Pepper Johnson eviscerates Todd, Kacy Rodgers in illuminating interview

T0mShane

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Are you new to the NFL?

Lol. The Pats have always been in the top 10 in points allowed (fewest). The coaches do something right up there. It's just been recently they've had literally no talent but a few guys.

I'm gonna start this rant off by saying that it is well known that I am no Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers fan.  Like, at all.  I totally expect, and borderline want, Todd to be fired.  A big reason for that is that he hasn't launched Kacy Rodgers into the sun yet.  I've made a 6-10 prediction for this season, primarily because I believe Bowles and Rodgers will cost us games with their coaching.

Quite frankly, you have to be a special type of gullible (I decided to go with the nice adjective) to read this article, or anything else from Deadspin for that matter, and believe a single thing that they put out there as anything else than sensationalist, TMZ-esque, bullsh*t.  Seriously.  If you believe a single thing in this waste of bandwidth, I'm making sure to keep you on a list of people that probably also believe that Alex Jones is being censored by the "liberal agenda that has taken over the internet" and Info Wars is the last bastion of truth and free speech.  You know what the best and most ironic part to me is?  The one year Pepper is b*tching about (where he was, supposedly, pushed aside in terms of input) like was the one year that Todd actually lived up to his billing as a "Defensive Guru".  It was the only f*cking year where we can look back in the Bowles era and say that we had a nasty defense that played well. 

Pepper Johnson didn't "eviscerate" sh*t.  He did a quick interview to put his name out there for attention, made himself look like a disgruntled ex-employee who is pissed off that his last job in the league was 2 years ago, and probably guaranteed that he will never work in the NFL again (hysterical considering that he said in this article that he's trying not to burn bridges so he can get back in the league).  The guy has been passed on by Rex Ryan, Tom Coughlin, and BB for coordinator positions, so something tells me that it is far more likely that Pepper is a guy who thinks he's a lot smarter than he thinks he is and there's a good reason as to why he's been on a nice long "vacation" since being fired.

F*ck Deadspin and f*ck this thread for making me defend Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Lol. The Pats have always been in the top 10 in points allowed. The coaches do something right up there. It's just been recently they've had literally no talent but a few guys.

In the early years they did it more with D.  Brady has changed that some

Jets' coaching in a nutshell:

Todd Bowles is more maligned than he should be, but he still turned Josh McCown‘s career season into a measly five wins. Jeremy Bates has been promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2018 season after serving as the Jets quarterbacks coach for the 2017 season. In other words, the man responsible for Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg‘s development last year is now running the offense for the Jets. Kacy Rodgers has stayed on as the Jets defensive coordinator, coming into his fourth season in the position. Rodgers’ defense gave up the eighth-most yards-per-game in the league and the ninth-most points-per-game in the league last year.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2018/08/31/2018-afc-east-breakdown-by-position-defense-and-special-teams/

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

In the early years they did it more with D.  Brady has changed that some

Damn right, Belichick D when he had studs knocked around Manning, held the greatest show on turf to beat them in the Super Bowl & picked off Wilson to win another one. More times than not those Patriot defenses made big plays at crucial moments. 

Do you feel confident against any team we play driving against us in the 4th quarter for the win since Bowles/Rogers have been here? It's more like oh f*ck, here we go again! I have ZERO confidence in Bowles defense to make a play in crunch time.

44 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I ask this.....Bowles was D backs coach for Parcells in Dallas and Bill brought him to Miami when he became head of football ops...Rogers also coached DLine in Dallas under Parcells and also went to Miami. Pep, as we all know played for Parcells/Belichick. So are we to believe Bowles / Rogers don't know about this sh*t?  Really?!?  

Parcells was the biggest culprit of bringing in his "guys" no matter where he went, it doesn't mean they were the best or brightest they were simply his guys.

I'm amazed people still fawn over this over rated blowhard coach.  He was a great HC with the Giants when there was no salary cap and teams with big $$$( cough Mara Tisch cough) could assemble teams full of great players. After that he always walked into can't lose scenarios like a white knight and always bailed when the going got tough and the cap got tight.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Quite frankly, you have to be a special type of gullible (I decided to go with the nice adjective) to read this article, or anything else from Deadspin for that matter, and believe a single thing that they put out there as anything else than sensationalist, TMZ-esque, bullsh*t.

To be fair, the person who read this and decided it was news worthy to post here is a sensationalist. See: "eviscerates" in thread title.

2 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Jets' coaching in a nutshell:

Todd Bowles is more maligned than he should be, but he still turned Josh McCown‘s career season into a measly five wins. Jeremy Bates has been promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2018 season after serving as the Jets quarterbacks coach for the 2017 season. In other words, the man responsible for Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg‘s development last year is now running the offense for the Jets. Kacy Rodgers has stayed on as the Jets defensive coordinator, coming into his fourth season in the position. Rodgers’ defense gave up the eighth-most yards-per-game in the league and the ninth-most points-per-game in the league last year.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2018/08/31/2018-afc-east-breakdown-by-position-defense-and-special-teams/

I have no idea how anyone can watch what Petty and Hackenberg have put on film and believe that there is a single human being on this planet that could have altered a damn thing about their careers.

Hackenberg looked worse than he ever did for us last night and that is saying something.  Does that make Doug Pederson an idiot?

You can call it bullsh*t all you want but Bowles kicked a field goal down two scores in the 4th quarter on the road against the Steelers, in an early season game. If that doesn’t scream apathy nothing does. 

Also the Monday night game against Indianapolis was the worst effort I’ve ever seen out of a Jets team since the Sunday night game against the Raiders with Kotite. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Parcells was the biggest culprit of bringing in his "guys" no matter where he went, it doesn't mean they were the best or brightest they were simply his guys.

I'm amazed people still fawn over this over rated blowhard coach.  He was a great HC with the Giants when there was no salary cap and teams with big $$$( cough Mara Tisch cough) could assemble teams full of great players. After that he always walked into can't lose scenarios like a white knight and always bailed when the going got tough and the cap got tight.

OK doke..Most coaches do. Overrated blowhard coach? LOL. OK then

6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

To be fair, the person who read this and decided it was news worthy to post here is a sensationalist. See: "eviscerates" in thread title.

I know.  I also know the whole point of starting this thread was to get a rise out of people.  I'm grouchy today so I guess it falls on me for letting it get me riled up.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You can call it bullsh*t all you want but Bowles kicked a field goal down two scores in the 4th quarter on the road against the Steelers, in an early season game. If that doesn’t scream apathy nothing does. 

Also the Monday night game against Indianapolis was the worst effort I’ve ever seen out of a Jets team since the Sunday night game against the Raiders with Kotite. 

This has absolutely nothing to do with a single f*cking thing Pepper Johnson said.  Quite frankly, your conspiracy theory that the guy is a pulling a Mo Wilkerson and dogging it as a head coach might be more ridiculous than anything that goober said to Deadspin, so yeah I'm calling bullsh*t and I don't even want to for the two guys being attacked by this article.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

OMG, the Colts MNF game! I was traveling so I picked up a 6 pack, settled into the hotel room & COULD NOT BELIEVE what I was witnessed in those 1st three drives by the Colts. 21 points, no pass rush, passes by Luck where there was LITERALLY NO ONE ON DEFENSE IN THE F*CKING TV SCREEN! 

Colt WRs & TEs were catching passes & looking like they were shocked at how wide open they were they didn't even run right away! They were like "where the hell is everybody?" 

Ive said this B4, you'd have to go back to the Kotite years to have me more embarrassed to be a New York Jet fan than that game. After that 3rd TD I turned the TV off & proceeded to drown myself in the rest of that six pack. I've said this B4, it might not have been viewed as a kosher move, but from what I witnessed that evening between the lack of effort & just how badly players were out of position ect. If I owned the Jets, I would have sent a message that next f*cking morning when those players heard the news that Todd Bowles was FIRED! 

I honestly believe there is no way Todd Bowles takes us to the promised land, he's a bad coach, terrible in game manager, and now that we lucked into Darnold he WILL eventual get fired. It will be sooner rather than later! 

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I know.  I also know the whole point of starting this thread was to get a rise out of people.  I'm grouchy today so I guess it falls on me for letting it get me riled up.

This has absolutely nothing to do with a single f*cking thing Pepper Johnson said.  Quite frankly, your conspiracy theory that the guy is a pulling a Mo Wilkerson and dogging it as a head coach might be more ridiculous than anything that goober said to Deadspin, so yeah I'm calling bullsh*t and I don't even want to for the two guys being attacked by this article.

He said Bowles doesnt care. I pointed to two instances of clear not caring. Unless you can argue punting when it mathematically concedes a game is actually a good thing, which I doubt. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He said Bowles doesnt care. I pointed to two instances of clear not caring. Unless you can argue punting when it mathematically concedes a game is actually a good thing, which I doubt. 

How about how many times he runs out the clock when he's on the freaking fifty yard line with still fifty seconds on the clock and two timeouts.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

........the pass rush matches the coverage...was one of the things that I could not get done with the Jets..... people didn’t understand that.

.....no one else heard of it.......didn’t take time out to put emphasis on the coverage.

If we are pushing the pocket and the secondary guys are [playing] off, then it’s just pitch and catch [for the offense]. If we’re pushing the pocket and your guys are close, now the pass rush is matching the coverage. If your guys are off and we’re shooting moves, or we’re running pass-rush games, now the pass rush matches the coverage. Because now the coverage is playing for down-the-field passes and we’re rushing the quarterback for down the field passes.

This seems like pretty straightforward stuff. .that kind of basic synergy on its defense.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Thats not what he said at all.  He said Bowles didn't care about the things he was suggesting/bringing up regarding the defensive scheme because he sides with Rodgers and is implying that it's because the two of them want credit for the defensive success so they can say that their scheme and the way they run the defense works.  Implying that Bowles is too  stubborn to listen to advice that goes against what he likes to do is on a whole different level of what you're suggesting. 

Again, unless you didn't actually read what was said, what you're trying to bring up has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the article.

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:
3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

........the pass rush matches the coverage...was one of the things that I could not get done with the Jets..... people didn’t understand that.

.....no one else heard of it.......didn’t take time out to put emphasis on the coverage.

If we are pushing the pocket and the secondary guys are [playing] off, then it’s just pitch and catch [for the offense]. If we’re pushing the pocket and your guys are close, now the pass rush is matching the coverage. If your guys are off and we’re shooting moves, or we’re running pass-rush games, now the pass rush matches the coverage. Because now the coverage is playing for down-the-field passes and we’re rushing the quarterback for down the field passes.

This seems like pretty straightforward stuff. .that kind of basic synergy on its defense.

I have to quote myself because I screwed it up and can't add my comments to my original post:

Nay sayers have at it but to me after watching for 3+ years the above has the ring of truth to it.  

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Thats not what he said at all.  He said Bowles didn't care about the things he was suggesting/bringing up regarding the defensive scheme because he sides with Rodgers and is implying that it's because the two of them want credit for the defensive success so they can say that their scheme and the way they run the defense works.  Implying that Bowles is too  stubborn to listen to advice that goes against what he likes to do is on a whole different level of what you're suggesting. 

Again, unless you didn't actually read what was said, what you're trying to bring up has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the article.

Fair enough I could be looking into it too much.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Considering what you’ve seen with your own eyes and the ratio to offensive coordinators to seasons coached does Bowles strike you as a person open to “new ideas”?

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Shades of when Greg McElroy called the Rex regime an undisciplined disaster and the *real fans* clutched their pearls and pointed out that Greg McElroy was a bad quarterback. Pitiful. 

Hot take:  The Rex regime was an undisciplined disaster AND McElroy sucked.

Hotter take:  Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers suck soggy eggs, but so does Pepper Johnson and nothing he says should be taken at face value because he comes off as a disgruntled know it all who doesn't actually "know it all".

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

^ that’s not what he said either. He meant that Todd didn’t care about the defense being “his”. He has no ego... UNLIKE Rodgers who he is trashing ... read it again.

4 minutes ago, nico002 said:

^ that’s not what he said either. He meant that Todd didn’t care about the defense being “his”. He has no ego... UNLIKE Rodgers who he is trashing ... read it again.

I have no use for a coach that has no ego. Would you take Jimmy Johnson over Todd Bowles? Jim Harbaugh? Doug Pederson did exactly what Belichick didn't think he'd do, go for it on his side of the field! BIG BRASS BALLS! 

Thats what you need for an NFL coach & to win a Super Bowl. Bowles has proven over & over again he has very small marbles. And his team plays small in big spots, they play timid & they play scared just like him. He should have Darnold come out FIRING on MNF, knock the Lions on their heels but he'll run twice up the middle 1st series, 3rd & 11 with the Lions crowd going crazy, it's his MO. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Considering what you’ve seen with your own eyes and the ratio to offensive coordinators to seasons coached does Bowles strike you as a person open to “new ideas”?

No.

That's not what I'm addressing in that post either.  I'm addressing what Matt took away from the article and suggested based on what he thought was being said, and what was actually said/being implied using Johnson's own words.

The fact that Rodgers hasn't been fired yet tells me that Bowles, for whatever reason, believes he can get the job done.  I don't agree with that nor am I defending him.  That being said, Pepper Johnson, again, has been passed up by 3 head coaches, 2 of which are fantastic defensive coordinators, for DC positions and hasn't been hired by anyone since Bowles kicked his ass to the curb 2 years ago.  So, with all that being said, I'm not going to sit here, look at those facts, and pretend that Johnson has any f*cking clue as to what he's talking about, that he can do better, and is in the right with what he did here.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I have no use for a coach that has no ego. Would you take Jimmy Johnson over Todd Bowles? Jim Harbaugh? Doug Pederson did exactly what Belichick didn't think he'd do, go for it on his side of the field! BIG BRASS BALLS! 

Thats what you need for an NFL coach & to win a Super Bowl. Bowles has proven over & over again he has very small marbles. 

You’re contradicting yourself then. Johnson’s issue is Rodgers ego....

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

You’re contradicting yourself then. Johnson’s issue is Rodgers ego....

What are talking about? You have to have SUCCESS, what the hell has Rogers proven to have an ego. Plus I'm talking about Bowles having NO EGO. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

I ask this.....Bowles was D backs coach for Parcells in Dallas and Bill brought him to Miami when he became head of football ops...Rogers also coached DLine in Dallas under Parcells and also went to Miami. Pep, as we all know played for Parcells/Belichick. So are we to believe Bowles / Rogers don't know about this sh*t?  Really?!?  

Boom!  

#realnews

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The fact that Rodgers hasn't been fired yet tells me that Bowles, for whatever reason, believes he can get the job done

Who gives a sh*t what Todd “believes”? Todd Bowles is ******* wrong. Rodgers is here because he’s Todd’s personal friend and in no material sense is a threat to take Todd’s job, even on an interim basis. When they all get fired, Kacy Rodgers won’t come within a metric mile of another coordinator job the rest of his professional life. 

Archived