JetsFanatic

Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

End of third rder for early fourth plus sixth.   Not a mid third rounder

id guess New Orleans picks in the teens,  Tough division and they have  picked in teens 2 out of last 3 yrs.   last year the y traded up to 14 but prior years they picked 11 and 12

Last year their original pick was 27th. What makes you think they’ll regress by a ton this year? They went 11-5 and had two wild card teams within their division that went 11-5 and 10-6. I expect them to make the playoffs, which automatically takes them out of the teens. I expect them to win one two playoff games as well just like last year. 

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I actually read Belichick wanted to trade Brady and move to G as starter but Kraft overruled and then forced him to trade Garappolo

Yes that’s also part of it

Not that it would have ever happened but it would have been the funniest thing ever if Brady got traded to the jets

On 8/30/2018 at 10:36 AM, Warfish said:

As opposed to your extensive film study?

Doesn't sound like you hold him in very high regard either.

Then enlighten me, all knowing, all seeing Dominator.  

Doesn't sound like you hold him in very high regard either.

Or like 981,239,123 other nobody fifth tier QB's who were not named Romo or Warner and who never amounted to anything.

Let me be clear:  I want my team to have depth at QB.  Because we've been one of the very worst teams at QB during my lifetime.  I do not want McCown, he is a career loser and far too old.  I do not want Wolwhatever, because he is not considered a good prospect by anyone.  I would like a better QB to back up our supposedly "best in 1,000 years" prospect Darnold.

I don't care if you don't like it that I hold this opinion.  

I watched Wolford yesterday.  I had read a few articles about him during mini-camp.  Seemed like an interesting prospect.  After watching him last night he looks like he might be a practice squad guy that can become a solid backup QB. 

The idea that the team should be pile even more resources into QB seems crazy to me.  I share your disdain for paying McCown $10M, but they already did and he is as good a backup QB as you will find.  They obviously preferred him to Bridgewater. FWIW, if it were offered I would trade McCown + 6th for a 3rd in a second. 

On 8/30/2018 at 11:26 AM, slats said:

Yes. 

Somewhere along the way, what used to be DE or OLB has morphed into EDGE for pass rushers. 

I think EDGE makes some sense OLB and DE have become somewhat interchangeable.  It seems odd to differentiate so much between them when the players are the same, but the scheme different. 

11 hours ago, j4jets said:

Last year their original pick was 27th. What makes you think they’ll regress by a ton this year? They went 11-5 and had two wild card teams within their division that went 11-5 and 10-6. I expect them to make the playoffs, which automatically takes them out of the teens. I expect them to win one two playoff games as well just like last year. 

Last year they picked 27th and the 3 prior years then picked 11th, 12th and 13th.  That is the main reason I think they will regress, at least a bit.

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I watched Wolford yesterday.  I had read a few articles about him during mini-camp.  Seemed like an interesting prospect.  After watching him last night he looks like he might be a practice squad guy that can become a solid backup QB. 

The idea that the team should be pile even more resources into QB seems crazy to me.  I share your disdain for paying McCown $10M, but they already did and he is as good a backup QB as you will find.  They obviously preferred him to Bridgewater. FWIW, if it were offered I would trade McCown + 6th for a 3rd in a second. 

I've had an absolute sh*t week and I am far FAR too drunk to fight over backup QB's anymore.

So I'll just ay have a good holiday weekend.  Go jets.

On 8/29/2018 at 6:51 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

His stock would have dropped if he wasn't the starter for us.  Sitting on the bench wouldn't increase his value much.  He'd become "out of sight, out of mind".  MAYBE some team out there has a QB get a major injury, but even then, I don't think we would have gotten much more out of Teddy.  A 2nd, probably.  

This was a fine decisions at a good time.  Now we don't have to have 3 QB's active on gameday.  That's a tough thing to have to do when you can only activate 45 players on gameday.  

I get this. I thought he should have been the starter if preseason was an open competition. I don't love Sam starting as a rookie behind this line on day one, but I'm an eternal pessimist. I thought start him cause he's the best right now and move him when the opportunity presented itself. I loved Macs move buying low, just question if we sold high. I could be wrong, good luck getting me to admit it though

Here's a trivia question. 

Last year how many postseason contending teams even lost their starting QB to begin with; while not already having a capable backup option waiting in the wings?

There answer is not many. 

To turn down a 3rd round draft pick in order to wait for a scenario in which chances are doesn't happen would have been a bad gamble by Maccagnan. 

Not to mention that teams probably wouldn't give anything more than a 3rd to begin with come mid-season at the trade deadline for a couple of weeks QB rental with zero time to implement (said QB) into their offense, playbook and schemes. 

The longer Teddy rotted away on our bench the more his trade value would've diminished. New Orleans pulled the trigger while still having time to groom him into their offense for the season ahead. 

And to turn a 500k investment into an immediate 3rd round draft pick (that can be used in order to build around Darnold) was genius on Maccagnan's part and I wish if only he could pull this off 2-3x per offseason (no one could).  

But I can't remember the last time an NFL GM ever signed a UFA during the offseason, followed by trading him for a draft pick; before such player ever played a regular season down for them. It's something you only see in Madden. 

I can't recall for the life of me. 

49 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But I can't remember the last time an NFL GM ever signed a UFA during the offseason, followed by trading him for a draft pick; before such player ever played a regular season down for them. It's something you only see in Madden. 

When the Bills did it with McCarron a couple days later? 

Trivia question: How many...

Trivia question answer: Not many. (Well now we know!)

This is the 2018 season. A 2019 draft pick is not "immediate"; it's the next football season.

Like when has this ever been done??? Off the top of my head, this off-season with AJ McCarron?

It was the right move to trade him, but "genius" is overshooting. Teddy was only available to teams with no clear-cut starter for 2018, and the Jets looked desperate to him after getting snubbed by Cousins and re-signing McCown. They looked desperate for a starter because they were, hence the mad scramble to sign both him and McCown. Darnold falling to #3 (and being ready to start immediately) might be the only reason he was traded at all; hey might have kept him if hey drafted any other QB.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

When the Bills did it with McCarron a couple days later? 

You're right, I stand corrected although McCarron only went for a 5th in return. Signing Teddy for 500k and immediately flipping him into a 3rd round pick was a steal. 

New Orleans is now the NFC team I wish to see lose the most. 

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I didn't call him.  I just had a days long argument where I had to defend that he was worthy of a spot on the 90.  He was a legit prospect.NFL arm, mobile,  Big senior year 3,000 yards, 64%, 29/6 + another 10 TDs and nearly 700 rushing yards in the ACC.  Big knock is that he is short, but he slots right between Wilson and Mayfield.  Some people want to give prototypical slugs, like Hackenberg and Davis Webb shots while ignoring this kind of prospect. 

Facts. Seems like you'd do a better job as our GM than that asshat we currently have. 

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you back patting because an NFL washout did really well in week one for a minor league?  :-k

Wake me when he's throwing for 300+ yards and 3 TD's at the Pro-Level mate.

If this is the minimum standard of thread necros these days, man, some of you are REALLY in trouble.....lol.  :blink:

However, with that said, Wolford will be my new favorite QB, since I plan to adopt the horrible Yellow-Green Hotshots as my AAF team of preference (at least till VA gets a minor league team of it's very own).

So, yeah, um, go Wolford!  He's AWESOME!

In all seriousness, that's what the AAF is for, for lesser or ignored prospects to prove something.  Long overdue tbqh for the NFL to have something like this.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are you back patting because an NFL washout did really well in week one for a minor league?  :-k

Wake me when he's throwing for 300+ yards and 3 TD's at the Pro-Level mate.

If this is the minimum standard of thread necros these days, man, some of you are REALLY in trouble.....lol.  :blink:

However, with that said, Wolford will be my new favorite QB, since I plan to adopt the horrible Yellow-Green Hotshots as my AAF team of preference (at least till VA gets a minor league team of it's very own).

So, yeah, um, go Wolford!  He's AWESOME!

In all seriousness, that's what the AAF is for, for lesser or ignored prospects to prove something.  Long overdue tbqh for the NFL to have something like this.

Would you rather have Hackenberg or Davis Webb? My point was that immediately upon the Bridgewater trade you were complaining about them signing this guy, who is, I repeat, a valid NFL prospect. 

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Would you rather have Hackenberg or Davis Webb? My point was that immediately upon the Bridgewater trade you were complaining about them signing this guy, who is, I repeat, a valid NFL prospect. 

Yeah but does he have a tough guy beard, a bachelors from Harvard and wet noodle for an arm?  

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

If it were about what I want, our starting QB would currently be Deshaun Watson, so clearly what I think is irrelevant.

Seriously tho, this may be the funniest backslap thread necro in my memory.  Kudos to you fo SO nailing this, I guess.

If he is a valid NFL prospect, I look forward to seeing him playing in preseason on an NFL roster.  

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

If it were about what I want, our starting QB would currently be Deshaun Watson, so clearly what I think is irrelevant.

Seriously tho, this may be the funniest backslap thread necro in my memory.  Kudos to you fo SO nailing this, I guess.

If he is a valid NFL prospect, I look forward to seeing him playing in preseason on an NFL roster.  

That's just it.  I am not slapping myself on the back.  I didn't nail anything.  I was just pointing out that this guy wasn't the joke investment banker that you thought he was.  We'd probably both have gone with Watson and we'd probably both be wrong not to have gone with Mahomes.

There are literally hundreds of fringe guys like this that you never heard of, some of them will belong on an NFL roster and one may be the next Kurt Warner or Tony Romo.  If you sit on "name" guys, you will never find out.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

That's just it.  I am not slapping myself on the back.  I didn't nail anything.  I was just pointing out that this guy wasn't the joke investment banker that you thought he was.

Again, the guy has played one good game, in a minor league.  This alone does not justify and legitimize anything whatsoever.  It's one game.  In the minors.  I'm not going to eliminate the possibility that he may become something yet, but we're far, FAR from that being real today.

We'd probably both have gone with Watson and we'd probably both be wrong not to have gone with Mahomes.

No question I would be wrong, as I was clear at the time I would not "reach" on Mahomes.  But like Brady/Bellichek, I reamin unsure that Mahomes without the walrus would be the stud he is with the Walrus.  System and coaching plays more of a role in great QB's than alot of folks like to admit.

There are literally hundreds of fringe guys like this that you never heard of, some of them will belong on an NFL roster and one may be the next Kurt Warner or Tony Romo.  If you sit on "name" guys, you will never find out.

I am generally not a fan of worn out old "name" Qb's, and frankly I cannot recall our debate back when beyond the fact that I minimized this guy (who to me was a no name, had never really heard of him, nor heard him being any kind of legit prospect, i.e. he was a roster spot placeholder).

The AAF is full of these guys, hell people on this very site wanted to sign Metzenberger to be our new all-pro franchise QB at one point (lol) and even Hackenberg had his fanbois here at JN too (lol).  I'm not going to suddenly think either of those two gusy is legit if they have a good game at the AAF level.

Lets talk when the season is over, and we have some meaningful play over time from all these minor league guys, and then we'll have a basis to judge their NFL-level potential.  That's my view.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Again, the guy has played one good game, in a minor league.  This alone does not justify and legitimize anything whatsoever.  It's one game.  In the minors.  I'm not going to eliminate the possibility that he may become something yet, but we're far, FAR from that being real today.

No question I would be wrong, as I was clear at the time I would not "reach" on Mahomes.  But like Brady/Bellichek, I reamin unsure that Mahomes without the walrus would be the stud he is with the Walrus.  System and coaching plays more of a role in great QB's than alot of folks like to admit.

I am generally not a fan of worn out old "name" Qb's, and frankly I cannot recall our debate back when beyond the fact that I minimized this guy (who to me was a no name, had never really heard of him, nor heard him being any kind of legit prospect, i.e. he was a roster spot placeholder).

The AAF is full of these guys, hell people on this very site wanted to sign Metzenberger to be our new all-pro franchise QB at one point (lol) and even Hackenberg had his fanbois here at JN too (lol).  I'm not going to suddenly think either of those two gusy is legit if they have a good game at the AAF level.

Lets talk when the season is over, and we have some meaningful play over time from all these minor league guys, and then we'll have a basis to judge their NFL-level potential.  That's my view.

You're kind of making my point.  You can't know about these guys unless you get them in camp and work with them.  I never wanted this guy because I said he was going to become Kurt Warner, but if you don't try you'll never win.  You think the guy has to play in the NFL to show his NFL level potential.  He doesn't.  He's done that.  Is it sustainable?  How good can he be?  Who the **** knows, but he is basically free.  It makes much more sense to me than dumping money on old stiffs like Fitzpatrick and McCown.

That's just it.  I am not slapping myself on the back.  I didn't nail anything.  I was just pointing out that this guy wasn't the joke investment banker that you thought he was.  We'd probably both have gone with Watson and we'd probably both be wrong not to have gone with Mahomes.

I’m old enough to remember when Matt Sims was like 34 for 40 against the Philadelphia Eagles in the fourth pre season game. 

5 minutes ago, The12th Man said:

I’m old enough to remember when Matt Sims was like 34 for 40 against the Philadelphia Eagles in the fourth pre season game. 

Bryce Petty:  15/18 for 250 yds, 3 TDs and 0 INTs in the 2017 Snoopy Bowl.  Kid's gonna be a star.

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Still say mistake to trade bridge although darnold looks good so no harm no foul 

At the time of the trade, people were talking about Bridgewater as a franchise QB. A year later, and I think it's questionable whether or not he gets an offer to more than just compete for a starting job. I'm curious to see what his next contract looks like and who it's with. Last year, the trade was discussed as a bird in the hand vs. the potential comp pick they might get in 2020. That pick being a third-rounder being bandied about. Instead, I don't expect him to garner a deal that registers above the fifth round comp pick level. 

I was very vocally in favor of the trade and am glad the Jets have that extra, albeit very late, third rounder this year. Especially, as you say, with Darnold looking good and the Jets missing their second-round pick this year because of him. 

55 minutes ago, The12th Man said:

48 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Bryce Petty:  15/18 for 250 yds, 3 TDs and 0 INTs in the 2017 Snoopy Bowl.  Kid's gonna be a star.

What's your point?  You forgot Brett Ratliff who outplayed both of them.  The point isn't that this kid, or any of them, will be a star.  The point is that they deserve to be in camps and making fun of a GM for trying to hit on a long shot by keeping them on the 90 is silly.

The whole argument here started because people think we should have held Bridgewater.  Well, if we did, we would have less cap space, maybe another 2 wins which would be a worse draft pick, but still last place.  Darnold would still be our only QB under contract.  We aren't sniffing a comp pick, because even if Bridgewater rates at the highest level, that would be cancelled out by our hitting the FA market for C, G, backupQB, WR, EDGE, T, K, etc, etc. 

Wolford looks like the type of kid who could be a solid NFL backup.  Nothing to get excited about, but certainly not a joke. Funny thing is, he kind of reminded me of Fitzpatrick when I watched the pre-draft pieces on him. 

I actually supported dumping him for Davis Webb, based on the higher upside, but IMO Webb is a squid who does not belong in the NFL and he won't amount to anything either.