Mack traded to Bears

JetsFanatic

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders will win more games in 2018 than the Jets.  Only position you might say the Jets are better than the  Raiders is in the secondary.( will that be the case by the start of the season- With the money Raiders saved trading Mack I expect CB B Breeland to sign with the Raiders. ( had him in twice already)    Also even without K Mack , the  Raiders are going to generate a pass rush( pass rush will always help a secondary out.  See the Jet's  secondary all preseason was exposed bigtime without any pressure.

Also Paul Guenther ( Raiders DC). Scheme is so good on defense that the Raiders defense will be better than the Jets this year. 

Not sure if anyone ever told you this before, but you are really cute when you are sad.

15 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm seeing a lot of focus on Mack's age.  The facts suggest this isn't such a concern.

Reggie White had 16 sacks in his last season when he was 36 years old.  Bruce Smith had 9 sacks when he was 39 years old!  Kevin Greene had 15 sacks at age 36 and 12 sacks at age 37.  The list goes on.  Dominant pass rushers can still dominate into their mid-30s.  

I think Greene is now 56. Since he is coaching here, how many sacks can we put him down for this year?

15 hours ago, Lith said:

2 tweets from bruce Irvin, 15 minutes apart.  Sounds like someone in the raider organization got to him after the first one:

Let's pay for the app though. Better to hear him be wrong when it is costing you $.

11 hours ago, Vader said:

yeah bergen county is the worst….

he could have lived in gloucester county if he likes farms and never stepped over the hudson into the city.

Or he could have lived in Florham Park or Morristown and never stepped into NY at all.

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Daaaaaayuuuummmmmm

I was all for getting mack but at that price no way Gruden did good here. Glad we didn't go crazy.would have been nice but yeah damn.

Thats crazy.  That much money plus 2 first rounders.

If you look at the history of pmayers being traded for 2 first rounders, it has never worked for the team getting the player.

The Bears won this trade. 

The Bears sent two 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick and a 6th round pick to the Raiders in return for

Khalil Mack, a 2nd round pick and a conditional 5th round pick. 

The Bears would have probably used one of those 1st round picks and drafted an edge rusher. So in reality they gave up just 1 first round pick, a 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder in order to sign Khalil mack to a mega deal that locks him up at the beginning of his prime. And they also get a 2nd round pick to top it off. That's actually what makes this even more awesome.

Also, the edge rusher that the Bears probably would have drafted would have a chance to be good or a bust. But being "good" is much different than being Khalil Mack, arguably the greatest defender in the NFL and clearly the most physically dominant edge rusher in the league...and it aint even close. 

It took balls to make that trade, but it was a trade that they won IMO. If Mack continues on his trajectory he's clearly going directly into the HOF 5 years after he retires...and his retirement wont be for another 8 to 10 years, with atleast 5 of those years being elite years. 

I just read that Gruden said he wasn't involved. That it was McKenzie and the Raiders weren't about to give Mack that kind of contract. I don't believe he wasn't involved. It could have been the owner you'd think going to a new city he'd want his best player signed. To me it shows with Gruden there will be their share of chaos. They fired a good coach to hire him and gave him a huge deal and probably a lot of power. I think I saw something within the past week with McKenzie indicating unhappiness with this entire episode. He's a good GM. Let's see if he can work with Gruden. Not sure if he can. 

I am glad we didn't do the Bears deal for Mack. Great player, but in the Jets situation, way too much opportunity cost for it to be worthwhile. If the Jets gave up 2 firsts and we are conservative and say that we hit on only one, then it cost us a good to pro bowl level player, plus around $17 million a year in cap which could support 3 or 4 depth upgrades for this team. And the timing is just wrong.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:43 AM, chirorob said:

Thats crazy.  That much money plus 2 first rounders.

If you look at the history of pmayers being traded for 2 first rounders, it has never worked for the team getting the player.

Never??????

???????

Dude Keshawn was worth 25 first rounders! The buccs got a steak!! Lol

I incorrectly thought the compensation in this trade was 2 #1's and a #2 going from the Bears to the Raiders.  That's not quite the case.    The Bears did a lot better than I realized here.  Basically the Bears traded 2 #1's for Mack and then moved up (from a 3rd rounder to a 2nd rounder and from a 6th rounder to a 5th rounder).

Trading a #1 is no big deal as you're almost certainly not going to get a guy as good as Mack.  Trading another #1 is also not that big of a deal as you have to give some kind of premium for a superstar like Mack.  If the Raiders don't draft very well on BOTH #1 picks, it's almost a guarantee that they lose the trade.  If they bust on either one, it's a disaster.

Raiders get:

2019 Bears #1

2019 Bears #6

2020 Bears #1

2020 Bears #3

Bears get:

Khalil Mack

2020 Raiders #2

2020 Raiders #5 (conditional)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders

The Bears gave up first-round picks in 2019 and 2020, a third-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2019 to acquire Mack earlier Saturday. In return, the Bears also received a second-round pick in 2020 and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2020.

Archived