Now that Sam Darnold is the official starter..

Patriot Killa

Did Sam Darnold deserve the starting job?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

i've had my criticisms of Darnold this summer but all 3 of these players are at least starting caliber.  The trade of Teddy simplifies matters but the kid has looked better than any Jets QB prospect we've seen maybe ever. I wasn't alive for Joe Willy Namath. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i've had my criticisms of Darnold this summer but all 3 of these players are at least starting caliber.  The trade of Teddy simplifies matters but the kid has looked better than any Jets QB prospect we've seen maybe ever. I wasn't alive for Joe Willy Namath. 

me neither but just going by recent history:  Hack, Petty, Geno, Sanchez (Jets ruined him, but still).  Need I go on?

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

It was circumstantial.  If Teddy was signed longer maybe he doesn't deserve the position but under the conditions, yes.

Darnold outplayed Teddy. Especially in camp which does matter. 

Darnold easily won the job in my opinion. It was not just that he played decent in three preseason games, it was his demonstration of his QB skills and acumen that do not always show up in a box score. And almost never show up in a rookie.

I am certain that he has exceeded all reasonable expectations that the Jets coaching staff and FO had for him.

Most rookie QBs take a year to learn the playbook. Bates has said he knew it and was comfortable with the language and calling plays before practice even began. Bates gave the entire playbook to Sam and did not bring him along slower.

He has shown the ability to almost instantly adapt and change to coaching, and learn from mistakes. Poor ball handling? Gone. Reckless with the ball? Gone. Elongated release? Gone.

He has shown the ability to read defenses and go through his reads like a veteran. He uses his eyes to manipulate the secondary. He has shown the ability to make adjustments and audibles based on the defensive look at the LOS.

He throws with extreme accuracy and anticipation.

He has innate ability to sense the rush and move around expertly in the pocket.

He has unique ability to throw on the run. He knows how to slide and protect himself.

In addition I think we have not actually seen the Darnold offense yet. Bowles and Bates wanted to see him react to specific situations and also protect him behind a porous OL.

We could not ask for a better start to a rookies career than what we have seen from Sam.

16 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

me neither but just going by recent history:  Hack, Petty, Geno, Sanchez (Jets ruined him, but still).  Need I go on?

Man we have sucked at the QB position. Maybe its 15 years before we have to seriously ponder the position again. Romo thinks he will be the best QB in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Man we have sucked at the QB position. Maybe its 15 years before we have to seriously ponder the position again. Romo thinks he will be the best QB in the NFL.

I think Sam will be somewhere between Eli and Roethlisberger 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Darnold easily won the job in my opinion. It was not just that he played decent in three preseason games, it was his demonstration of his QB skills and acumen that do not always show up in a box score. And almost never show up in a rookie.

I am certain that he has exceeded all reasonable expectations that the Jets coaching staff and FO had for him.

Most rookie QBs take a year to learn the playbook. Bates has said he knew it and was comfortable with the language and calling plays before practice even began. Bates gave the entire playbook to Sam and did not bring him along slower.

He has shown the ability to almost instantly adapt and change to coaching, and learn from mistakes. Poor ball handling? Gone. Reckless with the ball? Gone. Elongated release? Gone.

He has shown the ability to read defenses and go through his reads like a veteran. He uses his eyes to manipulate the secondary. He has shown the ability to make adjustments and audibles based on the defensive look at the LOS.

He has unique ability to throw on the run. He knows how to slide and protect himself.

In addition I think we have not actually seen the Darnold offense yet. Bowles and Bates wanted to see him react to specific situations and also protect him behind a porous OL.

We could not ask for a better start to a rookies career than what we have seen from Sam.

THANK YOU!  couldn't have said it better myself.  Practice DOES count.  I was checking this website every day; they keep stats and update you on how each QB is doing each day of practice - how many reps with starters, etc.  McCown had highest compl %, but was just "meh".  Darnold and Teddy were neck in neck in the % category (I think it was 63% - 62% in favor of Teddy) but Sam had MANY more TDs and only 2 more INTs.  AND he's a ROOKIE!  

Personally, after the Falcons game, you could just see a change w/in the organization.  at that point, I think it was Sam's job to lose.  and say what you want, Teddy HAD to absolutely blow him out of the water from then on, and he just didn't.

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

God, I hope so!

Romo:  "Brady -> Rodgers -> Darnold"   from your lips to God's ears Tony!!!

3 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Wolford?  well, at least we can watch our D destroy the Hack!!

I like your three gifs.  while the butt fumble is embarrassing, I don't think it belongs with the other two.  they still hurt to this day....

We might see the first ever pick by the peanut guy in section 120 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

take out the parts with "rookie" in it and it describes Teddy as well.

15 hours ago, jgb said:

We might see the first ever pick by the peanut guy in section 120 

wow.  was I right about the Hack or what?  2 Ints, fumble, sack, delay of game, 16.9 QB rating....need I go on?  this guy almost had as many rushing yards (66) as passing yards (69)!!!

AND...he played better for them against us than he did for us against them last year where if I remember correctly he was like 11 for 31 or something?  Hack -> Darnold  Man, how far we've come!!

7 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

wow.  was I right about the Hack or what?  2 Ints, fumble, sack, delay of game, 16.9 QB rating....need I go on?  this guy almost had as many rushing yards (66) as passing yards (69)!!!

AND...he played better for them against us than he did for us against them last year where if I remember correctly he was like 11 for 31 or something?  Hack -> Darnold  Man, how far we've come!!

Hear that applause? It’s not for you. It’s the sound of 1,000 JN members patting themselves on the back for going out on a limb and making the exact same call.

If you want bragging rights, predict something that isn’t universally known and have it come true.

23 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Is it "official"?  Has there been an announcement from the team?

I am not aware of any official announcements saying SD is the starter.

If anyone has seen one please provide a link.

Honestly? I think Bowles is waffeling and doesnt have the balls to call it at this time and it wont shock me when and if McCown starts week one.

Max's servers will create a mushroom cloud over New York when Bowles gives McCown the week one start.

Archived