Predictions for the 2018 season

deucebag

Things are looking up in Jets nation with the arrival and indoctrination of a potential franchise QB.  However aside from the QB there are many holes and flaws within this roster.  So what does that mean as we approach the regular season?

Week 1 @ Detroit .  On the road, noisy stadium, solid pass rush, Matt Stafford.  enough said.  Lions 24 Jets 13. (0-1)

Week  2 vs Miami.  Home opener, pumped up crowd, solid effort from D.  Jets 17 Dolphins 13. (1-1)

Week 3 @ Cleveland.  I may be a fool but I don't see why Cleveland does not get more respect for this upcoming season. Cleveland 23 Jets 13 (1-2)

Week 4 @ Jacksonville  IMO this will be Darnold's worst game of the year, a bloodbath.  Jax 27 Jets 0. (1-3)

Week 5 vs Denver.  Darnold shows his mettle with his best pro effort after his worst   Jets 31 Denver 17  (2-3)

Week 6 vs Indianapolis.  A fun and exciting shootout, Indys inferior defense and inability to run the ball does them in   Jets 38 Indy 30  (3-3)

Week 7 vs Minnesota  A tight defensive battle with Cousins outdoing Darnold in the mistake dept.  Jets 13 Minn 10  (4-3)

Week 8 @ Chicago  The up and coming Bears D picks is the story of the game.   Bears 16 Jets 3  (4-4)

Week 9 @ Miami  This time Miami's pass rush wins   Miami 24 Jets 13 (4-5)

Week 10 vs Buffalo  Jets stay out of last place with a solid effort.  Jets 24 Buffalo 20.  (5-5)

Week 12 vs New England  Bill loves rookie QBs  NE 35 Jets 14    (5-6)

Week 13 @ Tenn  Two mediocre teams one with a better D   Tenn 23 Jets 13  (5-7)

Week 14 @ Buffalo  Buffalo doesnt do anything particularly well  Jets 28 Buffalo 10  (6-7)

Week 15 vs Houston  Houston is rolling at this point of the season.  Houston 34 Jets 20.  (6-8)

Week 16 vs Green Bay  Another mismatch    Green Bay 38 Jets 24  (6-9) 

Week 17 @ NE  An exclamation point on the Todd Bowles error.  NE 41 Jets 21 (6-10)

Darnold 3,800 yds 21 TDs 17 Ints.  Pretty good rookie year...a lot of hope for the future.

A rough draft:

New England 13-3

Miami           9-7

Jets            6-10

Buffalo       4-12

Pittsburgh 12-4

Cleveland   9-7

Cincinnati   9-7

Baltimore  7-9

Jax    13-3

Houston 11-5

Indy  9-7

Tenn  5-11

LA Chargers  10-6

Oak  Raiders  9-7

KC               8-8

Denver  6-10  

NY Giants  10-6

Philadelphia 10-6

Washington  9-7

Dallas 7-9

Green Bay 10-6

Minnesota  9-7

Detroit       9-7

Chicago     7-9

New Orleans  12-4

Carolina       9-7

Atlanta        8-8

Tampa Bay  6-10

LA Rams   10-6

SF             9-7

Arizona      8-8

Seattle      7-9

New England defeats New Orleans in the Super Bowl, Brady announces retirement.

I thought that was pretty good. Of course a bounce or two of the ball the right or wrong way can change this drastically

Question I have, for Darnold to throw 3,800 yards he has to throw downfield. Didn't do that well in the practice that I saw and he did very little of that pre season. However, 9/10 starts a brand new day and maybe that 3,800 turns into over 4,000 

One way or another, this season is going to be more entertaining than those of recent years

For the record, while Stafford and Tate have killed the jets previously, the reports coming out of Detroit is that their defense and particularly their Front 7 are playing VERY poorly.  Outside Ansah, who feasts against the Erek Flowers of the world and then disappears, they have no pass rush, and slow LBs.

Their offensive line is strong so I can see this being a game where Darnold can actually do very well throwing the ball with short mis-direction plays.

That’s about where I am, too: 5-11, 6-10. At the beginning of camp, I thought 7-9, 9-7 was a reasonable range, but the defense was getting roasted by the offense all summer, and then the preseason games started and you saw that the offense kinda sucks, too. No pass rush, a bad OL, awful special teams, and the continued presence of penalties galore all add up to a nightmare season. Sometimes you think a team will be bad and then a few players step up and the team looks functional, but the problems with this team are foundational. It’s gonna hurt.

16 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Things are looking up in Jets nation with the arrival & indoctrination of a potential franchise QB.  However aside from the QB there are many holes and flaws within this roster.  So what does that mean as we approach the regular season ?

Darnold  2,700 yds..  17 TDs..  14 Ints.   ok rookie year... alot of hope/promise for the future  ?

A rough draft :

New England  13-3

Jets            4-12

New England defeats the Rams in the Super Bowl... brady announces his retirement.

fixed ^ ^ 

?

3 minutes ago, jbt said:

2 things i wanna see this season :

sam to look good & progress through the year

Front office to come to their senses and finally see that Bowles is not a good HEAD coach.

fixed ^ ^ 

:beer:

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I only disagree with your Minnesota prediction,  They will just ass kick us.  They have a great defense, a good enough Qb and their offense is very underrated talent wise.

I believe Cousins is a choker and he will feel the pressure of his big contract and passing up more money with the Jets.  If you can stop Diggs and Rudolph, nobody else scares me - will Cook be as good as he was pre-injury?

31 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Things are looking up in Jets nation with the arrival and indoctrination of a potential franchise QB.  However aside from the QB there are many holes and flaws within this roster.  So what does that mean as we approach the regular season?

Week 1 @ Detroit .  On the road, noisy stadium, solid pass rush, Matt Stafford.  enough said.  Lions 24 Jets 13. (0-1)

Week  2 vs Miami.  Home opener, pumped up crowd, solid effort from D.  Jets 17 Dolphins 13. (1-1)

Week 3 @ Cleveland.  I may be a fool but I don't see why Cleveland does not get more respect for this upcoming season. Cleveland 23 Jets 13 (1-2)

Week 4 @ Jacksonville  IMO this will be Darnold's worst game of the year, a bloodbath.  Jax 27 Jets 0. (1-3)

Week 5 vs Denver.  Darnold shows his mettle with his best pro effort after his worst   Jets 31 Denver 17  (2-3)

Week 6 vs Indianapolis.  A fun and exciting shootout, Indys inferior defense and inability to run the ball does them in   Jets 38 Indy 30  (3-3)

Week 7 vs Minnesota  A tight defensive battle with Cousins outdoing Darnold in the mistake dept.  Jets 13 Minn 10  (4-3)

Week 8 @ Chicago  The up and coming Bears D picks is the story of the game.   Bears 16 Jets 3  (4-4)

Week 10 vs Buffalo  Jets stay out of last place with a solid effort.  Jets 24 Buffalo 20.  (5-5)

Week 14 @ Buffalo  Buffalo doesnt do anything particularly well  Jets 28 Buffalo 10  (6-7)

Week 15 vs Houston  Houston is rolling at this point of the season.  Houston 34 Jets 20.  (6-8)

Week 17 @ NE  An exclamation point on the Todd Bowles error.  NE 41 Jets 21 (6-10)

Darnold 3,800 yds 21 TDs 17 Ints.  Pretty good rookie year...a lot of hope for the future.

A rough draft:

New England 13-3

Miami           9-7

Jets            6-10

Buffalo       4-12

Pittsburgh 12-4

Cleveland   9-7

Cincinnati   9-7

Baltimore  7-9

Jax    13-3

Houston 11-5

Indy  9-7

Tenn  5-11

LA Chargers  10-6

Oak  Raiders  9-7

KC               8-8

Denver  6-10  

NY Giants  10-6

Philadelphia 10-6

Washington  9-7

Dallas 7-9

Green Bay 10-6

Minnesota  9-7

Detroit       9-7

Chicago     7-9

New Orleans  12-4

Carolina       9-7

Atlanta        8-8

Tampa Bay  6-10

LA Rams   10-6

SF             9-7

Arizona      8-8

Seattle      7-9

FWIW you have WAY more wins than losses in your overall records. 

But good effort on the schedule and while I'd argue a few of them, I'd as likely be wrong :)

1 minute ago, deucebag said:

I believe Cousins is a choker and he will feel the pressure of his big contract and passing up more money with the Jets.  If you can stop Diggs and Rudolph, nobody else scares me - will Cook be as good as he was pre-injury?

Their D was close to if not #1 in the NFL last year.  Diggs, Rudolph, thelin, cook.  If the jets had any  pass rush at all i might think and upset possible.  Minny won't even have to play good to  win this one, they just are a way better team.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I only disagree with your Minnesota prediction,  They will just ass kick us.  They have a great defense, a good enough Qb and their offense is very underrated talent wise.

Yeah, the Jets have a game every year where they beat a team they have no business even competing against, but I don’t see Minnesota being that team. That squad is going to steamroll us. Bad matchups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo, 10-6 or higher with a chance at the division.  while everyone seems to be focused on darnold, the defense has actually played pretty well.  tighten up the special teams and this team could surprise.

Hoo-boy.  That's like saying "Tighten up a few wrinkles and this could be Kate Upton"

what-causes-wrinkles-1.jpg

Just now, rangerous said:

imo, 10-6 or higher with a chance at the division.  while everyone seems to be focused on darnold, the defense has actually played pretty well.  tighten up the special teams and this team could surprise.

With Kahlil Mack, possibly.  The defense has been good in preseason but the absence of any kind of pass rush is disgusting.  I do not believe we will be able to run the ball on offense, putting too much on a rookie QBs shoulders.

The Jets will win 7-8 games and be competitive in most.  After the first few games, they will not be viewed as an easy out by the rest of the league.  I think they'll go 4-2  in the division, beating the Bills twice, Dolphins and Pats once each.

Darnold will throw for slightly over 3000 yds, 22 TD's, 16 INT, will be a ROY candidate, and prove to the league he's a legit franchise QB.

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s about where I am, too: 5-11, 6-10. At the beginning of camp, I thought 7-9, 9-7 was a reasonable range, but the defense was getting roasted by the offense all summer, and then the preseason games started and you saw that the offense kinda sucks, too. No pass rush, a bad OL, awful special teams, and the continued presence of penalties galore all add up to a nightmare season. Sometimes you think a team will be bad and then a few players step up and the team looks functional, but the problems with this team are foundational. It’s gonna hurt.

I’m pretty much at verbatim with this

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

A rough draft:

New England 13-3

Miami           9-7

Jets            6-10

Buffalo       4-12

Pittsburgh 12-4

Cleveland   9-7

Cincinnati   9-7

Baltimore  7-9

Jax    13-3

Houston 11-5

Indy  9-7

Tenn  5-11

LA Chargers  10-6

Oak  Raiders  9-7

KC               8-8

Denver  6-10  

NY Giants  10-6

Philadelphia 10-6

Washington  9-7

Dallas 7-9

Green Bay 10-6

Minnesota  9-7

Detroit       9-7

Chicago     7-9

New Orleans  12-4

Carolina       9-7

Atlanta        8-8

Tampa Bay  6-10

LA Rams   10-6

SF             9-7

Arizona      8-8

Seattle      7-9

nice.  agree with most except i would switch the following games

week 3 is a win

week 7 is a loss

week 9 is a win

7-9.  hopefully we can pull one more win out - but i'd be happy with 7-9 if Sam does well.

at Detroit Loss 0-1
Miami Loss 0-2
at Cleveland Win 1-2
at Jacksonville Loss 1-3
Denver Loss 1-4
Indianapolis Win 2-4
Minnesota Loss 2-5
at Chicago Win 3-5
at Miami Win 4-5
Buffalo Win 5-5
BYE BYE BYE
New England Loss 5-6
at Tennessee Loss 5-7
at Buffalo Loss 5-8
Houston Loss 5-9
Green Bay Loss 5-10
at New England Loss 5-11

It's possible we beat Miami Week 2, then lose to Cleveland Week 3
It's possible we beat Denver Week 5, then lose to Indy Week 6
It's possible we Lose at Miami Week 9
It's possible we win at Tennessee Week 12
It's possible we win at Buffalo Week 13

Net result is still a 5-6 win prediction (average), or 7 wins max/best case.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I agree on all your points here which is why the Jets NEED to fire Todd Bowles. It is the penalties more than anything that show that he is incapable of instilling discipline in this team. I do not see Darnold throwing for over 3,500 yards, in fact I think it will considerably less. He seems to be gunshy to throw deep, but then again he doesn't get much time either. I see Darnold maybe reaching 3,000 yards.

My BOLD Prediction

Jets start season 3-0. The last game against the Browns on National  television Slinggin Sammy throws fro 250 and 3 TDs in a Jets 27-14 victory. Then the Media frenzy starts with Sammy's face planted on every sports program known to man. The Golden Boy - Can the Jets make the playoffs - The Savior. 10 days of non-stop Sammy whooo boy.

Then we go to Jacksonville. Jet fans turn out in droves with Hope in their minds. Jax's Defense goes thru out porous O-line. Sammy is running for his life and throws 3 picks is sacked 5 times in a Jaguar 31-3 victory. Welcome back to Earth.

Why Not?????

Archived