Jets Trade Sam Cowart to Vikings

Smizzy

Vikings trade for middle linebacker Cowart

Jerry Zgoda, Star Tribune

March 19, 2005 VIKE0319.OL

The Vikings' winter defensive makeover continued Friday, when the team sent a seventh-round pick in April's NFL draft to the New York Jets for veteran linebacker Sam Cowart.

Cowart immediately becomes the Vikings' starting middle linebacker, ending, at least for the near future, a failed experiment with second-year player E.J. Henderson at that position. Henderson will return to a role as a special-teams player and backup linebacker.

"This gives us a veteran leader for our entire defense," Vikings head coach Mike Tice said. "It's a great fit. He has always been a leader and he gives us another piece to the puzzle for what we're trying to do with the defense."

The trade reunites Cowart, 30, with Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who coached Cowart during the former Florida State star's first three NFL seasons with Buffalo and then helped bring Cowart to the Jets as a free agent when Cottrell was defensive coordinator there in 2002.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vikings | Cowart Acquired from Jets - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:19:15 -0800

The Minnesota Vikings have traded an undisclosed draft choice to the New York Jets for MLB Sam Cowart.

So you take Depth away from our LB unit for a 7th rd pick?

Terry Bradway is a clown,anybody who would pick BJ ASKEW IN RD 3 has no clue who to draft in rd 7.

This guy is a joke.

if bradway really did trade sam cowart for a frickin 7th rd pick he should be hung over a cliff with fire ants biting his nutz

this is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!

a 7th rd pick!????

we better sign a good FA now or this will just be a COMPLETE WASTE

I'm thinkin ANDRE DYSON.......

if bradway really did trade sam cowart for a frickin 7th rd pick he should be hung over a cliff with fire ants biting his nutz

Maybe Cowart was threatening to hold out next year if he wasn't cut or traded. If this turns out to be the case then I would prefer to trade him for a 7th than to cut him and get nothing.

what???!!!

a 7th rd frickin pick!!

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!!

we got screwed BIG TIME, we should have gotten at least a 5th rd pick

bradway sucks

You should have gotten a 7th round pick in the arena football league draft for Cowart. He is on the wrong side of thirty and played in only 8 games.

what's worse - trading Cowart for a 7th round pick or cutting him and having him sign with the Pats???

or keeping him as a backup

we got the short end of the straw on this deal

if the vikings can do this to us, we should send a 5th rd pick to the jags for donovin darius. that is how lopsided this trade is right now

I know a 7th rounder sounds like a rip off to me too until you factor in that he was gonna get cut anyway June 1st and Fat Teddy would've gotten him for nothing then.Rashaad Washington was a seventh rounder and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start this year so,it's no gimme that a late round pick like that is a non entity,you never know sometimes you catch lightning with those late rounders-right TexPat?(Tom Brady was a 6th rounder wasn't he?)

what's worse - trading Cowart for a 7th round pick or cutting him and having him sign with the Pats???

Why are you guys so concerned with one of your players signing with another AFCE team?

That is so stupid it makes no sense at all.

Especially a non-impact player such as Cowert.

The Pats had no problems unloading Bledsoe and Milloy to the Bills so what's the big deal?

Why are you guys so concerned with one of your players signing with another AFCE team?

The Pats had no problems unloading Bledsoe and Milloy to the Bills so what's the big deal?

Bledsoe alone set the Jills back 3-5 years. :wink:

The Vikings have agreed to send their own 7th-round pick in the 2005 Draft to the NY Jets for LB Sam Cowart, an 8th-year player who spent 1998-2001 with Buffalo before signing in New York as a free agent in 2002. "The high 7th-round pick we obtained from Oakland in the Randy Moss trade allowed us the flexibility to acquire another starting linebacker and still move up in the round," said Vikings Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski.

Cowart was originally a 2nd-round pick by Buffalo in 1998 when he earned consensus All-Rookie honors. The 1999 Bills ranked #1 in the NFL in defense, led by Cowart's 186 tackles. In his 3rd NFL season Cowart earned a Pro Bowl berth and 2nd-Team Associated Press All-Pro honors after posting 181 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and 2 interceptions. The veteran LB will be reunited with Minnesota defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, his former coach from the Bills and Jets, along with former teammates Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Keith Newman and Ken Irvin from Buffalo.

"Adding Sam Cowart gives us a strong veteran presence and leadership in the middle of our defense," said Head Coach Mike Tice. "Sam has played at an elite level throughout his career and we are expecting him to add that type of performance to our defense."

Cowart notched 100+ tackles in 5 of his 7 NFL seasons and has averaged 9.5 tackles per game over his career. A veteran with strong leadership ability, Cowart has started 73 of his 85 career games played and has opened 4 of his 5 career playoff games.

The Vikings have added 5 veteran defensive starters, LB Sam Cowart, LB Napoleon Harris, FS Darren Sharper, CB Fred Smoot and DT Pat Williams, in the past 3 weeks that bring a combined 339 NFL starts, 57 interceptions, 32 sacks and have played in 3 Pro Bowls.

COWART'S NFL TOTALS

GAMES/STARTS (regular season, playoffs) 1998 (16/11, 1/1-Buff.), 1999 (16/16, 1/1-Buff.), 2000 (12/12-Buff.), 2001 (1/1-Buff.) 2002 (16/16, 2/2-NYJ), 2003 (15/15-NYJ), 2004 (9/2, 1/0-NYJ). Totals - 85/73, 5/4.

Year Solo Asst Total Sacks INTs PBU FF FR

1998 (Buff) 72 47 119 0.0 2 (23) 2 0 0

Playoffs 5 4 9 0.0 0 (0) 0 0 0

1999 (Buff) 117 69 186 1.0 0 (0) 3 1 1

Playoffs 20 12 8 0.0 0 (0) 0 0 0

2000 (Buff) 122 59 181 5.5 2 (4) 5 1 2

2001 (Buff) 1 0 1 0.0 0 (0) 0 0 0

2002 (NYJ) 104 50 154 2.0 0 (0) 8 0 0

Playoffs 5 4 9 0.0 0 (0) 1 0 0

2003 (NYJ) 94 51 145 2.0 0 (0) 7 1 1

2004 (NYJ) 23 18 5 0.0 0 (0) 0 1 0

Playoffs 1 1 2 0.0 0 (0) 0 0 0

Totals 528 281 809 10.5 4 (27) 25 6 4

Playoffs 23 17 40 0.0 0 (0) 1 0

TexP makes a good point-also,he has been abscent since he hurt his leg with Buffalo-he ain't been the same player.last year it looked like the old Sam until until...boom out again.We only get 85 mil to split among what 58 guys?we need the $$ for our young players.we know what Cowart WAS now let's see what a guy like oh say Tim McGill COULD be

Polley and Hartwell are two good linebackers not signed yet as free agents- if we sign one of those guys Bradway will get a reprieve from me

I love the idea of getting Tommy Polley, but I don't think he'll come here to back up, and he's not tough enough to play the strong-side. However, no big deal about Cowart for a seventh. The dude has zero value.

I love the idea of getting Tommy Polley, but I don't think he'll come here to back up, and he's not tough enough to play the strong-side. However, no big deal about Cowart for a seventh. The dude has zero value.

if this frees up what his cap hit was going to be (4 mill) then its a decent deal, but if bradway has the sack to actually sign a good FA with all our cap space then this would be a pretty decent trade

get rid of the cornerback need terry

ty law and andre dyson are STILL on the market, in case you didn't know

Nonsense. That's Jets FO talk. If you are giving a potential starter away ,he's got value,a little anyway.

The Pats could trade a fart and get 4th rd pick for it. The Jets can't get 75 Cents on the dollar.

Archived