Pepper Johnson eviscerates Todd, Kacy Rodgers in illuminating interview

T0mShane

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

+1. I think THE question of the Bowles regime is, you have good personnel on the defensive line and good personnel in the secondary, so why isn’t the defense any good? Pepper gave some insight into why that happens: because the DL and DBs aren’t working in conjunction with each other. 

Other than year one and that was a bear the end Revis & a done Cromartie when did they have a good secondary?  After year one More quit after getting his money.  

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I wasnt defending Todd's defense, In fact I think it should have been better. I do place a lot more blame on the gm than our coach however. I think we have drafted so poorly for so long that the cupboard is bare and has been for awhile and quite frankly you can only make so many sandwiches without any meat. 

and I still dont put much into what PJ is saying because if he was so great SOMEBODY would have hired him. 

So your theory is that Bowles wanted X, Y or Z players, and Macc said "**** you, you'll get R, Q and D and like it"?

I think you're being rather obtuse as to the normal relationship between GM and Head Coach.  Very rarely in the modern NFL does a GM "buy the groceries" with no input or agreement from a Head Coach.

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Other than year one and that was a bear the end Revis & a done Cromartie when did they have a good secondary?  After year one More quit after getting his money.  

Maccagnan gave out roughly $80 million in cash to Skrine, Cromartie, Revis and Gilchrist in 2015. They had Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, Damon Harrison, and Sheldon Richardson on the DL. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Maccagnan gave out roughly $80 million in cash to Skrine, Cromartie, Revis and Gilchrist in 2015. They had Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, Damon Harrison, and Sheldon Richardson on the DL. 

And he just tried to trade the farm for Mack.  Here’s an idea - draft pass rushers rather than safeties, inside lbs who don’t get sacks and DL whose primary asset is run stuffing.  

The only thing illuminating about a former giant and Patriot who claims he is forever blue ripping the bills and Jets after getting fired is how many posters here have believed it was Bowles defense these past few years 

Don't forget to shop peppers vitamin B 12 site yo 

lol

21 hours ago, Jetster said:

If I'm Chris Johnson, Bowles & Rogers are on trial this year regarding the defense these guys are running. 4 years & we're ranked in the 20s? 

We've all posted about the off coverage on blitzes. I've wanted to smash my TV set on 3rd downs & we're playing off beyond the f*cking 1st down markers.

I live in New England, so I watch the Jets & then I see the Pats doing exactly what Pepper was talking about, they'll blitz, play tight, QB throws rushes, defense tackles receiver 3 yards short. 

I came up with the Cigar Store Indian name for Bowles, we need a name for Rogers (Klueless Kacy) would work. 

Hate to defend TB because he does suck as a HC, but our CBs have been trash. 

Hopefully with Trumaine Johnson and Claiborne healthy things change a bit this year. 

16 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

Hate to defend TB because he does suck as a HC, but our CBs have been trash. 

Hopefully with Trumaine Johnson and Claiborne healthy things change a bit this year. 

I hate to be a negative nelly, that perhaps is my bent in life but Trumaine johnson is going to get a real eye opening coming from a team with Donald and a host of other pass rushers to a team with zero pass rushers that have to blitz and thus provide no safety help.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He’s saying Pepper Johnson, and Deadspin, lack credibility and I irresponsibly posted portions of the interview because I’m trying to troll a message board. 

And he's right.  Pepper was a bad coach and a loose cannon as evidence of his presser meltdown. 

Typical is disputing anyone who praises Bowles, pretty much everyone in the media and praising a trash piece by a fired employee.  

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because those were the options available and he inherited a team without CBs. Far different than putting together a talented secondary.  

Sheldon may be the most overrated Jet by fans.  After his rookie season he did nothing

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s funny how we can’t judge Bowles until the roster is loaded with All-Pros, but also we can’t judge Maccagnan for not loading the roster with All-Pros, because everything that’s happened since he got here is the product of circumstances beyond his control.

Because those were the options available and he inherited a team without CBs. Far different than putting together a talented secondary.  

At least its good to learn that Bowles and Kacy Rodgers don’t suck, they’ve just been ritually victimized by Pepper Johnson, the sh*tload of money and draft picks dumped into the defensive backfield on their watch, and a bunch of defensive linemen who used to be good, but then, coincidentally, were not. This has been edifying. I’ll cancel my subscription to Deadspin Premium forthwith. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

It’s funny how we can’t judge Bowles until the roster is loaded with All-Pros, but also we can’t judge Maccagnan for not loading the roster with All-Pros, because everything that’s happened since he got here is the product of circumstances beyond his control.

Those were the options available at the time, man.

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

At least its good to learn that Bowles and Kacy Rodgers don’t suck, they’ve just been ritually victimized by Pepper Johnson, the sh*tload of money and draft picks dumped into the defensive backfield on their watch, and a bunch of defensive linemen who used to be good, but then, coincidentally, were not. This has been edifying. I’ll cancel my subscription to Deadspin Premium forthwith. 

One more post that you've totally gotten wrong.  No one has said anything of this.  I sure as shlt didn't, why is this a response?

Interestingly while talking about the DL that was Peppers responsibility wasnt it? 

55 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We can't?  You do it all the time, who said we can't.

What we can do is not say that he's had a roster of all pros and failed with them.  As was presented.  Two different stories.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more part that you've totally gotten wrong.  No one has said anything of this.  

Interestingly while taking the DL that was Peppers responsibility wasnt it?  

With the 2014 Bills, whose defense finished fourth in points against, these were the DL stats:

Mario Williams: 14.5 sacks, 1st team All Pro, Pro Bowl

Marcel Dareus: 10 sacks, 1st team All Pro, Pro Bowl

Jerry Hughes: 10 sacks

Kyle Williams: 5.5 sacks

*The following season, without Pepper Johnson, these four had 13 sacks *combined* and dropped to 15th in PA

2015 Jets; 9th overall PA, 4th overall ypc against rushing.

Mo Wilkerson: 12 sacks (more than he’s put up, combined, in three seasons since), Pro Bowl

Sheldon Richardson: 5 sacks

Leonard Williams 3 sacks. 

*Following season, Post-Pepper, defense drops to 28th overall PA. Mo and Sheldon are toast, the three DL combine for 13 sacks

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We can't?  You do it all the time, who said we can't.

What we can do is not say that he's had a roster of all pros and failed with them.  As was presented.  Two different stories.

In fairness to Bowles, he’s only had two All-Pros in his entire tenure here (Wilkerson and Marshall, both second team in 2015). Whose fault is that?

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With the 2014 Bills, whose defense finished fourth in points against, these were the DL stats:

Mario Williams: 14.5 sacks, 1st team All Pro, Pro Bowl

Marcel Dareus: 10 sacks, 1st team All Pro, Pro Bowl

Jerry Hughes: 10 sacks

Kyle Williams: 5.5 sacks

*The following season, without Pepper Johnson, these four had 13 sacks *combined* and dropped to 15th in PA

2015 Jets; 9th overall PA, 4th overall ypc against rushing.

Mo Wilkerson: 12 sacks (more than he’s put up, combined, in three seasons since), Pro Bowl

Sheldon Richardson: 5 sacks

Leonard Williams 3 sacks. 

*Following season, Post-Pepper, defense drops to 28th overall PA. Mo and Sheldon are toast, the three DL combine for 13 sacks

So which is it?  Bowles is to blame for Mo falling off and Pepper gets credit for his good season.  

On 8/31/2018 at 12:25 PM, T0mShane said:

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty crazy interview you should all read. He consciously pulls Todd’s name out because (as he admits early on in the interview) he’s trying to get back in the League and doesn’t want to burn bridges. I thought it was amazing that Pepper is trying to incorporate stuff he learned from Belichick but he gets vetoed by Todd and Kacy ******* Rodgers, who are now in charge of one of the worst pass rushing defenses in football. Really explains why Mo and Sheldon disappeared, too. 

I've been saying all along this coaching staff on defense is incompetent and Pepper is pretty much confirming that. We saw what they were doing to Revis and why the slower Revis was getting burned on long coverage when Revis was always known to cover incredibly well in a small window. All that with no safety help up top is exactly what Johnson is talking about. Todd Bowles is a terrible football coach and so is Kacy Rodgers and that's also why I refuse to bash our defensive players I think the scheme stinks and we have been playing guys out of position for years. Sheldon at OLB Skrine who should be in the slot is playing outside. Just dumb football moves our ownership is too stupid to see.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I've been saying all along this coaching staff on defense is incompetent and Pepper is pretty much confirming that. We saw what they were doing to Revis and why the slower Revis was getting burned on long coverage when Revis was always known to cover incredibly well in a small window. All that with no safety help up top is exactly what Johnson is talking about. Todd Bowles is a terrible football coach and so is Kacy Rodgers and that's also why I refuse to bash our defensive players I think the scheme stinks and we have been playing guys out of position for years. Sheldon at OLB Skrine who should be in the slot is playing outside. Just dumb football moves our ownership is too stupid to see.

Remember that stretch of games in 2015 where Cromartie was getting burned down the field by five yards each time and we all thought it was just Cro being lazy? 

So which is it?  Bowles is to blame for Mo falling off and Pepper gets credit for his good season.  

? No, but it is interesting that both the Bills and Jets DLs basically quit the years after Pepper was fired. I’m not saying Pepper Johnson is a master motivator or anything. I’m just saying the parallel is interesting.

44 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In fairness to Bowles, he’s only had two All-Pros in his entire tenure here (Wilkerson and Marshall, both second team in 2015). Whose fault is that?

Maybe a better coach has more pro bowlers since he probably knows how to position his players and scheme vs and offense. As much as Rex was a total Buffoon he certainly knew how to adjust and scheme vs some of the better QB's in the history of the NFL. Todd Bowles can't even scheme aganist Ryan Tannehill and Tyrod Taylor

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Remember that stretch of games in 2015 where Cromartie was getting burned down the field by five yards each time and we all thought it was just Cro being lazy? 

We can go on and on about things exactly like this at some point this coach needs to be called out Im sick and tired of hearing how Todd Bowles is a nice guy and a good football coach. Nice guys we know what they do and we now know why players were constantly late or no shows for meetings they simply had zero respect for the HC.

36 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I've been saying all along this coaching staff on defense is incompetent and Pepper is pretty much confirming that. We saw what they were doing to Revis and why the slower Revis was getting burned on long coverage when Revis was always known to cover incredibly well in a small window. All that with no safety help up top is exactly what Johnson is talking about. Todd Bowles is a terrible football coach and so is Kacy Rodgers and that's also why I refuse to bash our defensive players I think the scheme stinks and we have been playing guys out of position for years. 

That season with Revis 10 yards off caused me to blow a gasket!

i was like I can't believe this rich POS just totally used us to collect a fat paycheck & play like he could care less !?!?!

now with more evidence showing that to be Bowles's DB scheme that he prefers no matter what DB's are back there ... I can heap a huge amount of my hatred & disgust from that season with Revis over to TB

i still have some for Revis's pathetic play that season ... But more than 50% has moved to Bowles/Rodgers 

19 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

We can go on and on about things exactly like this at some point this coach needs to be called out Im sick and tired of hearing how Todd Bowles is a nice guy and a good football coach. Nice guys we know what they do and we now know why players were constantly late or no shows for meetings they simply had zero respect for the HC.

Moreso that it’s becoming a generational thing, too. Cro and Revis got away with murder, which led to Mo and Sheldon doing their thing, and now it seems Darron Lee is half-assing it. It seeps into the marrow of the culture in the building. 

31 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

No you cant.  Its not the fault of any HC that his CB gets beat too often.  Thats ridiculous but totally expected 

Name all the players who were constantly late while we're at it?  Mo and Sheldon?  How often? Constantly?  Where benched and publicly punished?  That was the nice guy approach like the one that Rex was?  

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Moreso that it’s becoming a generational thing, too. Cro and Revis got away with murder, which led to Mo and Sheldon doing their thing, and now it seems Darron Lee is half-assing it. It seeps into the marrow of the culture in the building. 

This is what happens when nobody is in charge. Roseman runs the Eagles. Belichick runs the Patriots. Elway runs the Broncos. Carroll runs the Seahawks. Ozzie ran the Ravens. Coughlin ran the Giants. Payton runs the Saints. You can keep going with this. That's why it's rule number one. Even ahead of cherchez la quarterback because there's teams that have those and still aren't gonna win sh*t, and we might be one of them because in this town the buck stops with goofballs who hire airplanes to fly banners.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This should be enlightening.  What did Cro and Revis get away with?  And which of these led to Mo and Sheldon doing their thing.  Which were what in your mind?  Dont hold back make up something completely crazy.  And tell us all what Bowles is letting Lee get away with that leads you to believe he is half assing it?

Archived