man who sees where’s the ball is going enough to be part of the TV frame basically because he’s reading the ball/play easier on the opposite/backend of the field

Looks like one of our “stud safeties” bites tbh...or Claiborne is burned in man

There’s actually 6 guys on the line. So what the hell is Maye doing in frame two is more of a question than anything else on that play. It’s obvious man to start so you’d think Maye would have everything over the top.

Johnson releases his man bc he has inside help from LBs and is basically just in pursuit on the play