The Practice Squad-The Dumping Ground for Mac’s Draft Picks

varjet

Just now, genot said:

If we lose Kearse to another team in free agency, i think it's the Jets hope that Stewart can take his place

I think that the prospect of relying on Stewart to become a major part of the passing game here scares the Jets into giving Kearse an extra $2 mil per season.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that the prospect of relying on Stewart to become a major part of the passing game here scares the Jets into giving Kearse an extra $2 mil per season.

Maybe. If Pryor, though, has a good year. I think he would be a priority.

38 minutes ago, genot said:

If I sound a little bit condescending in some of my posts. Im sorry. That's not how I feel about anyone here. I do believe strongly that Mac is getting a bum wrap, though.

Thank you for that. 

Personally I feel MAC is a bum and that should be a wrap. 

The minimum salary for NFL practice squad players has been rising over the past few years, and it will continue to rise. Increased pay for the players who help their teams prepare for opponents each week but don't get to play in games was negotiated for the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA).

NFL teams in 2018 are able to begin constructing their practice squad rosters Sunday, Sept. 2, at 1 p.m. ET.

Here is all you need to know about NFL practice squads in 2018, including the minimum salary for practice squad players and the rules for practice squad construction.

How much money do NFL practice squad players make?

Practice squad players in 2018 can earn a minimum of $7,600 per week during the regular season and postseason, per the current CBA, but there is no cap on the amount practice squad players can receive.

The minimum salary for NFL practice squad players has increased and will continue to increase annually for the duration of the current CBA. The minimum weekly practice squad salaries for each year are below.

Year Minimum salary

2011 $5,700

2012 $5,700

2013 $6,000

2014 $6,300

2015 $6,600

2016 $6,900

2017 $7,200

2018 $7,600

2019 $8,000

2020 $8,400

NFL practice squad rules

For 320 players, getting let go on roster cutdown day is not the end of the road in the NFL, as each team is granted 10 practice squad players in addition to its 53-man roster.

Beginning at 1 p.m. ET Sunday, a full hour after the waiver claim period following roster cuts, teams are able to begin establishing their 10-man practice squads. Per the NFL: "No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a Practice Player Contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player’s prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system."

An NFL practice squad typically is made up of rookies and undrafted free agents who the team recently cut. Each team can carry up to four veterans — who can have no more than two accrued NFL seasons (six games on the 53-man roster qualifies as an accrued season)on its practice squad, and a player can't be on a given practice squad for more than three seasons. Practice squad players are not eligible to play in games. Teams can sign players from other teams' practice squads as long as the players are added to the new teams' 53-man rosters (active/inactive).

From the CBA: "If a player on the practice squad of one club (Club A) signs a contract with another club (Club B),

(1) the player shall receive three weeks salary at the 53-player minimum even if he is terminated by Club B prior to earning that amount, and 

(2) Club B is required to count the player on its 53-player roster for three games (a bye week counts as a game) even if he is terminated, traded or assigned via waivers to another club or is signed as a free agent to another club’s 53-player roster or another club’s practice squad prior to that time.

"If the player is terminated from Club B’s 53-player roster and signed to Club B’s practice squad, he shall continue to count on the club’s 53-player roster but shall not count against the 10-player practice squad limit until the three-game requirement has been fulfilled. If a player is terminated prior to the completion of the three-game period and is signed to Club B’s practice squad or is signed or assigned to another club’s 53-player roster or practice squad, any salary that he receives from any NFL club applicable to the three-game period shall be an offset against the three weeks’ salary that he is entitled to receive from Club B. If the promotion occurs with fewer than three games remaining in the club’s regular season, the three-game requirement for roster count shall not carry over into the next season."

A practice squad player may not sign to the active roster of his team’s upcoming opponent, unless he does so during a bye week or at least six days prior to the upcoming game.

The only WR that played himself onto the roster is McBride. And it looks like McBride, Cannon, Stewart (did it a bit last year) can handle punts so there’s no way Roberts should make the team. 

Anderson

Enunwa

Kearse

Pryor

McBride

Peake

Hansen

When Stewart comes back you sort out which one of those last three get cut.

2 hours ago, genot said:

You don't have a clue dude. you really don't.

He's pretty well 100% correct.  I know that you, like some coaches and gms would far rather keep sh*tty draft picks just because they're draft picks.  Keep the best players on the roster, its pretty simple, funny how some cannot figure out this simple principle.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not Bowles’ way. He treats all these players like they’re his children, which is a terrible way to run a professional football team. He can go coach D-III football in Kentucky if he wants to be a father figure to kids.

I don't think he treats them that way in private.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't think he treats them that way in private.

We read this periodically—that he’s very tough behind the scenes—yet we never see evidence of it. Sheldon and Mo only got pee-pee spanked because Mehta made it public they were missing meetings.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

We read this periodically—that he’s very tough behind the scenes—yet we never see evidence of it. Sheldon and Mo only got pee-pee spanked because Mehta made it public they were missing meetings.

He babies all the high priced vets.  Has trumaine johnson left his beach chair on the coast yet?

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He handled Mo wrong. No doubt about that. What I see and I will admit some of this is hoping this is accurate, is that he's a different coach today. When he started the media was his friend and he was too trusting. Mo walked all over him Sheldon as well.

I have talked to people who have first-hand knowledge and they say he will dress them up and down in private. And that it's a conscious decision to not be berate them in public.

I don't know who you was yelling at last night but Bowles was yelling on the sidelines late in the game. Definitely hope to see more animation from him because I think it's a good thing. Time will tell.

Really though this year he's going to be judged on the defense they have some parts so is the defense is good and darnold is developing he is going to be okay. If darnold is developing and the defense sucks he's going to be gone.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would just argue that guys like Donahue, Burris, and Hansen don’t deserve practice squad spots because they’re not going to get any more athletic. You could probably add Leggett to this list, but moreso because it sounds like he simply doesn’t like football. 

Watch the next to last play last night when he sold out on a pass between 3 Eagles, knowing he was gonna get destroyed. You may want to recant that part of your post.

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

He handled Mo wrong. No doubt about that. What I see and I will admit some of this is hoping this is accurate, is that he's a different coach today. When he started the media was his friend and he was too trusting. Mo walked all over him Sheldon as well.

I have talked to people who have first-hand knowledge and they say he will dress them up and down in private. And that it's a conscious decision to not be berate them in public.

I don't know who you was yelling at last night but Bowles was yelling on the sidelines late in the game. Definitely hope to see more animation from him because I think it's a good thing. Time will tell.

Really though this year he's going to be judged on the defense they have some parts so is the defense is good and darnold is developing he is going to be okay. If darnold is developing and the defense sucks he's going to be gone.

It’s one of my long-held beliefs that you can’t go from being weak to being a hardass in the same job. Too many people have seen you be soft so your tough act rings hollow. He was popping off last night at fourth stringers, but he never does this to anyone important. That’s weakness. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Watch the next to last play last night when he sold out on a pass between 3 Eagles, knowing he was gonna get destroyed. You may want to recant that part of your post.

You can man up on specific plays, but TE’s get beat up on every play, and that’s what holds back a lot of these athletes who try to play TE. It’s like being a power forward in basketball—you’re in a street fight every time down the floor, but nobody notices. If you’re lucky, maybe you get to throw up a jumper here and there. I don’t know if Leggett wants to do all the fighting in order to get to the three or four jumpers.

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I hope it was Boyer, who needs to go.  But it's probably too late in the PS and w/the upcoming season starting to make a change to coaching staff. What would be a smart move is to hire a ST consultant, an ex-long-time ST coach who is now retired to come in on Friday's / Saturday when ST work is done. Similar to what New Orleans did w/Westhoff last year and they were smart enough to hire f/t for this season

3 hours ago, genot said:

Just one example. Hansen. If he's cut,or goes on the practice squad ,it's only because he was outplayed by two guys who were cut by the teams that drafted them. But people here are willing to label players going into their 2nd or third year ,busts. Watch game film on Stewart, when he was with Alabama. He can ball. Your going to label him a bust, going into his 2nd year. He's not going to get that much of chance this year. He's a slot receiver, and Kearse has that locked up.

Day two players often balled in college and had potential that justifies their selection.  Problem is with these type of players is that they have to continue to progress if theyre going to be NFL players.  Some do and more dont.  Its the players that have to build on their potential.  Obviously doesnt always happen.

3 hours ago, genot said:

Stop it

I just had to severely edit this post. 

Please either learn how to copy & paste articles or don't do it. 

3 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

That's quite the broad range of time you did there. Wouldn't exactly call that a decent job. That's just called investing in an early draft pick. 

But yeah, we need to look at the Steelers and copy whatever they're doing over there with the WR position because all they do is pump out good WR's. 

Pairing our WRs up with a HOF QB would be a good start. LOL

Field Yates‏ @FieldYates

Players with four accrued seasons in the NFL that are released will become free agents immediately. Those with less than four years of tenure will be subject to waivers, giving other teams the chance to claim them.

4 hours ago, genot said:

Just one example. Hansen. If he's cut,or goes on the practice squad ,it's only because he was outplayed by two guys who were cut by the teams that drafted them. But people here are willing to label players going into their 2nd or third year ,busts. Watch game film on Stewart, when he was with Alabama. He can ball. Your going to label him a bust, going into his 2nd year. He's not going to get that much of chance this year. He's a slot receiver, and Kearse has that locked up.

You mouth off about not having a clue -- and then you proceed to post in support/defense of Stewart... (loads the double barrel)

MOST teams have some talent on their roster. They have 2-3 established starters at WR (for example) couple more in development and... guess what... HAVE TO ME DIFFICULT CHOICES -- because they would LOVE to keep them all, but can't.. hence why they surface on SH*TTIER teams that can't draft. 

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The drafts have been pretty ugly. I’m very high on Darnold, but sometimes I have nightmares about him getting Luck’d. I can’t be the only one who looks at Maccagnan and Bowles and sees Grigson and Pagano.

I don't think we will ever know the true talent of this football team until we get a real HC .... As for the Draft's they also have Todd Bowels written all over them. The coach plays a big part in the drafts and what's needed to make their scheme happen. I have not seen anything good from Bowels at all when it comes to scheme, he blitzes a lot but they seem telegraphed and unimaginative. I can watch this defense and the way its called and know exactly whats coming... at least with Rex he did a good job of knowing when to blitz and how to disguise a blitz, and when not to blitz at all remember those 2 playoff games vs Brady and Manning back to back and he rarely blitzed at all dropping players into coverage instead. Todd Bowels so called aggressive defense  is more like here we come from the same damn place we came last time. 

I feel strongly a great coach could get something out of this team but they are as few and far between as Elite QB's but just as important

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I can see Hansen as a Patriot..They need WR..Just seems fitting

Sadly (and terrifyingly) I also agree.   Im so curious what happened to him this summer, it seemed like he knew how to get open last year and supposedly worked hard this offseason which means he cared about getting better 

Just did a quickly list:

Rob havenstein

Ali Marpet

AJ Cann

Jamon Brown

John Miller

Cody Whitehair

Alex Lewis

Dan Feeny

All starting Guards or Centers drafted 15,16,17 that the jets could have taken rather than some of their fail picks at other potions.  And there is about as many who are not starters but listed on the teams depth chart.  If Mac wanted to invest in oline he certainly could have.

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Is there any actual evidence of this?

Yes when Woody the Idiot said they are both on the same level that pretty much tells me Bowles had a big say in who was drafted since he was the one smiling and shaking everyones hands after just about every defensive pick they made. Don't you think most coaches sit down with the GM and tell them what's needed where we lack depth speed ..... Ya think Macc can convince a defensive minded coach to pick a freakin WR in round one ? or even a OL ? IMO this has Bowles written all over it. I could be wrong but I think he has major influence just based on the Safeties picks and the Lee pick

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Yes when Woody the Idiot said they are both on the same level that pretty much tells me Bowles had a big say in who was drafted since he was the one smiling and shaking everyones hands after just about every defensive pick they made. Don't you think most coaches sit down with the GM and tell them what's needed where we lack depth speed ..... Ya think Macc can convince a defensive minded coach to pick a freakin WR in round one ? or even a OL ? IMO this has Bowles written all over it. I could be wrong but I think he has major influence just based on the Safeties picks and the Lee pick

Woody never said this.  Some of you can differentiate between both talk to the owner work then being equal.  Even more ridiculous is talent that fail to mean that people with two distinctly different jobs are equals in drafting.  Do you also believe that Macc makes coaching decisions?  

Macc doesn't have to convince Bowles to take an offensive player, it's his pick, he doesn't need Bowles approval.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Woody never said this.  Some of you can differentiate between both talk to the owner work then being equal.  Even more ridiculous is talent that fail to mean that people with two distinctly different jobs are equals in drafting.  Do you also believe that Macc makes coaching decisions?  

Macc doesn't have to convince Bowles to take an offensive player, it's his pick, he doesn't need Bowles approval.  

Yes Woody did say this sorry to disappoint you

Archived