Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

JetsFanatic

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Hael said:

Actually just thinking about it a bit more, the deal is a little less sweet than it seems.  Consider that Bridgewater is on the final year of his contract, which means if he leaves NO he would be part of a comp draft package.  So in 2020, if NO doesn't sign him they would likely receive between a late 3rd or a late 4th round pick in comp value depending on the size of his contract.

That means we got the difference between a 2019 late 3rd-early 4th rounder in value and a late 3rd or late 4th in 2020.  That's not insignificant but well it's a little less than one might think.

you get a comp pick only if you lose more qualified UFA's than you gain.  I'll bet that Mac plans on being very active in acquiring UFAs next off season.  Anyone who thinks that a comp pick was a sure thing just doesn't understand how conditional it is.  Far from guaranteed and if your objective is to accumulate comp picks, it limits your freedom in acquiring free agents.  Plus the comp pick, if there is one at all for us (now the Saints, actually), is in 2020, not 2019.  No thanks.

23 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

You're upset at giving up a 6th round pick? While getting a 3rd back? For a guy we picked up off the street? 

It truly is amazing how giving up a 6th round pick are putting people on the ledge...some jumping off it..

Never ceases to amaze me..Nevermind there's a chance Mcc could package a bubble DB,WR,TE over the next week for a 6th...or just trade down day 3 next yr and get a 6th or not even worry about considering they've picked 6 players from the 6th round the past two drafts... 

Great move by Mac. Brilliantly played out. Love the timing also. No reason to put any more additional pressure on Darnald. Sam will go into the season knowing fully it is his team and if/when he has a  setback, there will be no looming Bridewater for knee jerk fans to scream for. Third rounder for a player that was insurance if we were not in a position to draft a QB. Brilliant, now draft some OLine help in 2019!

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Macc's 1st 2 draft/off-season were a nightmare.  Not much argument to be had there.

His last 2, in my opinion, have been very encouraging.  Whether that is thanks to Heimindinger or not, I don't know, but I do think things are trending in a positive direction.

They should do this.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

you get a comp pick only if you lose more qualified UFA's than you gain.  I'll bet that Mac plans on being very active in acquiring UFAs next off season.  Anyone who thinks that a comp pick was a sure thing just doesn't understand how conditional it is.  Far from guaranteed and it limits your freedom inacquiring free agents.  Plus the comp pick, if there is one at all for us (now the Saints, actually), is in 2020, not 2019.  No thanks.

And at the end of the round...Saints could sh!t the bed this year and the pick end up being mid-round or higher

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Great move by Mac. Brilliantly played out. Love the timing also. No reason to put any more additional pressure on Darnald. Sam will go into the season knowing fully it is his team and if/when he has a  setback, there will be no looming Bridewater for knee jerk fans to scream for. Third rounder for a player that was insurance if we were not in a position to draft a QB. Brilliant, now draft some OLine help in 2019!

The bolded part is the most important.

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I believe in having a good #2 QB, even if our #1 is seen as the 2nd coming of Christ himself.

Players get hurt.  Players bust too, albeit unlikely with Darnold.

It is never bad having a good #2 QB.  We don't now.  I'd prefer we do. 

Our number 2 was our number 1 last year

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's easy to forget the sequence of events.  the jets signed bridgewater before they traded to #3 and before the draft.  if you had told mccagnan before the draft that he was getting darnold i don't think he would have signed bridgewater.  

I don't think this is valid.  The way that contract is structured screams that they were considering dumping/moving him before the season if they drafted a legit QB.  They 100% knew they were drafting a QB, they just didn't know if he'd be ready yet. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Then the best QB prospect in 10 years falls to us, and people cant stop whining.

I dont know if he is the best prospect to come out in 10 years or not but he is the best that we have had on this team in my lifetime and I've been a fan since the 70's ?

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How about we want NO to lose for draft position.

I'll be sure to consider that if Drew Brees is no longer playing.

I get you don't like McCown, but the 2017 team was worse than this one and they were 5-7 in games that he played the bulk of.  The idea he is a substandard backup and not a worthy spot starter is ridiculous.

He is a 33% winner.  He's old.  His skill set is weak.  He directly led to many of our loses last year. 

I prefer a better, younger, cheaper, backup QB (or at least #3 QB).

It is almost assuredly 3rd round value.  The absolute worst it can be (Jets worst record/Saints win the Super Bowl) is 99 points. 100 points is pick 100=4th pick in 4th round.  If the Saints pick 25th or worse the value = 3rd round.  Probably even better because comp picks will push 4th and 6th round value down. For the record, the last 5 years the Saints have picked 27, 11, 12, 13 and 20th. 

Ok, if you say so.  I don't see any need to debate the point.  It's not the #1 or #2 some folks thought we'd get, it's not the 4th/5th/6th I expected, it is what it is.  A draft pick.  We'll see what Macc makes of it down the road.

He is there to run the scout team and play tomorrow.  We don't want starters getting hurt.  He seems a prime practice squad candidate who will get to run scout team and develop, but isn't in danger of getting poached because he is Mayfield sized and was on the street for most of camp.  

He's a nobody, and time of the practice squad won;t change that.  I want better, and better long-term planning, but I understand I will almost assuredly not get it in the short term.

50 minutes ago, Hael said:

Actually just thinking about it a bit more, the deal is a little less sweet than it seems.  Consider that Bridgewater is on the final year of his contract, which means if he leaves NO he would be part of a comp draft package.  So in 2020, if NO doesn't sign him they would likely receive between a late 3rd or a late 4th round pick in comp value depending on the size of his contract.

That means we got the difference between a 2019 late 3rd-early 4th rounder in value and a late 3rd or late 4th in 2020.  That's not insignificant but well it's a little less than one might think.

A compensatory pick is not a late 3rd or late 4th round pick.  Comp picks are between end of round 3 and end of round 7.  Bridgewater and McCarron on their current deals are worth 6th rounders, if they are not cancelled out.  The idea he is a sure fire 3rd is misguided. 

Besides, as people have been saying all along, with the Jets cap space they will be buyers, not sellers and likely would have any comp pick cancelled out.  They weren't getting a comp pick anyway, but even if they got the best available it would be in 2020 and therefore worth a round lower.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I'll be sure to consider that if Drew Brees is no longer playing.

He is a 33% winner.  He's old.  His skill set is weak.  He directly led to many of our loses last year. 

I prefer a better, younger, cheaper, backup QB (or at least #3 QB).

Ok, if you say so.  I don't see any need to debate the point.  It's not the #1 or #2 some folks thought we'd get, it's not the 4th/5th/6th I expected, it is what it is.  A draft pick.  We'll see what Macc makes of it down the road.

He's a nobody, and time of the practice squad won;t change that.  I want better, and better long-term planning, but I understand I will almost assuredly not get it in the short term.

Brees played in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and they were 7-9 and picked top 13 all three years.  

You hate on McCown, but hate on Wolford?  They put enough resources into QB. You want younger than McCown? Fine, but I don't see the big deal and the time to complain about that is long past.  

Now you have a problem with the kid being on the practice squad?  They might not carry him there, but my point was that I don't think there is any way he makes the 53. I think he makes the practice squad because they probably want an extra QB to run the scout team and practice.  Wolford is not a horrible prospect and they may well dump him if somebody more appealing shakes loose. 

How are people thinking this is a bad trade? The jets got a valuable draft asset for a player signed to a one year deal with no future on the team. Jets need lots of talent to fill the team since a lot of current starters are really below average players. This is what a smart team does and given our past history is refreshing.

The only explanation is you think this team is a win now team and to that... lol 

the other is you think the Jets could have gotten more, which i think is a rather large assumption to make. You are assuming a qb from a contending team goes down and are willing to pay big for less than a season’s worth of games. Not a sure thing at all. 

Now gotta just wait for another dlineman and we all cry. 

53 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Wow great deal for the Saints

i think he’s an upgrade over Brees right now, and will definitely be their QB of the future

meh for us 

am surprised Mac gave up a 6, he seems to really cover 6 and 7 rounders

Huh? Brees completed 72% of his passes last yr w/23 TDs and 8 INTs..LOL

meh for us?  How? 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You hate on McCown, but hate on Wolford?

I do not hold either player in high regard.

They put enough resources into QB.

I don't agree with you.  

You want younger than McCown? Fine, but I don't see the big deal and the time to complain about that is long past.

As stated, I clearly hold a different viewpoint than you on the value and quality of the #2 QB position in our specific scenario.

Now you have a problem with the kid being on the practice squad?

As stated, I do not hold the player in high regard.

....they may well dump him if somebody more appealing shakes loose. 

I hope someone more appealing shakes loose.

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Yes you could have, but considering it is us, a 3rd is ok. You telling me Sam Bradford is better than Teddy? Phl got a #1 for the always injured stiff who is playing god knows where this season, and all we could garner was a 3rd? This is why I think we did this too soon. Devil's advocate would say what if no other QB gets hurt, we get nothing. To that I do agree, still have an empty feeling..

Bradford was on a 2 year deal. Big difference. 

6 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'm not bothering to read anything before this. The GM is stupid, we could have got more if we continued to prove he was legit and let one competitor loose a starter. Mac is dumb and doesn't understand anything of value 

While I have been one of Macc's biggest critic's on these board's and I would not be sorry too see him gone this is a good deal. Not great but it's adequate for TB. I will take it. TB was never going to sign here and to get anything for him is a plus.

Archived