Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

JetsFanatic

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Good value to get for Bridgewater, but I bet the Saints end up looking at this deal as a steal.

A win-win, I suppose.  I'd have kept Bridewater and even considered a franchise and trade next offseason.  But, it's hard to be mad about this.

Franchising Bridgewater could never be a thing.  It was already too much when it was the $21+M in 2017. It was $23+M in 2018.  Next year with Cousins contract, extensions signed by Ryan, Garoppolo, and Rodgers, it is going way up.

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Macc has made 3 nice trades the last 2 years.

The Sheldon for a 2, Kearse and some cap space was a good deal. 

He signed Teddy, gave him 500k bonus, helped him with his rehab, and traded a 6 for a 3.   Basically traded 500k + a 6 for a 3rd.   Helps make up for not having a 2 next year.

People may argue, trading 3 second rounders for a potential Franchise QB is a steal. 

If only he could draft as well as he can trade.

He also got a first round pick for an injured Revis. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Well Mac vastly overpaid when he traded up from 6 to 3. The trade chart said it should have taken two 2nd rounders not three. Replaced a wasted 2nd rounder for a low third. Not to mention Mauldin, Ardarius, Devin Smith, and Hackenberg say Jets got jack **** with what Mac does with high draft picks that aren't a slam dunk obvious top pick. Wasn't this guy a scout and he drafts worse than Idzik?

Heavens to Murgatroyd!

An extra second rounder (the following year, generally considered a third round pick value) for a franchise QB. What an outrage!

5 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Well Mac vastly overpaid when he traded up from 6 to 3. The trade chart said it should have taken two 2nd rounders not three. Replaced a wasted 2nd rounder for a low third. Not to mention Mauldin, Ardarius, Devin Smith, and Hackenberg say Jets got jack **** with what Mac does with high draft picks that aren't a slam dunk obvious top pick. Wasn't this guy a scout and he drafts worse than Idzik?

"Vastly overpaid"  Brutal assessment.  Im sure the colts said "lets do this for two 2nds and Mac said no - ill throw in a 3rd for fun".  The market is wildly different from the chart when top QBs are in play

The price would have been our first round pick, but given that Mac knew the draft was FULL of the 2 positions we desperately needed, LT and Edge, he instead dealt the second round picks.

Then the best QB prospect in 10 years falls to us, and people cant stop whining.

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Holdout for more and if a starter is injured you have more leverage, what was the rush. 

Genuis GM?  No just a fan how about you someone who likes to personally attack others for their opinion. 

And by doing so take up a roster spot on the 53 man

IF no starter gets injured then what? Let him leave via FA?  Jets won't get a comp pick (in 2020 mind you) because with all their cap $$ they'll be signing more UFA's then losing next yr. 

Mcc can now use that 3rd to package, if necessary, for a pass rusher and / or OT within the next week

A 6th? Do people not realize we have drafted six players from the 6th round the past 2 drafts? (McGuire, Clark, Jones, Nicholson, Cannon & FF)

You can recoup a 6th by trading down a few slots in the 4th or 5th..

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not terrible. It’ll be a late three, but it’ll do. Could have possibly extracted more from a team whose QB will go down between now and week three, but whatever. I’m curious to see what Todd does with the empty roster spot. My guess is that it goes to Juston Burris for a few weeks until Ardarius Stewart gets back from suspension

Will be hilarious if the Saints flip Bridgewater for a second if another QB goes down.

12 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

The trade value chart is thrown out the window when it's for a QB.  Washington traded the 2012 6th overall, 2012 2nd round pick, 2013 1st round pick and 2014 1st round pick to move up to #2 to draft RG3.  The Jets gave up 3 2nd round picks to move from 6 to 3 to grab their franchise QB.  If you still think they overspent you're not paying attention.

Just now, detectivekimble said:

Will be hilarious if the Saints flip Bridgewater for a second if another QB goes down.

Hopefully we thought of that and there is some clause to get us something - doubt it though.

Another advantage of the trade is that now the training camp is all but over, we don't need to split any reps with a guy who wasn't going to be there long term.

I do find it funny that

1. SOJF said we would get nothing for him

2. After the trade, people claimed everyone should like it

3. 3 seconds later, people called it a bad trade -

There should be a feature on this site where you can click on a poster's post and see all of the predictions they have made, so later they can't claim they said it.... LOL

Actually just thinking about it a bit more, the deal is a little less sweet than it seems.  Consider that Bridgewater is on the final year of his contract, which means if he leaves NO he would be part of a comp draft package.  So in 2020, if NO doesn't sign him they would likely receive between a late 3rd or a late 4th round pick in comp value depending on the size of his contract.

That means we got the difference between a 2019 late 3rd-early 4th rounder in value and a late 3rd or late 4th in 2020.  That's not insignificant but well it's a little less than one might think.

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I feel like I called Bridgewater to the Saints but it’s also possible I hedged it by putting the Saints on a list next to another team like the Dolphins. I’m gonna pay myself on the back anyway. 

I’m happy with this but I still feel like we could’ve gotten more at a later date. Because buying a 3rd round pick for 1 million is cool but buying a second rounder for 6 million is cooler.

It is a risk because as the season starts there is no guarantee a team gets desperate or wants to pay that price.  QBs have to learn playbooks.   Plus, it is possible that Teddy remaining on the team causes a distraction in the form of start Teddy groups in the media/locker room, especially if Darnold struggles early.

3 minutes ago, Hael said:

Actually just thinking about it a bit more, the deal is a little less sweet than it seems.  Consider that Bridgewater is on the final year of his contract, which means if he leaves NO he would be part of a comp draft package.  So in 2020, if NO doesn't sign him they would likely receive between a late 3rd or a late 4th round pick in comp value depending on the size of his contract.

That means we got the difference between a 2019 late 3rd-early 4th rounder in value and a late 3rd or late 4th in 2020.  That's not insignificant but well it's a little less than one might think.

Potentially good for the Saints, but pretty sure the Jets were going to do too much in 2019 FA to get a comp pick back for Bridgewater.

18 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Trade chart was something Jimmy Johnson made up 20 years ago for an individual draft.   

Would you rather not have given up the extra second rounder, and 10 years down the road be saying, "man, if only we gave up 1 more second rounder to get the best QB possible"

4 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Yeah cause a player getting traded twice in a nfl calendar year is a common thing .

brees 40 years old . Saints gave up that 3rd for reason 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

He also got a first round pick for an injured Revis. 

Heavens to Murgatroyd!

An extra second rounder (the following year, generally considered a third round pick value) for a franchise QB. What an outrage!

?  You're joking, right? 

That was Shane's boy Idzik. 

25 minutes ago, Hael said:

One figures that New Orleans is going to draft pretty low, and the Jets draft pretty high.  So as you say its likely a late 3rd rounder to early fourth in net value.

This was absolutely the best we could hope for, and a big coup for the Jets.  Bridgewater did us a huge favor by picking us (some say it was  Mac, but it was really Teddy who wanted to play here and chose us over several other suitors)

Yeah.  For the record, the last 5 years the Saints have drafted 27, 11, 12, 13, 20.  

7 minutes ago, Hael said:

One variable you are missing is that compensatory picks are weighted based on the value of guys you lose in FA AND the players you sign. If the Saints sign more FAs then they lose (Teddy being one of them), they get lower round compensatory picks (in 2020).

The assumption by most here (I agree as I hadn't thought of it) is that we will spend so much in FA in 2019 that we wouldn't get a 3rd (or 4th) back if Teddy walked from us

3 minutes ago, Hael said:

The Jets would never ever have seen a comp pick for Bridgewater b/c they have nearly $100 million to spend in FA and any deal Teddy would've signed would have been totally negated by who the Jets sign in FA.  It's smart on the Saints end b/c if he doesn't re-sign with them then they may be in line for a 3rd or 4th round comp pick and they look smart.  It's a win/win for both teams

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Holdout for more and if a starter is injured you have more leverage, what was the rush. 

Genuis GM?  No just a fan how about you someone who likes to personally attack others for their opinion. 

And what happens if a starter on a playoff contender doesn’t get hurt? What do we get at the trading deadline then?  A sixth?  A seventh?

Take the third and run. 

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

There should be a feature on this site where you can click on a poster's post and see all of the predictions they have made, so later they can't claim they said it.... LOL

A better feature would be one that’ll find any of the posts you’re LOLing about, ber 

2 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I was pumped until I saw they sent a 6th to NO, makes no sense...now I am 50/50 on the compensation...seems like not enough.

You're upset at giving up a 6th round pick? While getting a 3rd back? For a guy we picked up off the street? 

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Franchising Bridgewater could never be a thing.  It was already too much when it was the $21+M in 2017. It was $23+M in 2018.  Next year with Cousins contract, extensions signed by Ryan, Garoppolo, and Rodgers, it is going way up.

We'll have like 100M in cap space, we could hold that as long as it took to trade him.  I don't see why it'd be an issue.

I wanted at least a 2nd but unfortunately for us no starters were injured (we came close with Foles shoulder) & teams weren't breaking the doors down as their was just a few places where he was needed as a backup.

Still great to have 2 third rounders in 2019. Macc could package them for a player that drops in the 2nd round they like, or they could find 2 olineman in the 3rd (seems to be a sweet spot for centers, developmental we can play at guard to replace Long).  

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I was pumped until I saw they sent a 6th to NO, makes no sense...now I am 50/50 on the compensation...seems like not enough.

the thing is, bridgewater is still seen as a big injury risk.  the fact that he's made it thru a tc and took a few hits in preseason games isn't going to offset the risk here.  

Archived