Pepper Johnson eviscerates Todd, Kacy Rodgers in illuminating interview

T0mShane

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Ok i did. You really need evidence that the Jets D-backs under Bowles give receivers 10 yard cushions - Do you watch the games at all . 

What the heck are you asking. Yes I have seen every team on every level of football give receivers a 10 yard cushion including the Jets. Again more proof of someone who thinks they more than they do. 

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

What the heck are you asking. Yes I have seen every team on every level of football give receivers a 10 yard cushion including the Jets. Again more proof of someone who thinks they more than they do. 

I'm not the one claiming - well I ran a bunch of it in college. Like your the only poster on here who ever played or coached college ball. Please ignore my posts if you feel your knowledge is so superior to mine. 

43 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am sorry this utter NONSENSE.  Please post one credible source, other than fans sites, that said that the OL deliberately allowed the QB to be sacked..

Just one please....

Thank you

And here are some links to the game:

https://nypost.com/2012/12/23/mcelroy-sacked-11-times-in-first-start-jets-fall-to-chargers/

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/chargers_sack_greg_mcelroy_11.html

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/greg-mcelroy-sacked-11-times-as-jets-lose-to-san-diego-chargers-1.4369521

Oh....we just had an off game......

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'm not the one claiming - well I ran a bunch of it in college. Like your the only poster on here who ever played or coached college ball. Please ignore my posts if you feel your knowledge is so superior to mine. 

You asked a condescending idiotic question. I answered and your panties bunched. No problem. I'm done. 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty crazy interview you should all read. He consciously pulls Todd’s name out because (as he admits early on in the interview) he’s trying to get back in the League and doesn’t want to burn bridges. I thought it was amazing that Pepper is trying to incorporate stuff he learned from Belichick but he gets vetoed by Todd and Kacy ******* Rodgers, who are now in charge of one of the worst pass rushing defenses in football. Really explains why Mo and Sheldon disappeared, too. 

Makes some serious points that the Jets pass rush and coverage aren't really integrated and Williams for all his talent is not a  3-4 DL as the Jets play it. The Mo stuff makes a lot of sense; guy until he left the Jets was within an hour drive for the first 25 years of his life with everyone kissing his ass. If you don't have an edge monster your coverage has to be more press/man-to-man because otherwise the play is gonna get extended and go bad. Not earth shaking stuff but accurate description of the Jets' defensive failure under Bowles. Do wonder if Johnson threw around "this is how the Bills would do it" a bit too much, but really he's right: what the hell is there about Bowles or Rodgers' record to recommend them? 

Doubt Johnson has a chance of getting a  job unless Bellichick clears him and he knows that. Kinda surprising that for all of Bellichick's control freak rep sounds like a very sensible delegator with his coaches. 

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

1. The “Todd couldn’t care less” comment is being taken out of context- Johnson is actually completing Bowles because he’s saying Todd has no ego 

2. The dline not matching the secondary thing is pretty absurd. Don’t defensive play calls involve all 11 guys? Couldn’t Johnson have just matched the dline to what the secondary was doing? 

If you do not have a monster edge, you have to get up in receivers' faces. Now yes, it can blow up on you and give up big plays. But it has to be done. And the Bowles Jets don't do it. It's how you get alot of 9 yard completions against you on 3rd and 7.

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

"There’s so much Prozac in our water that the run off in the Mississippi is making the fish suicidal. The little fish swim right up to pelicans because they want to die now"

- Alex Jones

-- You

But does this cause frogs to go gay? 

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

What does eviscerates mean?

Asking for a friend.

It means, "to present an opinion on, or statement of fact about, a particular topic or subject matter in a concise, and well reasoned manner, while presenting sufficient and incontrovertible evidence that eliminates all doubt to the veracity and honesty to said claims".

@T0mShane nailed this one.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It sounds like you’re more pissed that this was from the cumrag tabloid trash Deadspin than anything about the merits of the claim. Do we know specifically what was wrong with the Jets defense schematically without being in the room? No. Do we know that the Jets defense blows despite the sh*t-ton of resources pumped into it year after year under Todd? Yes. Does a dude who was ACTUALLY IN THE ROOM have a better idea of what went on in that room than we do? I’D SAY SO MFER. Discount it all you want because it’s Pepper Johnson in Deadspin, but I’d say he’s not too worried about bagging on Todd or Kacy Rodgers because neither of those boneheads are going to get close to being in a position of authority again in their ******* lives. He’s spilling tea on two of the most dead men walking mother****ers in the history of the earth. 

More pissed about him ranting to Deadspin, specifically?  Nah.  More pissed that he tried to absolve himself through a sensationalist cumrag like Deadspin who are going to milk this sh*t like a "Brad Pitt and Jen Aniston's secret reuniting hook-ups" story (seriously guys, those two are done forever give it a rest), and then we have to hear about it from our a**hole beat guys when they get wind of it??  Yeah, for sure.

And yeah, for the record, I'm going to discount what Pepper said, even with him likely being in the room for all this.  Why?  Probably because this is just about the slimiest way any person could ever go about doing this, and his track record (getting turned down for numerous defensive coordinator jobs and having a full blown, Lexapro worthy, meltdown at a press conference) says to me that the guy is a disgruntled, malcontent, nut job who thinks his sh*t smells a lot better than it actually does.  Those guys aren't people worth believing, no matter how much of an agenda I may have against the person they're targeting.  Also, I can't stand the man's head coaching style, but Todd Bowles will almost assuredly get an offer to be a DC when he gets fired.  You'd have to be obscenely naive to believe otherwise.  You wanna know why?  Unlike Pepper, Bowles is respected in the league whether we like it or not.  You constantly hear that about the guy.  You likely won't find Bowles pulling this type of "tea-sipping" bullsh*t in the tabloids if he gets axed.  You won't find Bowles in desperate need of a Klonopin in the middle of a bizarre press conference that makes you come off as a giant cigar of a turd.

Another gem that gives him the credibility of a f*cking politician:

Pepper Johnson: "I knew what would happen with Mo and wanted Snacks to stay!!!!" PFFFFFFFTTTTTTT.  Suck my whole a**hole Pepper, you Captain Hindsight dipsh*t.  If you actually buy what this cuckboi is selling, I've got a bridge to sell you.

One more thing before I dip on this conversation for good, because it's gotten more attention from me and, quite frankly, everybody else, than it truthfully deserves.  For someone who loves to rip on Mehta and the gang for writing articles and making comments like ones found in this piece, you sure seem to flip to a different page when it's something you agree with or think will get a rise out of the board.  Now I know your sadistic, "I love to watch the world burn" ways and can even appreciate it from afar at times, but if it's more of the "rise out of everyone", it's become a bit much lately.

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This is not a balanced man .. I mean he can't even put a constructive criticism together...

'I’m going to tell you this. Todd really could care less. In my experience of dealing with him for two years, he really could care less. So I’m telling on myself. '

Wtf does that even mean??? Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah but like, "spilling tea on dead men" and stuff.

5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

What did I say that's represents a bad argument. Great HC with the Giants. In the salary cap era he rode into bleak situations spent to the brink looked like a hero and left the next HC/GM with the bill of goods when he couldn't complete the task. 

I said he had one of the top coaching trees in the NFL in response to your original statement:

Parcells was the biggest culprit of bringing in his "guys" no matter where he went, it doesn't mean they were the best or brightest they were simply his guys

Says bad argument.  All I responded to was you calling his guys just guys.  That's wrong.  His staffs were great, some of the best.  All the rest has nothing to do his staff and his guys.

15 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Hey; I get it. A lot of fans want to Bowles gone. But to take anything a guy who was fired has to say as Gospel is a bit over the top. Consider the source. That doesn't mean that he is lying or even wrong, but consider the source.

How about the fact that Bowles’ defendes actually suck. This interview may just be a piece of the puzzle but even if you take one piece away the picture is still clear to see

1 hour ago, jgb said:

As many have been saying for years Bowles is a puffed up secondary coach. Not only does he know nothing about the offense, he doesn’t know anything about elements of the defense beyond coverages.

So he’s another Eric Mangini?

2 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

After weeding through the parts where Pepper Jackson takes zero blame for anything ever happening in his career, there is some good nuggets on bowles. Oh man, how much I love to hear things that further confirm beliefs I've already had. 

Is Todd getting another extension for going 5-11 again?

3 hours ago, jgb said:

How about the fact that Bowles’ defendes actually suck. This interview may just be a piece of the puzzle but even if you take one piece away the picture is still clear to see

Sure take it as one piece, but just because many here have an issue with Bowles they discount anything positive as lucky or fake news and anything that supports their cause as gospel. My comments were based on posts like, 'i knew it all along', or 'now we know the truth', or 'this shows...'. I never said that his criticisms were wrong or that Bowles is good, yet, you and another poorly reacted to my post.

If you read my post, at no point to a say the guy is wrong or that Bowles is great. Clearly pointing out that the source may not be 100% reliable and people should take that into account. That appears to be offensive to anyone who has already decided about the 'truth'. Sure it 'may' be a piece of the puzzle, but it may not be. Feel free to neg. rep. away.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

ne more thing before I dip on this conversation for good, because it's gotten more attention from me and, quite frankly, everybody else, than it truthfully deserves.  For someone who loves to rip on Mehta and the gang for writing articles and making comments like ones found in this piece, you sure seem to flip to a different page when it's something you agree with or think will get a rise out of the board.  Now I know your sadistic, "I love to watch the world burn" ways and can even appreciate it from afar at times, but if it's more of the "rise out of everyone", it's become a bit much lately.

I’ll just respond to this bit because the rest is just you working through some sh*t: this is a former Jets assistant giving a first-person view of his experience with the Todd Bowles regime. It’s rare that an assistant provides this sort of candor—disgruntled or not—because it’s fairly easy to get boxed out of the league, as Rob Ryan, Rex Ryan, Eric Mangini, Donnie Henderson, and countless other former Jets coaches can tell you. It’s newsworthy. We’re heading into another guaranteed losing season with a failing head coach and it’s interesting to see *why* these guys fail, similar to the way “Collision Low Crossers” showed us why Rex failed. 

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So this quickly turned into "Mogglez eviscerates TOmShane, an illuminating thread"

“Mogglez grows unreasonably angry at semi-retired coach who thinks Kacy Rodgers—who is quantifiably bad—is bad, and at the journalistic ethics of a sports blog and those who would cut and paste relevant parts of that sports blog.”

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll just respond to this bit because the rest is just you working through some sh*t: this is a former Jets assistant giving a first-person view of his experience with the Todd Bowles regime. It’s rare that an assistant provides this sort of candor—disgruntled or not—because it’s fairly easy to get boxed out of the league, as Rob Ryan, Rex Ryan, Eric Mangini, Donnie Henderson, and countless other former Jets coaches can tell you. It’s newsworthy. We’re heading into another guaranteed losing season with a failing head coach and it’s interesting to see *why* these guys fail, similar to the way “Collision Low Crossers” showed us why Rex failed. 

Plus you’re talking about a team that has routinely over invested in defensive players and high draft picks on defense.  Then you have discipline issues with guys like Sheldon and mo.  This year will either vindicate bowles or finish him as a quality defensive coach, regardless of what pepper says.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Plus you’re talking about a team that has routinely over invested in defensive players and high draft picks on defense.  Then you have discipline issues with guys like Sheldon and mo.  This year will either vindicate bowles or finish him as a quality defensive coach, regardless of what pepper says.

+1. I think THE question of the Bowles regime is, you have good personnel on the defensive line and good personnel in the secondary, so why isn’t the defense any good? Pepper gave some insight into why that happens: because the DL and DBs aren’t working in conjunction with each other. 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

+1. I think THE question of the Bowles regime is, you have good personnel on the defensive line and good personnel in the secondary, so why isn’t the defense any good? Pepper gave some insight into why that happens: because the DL and DBs aren’t working in conjunction with each other. 

I dunno our defense managed to suck in 2008 when your boy Mangini had Darrelle Revis and a good D-line.  I still have PTSD of Matt Cassell and Randy Moss playing against the preven

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

“Mogglez grows unreasonably angry at semi-retired coach who thinks Kacy Rodgers—who is quantifiably bad—is bad, and at the journalistic ethics of a sports blog and those who would cut and paste relevant parts of that sports blog.”

You completely missed the point of Mogglez said.  Completely

Define semi retired.  Twice fired and totally unwanted by anyone, wanting a job but unhireable is semi retired?  As if he chooses to be in his position?  Lol, sure

Pepper is an out of work ... Dumb ... Angry at Bowles POS ... Who gives an F !

that has nothing to do with the fact that Bowles & Rodgers have been pathetic with this Defense

Bowles has many other HC reasons IMO why he should be fired ... But my point here is just D related

Therefore let's just focus on Rodgers to simplify this point

the simple bad decisions on D, that even a dumb angry out of work POS like Pepper can see,  "just regular guys like me & the majority of you fans here can see, as well as statistical proof shows to be bad decisions mean:

How the F has Rodgers not been fired !?!?!?!?!

is there any possible explanation besides he's Bowles's buddy?

if that is the case then this is just one more of many indictments against Bowles

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets Defense since Todd Bowles became Head Coach:

2015 - Ranked 4th in Yards Allowed, 9th in Point Allowed.  Ranked 3rd in Turnovers.  Ranked 13 vs. the Pass, 2 vs. the Run.

2016 - Ranked 11th in Yards Allowed, 28th in Points Allowed.  Ranked 28th in Turnovers.  Ranked 17 vs. the Pass, 11 vs. the Run.

2017 - Ranked 25th in Yards Allowed, 22nd in Points Allowed.  Ranked 20th in Turnovers.  Ranked 21 vs. the Pass, 24 vs. the Run.

Bowles has basically inherited a perennial Top 10 Defense, and reduced it under his leadership to a perennial bottom 5-10 Defense.

Now, is P.J. 100% right?  Judge for yourself.

But the result don;t just speak, they scream.  A Defensive Coach came in, and now three seasons later our Defense is among the worst int he NFL.

We'll see if 2018 is a turnaround, but frankly we shouldn't have to be talking about a turnaround, we never should have seen such a steep and precipitous decline to-date.

I wasnt defending Todd's defense, In fact I think it should have been better. I do place a lot more blame on the gm than our coach however. I think we have drafted so poorly for so long that the cupboard is bare and has been for awhile and quite frankly you can only make so many sandwiches without any meat. 

and I still dont put much into what PJ is saying because if he was so great SOMEBODY would have hired him. 

Archived