Pepper Johnson eviscerates Todd, Kacy Rodgers in illuminating interview

T0mShane

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What he is saying is absolutely not a good look on TB or KR and is not something you want to hear about the guys running your defense/entire team. I mean Todd "could care less?" Ouch. 

But, at the end of the day, you also have to remember that Pepper Johnson is now a disgruntled ex-employee. So, quite obviously, you have to take all of this with a huge grain of salt. 

Read the whole interview. He’s also a disgruntled ex-employee of the Patriots and he speaks of them reverently

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Didn't Mo have 12 sacks in 2015 and then broke his leg? I think that and the contract had more to do with it.

EDIT: And Sheldon had 1 sack last year in 15 games for the Hawks  

That's obviously Bowles fault as well for not teaching him correctly from day 1. lol

Pepper Johnson is a bitch for this interview. And he sounds unhinged.

Also, I don't need an unemployable recently fired position coach to tell me that Bowles' blitzes are ineffective because he's sending safeties or allowing zone gaps by allowing players to play off.

I've been bitching about that since 2015.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes but what he says as far as the look of our defense seems to me by the eyeball test to be totally true.

Hmm. Maybe. I don't know that he really gave enough details for me to specifically point to anything he said in particular and make connections to things I have seen in the actual games. It sounds like our defensive coaching staff wasn't on the same page and some folks lost their jobs, as a result of that. 

I personally don't think we can be sure who was really to blame for what. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Hmm. Maybe. I don't know that he really gave enough details for me to specifically point to anything he said in particular and make connections to things I have seen in the actual games. It sounds like our defensive coaching staff wasn't on the same page and some folks lost their jobs, as a result of that. 

I personally don't think we can be sure who was really to blame for what. 

It's all Bowles fault except for the parts that are Adams fault. Trying to simplify everything. Hope this clears up everything. lol

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Hey; I get it. A lot of fans want to Bowles gone. But to take anything a guy who was fired has to say as Gospel is a bit over the top. Consider the source. That doesn't mean that he is lying or even wrong, but consider the source.

yep.  i liked pepper as a player and a coach but then he also said he was black listed, for what?  disagreeing with todd?  there's more to his story than he is letting on.  there's a reason why he's not coaching.

1. The “Todd couldn’t care less” comment is being taken out of context- Johnson is actually completing Bowles because he’s saying Todd has no ego 

2. The dline not matching the secondary thing is pretty absurd. Don’t defensive play calls involve all 11 guys? Couldn’t Johnson have just matched the dline to what the secondary was doing? 

1 hour ago, JetsRay said:

Belichick's defenses were never top of the line. 

This is absolutely correct, but few people seem to comprehend it. The Patriots defenses have consistently been among the worst in terms of yards allowed per game for years. Brady makes up for a lot of deficiencies on that team.

8 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

This is absolutely correct, but few people seem to comprehend it. The Patriots defenses have consistently been among the worst in terms of yards allowed per game for years. Brady makes up for a lot of deficiencies on that team.

2000 17th

2001 6th

2002 17th

2003 1st

2004 2nd

2005 17th

2006 2nd

2007 4th

2008 8th

2009 5th

2010 8th

2011 15th

2012 9th

2013 10th

2014 8th

2015 10th

2016 1st

2017 5th

Those are the points allowed rankings by the Patriots since Bill Belichick has gotten to New England. Top ten scoring defense in 14 of the 18 years he's been there. 7 times in the top 6. Never lower than 17th.

55 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You can say Pepper is disgruntled and all but the results of what we have seen from Bowles and company supports his claims.  It has been baffling watching some of the coverages and overall poor play of the defense.  

And all the high defensive draft picks that are not playing up to their position.

11 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The Giants D in the 80's was pretty special and it was more than just LT.  Also, he won his 1st Superbowl at NE by beating the "greatest show on turf" led by Kurt Warner.  Also the Jets D under Belicheck (and which Pepper Johnson played on) was pretty good too...

18 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Absolutely !  His long, time consuming drives keep the defense on the bench and rested.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would pay good money to read a John Morton interview on the topic.

I was waiting for Bates to be fired this morning for passing 3 times on the goal line last night. I guess Todd will keep that one in his back pocket when he needs a scapegoat this season.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I think Todd Bowles is one of the worst coaches the Jets have ever had. This guy cannot instill discipline in this team that is so penalty prone it's ridiculous. I would have fired him last year.

The Jets were the third least penalized team in both 2015 and 2016. 

There are many reasons to dislike Todd, but the Jets were pretty disciplined his first 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

I think I’m gonna vomit. These defensive principles that Pepper laid out are so basic but the Jets do exactly the above. The corners play off on third and long when we r blitzing so it’s easy pitch and catch for the opposition. I’ve seen the Patriots rumble thru our defense on 3rd downs year after year under Bowles. Does anyone else in the organization not see what’s really going on here? We have talent on defense. Bowles and Rogers need to be gone! I actually believe Pepper Johnson. He is more credible in my eyes than Bowles. I’m think I’m gonna be sick!

I ask this.....Bowles was D backs coach for Parcells in Dallas and Bill brought him to Miami when he became head of football ops...Rogers also coached DLine in Dallas under Parcells and also went to Miami. Pep, as we all know played for Parcells/Belichick. So are we to believe Bowles / Rogers don't know about this sh*t?  Really?!?  

1 hour ago, KRL said:

It's more than fair to be skeptical of Bowles based on his record, but using
the comments of a coach who hasn't gotten a job in 2 years is weak 

Only problem is everything Pepper says is clearly a huge issue, it goes back to week 17 with Revis 10-15 yards off Watkins, and every 3rd down Blitz was an easy pitch, and catch to Watkins for a 1st down, and it’s still going on today, so yes while it’s not a good look for Pepper, and rightfully you can be skeptical based on your reason, but everything he says we have all seen, and thrown our hands up like WTF kind of defensive coverage, and play call was that, and this Pepper J interview explains a lot to me.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty crazy interview you should all read. He consciously pulls Todd’s name out because (as he admits early on in the interview) he’s trying to get back in the League and doesn’t want to burn bridges. I thought it was amazing that Pepper is trying to incorporate stuff he learned from Belichick but he gets vetoed by Todd and Kacy ******* Rodgers, who are now in charge of one of the worst pass rushing defenses in football. Really explains why Mo and Sheldon disappeared, too. 

Just wow. Insightful stuff. But good luck getting someone to hire him now

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Didn't Mo have 12 sacks in 2015 and then broke his leg? I think that and the contract had more to do with it.

EDIT: And sheldon had 1 sack last year in 15 games for the Hawks  

And had to sign a 1 yr deal w/Minny. Seattle didn't want him back. At least for that price

41 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Yes, but unlike Rex, Belicheck understands yards given up means absolutely nothing, it’s all about points scored, and I’d venture the Patriots D who gives up yards galore between the 20’s is year in, and year out are near the top of red zone D, D ranking when opponent pinned inside its own 20, and the MOST important thing points allowed, and red zone turnovers, the Patriots give you 130 yards on 2 drives you walk away with 6 points, or fewer while eating up 10-15 minutes of clock, but during that 10-15 minutes the Patriots also had the ball twice, and scored 14 points in under 5 minutes of possession time while the opposing team shakes its head not understanding how they feel they just dominated a quarter of football, but are losing 14-6.

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

EDIT: And sheldon had 1 sack last year in 15 games for the Hawks  

Mo had his best year under TB.  Got paid and became a dog.  TBs fault.  Obviously. 

TB has coached top defenses before.  Made him a top HC candidate.  All forgotten and a handful of jets fans have turned him into a moron who doesn't know how to coach a D and we should listen to Pepper.  As if he's proven himself

Read the article. I followed Pepper Johnson's career as a NFL player because he played with such a passion, the game seemed to be more than just cashing a check to him. He still has the fire as a coach and I can see why he rubs people the wrong way. That said, he confirms our fan suspicions as to the lack of leadership and cohesive defensive philosophy on the Jets.

There is a reason why the Dolphins, Jets and Bills have been lost in the abyss forever. It's not just luck, much has to do with the command structure and communication within the organisation. 

We had some luck with Darnold but coaching changes, I don't see them having the discipline of what it takes to be a consistent winner. 

27 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Only problem is everything Pepper says is clearly a huge issue, it goes back to week 17 with Revis 10-15 yards off Watkins, and every 3rd down Blitz was an easy pitch, and catch to Watkins for a 1st down, and it’s still going on today, so yes while it’s not a good look for Pepper, and rightfully you can be skeptical based on your reason, but everything he says we have all seen, and thrown our hands up like WTF kind of defensive coverage, and play call was that, and this Pepper J interview explains a lot to me.

edit..nvmnd

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty crazy interview you should all read. He consciously pulls Todd’s name out because (as he admits early on in the interview) he’s trying to get back in the League and doesn’t want to burn bridges. I thought it was amazing that Pepper is trying to incorporate stuff he learned from Belichick but he gets vetoed by Todd and Kacy ******* Rodgers, who are now in charge of one of the worst pass rushing defenses in football. Really explains why Mo and Sheldon disappeared, too. 

I always watch the Jets and wonder that  myself.  Why zone when you blitz?  Make the QB ahold it or throw it away.   I think the Jets, being cautious and over-defensive, assume their blitzes will fail and QB will come free to complete downfield bombs.  They worry about sh*t like that instead of being aggressive and positive.  That is why their blitzes suck. Why do I assume that?  Because Jets.

Archived