Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

JetsFanatic

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I did too. Because PR is the abbreviation for punt returner. 

Yes. 

Somewhere along the way, what used to be DE or OLB has morphed into EDGE for pass rushers. 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The Giants won a Super Bowl in 2011 beating Tom Brady and they had an offensive line that was even worse than what we have now.  Pass Rush is everything in today’s NFL.  Besides we have enough cap room to plug the other holes

how long until “the true rebuild” is over?  Another 20 years?

There's no such thing as rebuilds in the NFL anymore - it's - you have a QB and you compete every year - or you don't and you're searching for one.  That's it.  

Rebuild is over as soon as we have a franchise QB - hopefully Darnold is that guy but he's still a couple of years away...

26 minutes ago, slats said:

QB depth is far more important for teams legitimately contending for a championship than it is for a team maybe contending for 8-8.

More important?  Yes.  That does not make it irrelevant to rebuilding teams.

You have a lot of disdain for McCown as "a loser," but the guy's just been passed around a lot of losing teams. Statistically last year he put up a good season, better than -say- Teddy Bridgewater ever has.

He's a materially worse Ryan Fitzpatrick at 90% of his money..  

He's a solid backup for Darnold and a guy who's more than capable of stepping in for a few starts if necessary.

Stepping in and losing 60-70%, yes. 

And he has no future, his advancing age and documented limited skillset makes that obvious.  There is no way he should be a 10 mil a year Jet again next year.  If Darnold still needs a Daddy/Blanky next year....

Weren't you one who was furious we paid Fitzpatrick 12 mil to start?  Now you're a big fan of paying 10 mil for McCown to hold Darnold jock for him and maybe come in and lose a few games as a backup? 

Little inconsistent, isn't it?

For the Jets purposes this year, that's fine. 

I do not agree.  And unlike yourself, I have not given up on the 2018 season before it's begun.

If a better, younger, cheaper player is available (and lets be honest, almost any QB out there will be better, younger and cheaper than McCown), he should be signed as our #3 (better yet #2) and leave McCown to the jock-holding "Dad/Coach" job he's clearly here to perform.

We have the cap space.  And #2/#3 QB is more important than #6 WR or #5 RB or #5 TE.

Next year, they can pursue free agent backups.

Why wait?  If a player better than McCown or Wolwhatever shakes loose, there is no reason not to sign him.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

He's a materially worse Ryan Fitzpatrick at 90% of his money.. 

Disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Weren't you one who was furious we paid Fitzpatrick 12 mil to start?  Now you're a big fan of paying 10 mil for McCown to hold Darnold jock for him and maybe come in and lose a few games as a backup? 

Little inconsistent, isn't it?

I am not a big fan of $10M for McCown at all, but if he's on the opening day roster it's 100% guaranteed and there's nothing I can do about it. In the meantime, I disagree with you on his talent level and the intangibles he brings this year. The Jets aren't good, but I think McCown can step in and win winnable games as much as any late addition QB they'd be bringing in at this time. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If a better, younger, cheaper player is available (and lets be honest, almost any QB out there will be better, younger and cheaper than McCown), he should be signed as our #3 (better yet #2) and leave McCown to the jock-holding "Dad/Coach" job he's clearly here to perform.

We have the cap space.  And #2/#3 QB is more important than #6 WR or #5 RB or #5 TE.

Again, disagree. Certainly younger, probably cheaper, but not necessarily better. Name some names. Who's getting cut loose that's better than McCown? 

You clearly have a hair up your butt about the whole "mentor" thing, and it's not like I'm 100% sold on it either, but it is probably a better situation for the rookie to have the seasoned veteran behind him than some late camp cut. Your animosity towards McCown aside, there was a market for him this offseason. You can look back, teams like Buffalo and Arizona (shockingly both drafted QBs this year) were cited as potential landing spots for him. 

Are the Jets carrying 5 RBs or TEs? I don't think they have that many on the roster right now. But, anyway, the #3 QB is a marginal position at best that many teams choose not to fill at all in favor of someone who will see actual playing time.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why wait?  If a player better than McCown or Wolwhatever shakes loose, there is no reason not to sign him.

Again, name names. Who's gonna be out of a job on Friday that will be an upgrade over McCown? 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Complete nonsense.  We drafted Sam Darnold to be our franchise QB.  He's our ride or die. 

Teddy Bridgewater was signed off the scrap heap for $1 million, and we netted an upgrade from a 6th to a 3rd for it. 

Even if Darnold flops and Teddy succeeds, this was the right move.  We put all our chips to the center on a rookie QB the moment we moved up from 6 to 3. 

Teddy was never going to be content signing on as a backup behind a young QB.  He's in a good spot as the heir apparent to Brees.  This was a good deal for all parties involved, regardless of the end result. 

Bowles is playing go fish, while the rest of the league is playing Texas Hold'em.   We have to get a new leader for new personnel.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

There's no such thing as rebuilds in the NFL anymore - it's - you have a QB and you compete every year - or you don't and you're searching for one.  That's it.  

Rebuild is over as soon as we have a franchise QB - hopefully Darnold is that guy but he's still a couple of years away...

The “true rebuild” garbage nonsense was the ownership using hatchet men in the media like Mehta and Costello to lower expectations to the point now 60% of Jets fans are celebrating us going 5-11 every year

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I kinda agree but Mack was not going to be had for TB and 1st rounder. If we went by the equivalent in draft picks do you think that Mack could be had for a 1st and a late 3rd? I really don't think Gruden and the Raiders would accept that. They want 2 1st rounders for him and for a team that is a Super Bowl contender that may not be that steep of a price. For a team with a rookie QB with the holes this one has I just think its too steep of a price.

I guess we all differ in the cost we d be willing to pay for the right to give him over 100 million over 5 yrs.   If we were one player away it might be worth giving up 2 ones but we aren’t.   I question if other teams will pay that price- if so the deal would be done.   He’s a great talent but I don’t think I’d ever give up more than a first and and mid rounder.   Draft picks are valuable and first rd picks invaluable.  That said, if we get him for a first and third,I’d be excited and I think it would make us a playoff team

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

Yes it does/can. Why mid 3rd rounder? Saints picked 27th last year and there’s no reason to believe they’ll pick any higher. See the attached pic for your viewing pleasure. 

Yes, we will be doing some spending spree but don’t forget we too have many guys leaving in FA unless we resign them, in which case it doesn’t become part of the equation. And yes, the comp pick would be for 2020, but we also get to use our player for a year. 

22F706F4-080E-4F97-B7C8-A474720A3B5F.jpeg

End of third rder for early fourth plus sixth.   Not a mid third rounder

id guess New Orleans picks in the teens,  Tough division and they have  picked in teens 2 out of last 3 yrs.   last year the y traded up to 14 but prior years they picked 11 and 12

People are crazy in this bread lol enjoy Sam, enjoy the return we got a for someone who no one wanted and let’s see progress this year. If Mack is possible, with the way our defense is lining up, could be a difference maker. Depending on cost (2 fiesta is hard) but just about anything less, I’m in. 1st and 2-3’s (1-3 in 2020) why not? Mack will have a bigger influence than those people drafted, most likely. Our main goal is o-like, pass rush which we haven’t had in a decade plus and then a STUD wr. But if you can fill a hole that’s truly glaring, why not go for a Hail Mary and sign the guy that 12!!! Other teams want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The Browns offered the Pats a 1st round pick the previous year for Jimmy G and Belichick turned it down.  Once the trade deadline was about to hit Kraft ordered Belichick to trade him.  SF was 1) a different conference and 2)  Kyle Shanahan’s dad Mike defended Belichick during deflategate

Pay it forward

I actually read Belichick wanted to trade Brady and move to G as starter but Kraft overruled and then forced him to trade Garappolo

18 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

End of third rder for early fourth plus sixth.   Not a mid third rounder

id guess New Orleans picks in the teens,  Tough division and they have  picked in teens 2 out of last 3 yrs.   last year the y traded up to 14 but prior years they picked 11 and 12

Last year their original pick was 27th. What makes you think they’ll regress by a ton this year? They went 11-5 and had two wild card teams within their division that went 11-5 and 10-6. I expect them to make the playoffs, which automatically takes them out of the teens. I expect them to win one two playoff games as well just like last year. 

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I actually read Belichick wanted to trade Brady and move to G as starter but Kraft overruled and then forced him to trade Garappolo

Yes that’s also part of it

Not that it would have ever happened but it would have been the funniest thing ever if Brady got traded to the jets

On 8/30/2018 at 10:36 AM, Warfish said:

As opposed to your extensive film study?

Doesn't sound like you hold him in very high regard either.

Then enlighten me, all knowing, all seeing Dominator.  

Doesn't sound like you hold him in very high regard either.

Or like 981,239,123 other nobody fifth tier QB's who were not named Romo or Warner and who never amounted to anything.

Let me be clear:  I want my team to have depth at QB.  Because we've been one of the very worst teams at QB during my lifetime.  I do not want McCown, he is a career loser and far too old.  I do not want Wolwhatever, because he is not considered a good prospect by anyone.  I would like a better QB to back up our supposedly "best in 1,000 years" prospect Darnold.

I don't care if you don't like it that I hold this opinion.  

I watched Wolford yesterday.  I had read a few articles about him during mini-camp.  Seemed like an interesting prospect.  After watching him last night he looks like he might be a practice squad guy that can become a solid backup QB. 

The idea that the team should be pile even more resources into QB seems crazy to me.  I share your disdain for paying McCown $10M, but they already did and he is as good a backup QB as you will find.  They obviously preferred him to Bridgewater. FWIW, if it were offered I would trade McCown + 6th for a 3rd in a second. 

On 8/30/2018 at 11:26 AM, slats said:

Yes. 

Somewhere along the way, what used to be DE or OLB has morphed into EDGE for pass rushers. 

I think EDGE makes some sense OLB and DE have become somewhat interchangeable.  It seems odd to differentiate so much between them when the players are the same, but the scheme different. 

11 hours ago, j4jets said:

Last year their original pick was 27th. What makes you think they’ll regress by a ton this year? They went 11-5 and had two wild card teams within their division that went 11-5 and 10-6. I expect them to make the playoffs, which automatically takes them out of the teens. I expect them to win one two playoff games as well just like last year. 

Last year they picked 27th and the 3 prior years then picked 11th, 12th and 13th.  That is the main reason I think they will regress, at least a bit.

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I watched Wolford yesterday.  I had read a few articles about him during mini-camp.  Seemed like an interesting prospect.  After watching him last night he looks like he might be a practice squad guy that can become a solid backup QB. 

The idea that the team should be pile even more resources into QB seems crazy to me.  I share your disdain for paying McCown $10M, but they already did and he is as good a backup QB as you will find.  They obviously preferred him to Bridgewater. FWIW, if it were offered I would trade McCown + 6th for a 3rd in a second. 

I've had an absolute sh*t week and I am far FAR too drunk to fight over backup QB's anymore.

So I'll just ay have a good holiday weekend.  Go jets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 6:51 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

His stock would have dropped if he wasn't the starter for us.  Sitting on the bench wouldn't increase his value much.  He'd become "out of sight, out of mind".  MAYBE some team out there has a QB get a major injury, but even then, I don't think we would have gotten much more out of Teddy.  A 2nd, probably.  

This was a fine decisions at a good time.  Now we don't have to have 3 QB's active on gameday.  That's a tough thing to have to do when you can only activate 45 players on gameday.  

I get this. I thought he should have been the starter if preseason was an open competition. I don't love Sam starting as a rookie behind this line on day one, but I'm an eternal pessimist. I thought start him cause he's the best right now and move him when the opportunity presented itself. I loved Macs move buying low, just question if we sold high. I could be wrong, good luck getting me to admit it though

Here's a trivia question. 

Last year how many postseason contending teams even lost their starting QB to begin with; while not already having a capable backup option waiting in the wings?

There answer is not many. 

To turn down a 3rd round draft pick in order to wait for a scenario in which chances are doesn't happen would have been a bad gamble by Maccagnan. 

Not to mention that teams probably wouldn't give anything more than a 3rd to begin with come mid-season at the trade deadline for a couple of weeks QB rental with zero time to implement (said QB) into their offense, playbook and schemes. 

The longer Teddy rotted away on our bench the more his trade value would've diminished. New Orleans pulled the trigger while still having time to groom him into their offense for the season ahead. 

And to turn a 500k investment into an immediate 3rd round draft pick (that can be used in order to build around Darnold) was genius on Maccagnan's part and I wish if only he could pull this off 2-3x per offseason (no one could).  

But I can't remember the last time an NFL GM ever signed a UFA during the offseason, followed by trading him for a draft pick; before such player ever played a regular season down for them. It's something you only see in Madden. 

I can't recall for the life of me. 

49 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But I can't remember the last time an NFL GM ever signed a UFA during the offseason, followed by trading him for a draft pick; before such player ever played a regular season down for them. It's something you only see in Madden. 

When the Bills did it with McCarron a couple days later? 

Trivia question: How many...

Trivia question answer: Not many. (Well now we know!)

This is the 2018 season. A 2019 draft pick is not "immediate"; it's the next football season.

Like when has this ever been done??? Off the top of my head, this off-season with AJ McCarron?

It was the right move to trade him, but "genius" is overshooting. Teddy was only available to teams with no clear-cut starter for 2018, and the Jets looked desperate to him after getting snubbed by Cousins and re-signing McCown. They looked desperate for a starter because they were, hence the mad scramble to sign both him and McCown. Darnold falling to #3 (and being ready to start immediately) might be the only reason he was traded at all; hey might have kept him if hey drafted any other QB.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

When the Bills did it with McCarron a couple days later? 

You're right, I stand corrected although McCarron only went for a 5th in return. Signing Teddy for 500k and immediately flipping him into a 3rd round pick was a steal. 

New Orleans is now the NFC team I wish to see lose the most. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/29/2018 at 5:06 PM, Warfish said:

He's a nobody, and time of the practice squad won;t change that.  I want better, and better long-term planning, but I understand I will almost assuredly not get it in the short term.

I'll just leave this here. 

Who is John Wolford? Ex-Wake Forest quarterback takes AAF by storm with Arizona Hotshots

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Credit when credit is due. If you called John Walford then good job. He did have a very good performance.

I didn't call him.  I just had a days long argument where I had to defend that he was worthy of a spot on the 90.  He was a legit prospect.NFL arm, mobile,  Big senior year 3,000 yards, 64%, 29/6 + another 10 TDs and nearly 700 rushing yards in the ACC.  Big knock is that he is short, but he slots right between Wilson and Mayfield.  Some people want to give prototypical slugs, like Hackenberg and Davis Webb shots while ignoring this kind of prospect. 

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I didn't call him.  I just had a days long argument where I had to defend that he was worthy of a spot on the 90.  He was a legit prospect.NFL arm, mobile,  Big senior year 3,000 yards, 64%, 29/6 + another 10 TDs and nearly 700 rushing yards in the ACC.  Big knock is that he is short, but he slots right between Wilson and Mayfield.  Some people want to give prototypical slugs, like Hackenberg and Davis Webb shots while ignoring this kind of prospect. 

Facts. Seems like you'd do a better job as our GM than that asshat we currently have. 

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you back patting because an NFL washout did really well in week one for a minor league?  :-k

Wake me when he's throwing for 300+ yards and 3 TD's at the Pro-Level mate.

If this is the minimum standard of thread necros these days, man, some of you are REALLY in trouble.....lol.  :blink:

However, with that said, Wolford will be my new favorite QB, since I plan to adopt the horrible Yellow-Green Hotshots as my AAF team of preference (at least till VA gets a minor league team of it's very own).

So, yeah, um, go Wolford!  He's AWESOME!

In all seriousness, that's what the AAF is for, for lesser or ignored prospects to prove something.  Long overdue tbqh for the NFL to have something like this.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are you back patting because an NFL washout did really well in week one for a minor league?  :-k

Wake me when he's throwing for 300+ yards and 3 TD's at the Pro-Level mate.

If this is the minimum standard of thread necros these days, man, some of you are REALLY in trouble.....lol.  :blink:

However, with that said, Wolford will be my new favorite QB, since I plan to adopt the horrible Yellow-Green Hotshots as my AAF team of preference (at least till VA gets a minor league team of it's very own).

So, yeah, um, go Wolford!  He's AWESOME!

In all seriousness, that's what the AAF is for, for lesser or ignored prospects to prove something.  Long overdue tbqh for the NFL to have something like this.

Would you rather have Hackenberg or Davis Webb? My point was that immediately upon the Bridgewater trade you were complaining about them signing this guy, who is, I repeat, a valid NFL prospect. 

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Would you rather have Hackenberg or Davis Webb? My point was that immediately upon the Bridgewater trade you were complaining about them signing this guy, who is, I repeat, a valid NFL prospect. 

Yeah but does he have a tough guy beard, a bachelors from Harvard and wet noodle for an arm?  

Archived