Mack traded to Bears

JetsFanatic

In not at all hurt by this. I think trading 2 first rounders for him is not worth it in the slightest. 

I could not agree more. As much as I’d love him on the jets, my predominant feeling was nervous that the jets would give away two firsts and $22 mil for him. We need offense man! O-line and skill positions from the front end of the draft pleeeeeeeease!!!!

I’m relieved

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

The thing you seem to be ignoring, or can't grasp, is the Jets don't just need a good pass rusher to be a contender.  They have other holes to fill as well.  If they traded 2 first round picks and ate up a huge portion of their cap space, where do you envision them filling the other holes?

Would Mack make the Jets better?  Sure.  He'd make them better.  He'd make just about any team better.  Would giving up all that set them up for sustained success over the next 5 years?  That's very debatable.

Save your time and energy.  Some people will never grasp it.  They will also be the first people complaining that there are no draft picks or money left to support the new franchise QB.  

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

On a positive note, there's a good chance we're in play for Bosa next year- who's going to be awesome.

Case in point. What is that chance exactly? There is no way to calculate that. It’s total speculation based on an assumption 1) that “we will be that bad” and 2) we will actually have a chance to draft the best pass rusher. Hypothetically speaking bc who knows? Even if the player was drafted by us which is actually unlikely, he still has to be developed and translate. The inherent risks are real.

we convince ourselves that salvation is through the draft when the facts show just how wrong that mindset is. The draft is a total game of chance. Even Darnold - we got lucky he fell. And we had to trade assets ANYWAY to get up there. And STILL, he hasn’t even taken an NFL snap yet. There is always that risk with the draft. no matter how much we win the draft season. Drafts have to develop and translate.

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The thing you seem to be ignoring, or can't grasp, is the Jets don't just need a good pass rusher to be a contender.  They have other holes to fill as well.  If they traded 2 first round picks and ate up a huge portion of their cap space, where do you envision them filling the other holes?

Would Mack make the Jets better?  Sure.  He'd make them better.  He'd make just about any team better.  Would giving up all that set them up for sustained success over the next 5 years?  That's very debatable.

What holes? Be specific. The defense as a whole can not function without a pass rush. Everyone knows that is the biggest hole on the team. It isn’t OL. While OL is somethign you definitely have to draft, remember we are now running West Coast hybrid, zone blocking scheme, have a mobile QB and offense that will feature quick throws, designed rollouts, bootlegs, and significant improv by Sam. These are facts.

you can draft OL depth down the draft. We are carrying multiple TEs and OCs can scheme protection. Something that is much easier than scheming in a pass rush. 

What other positions are more important to draft? RB? WR? 

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think the Jets are a bottom 6 team in the league, which puts you in the mix. Unless Darnold is like Andrew Luck immediately, expect a long year. The defense is going to be brutal.

Bosa will be a top 3 pick, and most of the power rankings by the "experts" have us in the bottom three of the league, so it would seem we are in play for Bosa. But I personally don't think the Jets will be that bad. The Bills, Dolphins and Bucs are three teams I can think of right away that I think will be worse than us.

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I could not agree more. As much as I’d love him on the jets, my predominant feeling was nervous that the jets would give away two firsts and $22 mil for him. We need offense man! O-line and skill positions from the front end of the draft pleeeeeeeease!!!!

I’m relieved

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Can't wait for Mac to turn this dream into a nightmare. 

What exactly do the Bears do in FA that this deal will limit? All they do is overpay mediocre players. Therefore they should be honored with the ability to overpay a top 10 player. What exactly do the Bears do in the draft now? Draft a bunch of scrubs who bust or are average starters. 
Bears invested alot this season offensively in sign Robinson, Gabriel and Burton to help out Trubisky. They also have White who's healthy. Time to focus on defense to try to stop Cousins and Rodgers.
Kalil is a great player but I don't think he is their missing piece. Draft picks and free agency are how you build your team what good will they be if they have a great pass rusher and no team around him because they can't afford free agents and have no first rounders? The raiders had a decent team around Mack and didn't get much done granted they lost their qb in the playoffs but they still had a better team than the bears do in my opinion.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Wow, two first rounders (and possibly a player?) for the right to make Mack the highest paid defensive player in the league?

Meanwhile, you are going to battle with Trubisky as your QB in a division with Minnesota and GB?

Are the Bears really going anywhere this year or next? I just don't see how this trade makes any sense for them. 

Only way I will have a problem with the Jets not upping their offer to match Bears if said rumors are true is IF the Jets trade up next year in the draft using the 2020 1st rounder to do so to draft an edge rusher (unless said edge rusher is Myles Garrett like can’t miss prospect), then they would have had that in Mack for the same price, but no 25 mill per year salary.

If I had to guess the Jets offer was probably 2019 1st, 3rd, Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins, and not shocked that one less player, and another 1st instead of a 3rd from the Bears was much more enticing because Lee is not viewed in the same light around the league as he is here.

Is this trade contingent on the Bears reaching an extension with Mack?  If so Mack might have been the reason why the Bears offer was taken over whatever the Jets offered, maybe Mack wasn’t hot on coming to the Jets, and forced his way to Chicago.

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Wow, two first rounders (and possibly a player?) for the right to make Mack the highest paid defensive player in the league?

Meanwhile, you are going to battle with Trubisky as your QB in a division with Minnesota and GB?

Are the Bears really going anywhere this year or next? I just don't see how this trade makes any sense for them. 

Maybe in 2 years if the Bears are a disaster we can trade for Mack to help them out of their troubles.  Though with Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith they should at least be in games as long as Trubisky isn't a trainwreck.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe in 2 years if the Bears are a disaster we can trade for Mack to help them out of their troubles.  Though with Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith they should at least be in games as long as Trubisky isn't a trainwreck.

Yeah, I mean I know that a lot of people think the Bears are on the rise, but when you are developing a young QB, you really want draft picks/cap space for offensive lineman and weapons. 

42 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think the Jets are a bottom 6 team in the league, which puts you in the mix. Unless Darnold is like Andrew Luck immediately, expect a long year. The defense is going to be brutal.

If this defense is going to be as brutal as you claim, no way am I handing Bowles and Kacey another 2 first round picks to add to this defense. There is no excuse for this defense not to be a top 20 at minimum. If our coaching is so bad, why does everyone believe that one single player will transform it into a top 5 defense?

Every year everyone bitches about not investing in the offense. We finally invest in a QB that seems worthy who needs help. 

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I guess they figure they are going to win a lot of 6-3 games?

A couple of things:

- Congrats to CHI for getting Mack.  With Vic Fangio as their DC and Mack, 
Leonard Floyd & Roquan Smith they could really be a terror defensively.
That type of move says we're ready to win now, but are they?  Has Trubisky
proven he's a franchise QB after being a starter for ONE year at NC and
12 games in the pros:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3039707/mitchell-trubisky

- Maccagnan should've researched what it would take but he did the right
thing in not pulling the trigger.  We aren't ready to win now and can't
afford to give up multiple #1's at this point of our development

- It could get ugly real quick in OAK.  Gruden has too much control and his
mindset seems to be stuck back in 2003 with some of the moves he's made

1 minute ago, rldev said:

If this defense is going to be as brutal as you claim, no way am I handing Bowles and Kacey another 2 first round picks to add to this defense. There is no excuse for this defense not to be a top 20 at minimum. If our coaching is so bad, why does everyone believe that one single player will transform it into a top 5 defense?

Every year everyone bitches about not investing in the offense. We finally invest in a QB that seems worthy who needs help. 

a player like Mack is literally the only single player that can transform it - because of the pieces in place in the secondary. and it doesn’t have to be top 5.

the problem with the defense is that no secondary can keep coverage for more than a few seconds before something shakes open. At that point, the QB will either be sacked, pressured or make a pass.

Pass rush and coverage have a synergy.  

1 minute ago, Vader said:

a player like Mack is literally the only single player that can transform it - because of the pieces in place in the secondary. and it doesn’t have to be top 5.

the problem with the defense is that no secondary can keep coverage for more than a few seconds before something shakes open. At that point, the QB will either be sacked, pressured or make a pass.

Pass rush and coverage have a synergy.  

If Mack is that impactful, why was the Raiders pass D so bad in 2017?

Archived