Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

JetsFanatic

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

They got a net of 4th. Massive difference between a 4th and 2nd. Just like he could get hurt being a bench player, I’m pretty sure other NFL QBs that are starting are at a much higher risk of getting hurt, which would’ve helped our cause and if it didn’t, there was no harm keeping him and netting a 4th round comp as opposed to trading and getting a 4th round pick 

This is patently false.  i showed the math about 3 times above.  Absolutely worst case scenario it is the 4th pick in the 4th round.  It will almost certainly net a 3rd. 

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

We paid $1 million to give Macc a 3rd round pick. Let's see what Macc has gotten in the 3rd round thus far:

AS HEAD OF COLLEGE SCOUTING FOR TEXANS:

2012: Devier Posey, Brandon Brooks

2013: Brennan Williams, Sam Montgomery

2014: C.J. Fiedorowicz, Louis Nix

AS GM NYJ:

2015: Lorenzo Mauldin

2016: Jordan Jenkins 

I count one solid contributor (Brandon Brooks) who only emerged after Houston let him walk in FA.

We paid $1 million AND lost Darnold bust insurance (and a 6th, not that it matters) to get NOTHING.

Horrendous deal.

what if the extra 3 is going to be ammo for a Mack deal?   '19 1st and 3rd for Mack sounds about right.   it would still leave the jets with something (albeit not much) to put a line together for darnold.   

1 hour ago, Hael said:

I understand that.  However its fair to say a young qb would likely fetch a not insignificant contract on the open market, which is why I wouldn't put his comp draft baseline value lower than the late 4 (and possibly a late 3).  Your point is well taken that the Jets would likely have not fetched a comp draft pick due to their rebuilding process, and indeed that's why it was a good trade for both teams.  However, the net value we got was a little less than advertised.  It is as I said the difference between a third round in 2019 vs a late 3rd or late 4th in 2020

You understand they won't get a comp pick but want to subtract a comp pick from the value? Do not follow.

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

what if the extra 3 is going to be ammo for a Mack deal?   '19 1st and 3rd for Mack sounds about right.   it would still leave the jets with something (albeit not much) to put a line together for darnold.   

If I was Woody/Chris, I'd insist Macc try to trade up to top 10 (the only place Macc can pick winners) every year even if you have to give a Ricky Williams-type deal. If you can't, trade away all picks for veteran players.

GMs overvalue picks because they overestimate their ability to pick. There's an arbitrage opportunity.

All that being said after 5 decades of QB wasteland, you do not trade away good QBs.

Just now, jgb said:

If I was Woody/Chris, I'd insist Macc try to trade up to top 10 (the only place Macc can pick winners) every year even if you have to give a Ricky Williams-type deal. If you can't, trade away all picks for veteran players.

GMs overvalue picks because they overestimate their ability to pick. There's an arbitrage opportunity.

not my point.   what i'm saying is - what if Macc had to pull the trigger on the TB deal today so he can make a move for Mack tomorrow?    I don't see any reason to move TB now other than ammo for mack. 

The raiders and mack are done...I don't think the raiders even have the cash to pay Macc if they wanted to.   The Jets have cash but are short on '19 picks.  This move adds a 3rd which is about the ammo they were missing.   

4 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

not my point.   what i'm saying is - what if Macc had to pull the trigger on the TB deal today so he can make a move for Mack tomorrow?    I don't see any reason to move TB now other than ammo for mack. 

The raiders and mack are done...I don't think the raiders even have the cash to pay Macc if they wanted to.   The Jets have cash but are short on '19 picks.  This move adds a 3rd which is about the ammo they were missing.   

I hope. Still missing a bit but who knows

7 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Raiders are "giving the impression" to teams they want two first-round picks for holdout DE Khalil Mack.

Pelissero says Oakland received "a bunch of calls" regarding Mack's availablity in recent days, but GMs are turned off by Jon Gruden's asking price. No team is going to part with two first-rounders for Mack, especially when they also have to make him one of the league's highest-paid players. Perhaps a deal could happen if the Raiders dropped their asking price to a first- and a third-round pick, but that's not yet in the cards. Yahoo's Charles Robinson recently reported Mack is "likely" to miss regular season games.

9 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Sorry sorry I misread thought what you meant was to move up again next year, my bad. If this 3rd is included in a move for Mack I withdraw my critique 

Are there really people complaining about this trade? Bridgewater had zero future here, getting a 3rd for a 6th and Bridgewater is a very good deal. Bridgwater has one year left on his deal. I wish him the best in NO, I always liked him and NO is an easy team to root for as a Jets fan. Lets hope this 3rd nets us a stud guard.

Just now, NoBowles said:

Are there really people complaining about this trade? Bridgewater had zero future here, getting a 3rd for a 6th and Bridgewater is a very good deal. Bridgwater has one year left on his deal. I wish him the best in NO, I always liked him and NO is an easy team to root for as a Jets fan. Lets hope this 3rd nets us a stud guard.

I agree. I Did thought we would probably only get a 4th. Being it is the saints and not say the browns, this will probably be a late 3, adding our likely early 6th rounder, this definitely is a mid 4th value.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Raiders are "giving the impression" to teams they want two first-round picks for holdout DE Khalil Mack.

Pelissero says Oakland received "a bunch of calls" regarding Mack's availablity in recent days, but GMs are turned off by Jon Gruden's asking price. No team is going to part with two first-rounders for Mack, especially when they also have to make him one of the league's highest-paid players. Perhaps a deal could happen if the Raiders dropped their asking price to a first- and a third-round pick, but that's not yet in the cards. Yahoo's Charles Robinson recently reported Mack is "likely" to miss regular season games.

a 1st and a 3rd would likely get it done.   

For years and years, the initials “TB” stood for our rival QB up north.

Then, Bowles came in and caused a ruckus on our forums because some abbreviating enthusiasts don’t understand how to use context. 

Count me tickled that the Teddy Bridgewater trade will FINALLY reduce the number of lazy  “TB” abbreviaters (you know who you are) from carrying on. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

For the love of Christ **** no

why not?   

Maccagnan's drafts are basically Idzik-lite.   THe majority of his pick will be out of football by September - Mack is the best defensive player in the NFL.    Maccagnan could spend a decade and never draft a player of Mack's caliber - seems like a no-brainer to me.  

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's amazing that the Cult of Darnold has reached such a fever pitch that even being unhappy with McCown or Whathisface as the #2 QB is now considered Anti-Darnold blasphemy, and grounds for Buttfumbles, lol.

I sure hope Darnold's play is worth putting up with the Cultist Contingent.

The President of the Ryan Fitzpatrick Fanclub upset about a “Cult of Darnold”

Is Sam’s arm too strong for you?

4 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

why not?   

Maccagnan's drafts are basically Idzik-lite.   THe majority of his pick will be out of football by September - Mack is the best defensive player in the NFL.    Maccagnan could spend a decade and never draft a player of Mack's caliber - seems like a no-brainer to me.  

It really shows a lot of stupidity given Mac’s mostly putrid draft record fans think two first round picks for a legit pass rusher who instantly improves our defense and makes us a playoff team ... can’t have that what if we miss out another Safety with a Twitter account!

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold as the starting QB and Khalil Mack leading the D 

Looks a whole light brighter to all those free agents that will be available in 2019. 

It’s a no brainer to trade for Mack plus we will still have plenty of cap room to sign free agents 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is patently false.  i showed the math about 3 times above.  Absolutely worst case scenario it is the 4th pick in the 4th round.  It will almost certainly net a 3rd. 

I didn’t see the math. You get the point though. Moving the pick 4-6 spots up n down doesn’t really change the overall big picture. 

18 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

why not?   

As I’ve said before. 

Darnold is young, he is the key to a SB not a passrusher, he need protection, not condoms, a good oline, he also needs weapons. **** giving away anything for defensive players. Offense only at this point. 

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

As I’ve said before. 

Darnold is young, he is the key to a SB not a passrusher, he need protection, not condoms, a good oline, he also needs weapons. **** giving away anything for defensive players. Offense only at this point. 

Pass rushers never beat Tom Brady just ask JPP, Von Miller and Michael Strahan

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

As I’ve said before. 

agree in principle but what has macc done in 4 drafts to make you believe he can do any of this through the draft.   let them sign weapons and OL and trade theses picks for a future HOF OLB.   

More ardarius stewarts and chad hansens are not going to help darnold.   face it, one of macc's few remaining draft picks was a freaking punter.   

Just now, LionelRichie said:

agree in principle but what has macc done in 4 drafts to make you believe he can do any of this through the draft.   let them sign weapons and OL and trade theses picks for a future HOF OLB.   

More ardarius stewarts and chad hansens are not going to help darnold.   face it, one of macc's few remaining draft picks was a freaking punter.   

Mack drafted a 200lb 6 ft tall ILB and a retarded qb back to back and his drafting is what we should rely on to get a pass rush?

Archived